• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
Voting for

Chihiro (Spirited Away)
Ringo (Penguindrum)
Chiaki (Nodame Cantabile)
Kenshin (Rurouni Kenshin)
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Shoukei, Twelve Kingdoms
Who She Is: She was the sheltered princess of the kingdom of Hou until the government was overthrown and her father (the emperor) and her mother were executed before her eyes. The emperor had been very cruel to his subjects, excessively executing citizens for minor infractions of unfair laws. The rebels knew she had no idea what had really been happening so they spared her life, but stripped her of all status and immortality. Suddenly living the life of a peasant when previously she had never done a day of work in her life, Shoukei becomes extremely embittered toward the 'ungrateful' citizens of Hou and irrationally jealous of Youko, the new queen of the kingdom of Kei, whose rise to power coincides with her fall.
How She Improves: Shoukei starts out as an oblivious child, who doesn't have any real skills and doesn't care to learn. When she loses her royal status, she blames the commoners around her for being too lazy and selfish to follow her father's laws. She flees from Hou and in the kingdom of Ryu meets Rakushun, a half beast half human. Traveling and spending time with Rakushun slowly opens her eyes to the ways of the world, and she stops blaming Youko for her fall from power.
Picture as a princess Picture as a commoner

VOTING FOR:
Eureka, Eureka 7
Chihiro, Spirited Away
Nanami, Revolutionary Girl Utena - was going to nominate her myself, so glad to see her up! She improves an incredible amount. She starts out a selfish brat who is obsessed with her brother, but by the end she's seeing things in perspective and is the only one who spoiler[gets rid of her rose crest ring.]
Tsubasa, Figure 17
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:

Satou Tatsuhiro, Welcome to the NHK
Tsume, Wolf's Rain
Eva Heinemann, Monster
Saber, Fate/ Stay Night
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Rika Nonaka/ Makino, Digimon Tamers
Taiga Aisaka, Toradora
Madoka Kaname, Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica
Hikaru Shindo, Hikaru no Go
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Uzumaki Naruto, Naruto / Naruto Shippuuden
Haruyuki Arita (Silver Crow), Accel World
Akemi Homura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica

Regarding the votes against Homura:

I was in a dilemma when writing up her nomination because I knew that she didn't change much in the present timeline, but episode was 10 was just so crucial for her as a character that I had to write it. I disliked Homura when she was first introduced in the first episode but as the series continued on, my opinions changed of her because of what we learn. I still think Homura is worthy of being this tournament because of that. We'll see if votes will allow her to have a chance at this tournament.

Vaisaga wrote:

Vote against:

Homura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica) - I don't consider becoming a cold, unfriendly, loner to be an improvement.

Well, Homura appears to be a cold character but that wasn't necessarily true; she doesn't reveal her feelings because of her experiences. My point was that she changed from the fragile girl she was (in episode 10) to a character with a lot of resolve and determination to save Madoka and to a lesser extent, the other Puella Magi. Looking back at Key’s Eligibility Standards, Homura falls into the first two categories; she was unlikeable at first but I grew to love her as a character and, from the viewing of episode 10, she started out as a feeble, disheartened girl nad grew into a girl with resolve and breaks out of the shyness she had; Homura musters up courage and goes through, for lack of better words, hell to save/protect one person.
HaruhiToy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't going to participate in this but I can't believe there is nobody who posted this yet:

Daikichi Kawachi: Usagi Drop aka Bunny Drop.

Who He Is: An ordinary 30-year old bachelor who has no social life outside of work and occasional family events. Although he is respected and liked at his work there really isn't much more to say about him.

How He Improves: Out of a sense of outrage, he takes over the care of a six year old girl that is actually his aunt after her father (his grandfather) passes away. The rest of the family wants nothing to do with her and that is what prompts him to act. Although he is fully ignorant of parenting (as he is told) he is also not clueless, and he learns how to provide Rin with what she needs. He quits smoking, going out drinking, and even applies for a demotion so he can spend the time it takes to care for a child that age. Minor mistakes aside, he turns out to be good at it and not only improves himself, but by example drags the rest of the family into not only accepting but appreciating her. And, I suspect, much of the audience will have been improved by watching his example. From a non-entity he became one of the most inspirational characters I have ever seen in all video art, let alone the anime subset.

sailorspazz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Nominating
Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z

Who He Is: The prince of a warrior race known as the Saiyans. While conquering planets in the far reaches of space, he hears of the Dragon Balls, a magical set of balls that can grant any wish. He travels to Earth to find them so he can wish for immortality. He is unable to overcome the heroes of Earth, but continues to seek out other ways to become the strongest being in the universe.

