• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gundam Seed Destiny HD Remaster BDs to Have English Subs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:11 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
isnt seed desitny one of the worst selling gundam franchises?

Not even close. It's sold/shipped over 1 million DVDs as of 2006 in Japan.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:12 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:

No, Gundam Seed Destiny is in fact the best selling Gundam series of the last 15 years. By a ridiculous amount.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:26 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Where's KLAC to defend the honor of Chantal Strand?

The only feature a CE Gundam release needs is an apology.

Please stop making Destiny out to be marginally worse than SEED and stop generalizing ALL the CE era Gundams. Watch Astray, watch Stargazer. Not to mention, the first SEED is pretty good. It's better than that ZZ horseshit and F91. It's also better than that overrated piece of shit known as 0083, which has horrible voice acting and plot and characters. It's also better than that wannabe UC/Wing rip off known as Gundam 00.
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:32 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
Not at all actually. One of the best selling ones in Japan.

Worst? Maybe Turn A, Age. I don't know. Possibly Age.

00 is not a rip-off of Wing. Do people not understand what rip-off means or do they just automatically go "OMG PRETTY BOYS PILOTING GUNDAMS ON A TEAM! MUST BE WING".

Even though:

In Wing they weren't a team until the end.

Seed has pretty boys.

The tone of both show's is completely different.

The point of each show's plot is different.

SIMILARITIES IN GUNDAM SHOWS IMPOSSIBLE!

And then it's quite funny to accuse 00 of being a ripoff and implying it's bad because of it while praising Seed. Even more funny to accuse of it being a UC rip-off in the same sentence of Seed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
potatochobit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:22 am Reply with quote
whoa, whoa, whoa, bro.

0083 is the most realistic gundam show ever made.
there are no amazing psychic pilots going around.

maybe I got confused and heard destiny was the worst performing american gundam series.
I thought most people considered gundam seed the better one.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:28 am Reply with quote
potatochobit wrote:
0083 is the most realistic gundam show ever made.

pffffffffffffffffffffffft

No please, proceed
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:31 am Reply with quote
Maybe he means from the physics and motions, which likely true since 0083 has some of the best mecha animation in the entire metaseries. If you're talking story and characters, only 0080 has really ever worked on a realistic level.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:37 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
the first SEED is pretty good.

Please. I'd almost rather watch AGE again. SEED is utterly devoid of passion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:43 am Reply with quote
@walw6pK4Alo:

0083 also has one of the worst stories and casts of the metaseries. Also, nuclear explosions don't work that way (though X is also guilty of having silly explosions).

Speaking about X, it has a very good cast and a pretty good story. I finished it recently and I have to say that overall, it's probably the best Gundam title I've seen. Pity about it being cancelled - it didn't deserve to be - but I thought the ending was actually alright considering.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 am Reply with quote
X is really great. Also has my all time favorite Gundam (Gundam X Divider)

Best Gundam series is still Turn-A though.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:06 am Reply with quote
@Rahxepon Actually, yes it is. Using violence to bring peace? Gundam W. Invincible Gundams, up until the bad guy gets better mechs? Gundam W. Annoying princess, who is redundant? Gundam W. Personalities?

Wufei=Setsuna. Both are idiots, both have poor social skills and both have unheathly obsessions.
Lockon=Duo. Both are hot blooded, confident and more interesting than their respective main hero.
Tieria= Heero Yuy and Trowa. All 3 have a lack of emotion, but Heero is the type of person, who cares more about the mission than his partners or himself. Like Trowa, he pilots a Heavy Assault unit, which sucks at CQC and is mainly for support.
Al/Hal= Quatre. Both are overly nice, have a more psycho side and are bland.

What else? Schenberg's speech ripped off Doctor J's speech on peace. Another aspect is that the characters of both series are underdeveloped. But W is about 100000X better, despite its flaws.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:11 am Reply with quote
Wing and 00 (season 1) have some thematic similarities, but you heavily overstate them.
WeirDiE_InC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:32 am Reply with quote
And here I was wondering how long it would take until this thread degenerated into the usual.
Besides, we all know which Gundam series is the best: spoiler[The one yet to be made ; )]

Anyways, I think that it's clear that Namco/Bandai currently have no interest in marketing Gundam outside of Asia. Enjoy your boxsets, people in the Philippines.
DomonX2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:38 am Reply with quote
@penguintruth

You UC fanboys are the reasons SEED fans bash the UC timeline. I used to dislike SEED too and I still do, but I also like it a lot. I have a love hate relationship with the show. You're acting like the original/Z have no flaws. Zeta fans are the worst in the fanbase. They call other overrated Gundams like W, SEED and 00 overrated, which people just accept, because it's true to an extent, but because Z's in the UC, when fans of other Gundams call Z overrated, for some reason it's odd, when Z is WAY more overrated than SEED. Z has retarded characters, like Kamille and Katz, which are even worse some SEED characters, plot holes, which make no sense, Some of the fans like AnimeOverviewer nitpick stuff like Zechs spoiler[surviving an explosion in a battleship] and Mu La Flagga, spoiler[getting engluffed in a beam of light and coming back], which is funny, because they're both spoiler[played by Takehito Koyasu], but nobody complains about Char spoiler[survived an explosion and the Hyaku Shiki still being commissioned in ZZ]
Rahxephon91

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:42 am Reply with quote
DomonX2 wrote:
@Rahxepon Actually, yes it is. Using violence to bring peace? Gundam W. Invincible Gundams, up until the bad guy gets better mechs? Gundam W. Annoying princess, who is redundant? Gundam W. Personalities?

