• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Air (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:12 am Reply with quote
Everyone is always confused by Air's ending. Here...

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=322444

Also, we do have spoiler[spoiler tags] working here.

If you just want to get right to the point about Misuzu though, spoiler[ she did die at the end. Would put a cry emoticon here if it wouldn't have made it too obvious.]
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:44 am Reply with quote
Obvious or not, that scene kicked me in the ding-ding. I cry every time I see it. just like episode 6....and 9
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
Mini Jesus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Air is one of my favorite anime's. I loved it the whole way through, even it did make me cry.

spoiler[Misuzu did die like everyone is saying but the ending isn't really a sad one. I mean, sure it's sad that Misuzu died, but she took happy memories back to Kana's(sp?) soul breaking at least one of the curses placed on her. The thing people forget is the whole story is actually about saving Kana's soul. Yukito is a descendant of the two who traveled with Kana and that's why his mother told him about the quest thingy that she went on and why he's on it. To rescue the girl with wings on the other side of the sky. He completed his task. Misuzu was the last reincarnation of Kana that would have to suffer.]
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Heh, I love Air discussions...after watching it a few times you start noticing something....that every little detail is very important here's how I see it
spoiler[Yukito died and was reincarnated as the bird, a process that brought him back in time. After this, Misuzu ends up dieing, though the curse ends with her, but here's the twist, her reincarnation is already alive, as well as Yukito's. The young girl and boy that are walking on the beach holding hands are really them reincarnated. It may seem iffy at first, but the details that give it away are there, her hair color (Kana's hair color) as well as the few facial features that show up (the little boy looks like Yukito). Not to mention them holding hands at the ending, which is also in the title shot. After putting all of this together I realized it wasn't that sad of an ending....though I did think it was one at first.....]

If you liked the series, don't forget to watch the movie (an alternate telling) and the summer arc (an expansion on the two episodes with Kana and the other two).

That being said this anime was the one that really dragged me into watching anime (was into it before, but this one yanked me in like nothing).
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Alright I know this is off topic but is Air really that good, I mean I have heard people say it was and it wasn't. A person I asked this to before said it was alright. So I guess I will ask this how sad is Air, it isn't slit-your-wrists sad is it? I just want to know since I don't really want to see anything too sad right now. We aren't talking Saikano are we?
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:34 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:
So I guess I will ask this how sad is Air, it isn't slit-your-wrists sad is it? I just want to know since I don't really want to see anything too sad right now. We aren't talking Saikano are we?

Yeah, Air is a real handful. It's not as bad as Saikano (which was simply depressing the whole way through), but if you don't want to watch anything too sad atm, I wouldn't recommend it.

I didn't find it too sad though. Then again, virtually nothing moves me to tears.
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:45 pm Reply with quote
It's one of those you either like it or hate it kind of animes, few people are in between on it. Most of your feelings on it will depend on your taste in anime and the time in your life you watch it. To like it, you really have to catch a lot of things that you would normally not even pay attention to in most anime, kind of like with all the stuff in the backgrounds on MoSH. This is also one of the animes that's harder to watch more than once within I'd say about 6 months, mostly cause you'll still remember a lot about it and you know what happens next (I watched it as it was airing and I still remember the story cause it stuck). If shows like To Heart or Kanon are your thing, this one will probably be for you, but if what you like is a bunch of muscle men seeing who can out flex each other...this is definately not it. I personally suggest anything originally created by Leaf and Key as they tend to be very good shows (yes, I used to get confused and thought they were all done by Leaf, but Kanon and Air is done by Key).

End the end I say watch one of these kinds of anime every so often since they seems more relaxing than most others. As for my personal favorites, Air is one of them, but my top has to be Shuffle!, don't know why but it's just one that sucked me in, as well as Canvas 2 (yes, most anime I watch happens to be from games like that...it's just a coincidence so don't bother trying to put 2 and 2 together).
omar235

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:49 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Yeah, Air is a real handful. It's not as bad as Saikano (which was simply depressing the whole way through), but if you don't want to watch anything too sad atm, I wouldn't recommend it.

I didn't find it too sad though. Then again, virtually nothing moves me to tears.

Hmm...I think I will be ok as long as there isn't anyone with some sort of illness dying slowly...those always get me. As long as it doesn't have a depressing backdrop for its story like Saikano did, speratic sad moments don't bother me. Wink
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:51 pm Reply with quote
omar235 wrote:

Hmm...I think I will be ok as long as there isn't anyone with some sort of illness dying slowly...those always get me. As long as it doesn't have a depressing backdrop for its story like Saikano did, speratic sad moments don't bother me. Wink

Well...that kinda does it then....though I do suggest watching it cause it's not really a sad ending as most think it is the first time they watch it.
Iwatch2muchanime

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:24 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
omar235 wrote:

Well...that kinda does it then....though I do suggest watching it cause it's not really a sad ending as most think it is the first time they watch it.

