• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion (TV).

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:01 pm Reply with quote

il sole penetra le illusioni ~ Day Break Illusion
Genres: Magic

Plot Summary: A story of girls who solve mysterious matters that occur in this world, using the mystical tarot cards that hold the power to read destinies."

Episode 1:
Much better than I had expected. First half was calm but around the middle part, I sensed a slight mood change when aspoiler[ truck came down from the hill and almost ran into Akari. I have a feeling that the girls with the glasses (Funuya) was up to something]. The atmosphere of the show seems to be more mysterious to me rather than just lighthearted. The OST of the piano like tones gives me that chill.

Quote:
spoiler[Envious...]

Ya that part was a bit disturbing.

Definitely not what I had expected. Brilliant episode imo
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:39 pm Reply with quote
And I felt they just unnecessarily rushed to somehow turn the show "dark and shocking".
A poor and desperate attempt to stir up some interest with shock values, but this time it doesn't work.
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Well, skipping this one.
I don't like the animation style.
It looks like it's made for children.
The story is not my "cup of tea" either.
At least I gave it a try, I guess..
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:54 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
And I felt they just unnecessarily rushed to somehow turn the show "dark and shocking".
A poor and desperate attempt to stir up some interest with shock values, but this time it doesn't work.

I haven't watched this series yet, but that seems a little presumptuous of you.

Could you elaborate more clearly (and calmly) as to why you have such an intense grudge against this series? You've been clawing and tearing at whenever you'd had the chance, but your reasons are pretty inscrutable.

ookamigirl wrote:
Well, skipping this one.
I don't like the animation style.
It looks like it's made for children.
The story is not my "cup of tea" either.
At least I gave it a try, I guess..

Burma shave?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I have no grudge against it.
Despite I knew long ago that it's a pretty low budget production, I still gave it a watch to see what they can pull off with it.
However they chosed to go for nothing but cheap shock values, unlucky for them, nobody was attached to the characters yet or even came to terms with the setting, so it just doesn't work.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:26 am Reply with quote
Oh boy where do even I start on this one?
There's like five points in the episode that would have been better start points. The whole spoiler["becoming a zonder will lead you to die because angel cores and synchronization and time buggery,] I guess." gag, besides being Luke's Father levels of overused, is emotionally manipulative to the point that you know one of them is gonna spoiler[go zonder] and everyone will be sad when they have to spoiler[kill] her.
And that stuff about the plant tentacles? Forget it.
You can tell by the costume designs that this is an animated cosplay catalogue.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:50 am Reply with quote
I dug it. The show engaged my interest and I'll be very curious to see where it's all going. I was confused about something though:
spoiler[
After Akari sees Fuyuna dead in her room (presumably), we see another scene of her and her aunt and uncle visiting Akari's mother's grave. There is no mention of Fuyuna at all. Are we supposed to assume that all memories of Fuyuna have been erased in this timeline so it's like she never existed?]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:58 am Reply with quote
*reads comments*
I don't expect that I will be liking this.
*watches episode*

Episode 1

Some of you are a bunch of whiners, this was a pretty decent episode.

I am very sure from the first episode that they took some inspiration Madoka or something similar. In my opinion this first episode has very well mixed the child magical girl anime style with a darker theme that can be jarring, but is really attractive to me. I especially liked the satic moments that really stood out against the general design of the characters.

A problem that has seemed to come about is that her spoiler[cousin, Fuyuna, becomes possessed and tries to kill Akari way to quickly after apparently unconvincing levels of stress, and then not only is killed, and removed from existence]. My opinion is that this plot point had to be dealt with quickly, so that we can revisit it soon for Akari to have her innocent view tested as she has to accept that she spoiler[is the one that did it and removed Fuyuna from existence because she did not want to face it]. I feel a little sad that she was spoiler[shafted so quickly (I liked what I saw of her)], but I will trust that the writers have a plan.

On a personal level I also think some inspiration may have even been gained from Panty an Stocking for some alternate costumes, but with a little bit of BRS too. I look forward to more.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 10:08 am Reply with quote
Fuyuna's listed on the website with the rest of the main characters, so I'm not so sure she's gone. Considering that the scene with her aunt and uncle are the only scene after that with her family, maybe it was just rewritten so that she didn't go?
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:45 am Reply with quote
I'm not sure I like it yet, and I'm not really a big magical girl fan, but it has caught my interest.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:04 pm Reply with quote
My case in point; the show really isn't selling anything, as expected.
All interest for it died out, so hard that I'm beginning to feel sorry for them, a studio who already knows their work isn't gonna be liked by anyone.
Yes, I actually am a bit sad about it.
Correl

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:29 pm Reply with quote
Seems like it could shape up to be an interesting show, but it's still a little early to tell. First episode was definitely all about hooking the viewer, but I felt it tried a little too hard. Hopefully they do some more background/exposition stuff next episode to give us a feel for the rest of the characters and maybe a whiff of what the main plot will be about. After that episode, I don't think I could really say what the show is about other than magical girls.

I'm digging the art style though.
rosebowl89

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Heinzendegger wrote:
My case in point; the show really isn't selling anything, as expected.
All interest for it died out, so hard that I'm beginning to feel sorry for them, a studio who already knows their work isn't gonna be liked by anyone.
Yes, I actually am a bit sad about it.

Man, I'm not gonna act like it was some great episode, but your reaction seems a little excessive.
Heinzendegger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 6:11 am Reply with quote
rosebowl89 wrote:

Man, I'm not gonna act like it was some great episode, but your reaction seems a little excessive.

I meant its sales now.
Nobody is buying it you know.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
Only the first episode is out. There aren't any "sales" to be had yet.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 15