• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Most Improved Character Tournament: Participants/Minigame

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I run into that same problem when talking about Sankarea and its main character. However, I am not going to make exceptions on the "Western order" standard. Listing her name in that order (or any other character in traditional Japanese order, for that matter) just complicates matters for me when counting votes.

Since I have a feeling people are going to be referring to her as Nodame in any discussion anyway, I don't think this is a huge issue.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Vote for:
Tsukimi Kurashita, Princess Jellyfish

I'm not entirely convinced that Nodame should be here. She is quite likeable and it's not like she has character flaws which she has to overcome, her problems stem from her attitude. I don't want to say I won't vote for her, but I need to think about it.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Well, we have this criteria as well:

Quote:
The character starts with basic powers/skills and gradually develops them to an impressive degree.

I would say Nodame fits that pretty perfectly and that's even without touching upon her maturation on a personal level.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 5:01 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
Well, we have this criteria as well:

Quote:
The character starts with basic powers/skills and gradually develops them to an impressive degree.

I would say Nodame fits that pretty perfectly and that's even without touching upon her maturation on a personal level.

Yeah, you are right, she is an impressive pianist at the end, and even if it is not the point of the series, she qualifies.

Voting for:
Noda, Megumi- Nodame Cantabile
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:51 pm Reply with quote
NOMINATING:

Gaara, Naruto franchise
Who He Is: Gaara is a ninja from Sunagakure (the Village Hidden in the Sand) in the Land of Wind. Because of the deadly rivalry between ninja villages, a One-tailed demon that controls sand, Shukaku, was sealed inside Gaara by his father (the leader of the village) as he was born, accidentally killing his mother in the process. Because Gaara was born to be a weapon, all the children and adults fear him. His loneliness and the villagers' rejection cause him to try to hurt himself, but Shukaku prevents him from all harm with a barrier of sand. His only friend is his uncle Yashamaru, but when Gaara's own father orders Yashamaru to kill Gaara, Yashamaru accepts readily. He explains to Gaara that he blames him for his sister's death and that he never loved him. With this betrayal, Gaara is on the brink of sanity for years and becomes a psychopath, making killing his reason to live. During the Chunin exams (a test of ninja skill), he kills many contestants and cripples others.
How He Improves: Really, it's amazing Gaara is able to come back from all the crap he's put through. His siblings fear him, his father wants him dead and his uncle blamed him for a death that wasn't his fault. Battling with Naruto during the Sand Village's invasion of Naruto's village changes him though. As they battle, Naruto explains that he was also hated and shunned in his village, but he found people who could appreciate him for who he is. Gaara sees Naruto risk his life for the people who used to hate him, pushing himself to protect them even when he can no longer stand. Gaara's defeat at the hands of Naruto causes him to view his situation in a new light; true strength isn't in how many people you kill. He isn't meant to use Shukaku to kill, he should use it to protect. Gaara dedicates himself to finding true strength in protecting others, and eventually becomes Kazekage (the leader and strongest ninja of the Sand Village).
Picture

VOTING FOR:
Hikaru Hitachiin, Ouran High School Host Club
Ayaka Steiger, Kurau Phantom Memory
Leina Vance, Queen’s Blade
Reki, Haibane Renmei
Inuyasha, Inuyasha

Last edited by Tris8 on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
One-Eye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:59 pm Reply with quote
Vote for/Support:
Clare, Claymore. She goes from #47 to being able to hold her own with some of the toughest.
Gaara, Naruto franchise

Nominating:

Seras Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate

Who she is: Seras was originally a young female police officer who, along with the rest of her squad, was sent into Cheddar Village in England to investigate mysterious disappearances and possible homicides of its inhabitants. There she finds a vampire masquerading as a priest had already taken over the town, killed all the villagers, and turned most of them into mindless ravenous ghouls. In spite of her best efforts Seras is captured by the vampire priest, who then threatens to rape and kill her. It is at this point that Alucard the Hellsing organization’s most powerful operative and its own “pet” vampire arrives. Alucard shoots through Seras to kill the rogue vampire priest, and then while she is on the verge of death offers to turn Seras into a vampire to save her from dying. She chooses vampirism, becoming Alucard’s servant and also a member of Hellsing. Throughout the series Seras is one of the few beacons of light, and sometimes comic relief, in a world full of villains, anti-heroes, and horrors.