How He Improves: Not too long after his initial defeat, Vegeta turns from outright villain to reluctant ally (though only when his personal goals coincide with the goals of the heroes, at first). Starting out as a selfish loner, over the course of the series he develops emotional attachments, gaining a wife and child. During the final arc of Dragon Ball Z, he ends up sacrificing his life to protect the planet he has come to call his home. Even after his death, he continues to try to help defeat the villain from the afterlife. Advising the main hero Goku, he comes up with a plan utilizing the Dragon Balls that defeats the villain and saves the universe. He had transformed from a man who only wanted to use the Dragon Balls to increase his own power to a man who used them for completely unselfish reasons, to save the people and planet he had come to know and love.

Picture
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
Voting for

Daikichi Kawachi, Usagi Drop

I had been considering him as well, though I probably wouldn't have been nominating him. Glad you did though, because your nomination reminded me of just how much he did change.
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Supporting:
Taiga (Toradora)
Satou Tatsuhiro (Welcome to the NHK)
Kyoko Mogami (Skip Beat)
Tamaki (Bamboo Blade)
Piccolo Jr. (Dragon Ball Z)
Daikichi Kawachi (Usagi Drop)
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Can we get a list of candidates on the opening post?
Dalvyn

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 7:34 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised Tiaga isn't getting more support.

I'm voting for Tiaga from Toradora.
And Simon from Gurren Lagann.
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Can we get a list of candidates on the opening post?

These may not all be in acceptable nomination format, but for anyone not wanting to read all the previous pages, here are the characters who have been named so far.

Akemi Homura, Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Chihiro, Spirited Away
Daikichi Kawachi, Bunny Drop
Dewey, Nurse Angel Ririka SOS
Eureka, Eureka 7
Eva Heinemann, Monster
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Haruyuki Arita (Silver Crow), Accel World
Hikaru Shindo, Hikaru no Go
Himari Takakura, Mawaru Penguindrum
Ichiko Sakura Binbougami Ga!
Inuyasha, Inuyasha
Ippo Makunochi, Fighting Spirit
Kenshin Himura, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal
Kimihiro Watanuki, xxxHolic
Kyoko Mogami, Skip Beat!
Madoka Kaname, Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica
Mima Kirigoe, Perfect Blue
Mytho, Princess Tutu
Nanami Kiryuu, Revolutionary Girl Utena
Nishi, Mind Game
Noriko Takaya, Aim for the Top! Gunbuster
Piccolo Jr., Dragonball Z
Rei Ayanami, Rebuild of Evangelion
Rika Nonaka/ Makino, Digimon Tamers
Ringo Oginome, Mawaru Penguindrum
Rue, Princess Tutu
Saber, Fate/ Stay Night
Satou Tatsuhiro, Welcome to the NHK
Scar, Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
Sesshomaru, Inuyasha
Shinichi Chiaki, Nodame Cantabile
Shoukei, Twelve Kingdoms
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Soichiro Arima, His and Her Circumstances
Sojiro, Rurouni Kenshin
Taichi Mashima, Chihayafuru
Taiga Aisaka Toradora
Tamaki Kawazoe, Bamboo Blade
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17
Tsukasa, .hack//SIGN
Tsume, Wolf's Rain
Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
Uzumaki Naruto, Naruto / Naruto Shippuuden
Vegeta, Dragon Ball Z
Youko Nakajima, The Twelve Kingdoms
Yukari "Caroline" Hayasaka, Paradise Kiss
Yukino Miyazawa, Kareshi Kanojo no Jijo
Yuu Gotou, Noein

Last edited by Veers on Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:34 pm Reply with quote
You're missing Rue from Princess Tutu.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Veers

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Not anymore!
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 8:56 pm Reply with quote
As of page 7:
Supporting:
Fakir, Princess Tutu
Mytho, Princess Tutu
Rue, Princess Tutu
Simon, Gurren Lagann
Shoukei, 12 Kingdoms
Tsubasa Shiina, Figure 17
Youko Nakajima, 12 Kingdoms
Yuu Goto, Noein
Yukino Miyazawa, Kare Kano

Voting against
Souchiro Arima, His & Her Circumstances-now that I know that the anime ends before his arc actually begins, it's hard to say he's a worthy contender just looking at the anime. I finished the manga like a week ago, and pretty up all of his important improvement is in his arc, which is after the anime apparently ends. So knowing that it's not shown, not matter how awesome it was, it means I have to vote against him here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks Veers.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Awesome list, Veers!

It would probably be worth noting on the list which characters have votes against them, which IIRC would be Homura Akemi, Souchiro Arima, and Sesshomaru.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 28