• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ADV Voice Actors going to Funi?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:11 am Reply with quote
On a recent thread, someone posted that Funimation said they they were going to have or were going to try and get Full Metal Panic!s original cast to be in FMP!: The Second Raid.

My question is this: Are the ADV voice actors that we've usually assoicated with ADV moving over to Funi? I've noticed that some of the VAs that I have heard on ADV products have done Funi (example in Fullmetal Alchemist there was Vic Mignogna - Edward Elric, Chris Patton - Greed and Monica Rial - Lyra).

I know that both companies are in the same city in Texas, so do VAs normally go between companies like that? Or have their contracts ran out and Funi snapped them up with better offers or are they jumping a sinking ship? (Not that I've heard that ADV is in trouble.)

Just curious.

Thanks!
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:33 am Reply with quote
Voice actors basically go with what they can get. Look at all the stuff Blum and Freeman have done. It's all over the place and with different companies.

It's more about which compannies they can get to better, which is why you'll probably never hear Blum in a Funi dub unless they open a branch in LA. It's not loyaly to one company, that company just happens to be near them.
undeadben

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:42 am Reply with quote
If it is like any other acting Job in the US, and I'm sure it is, there are no such things as exclusive conracts for actors. Though some production companies like to re-use actors they are familiar with, which is what the situation with FMP! seems to be, it does not mean the actors can not work for another company as long as it does not interfere with a project which has already been agreed to. For example, Ben Affleck is well known for making movies for Miramax which pays him very well, but he has also appeared in movies produced by Universal, MGM, etc.

Also while its nice to have someone who you've become familiar with as a certain character, both the actor or the production company can also change their minds for any reason and go "in a different direction." An example is Michael Keaton, my favorite Batman, only doing two of the films. In anime, we have seen it in the recent Pokemon changes.
Royal Devil

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:37 am Reply with quote
Well I suppose a good exception would be Chris Sabat who does more than just voice acting for Funimation. I forgot what his position there is.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:42 am Reply with quote
IIRC, Funimation is in Fort Worth, and ADV is in Houston, which means they're 5-6 hours driving distance from each other. Traditionally "ADV" actors like Monica Rial, Greg Ayres, Chris Patton, and Luci Christian have appeared in various Funimation productions in the past--it's not like this TSR casting situation is anything new.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 9:59 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
IIRC, Funimation is in Fort Worth, and ADV is in Houston, which means they're 5-6 hours driving distance from each other.

Whoops! Embarassed Thanks for the correction. I have no idea where I got the idea that both companies where in the same city. Sorry.

Hey, thanks everybody for answering my question. I guess that since I hear certain actors all of the time for only certain companies, when I hear them on others it surprises me and makes me wonder.

I KNOW I have no knowledge about voice acting rules and regulations! Very Happy so thanks for helping me out. I guess I thought they might be different from live action acting...you know, the "old studio system" where actors were under contract and they certainly didn't work for Warner's when they were under contract with MGM.
saikori

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:30 pm Reply with quote
There are no exclusive contracts for the recording studios. You generally just get the call from a Talent Coordinator for a booking and show up Smile

There are no rules or regulations. Trust me Voice Actors are poor enough so any bookings they can get their hands on, are great. You would think their might be some rivalry between the anime studios but there really isn't. I have found only the fans tend to take sides with Funi or ADV.

I have recorded at both studios and found both to be great. I prefer recording at FUNI because it's much closer for me as I live in the DFW area. However I have made the 6 hour drive over to ADV too. (I have just done some small characters for each).

In the voice over business (not just Anime Dubs etc) it is true production companies will re-use the same voices for various projects. I have a few re-occuring jobs for some industrials for training videos and E-Learning. It just depends on whether the director & Customer(the company) likes your voice and more important if your easy to work with.

In any industry, people like to use those who they have worked with before, prove themselves to flexible and reliable land the jobs again and again. I'd rather use a friend or someone I like as opposed to someone new or someone who has proven to be hard to work with. Anyway hope that sheds a bit more light for ya!
yukifangirl81

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:40 am Reply with quote
In fact, I am an acquaintence of Vic's and he told me that a lot of VAs for Funimation and ADV crossover, depending on the role, and what people can get. I. myself, am a big fan of A. D. Vision. SO....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Randall Miyashiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 7:10 pm Reply with quote
yukifangirl81 wrote:
In fact, I am an acquaintence of Vic's and he told me that a lot of VAs for Funimation and ADV crossover, depending on the role, and what people can get. I. myself, am a big fan of A. D. Vision. SO....

I love the job he has done on the amazing (check out the various reviews) ADV Macross dub. His audio commentary with Mari Iijima is so funny. He comes across as a funny and nice person. Vic has joined the ranks with Wendee Lee, and Crispin Freeman as someone who not only has a great character voice, but also has a great sense of timing and flow to his dialogue.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1