To omar235:

Yeah......it might be hard for you to watch this then. Although you should. Like before this is normally a LOVE or HATE situation that causes you to cry a lot and physically hit things. (I did practically the same thing in this then I did in Kanon) or you find it TOO boring or slow to watch and tend not to care about it.

To Daemonblue:

Although what you said is true, it IS that sad no matter how many times you watch it and no matter how you try to mold all the details together to tell you that they'll possibly get to live together anyway, it IS still horribly tragic and very sad.

And I'll say either not to watch the movie or watch it first because that movie wasn't all that good and it almost ruined the whole show for me. BUT the OVA's were great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime
selenta
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:40 am Reply with quote
Daemonblue wrote:
...it's not really a sad ending as most think it is the first time they watch it.

I'm also gonna have to strongly disagree here. It's not sad in the context spoiler[that Kana's soul got saved, that's great and all... but the show wasn't REALLY about Kana. It was about Misuzu trying to deal with her cursed life and destiny, while trying to live each day to its fullest despite fate and even the heavens working against her. It's sad, because you watch her struggle against her fate as she tries to make friends and be close to people, but then watch as the heavens strike her down for something that Misuzu didn't even do. She struggles valiantly (as valiantly as a mentally and emotionally underdeveloped little girl can do anyways) against her fate, and despite everything that she and everyone around her does and no matter how much they care for her, she still dies alone.

To say this isn't a sad ending, or a sad anime is really quite innaccurate. What there is, is a silver lining to this dark and ominous storm cloud.]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:03 am Reply with quote
I'd also suggest looking through the AIR threads indexed here if you want a lot of background information from other members of this forum.

In regards to the movie, I watched it after the series, which is what I'd recommend--that way you get the more powerful impact from the TV series and then some alternate ideas from the movie.

Like many other drama/romance series based on visual novels, AIR does bring out a "love it or hate it" reaction in a lot of fans. It's one of my favorites, but its appeal depends on certain factors:
The viewer's inclination for series from this genre, which generally have a "male lead meets a variety of female characters and discovers supernatural backstories behind them" plot structure.
The viewer's willingness to be a bit emotionally manipulated--if you don't consider crying over anime a good experience, you won't like AIR as much as its ardent fans do.
The viewer's tolerance for drama/slife stories and ability to follow confusing storylines.

For me, AIR reached a "can't read the subtitles" level of sadness, but for others, it didn't whelm them that much Wink Either way, I still think it's worth checking out for the high-quality art, animation, and music -- especially when I saw it almost two years ago, it was so different from what I'd seen before that it blew me away.
philg

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:56 am Reply with quote
This is quite interesting. Earlier on I was making a Reply to the Guys and Romance Anime thread explaining how I love romance anime especially if it is emotional. Then I quickly deleted everything I had written because I realised that Air, which is a romance/sadness type anime, is one of my most hated anime. Reading this thread is kind of scaring me because I never realised that Air had depth, popularity and... quality. Oh Boy, do I feel ignorant. As soon as I read the replies to this thread I had a sudden urge to re-watch all the episodes of Air - I'll do that after I post this so I have something to quote in a few hours when I finish the series.
I honestly found the characters adorable and the music moving, but I didn't realise it had a storyline and usually I pick up sensitive subplots and complex characterisation. I'm relieved to read that 'you have to be in the right mood to watch this', so now I'm praying that I was in a concrete mood when I first watched Air. All these months I've been wondering why people talk about Air, I thought it was just a pathetic and cutesy series. No offense to anyone who loves the series, I'm sure I will too in a few hours.
Well anyway I should be in the right mood now for a tear-jerking series.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
I've always wondered, why is the "TV" frequently tacked onto the end of the Air series? It is rarely done with any other series adapted from a game; I've never seen Kanon TV, Fate/Stay Night TV, Higurashi no Naku Koro ni TV, or anything like that. I understand that it's to differentiate it from the original game, but why just Air?
Daemonblue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Guessing cause Air also has a theatrical release which is a retelling of the story....and now that I think about it (it has been a while since I last saw it) the ending was rather sad....my mistake Razz I can remember stuff about it, just not the emotions I felt at that time....it has been a good year or two and all.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7