• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dubs fellow sub fans prefer more than their subs.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, there are few anime I prefer the dub over the sub in. I primarily watch anime subbed though. Particularly, those that are aimmed at an American Audience, I like the dubs better. I don't know if it's just me, but most anime airred on [as] I prefer in dubbed form. I don't know, I just feel they put more effort into them because they know it will have to be good. I mean, airring on [as] pretty much guarantees popularity, so of course they're going to put more effort into it, or at least that's what I feel.

Cowboy Bebop - I did watch some of the sub of this, but I just couldn't get into it. Maybe it was just because I was just more attached and used to the American voice actors at the time, but I still prefer this in dubbed form. I just can't see Spike talking in Japanese...

Samurai Champloo - Even though this anime takes place in Japan, it just feels right to me to hear it in English since the style of the show is obviously American influenced and American aimmed. The Baseball episode is the only exception, because, well, Engrish is hilarious.

Fullmetal Alchemist - To tell you the truth, while I love the subbed version of it also, the dub is just so well done, I prefer it over the subs. Ed certainly sounds a lot different in Japanese, but I feel they made the right choice in changing how he sounds. They're just different styles, and to me, both of them are great in their own ways.

Excel Saga - This one may just be because it was one of my first anime, and I found the dub hilarious. I know some people who find it annoying though, since Excel sound, um, somewhat iritating and upleasent to the ear to many people. But, I think it fits her, she is supposed to be annoying, which is part of what makes her funny. There is actually one episode I prefer in Japanese, and that's the episode where they travel to the US. I just can't stand how they change the Americans to speaking Spanish, once again, Engrish is FAR funnier imo.

I think there may be a few more I'm forgetting but those are the main ones that I will always watch the English over the Japanese version.

Edit: I suppose I can add some that I don't prefer either way and will watch them in either English or Japanese.

Genshiken - I know... most people didn't think the dub was that great of this. Personally, I did like it though, although Madarame is still better in Japanese, imo, I still like it enough that I don't mind watching it either way.

Galaxy Angel - From a fan point of view, I love the Japanese voices in every way over the English and if asked which one I liked better, I will always choose the Japanese over English. But that's mainly just a fan thing since it has my favorite group of seiyuu in an anime ever. From a more technical point of view, both the dub and sub are equal to me. At least, almost, I still don't love Forte's voice, but other than that, the cast is right on. I must say that I particularly love Milfeulle's English voice and they couldn't have had a better voice actor to follow up on Ryoko's performance.

Hare+Guu - It took me a bit to get used to Hare, since he sounded a bit different, but after a few episodes I got used to his English voice. In particular, I prefer Weda's English voice over the Japanese. I have no preference on this one, I like both of them equally.

Full Metal Panic! - Probably the anime that is most equal out of any other anime I have watched. I think I've watched both the dub and the sub about the same as much. Both of them are great imo.

Comic Party - I haven't watched the TRSI's dub of Ninja Nonsense yet, but if it's anywhere as good as this one, I can say that I'll love it. Taishi's voice was right on, so much that it amazed me. I honestly didn't think they'd be able to match the absolutely hilarious Japanese voice actor for him, but they somehow did it, and perfectly I might add.

Last edited by PantsGoblin on Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
sykosteve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe no one's mentioned Golden Boy!

Golden Boy is the only dub that I can think of that I frequently recommend to watch dubbed. I think Kintaro's voice actor cheezed it up so much that it made it that much funnier. Sometimes I expect the moon to crash into the earth when watching Golden boy (moon is cheeze joke.)

Oh, another one would be Ah My Goddess I never really could get into Belldandy's Japanese voice. She sounded to motherly to me...I understand that she's supposed to be a mature character, but her voice just made me want to go to sleep sometimes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
CrockPot

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:30 pm Reply with quote
A lot of times what you see and hear first is what you will prefer, so I would expect a lot of Cartoon Network shows are preferred in dubbed form because a lot of us saw something there first.

I would expect to see titles like Naruto, Eureka 7, DBZ, Witch Hunter Robin, Ghost in the Shell, Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo turn up often in these kinds of threads.

The newer stuff that is only available from fansubs I would expect a higher proportion of people to dislike the dubs when they become available.

I know first doesn't always set what you prefer but I would like it if people let us know if they preferred something dubbed that they saw/heard first as a sub.

I just think it would be an interesting addition to the topic.

Oh, and to actually be on the original topic. I always tend to watch things subbed first and so it was for Last Exile but after watching it with a buddy that prefers dubs I have to admit I like that dub a lot.