Wufei=Setsuna. Both are idiots, both have poor social skills and both have unheathly obsessions.
Lockon=Duo. Both are hot blooded, confident and more interesting than their respective main hero.
Tieria= Heero Yuy and Trowa. All 3 have a lack of emotion, but Heero is the type of person, who cares more about the mission than his partners or himself. Like Trowa, he pilots a Heavy Assault unit, which sucks at CQC and is mainly for support.
Al/Hal= Quatre. Both are overly nice, have a more psycho side and are bland.

What else? Schenberg's speech ripped off Doctor J's speech on peace. Another aspect is that the characters of both series are underdeveloped. But W is about 100000X better, despite its flaws.
You're gasping at any similarity and claiming that it's a rip off.

Using violence to bring peace? Wow a theme in pretty much every Gundam show. Except Wing uses this theme romantically and is more emotional in how it deals with it's themes. 00 takes this very common war theme(GUNDAM IS ABOUT WAR) and spins a post 9/11 spin on it. If your claiming that having a similar theme makes them a rip-off, is very Gundam show a rip-off because they all have similar themes?

Invincible Gundams? So like every Gundam show? How is this a rip-off? A rip-off is when you are stealing actual plot lines and characters. This isn't a rip-off, this is a Gundam thing. And even then the Gundams in 00 are actually probably the most realistic Gundam has seen in the AUs. They can be defeated by numbers, planning or skilled enemy pilots. Is Seed a rip-off of Gundam because those Gundams are overly powerful? Or is Wing a rip-off of G Gundam now?

Annoying Princess? Well is Lacus a rip-off? She's as annoying as Releana.

Quote:
Quote:
Well 1 is the actual main character and the other could be taken out and the show wouldn't change much. But I do like how you are bending these characters to fit your argument. Wu-Fei is extremely rash and hot headed. That's his actual character, while Setsuna is cold and removed. "Idiot" isn't their actual character, that's just your opinion. And a mech character with poor social skills? Well never seen that one before. Let alone your going to ignore the actual reasons behind this, but yes lets just sum it up as "poor social skills" We Fie is an asshole and full of himself, thats why he has poor social skills. Thats not like Setusna at all, who is distance not out of choice or malice, but out of just being screwed up and having a hard time getting close and displaying it. He is still able to communicate with others politely. Their "poor social skills" are developed very differently. Unhealthy obsession? Um no? Setusna's obsession with Gundam isn't technically un healthy, he's a character who's trying to find hope in his scared world view, and the Gundam signify hope and strength for him Where is that in Wu Fei? There's no big honor crap with Setsuna. Are you just looking at things at the most superficial level and not actually thinking what's being said?

Do you go "OMG these two shows both have a character that is in a high school and likes a cute girl OMG rop-off!"

Quote:
The last part is just your opinion, it's not an actual character description. Nothing your saying proves this is a rip off. You're just describing CHARACTER TYPES THAT ARE IN EVERY MECH SHOW, NO ANIME EVER. These character's don't behave at all the same in their respective plot, but please actually ignore that to try and make a point. Lock On is the older inspirational character, who not only serves to inspire and help develop Setsuna and Terria. Duo dosen't even come close to fill-fulling the same role in Wing's story. If he did then you'd have an actual point. But that is'nt even Duo. He's the carefree character. So is Lock-On, but care free with Hidden past! He's also somewhat of a hypocrite, who really can't let go. Where is this in Duo's character? Where does Duo serve as the supporting guidance role? Where does Duo act like the wise character who seems to emotionally support the entire crew? Is Duo the rock of the Wing cast?

Quote:
lol what? Tieria is full of emotion. That's the point! He's an asshole, because he's quite unsure of himself and hides it by being very uptight and serious. His entire development sees him open up. That is a totally different the emtionaly scared Herro. They don't even come colse to having the same conflict. Where in either of these Wing characters is Tieria's dilemma that he faces in season 2?

I mean whats your point here? They are rip-offs how? You can't even get your point straight. Tieria is a rip-off of two different characters because hi pilots a support Gundam, in a franchisee that has support mobile suits all the time? What? Where all the Gundam's in 00 supposed to do the same thing? The mere fact of having an artillery Gundam makes it a rip-off? What does that even mean?

Quote:
Another aspect is that the characters of both series are underdeveloped
lol what? This is an argument point? "Man this show did the action well and so did this one....RIP-OFF!". I mean what are you trying to say that 00's creators were so dedicated to ripping off Wing that they had to emulate the flaws?

Well I don't know, seems kind of.......................................................................stupid.

And I'll disagree with you, because first you don't even seem to understand the characters. No I don't think they were underdeveloped. No they were explored as well as possible? What do you want?

I mean all you are describing small simularites, you might as well say "hey both these characters have black hair and pilot a Gundam so it's a rip off". I mean where in 00 is the conflict about the merits of the Battlefield? Where does 00 deal with the question of do we lose the effect of war if combat is not full of sacrifice? Where in Wing does it try and reflect on present day issues of the middle east or really dabble in being terrorists. These shows are completely different in there actual plot lines.

I mean Jesus Christ. This is GUNDAM. They all have similarites Gundam has it's own troupes that every show uses and puts it's spin on. Thats what franchises do. Do you claim each James Bond is a rip-off because they have a similar villain up to similar things? No people just say "hey this one is using a familiar element of the series".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4