• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Mature" just for implied sex?!?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crusaderky

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:01 pm Reply with quote
There are some titles (REC or Kimi ga Nozomu Eien) in which the characters happen to have sex, but you'll never get to see any of it. Such titles have been slapped a "Mature" rating just for it. Don't you think it's excessive?

You can easily look at AD posters when walking on the street with far more sexual content... and Love Hina Again even contains some gratuitous lesbian petting scenes, but it's rated Teen Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 1:40 am Reply with quote
I don't know about REC, but I would definitely put KGNE in 'Mature'.

First, there are multiple sex scense (and they are 'implied' rather heavily) and I believe there is some nudity as well.

However, that alone is not what makes it mature. I would say the overall tone and theme of the show would make it Mature as well.
crusaderky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 5:14 am Reply with quote
Sex scene in KGNE (4-5 scenes in total): first you see the characters kiss with their dresses on (standard, not french kissing), then you see them kiss naked in bed (but you will see far less nudity than in any calendar), and then -- lights out.
Nudity in KGNE: (a couple of scenes in total): the female character stands in bed, pudically but only partially covering her breasts. Oooh, shocking. Confused

Now, if you say that teens will hardly appreciate it, I agree with you, but we're talking about age rating, not age target.

Same applies, IMHO, to Koi Kaze. "Mature" is a bit excessive IMHO. Sure, there is spoiler[incest], and that's not exactly something anybody will stand easily, but I think a teen could actually read it. I mean, there's absolutely nothing graphic and the overall tone is definitely not what one could call "erotic".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Raoh

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:53 am Reply with quote
crusaderky wrote:
Sex scene in KGNE (4-5 scenes in total): first you see the characters kiss with their dresses on (standard, not french kissing), then you see them kiss naked in bed (but you will see far less nudity than in any calendar), and then -- lights out.
Nudity in KGNE: (a couple of scenes in total): the female character stands in bed, pudically but only partially covering her breasts. Oooh, shocking. Confused

Now, if you say that teens will hardly appreciate it, I agree with you, but we're talking about age rating, not age target.

Same applies, IMHO, to Koi Kaze. "Mature" is a bit excessive IMHO. Sure, there is spoiler[incest], and that's not exactly something anybody will stand easily, but I think a teen could actually read it. I mean, there's absolutely nothing graphic and the overall tone is definitely not what one could call "erotic".

Putting a spoiler on Koi Kaze for incest is excessive, in my opinion. Its not as if thats a secret that gets exposed in the last episode or something, its the entire basis of the shows plot.

Also, Love Hina Again has implied incest.

In the case of Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, having seen it, I can say Mature isn't being too excessive at all. It is for mature viewers. The show does show sex. When I mean show, I don't mean it shows it as in its hentai, its more of a "They're in bed, but covered by blankets and no nudity" type. However, the motions are still there, and it is clearly implied.

The fact that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is also based on a hentai bishoujo game probably also helped it to earn the Mature rating. Afterall, parents wouldn't wanna find there kids playing the game, because they watched the show and enjoyed it.

Having not seen REC, I cannot comment on it, but I hope maybe my KgNE comments did help some.
crusaderky

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 7:54 am Reply with quote
Raoh wrote:
The fact that Kimi ga Nozomu Eien is also based on a hentai bishoujo game probably also helped it to earn the Mature rating. Afterall, parents wouldn't wanna find there kids playing the game, because they watched the show and enjoyed it.

Other notorious anime, rated teen or even older children, based on hentai (or at least ecchi) games: Air, Fate//Stay Night, To Heart, To Heart 2 Rolling Eyes
Also, yeah, it's true that KGNE was originally an hentai game, but the anime can be appreciated by women, too, so we really can't do the comparision.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:18 am Reply with quote
I'd say being based on a H-game has very little to do with the rating. And whether or not women can appreciate it has nothing to do with the rating. I believe it is the overall tone and themes of the show that earned it it's rating. The show is very emotional and can be downright depressing at times.

As for REC, there is an implied sex scene in the first episode (between people who had only just met), so that is probably part of it. Don't want to tell kids to go out and screw random people they meet on the street now, do we?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1