How she grows/changes/improves: Seras starts off struggling with her change from human to vampire and fears losing her humanity. For this reason she resists drinking blood and does not immediately come into her full powers. At times she shows flashes of her potential, but is hampered by not drinking blood and her own hesitancy to use her abilities. Over time she becomes more confident and evolves from a shy and sometimes wide-eyed innocent to badass Draculina. Seras unlike other characters in Hellsing that throw away their humanity to become monsters, so that they might fight monsters, manages to both embrace her power and hold onto her humanity. Mercenaries and turncoats give her praise saying “she is a good girl”, and even old monsters sometimes soften a tiny bit in her presence.

Pics:
Sweet Seras
Seras fears for her Humanity
Seras levels up to 11

edit: resized pics, added link to ANN encyclopedia

Last edited by One-Eye on Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
rheiders

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:29 pm Reply with quote
Voting For:
Tsukimi Kurashita (Princess Jellyfish)
Gaara (Naruto)
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:41 pm Reply with quote
... Damn, and I had just written up a nomination for Seras too Laughing

Voting for: Gaara (Naruto), Seras (Hellsing).

Also, I'm a bit surprised no one has voted for Rei. Are there no Evangelion fans around here? Or are you just all Asuka fans? Laughing

And here's my last batch of nominations:

Lamia Loveless, Super Robot Wars OG: The Inspector

Who she is: An android from parallel universe, Lamia was sent by the Shadow Mirrors to spy on the Earth Federation forces. While a damaged voice box causes her to talk funny, she dutifully does her mission, firm in her belief that orders are absolute.

How she improves: Lamia is a machine and very much considers herself as such initially. But while spying the personalities of those around her begin to rub off on her. The bonds she forms with them eventually cause her to betray her creators and take action of her own will.

Image.

Honoka Sawada, Chibi Devi!

Who she is: A 14 year old who lives with her aunt due to her parents being dead. She is a lonely girl who is always picked on by her classmates because she won't stand up for herself. Then she ends up taking care of a demon baby...

How she improves: Initially Honoka has no confidence that she can be a mother and tries to get some one else to take care of Mao. However the two bond and Honoka decides to keep at it. She becomes more cheerful and open, making new friends and even falling in love. Through trial and error she becomes a better mother as well.

Kanon Memphis/Hazama, Fafner

Who she is: Kanon lost her family to the Festum and becomes a soldier with the UN forces. She is a strong fighter with a cold personality, believing that a soldier must follow orders and nothing more.

How she improves: At first just a mindless soldier, Kanon breaks down when she is given a choice for the first time. She starts living on Tatsumiya Island and has difficulty adjusting to a more peaceful life. Over time she becomes accostumed to it and becomes a more independant person. By the time of the movie she's become a cheerful person.

Image.

Ruri Hoshino, Martian Successor Nadesico

Who she is: A test tube baby who serves as an operator on the Nadesico, Ruri has a very flat affect, seemingly indifferent to everything and constantly calling those around her idiots.

How she improves: Eventually the zany crew of the Nadesico grow on her and she opens herself more. She comes to see them as her family and when they're all separated she's the most determined to get everyone back together.

Image.

Setsuna F. Seiei, Mobile Suit Gundam 00

Who he is: Gundam Meister of Celestial Being, Setsuna is a former child soldier who has become disillusioned with God and seeks to cut out the twistedness of the world.

How he improves: Initially an unfriendly fellow, he kept his distance from his comrades. He could also be rash and act on his own. Over time he opens up to those around him and four years later he even becomes the team's leader. He is more mature and resolved and eventually he evolves into humanity's next step.

Image.

Luke Fon Fabre, Tales of the Abyss

Who he is: A sheltered rich kid with amnesia, Luke is a spoiled brat and all around jerk. He gets caught up with a girl named Tear and sets off on an adventure.

How he improves: After his ego causes a massive disaster, Luke sees the error of his ways and vows to become a better person. He becomes more humble and works hard to re-earn the trust of his friends. His efforts pay off and he becomes a true hero.

Image.

Wakana Sakai, Tari Tari

Who she is: A high school girl who used to be into music but the death of her mother made her give it up. But not for long because she gets dragged along by Konatsu and her club.

How she improves: Wakana wants nothing to do with Konatsu or her club and is a bit of a downer in general. But once she comes to terms with her mother's death and rekindles her love of music, Wakana ends up being the one who holds the group together.