PS: I fall into the Adult Swim first time viewing a lot and actually like the dub of Cowboy Bebop, and Witch Hunter Robin better.
Kouji

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:58 pm Reply with quote
I usually watch which ever version I have access to first. If I have access to the sub version, I'll watch that first, but if I only have access to the dub (like if I watch an anime on TV or something), I'll watch that instead and then I'll watch the other version afterwards to compare the two and then I'll watch which ever version I'm in the mood for. I saw Outlaw Star dubbed first and I guess that's a case where it's true that you usually prefer what you watch first more, but I also saw the sub version of Howl's Moving Castle first yet I still prefered the dub over it. Of course, Disney's dubs of Studio Ghibli films are usually of much higher quality than typical dubs, so that could be an expection (however, I did watch FMA dubbed first on Cartoon Network yet I actually prefer the sub version of that series, but that's going off-topic).
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
epixeltwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 5:20 pm Reply with quote
CrockPot wrote:
A lot of times what you see and hear first is what you will prefer, so I would expect a lot of Cartoon Network shows are preferred in dubbed form because a lot of us saw something there first.

That is quite true. If you see a show dubbed/subbed and you like it, then you get used to the voice acting. So even if the other version is a little better, you'll still prefer the voices you're used to.

Myself, I watch a lot more sub than dub, but when I watch comedy shows or when I show my anime to my friends, I always watch it dubbed. I must say, most of the time I don't really prefer one or the other. I just hate it when the VA is very off-character.

So as long as a dub is of respectable quality and not too annoying, I will like it as much as sub (even if I usually watch the latter).
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:34 pm Reply with quote
I can't believe noone mentioned FLCL, or at least I didn't see it. I'd totally agree with anyone that the JP voices are much much better in virtually every way, but subs just don't work for that show. Every single subbed version I've seen has been horrific, while the dub is much more explanatory and clear. I saw it 3-4 times subbed before I saw it dubbed and it wasn't until I saw the dubbed version that I finally understood wth was going on; also I've heard dozens of other people say the same thing, so I know I'm not alone on this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SharinganEyes92

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:24 pm Reply with quote
beast wrote:
That's because a woman does Kenshin's voice. It's intentional.

Then what was their intention in having a female seiyuu do his voice? I mean I'd understand why his voice sounded like that in Trust and Betrayal in that he's still young during that time (isn't he around 15?), but in the main series he should have a more manly voice. I understand why they wouldn't make his voice as gruff as Vin Diesel's, and that's because they want to make him seem more peaceful and laid-back after a previous life of murder and destruction. But, c'mon, having his voice the way it is in Japanese is just ridiculous.

selenta wrote:
I can't believe noone mentioned FLCL, or at least I didn't see it. I'd totally agree with anyone that the JP voices are much much better in virtually every way, but subs just don't work for that show. Every single subbed version I've seen has been horrific, while the dub is much more explanatory and clear. I saw it 3-4 times subbed before I saw it dubbed and it wasn't until I saw the dubbed version that I finally understood wth was going on; also I've heard dozens of other people say the same thing, so I know I'm not alone on this one.

I agree. The FLCL dub was loads better than it's Japanese, subtitled counterpart. It made much more sense to me the second time around when I watched it dubbed. When I watched it subbed I had no idea what was going on.
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:33 pm Reply with quote
as of recently, i LOVE the dub of Sunabozu(Desert Punk), the main guy's voice s great. also i'm also liking the "Crayon Shin Chan" and "Ghost Stories". Funimation and ADV have proven that is possible to completely bastardize a show, and make otakus love it.
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:50 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to agree that FMA and Ruroni Kenshin had really great dubs compared to the subs. Though I really don't lean either way as far as what I prefer, I do find my self watch most of the anime I've watched subbed. Usally when you watch an anime dubbed then subbed, or subbed to dubbed, the voices usally sound off because you get the mental mind set of what the voice is supposed to sound like so it (in some cases) sounds off. This may have been brought up before I only read the first few posts and skimmed the rest but I think that 6 times out of 10 anime characters that are supposed to be from another country like in FMA seem more natural when there speaking the language of the country were they look like they are from, in the case of FMA, English. It also sounds more natural for an anime that takes place in Japan them to speak it, so even though I loved the Ruroni Kenshin dub voices I would probably like to watch it in subs cause it would just sound more natural.
DemonEyesLeo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:07 am Reply with quote
There's a few anime that I do have a slight preference in the dub over the sub. Yu Yu Hakusho is one. Partly because I saw it in English first, but mostly because I like the sounds of the voices more that the Japanese. Yusuke feels more like a punk and Kurama a bit more cool and calm.

Dragonball Z/GT also. I can't stand Goku's high pitched woman voice. It was fine when he was a kid, but not when he's a full grown man.
El Oso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
I'll add another vote for the Cowboy Bebop dub. Spike and Faye in particular were done very well IMO. I also like the Hellsing dub for the most part. Jouji Nakata does do a great job as Alucard, but Crispin Freeman just nails it. His voice is as deep as the pits of hell!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:23 am Reply with quote
Yugo the Negotiator is an excellent example of an anime you can get much more out of watching the dubbed version, in my opinion. Granted it's not a well known show, but it does have a compelling story and a good mix of drama and action. But the reason I like the dub better (yes I am a sub fan too) is because all of the international accents needed to make the show more realistic. Japanese is just not a language that allows for representation of accents for people of different nationalities, especially since all the seiyuu are Japanese. In English, however when presented to English-speaking markets you can take advantage of portraying characters speaking in their native tounge or make an attempt to make it sound like it. ADV Films did a good job of finding VA's who can speak in a Pakistani / Middle Eastern accent. Some of them sounded like they were struggling but overall the dubbing job is well done and makes the story more interesting when you have those regional accents there.