Image.

Sorry if the write ups are a bit lacking. I'm both tired and sick at the moment.
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Also, I'm a bit surprised no one has voted for Rei. Are there no Evangelion fans around here? Or are you just all Asuka fans? Laughing

I haven't seen it Razz Though I do think I know which one of the main girls is Asuka and which one is Rei! (Asuka has the long hair and red body suit-thing, right?)

Actually most of these final nominees are from series I am not familiar with enough to vote for in nominations, though I have seen a few I think I'll vote for when the tournament gets going.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:14 pm Reply with quote
marie-antoinette wrote:
I haven't seen it Razz Though I do think I know which one of the main girls is Asuka and which one is Rei! (Asuka has the long hair and red body suit-thing, right?)

... You might just be the first anime fan I've met who hasn't seen Evangelion Laughing
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

... You might just be the first anime fan I've met who hasn't seen Evangelion Laughing

I think there are a couple of us here but I don't think I'm part of them anymore -- I got through the first 4 episodes and saw how people treated Shinji which was enraging. I'll finish it sometime but I lack the motivation.

I also need to pick up from where I left off for voting but I'm a bit haze-y from drinking alcohol so I'll hopefully get to it tomorrow.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...I'll probably partly rewrite errinundra's entry. (It contains a factual inaccuracy, for one: the anime never establishes or even implies that Clare was unusual in being a volunteer.)...

I've removed the errors. I guess that was an assumption on my part that became a "fact" in my mind over time. If you want to change anything else, go for it. I'm not happy with that particular write-up. I struggled to make it succint without reading awkwardly.

For today's nomination I want to do someone who develops a skill to the level of expertise. Being a pretend cello player myself helps make this a favourite of mine.

Nominating

Gauche, Gauche the Cellist

Who the character is: In this pre-Ghibli Isao Takahata movie Gauche is a cello player in a small professional orchestra rehearsing Beethoven's Pastoral Symphony for the upcoming cultural festival. Unfortunately Gauche can't keep time, plays out of tune and lacks expression. The conductor is getting more and more frustrated with him while the portrait of Beethoven on the wall of Gauche's home looks down with displeasure as Gauche practices.

How the character improves: In the last few days before the concert a bird, a mouse, a tanuki and a cat visit Gauche and give him instruction on how to overcome his deficiencies. Even though he doesn't treat the encounters with the seriousness they probably deserve he does absorb and apply the lessons they provide. On the night of the concert Gauche's playing is so impressive that the conductor invites him to give a solo performance that wows the audience and his fellow musicians.

Picture

Supporting

Seras Victoria, Hellsing Ultimate

Last edited by Errinundra on Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rosebrook11

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:40 pm Reply with quote
You have no idea how much I'm laughing right now. This is a character I wanted to nominate, but didn't feel comfortable doing so because I had not seen the series and played about half of the video game. But I will give him my support from what my friend has generally described about him and from what I have seen so far.

Supporting
Luke (Tales of the Abyss)
marie-antoinette

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:

I actually know a fair number, many of whom were in my university anime club. I plan to get around to seeing it eventually but I haven't been watching all that much anime period these days (aside from aforementioned re-watching of Princess Jellyfish, which has a good dub which made it easier, since I needed to do some cleaning at the same time as I was watching it).
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
...One concern that I do want to bring up right now: Some of you have been very naughty about how you're formatting your character descriptions. At this point I've gotten through the first two pages and I've already run across two titles that were not in official English form (if one exists). This is required by the posted rules, boys and girls, so if you didn't do that on an entry you wrote then go back and change it NOW. I don't care if you're a Japanese elitist who insists on only using the Japanese version of the name even when there's a commonly-known English version; them's the rules, and if you can't abide by them then I'll disqualify your entries. And yes, this is a personal pet peeve of mine. (Heck, I still know one prominent American-based anime-related Internet personality who still insisted on referring to Neon Genesis Evangelion as Shin Sekai Evangelion. I despise that with a passion.)...

So do I (tallying the titles in the Quote Guessing Game is a pain in the proverbial), but...

Key also wrote:
... Kare Kano...

Twice!

Get thee hence and change them to His and Her Circumstances!

Razz

Last edited by Errinundra on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Contests and Games All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 14 of 28