Another show that I just started watching is Mermaid's Forest and because I am so used to watching Rumiko Takahashi shows dubbed I decided to also watch this one dubbed. At first I forgot I wasn't watching a VIZ title (which are well known for their good dubs) which proves you can rarely go wrong with Geneon which also have had a history of some really great dubs. The show is simply amazing and the dub is top-notch. I'm glad that I've watched almost every episode dubbed. I love Minami Takayama, so I had to watch a few episodes in Japanese Anime smile
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 am Reply with quote
Sherlock Hound, AKA Meitantei Holmes, is one where the dub outshines the sub by far. Not that the Japanese track is bad, but having English-language actors with (at least reasonable attempts at) British accents just feels more right for a series based on the Sherlock Holmes novels and set in England.

I'd say Ghost Stories, but that doesn't really count, since the dub is intentionally different from the Japanese script for comedy purposes. If the dub of Negima! bothered to pronounce names right, I might like it more than the sub, for similar reasons. I'm planning to watch Desert Punk dubbed, as well.

This may seem odd, but I actually kind of liked the dub of Berserk -- the accents and turns of phrases used for the English track seemed to fit better for the Western-styled medieval fantasy world. Or maybe it was just those outtakes Anime smile ("The mercenary leader who raised me taught me nothing except how to wield a sword. I've never had anything else except my sword. Except else. Forget the else. I didn't mean the else. I was just kidding about the else!!")

For similar accent reasons, I watched most of ROD TV dubbed, since all the British villians and other characters are so much more colorful with the accents.

I've only sampled a little bit, but the dub of Girls Bravo seems to have even more etchi comedy than the Japanese track, so I'm looking forward to watching it, probably when I get the actual DVDs in November.
PantsGoblin wrote:
Genshiken - I know... most people didn't think the dub was that great of this. Personally, I did like it though, although Madarame is still better in Japanese, imo, I still like it enough that I don't mind watching it either way.
Actually, I thought the Genshiken dub was pretty decent, especially how they upped Saki's insults/attitude in several places. Name pronunciations and casting choices are pretty close, for the most part.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:25 pm Reply with quote
There are very few instances in which I prefer the English dub to the Japanese cast. Of course, it's even rarer to find I like the wording better in the dub (although there are enjoyable localizations that are good simply because how ridiculously funny they are, like Lupin III or Crayon Shin-chan)- when I prefer the dub, it's just because of the voices themselves.

Cowboy Bebop has what many fans consider "the greatest anime dub". I won't disagree. As much as the original cast is talented (especially Megumi Hayashibara), I felt the English cast perfectly encapsulated the feeling of the show and its characters. Spike sounds ultra-cool, Jet sounds gruff but humorous, Faye sounds like a total bitch, Ed is silly, Vicious is creepy, ect. The chemistry between the characters is alive in the voices.

Big O has a dub that excels for two reasons. The first is a strong dub cast. Many of the VAs, like Steven Blum or Robert Wicks, are iconic in the field of English anime dubs. Wendee Lee is a brilliant VA who brings the right sort of sass and yet uncertainty to Angel, for example. The second reason is that the Japanese cast is so mediocre. Everybody's voices are so flat. The difference in the two casts are so clear, it almost feels like this series was made just for the US.

Spirited Away is a case much like above. The Japanese VAs are so unispired and flat, that it wouldn't even take Disney's celebrity casting to make the English dub of Spirited Away superior to its Japanese counterpart (at least, as far as voices). The English cast, while it seems trying too unnaturally hard to show off for "foreign film" at times, does a pretty good job in capturing what I feel are the essence of the characters.

Metropolis is a case of my watching the dub so many times beforehand that I can barely imagine watching it in Japanese with subtitles. I have, of course, but the dub cast is so indoctrinated in my mind, that I probably prefer the dub because of it. That isn't to say that the dub cast isn't strong. They all seem to have voices that fit the mood and nostalgic style of the movie. The Japanese cast is also very on the ball, but I prefer the dub just a little more.

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex is another cast like the above. I'm used to the voices of Batou and Aramaki especially, since they reprised their roles from the first movie. It's a very strong cast, but it only wins out slightly over the original voices, which were also very good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Hoshigami68

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Many of dubbed animes have improved drastically over the years. They not only have gotten better at lip synching, but the choice of English voice talents have gotten better as well. The two dubbed animes that I think are just as good or even better than the Japanese versions are:

1. Chrono Crusade- I like the choice of the voice talents because each actor and actress fit the character perfectly. They also brought out the various moods in the series from light and humorous to sad and dramatic.

2 Girls Bravo- While this might not have been a fantastic series, the revised script and solid voice talents helped make the dubbed version surpass the Japanese. For example, Episode 14 where Yukinari and Miharo go on their first date was presented in a kind of dull and bland way with the Japanese dialogue, but the American script had me laughing like crazy because of the altered script.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4