• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smoochy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:22 pm Reply with quote
How far is FB in Japan?
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:31 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
How far is FB in Japan?

The entire FB series has finished it's run as of November of last year. Volume 22 should be out by March, and then I believe the last volume, 23 will come out in July. Takaya-sensei will be starting her new series sometime this spring as well. If I am correct, volume 15 is the latest release out here in the US. I don't know how long the wait periods are between US releases, hopefully if we're lucky we'll see the entire series out by 2010.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
smoochy wrote:
How far is FB in Japan?

Edit: Beaten to it!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:22 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

I just loved it though when spoiler[Haru stormed into Akito's room, and the old lady was yelling, "What are you doing?! You can just come in like this!" While Haru's quick response with this look in his eye was, "Shut up. Back off hag."] Cool That was probably one of the coolest things I could ever hear him say.

Yes, that one should be voted as spoiler[ one of the coolest moments in the entire manga. I hate that woman. Even now, after the manga has finished I just can't like her character. Plus I really liked to see Haru getting so angry with Akito and making her regret the things that she has done.]

I can see Haru as a guy who didn't seem much to the others but as a person that changes many times the courses of the lives of the others. spoiler[ Helping Yuki was one thing but what has done for Rin is incomparable. He was the one that has seen the beauty and the helpness that Rin felt and he tried so much to protect her. I remember that at some point the two most important persons to him, Yuki and Rin meet and Rin was so angry with Yuki calling him a bastard and he tells her that she shouldn't call people bastards and then he just kisses her. He definetly seemed more mature than I would have expected from him. On the other hand he has always felt a little desperate, I think, for the fact that he misses something important in Rin's life, he always questioned himself if through some possibility he has misunderstood her and he hasn't helped her at all. ] From this point of view he has some sadness that just like the other characters, it can't be avoided.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:28 pm Reply with quote
So I finally get to come onto the forums after having been at work since 5am this morning. What a day. Anyway, I thought it was something when spoiler[Rin left the hospital in the condition that she was, she always seems to not be content in staying at the hospital. Anyway Haru went looking for her, and when he found her he picked her and was carrying her on his shoulder. She said that she could walk by herself, but Haru told her that she wasn't a burden, and that she didn't have to carry any burdens by herself anymore. In other words, to ask him for help and not to try and take care of things by herself when she might possibly put herself in danger. And that was touching for her, and him saying it I think put into her heart a message that she didn't have to go anywhere anymore, alone. Another reason why their relationship is such a beautiful, yet tragic one. Unlike Katsuya and Kyoko's, this one ended on one of the best notes in the series.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:19 am Reply with quote
spoiler[She has taken too many burdens and has made Haru think that he actually did not do anything for her or that he might have misunderstood her. Haru just wanted to protect her and later on, after the scene that you have mentioned I remember that he is saying to her never to take upon her things like that , things that might hurt both of them and estrange them. But I think that Haru is perfect for Rin cause in spite of having the Black Haru personality, he is much calmer and sometimes can think in a very clear way. Btw, he should be thankful to Hiro for drawing his attention upon what really happened to Rin., but I haven't seen any interaction between them after that incident. Is it because no one was supposed to know about the affair between Haru and Rin?]

One funny scene with Haru: spoiler[ when Ayame showed up in the manga for the first time Tohru and Momiji were really curious about what Ayame does for living. And they couldn't understand what the store was about and I remeber that Haru said something and they all got close to him in a very funny way. If I remember correctly that was also a scene in the anime. I really liked that episode, I don't know why but it was funny to see the two of them trying to make Haru talk a little more about Ayame's store.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Well spoiler[he mentioned maid uniforms, but that was about it. I would guess that he knows what Ayame does, but he can't quite word it correctly for anybody. Haru seems to know quite a few things here and there. Has anybody noticed that we never saw Haru's parents at all? Though he does live at home, and there was one time where he was at home, and his mom called out to him saying that Hatori was on the phone.]
cerulean88

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
i really have nothing to say, am so tired and you guys just seems to have written alot about Haru. Another busy month coming up, i'll never see the end of it.

spoiler[Actually yeah, we never did ever get to see Haru's parents. I would like to know how his parents are like but it seems like they're neither over-protective or totally like rejecting him for being one of the jyuunishi.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:09 pm Reply with quote
maybe Haru is one of the lucky jyuunishi spoiler[who has never had problems with his parents. Actually I think that he had quite some freedom since it seems that he always does what he wants, going where he wants and being just simply who he wants to be. So apparently he doesn't have any problems with his parents though I would have wondered how they were treating him when he was Black Haru. Confused ]

How about his relationship with Tohru? spoiler[ He seems to have liked her from the beginning. He said something like it's better to hug a beautiful girl when turning into a cow to help get Yuki home. He seems to have liked her form the first time and later he becomes very grateful since Tohru has become Rin's friend and she hasn't abandon her even when Rin was acting terrible. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quote
I think that Haru spoiler[had his talk with Tohru and knew that she would be able to take care of Yuki, since he cares about Yuki so much. Which is a good thing, because this helped his impression on her, and it helped even better when she befriended Rin.]

Nice to see you posting again, cerulean. We miss you so, and hope that you can start posting more often again. I don't know if I'll have time tonight, so I'm going to post it right now just in case.
Hint: spoiler[These waves give you a creepy and heavy feeling, right?]
missyqueen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:02 pm Reply with quote
OMGspoiler[Hana-chan???? If it is I'm so excited 'cause Hana-chan (I call her Saki) is my favorite FB character. There is so much to say about her Very Happy Can't wait for the official announcement Very Happy I'll be so embarrased if I'm wrong with all my fangirling Embarassed ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:54 am Reply with quote
Well, you never know. I've been sorting through the characters and I don't know whether we'll be able to keep this order of male then female characters. I might need to do some rechecking, hopefully I can work it out, but there may be some male characters that I missed.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
I would like to welcome all people participating in this thread to Saki Hanajima week, or Hana-chan! This character is one who makes her debut from the beginning, and is made out to be one of Tohru's best friends. Along the way of the series we see her feelings about Tohru, her views towards the Sohma's, her own struggles, and even a touch of romance (!?). My apologies in advance to those who don't know or haven't read about the last thing I mentioned. Since volume 15 is the only volume out that part hasn't come up yet. Anyway.....

Characters related to Hana-chan:
- Tohru
- Uo-chan
- Kyo
- Yuki
- Megumi
- Shigure
- Hana-chan's Parents and her Grandmother
- Prince Yuki
- Akito
- Kazuma

Without a doubt, things about Hana-chan will be funny. But she does have her serious moments. Like the time spoiler[that Tohru was just devestated by the fact that Kureno had declared that he was loyal to Akito, Saki just had this feeling with her waves that she has. Somehow, she just has this connection to Tohru, knowing what is going on with her, whether she is happy, sad, or upset. And Saki was certainly being the motherly figure for Tohru after she ended up in the hospital, and was keeping Kyo away from visiting her. ]There's much more to go through, so let's go!

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:24 am Reply with quote
Hana-chan.....Definetly a character to remember and unique in the sea of characters that populate Fruits Basket world. spoiler[I enjoy her touch of uniqueness, her undisputed love for what is black (I actually don't remember whether she actually had a piece of clothing that hasn't been black, except perhaps for the school uniform - she even asked her colleagues to have her Cinderella gown black) Rolling Eyes but what is more beautiful about her is her unique way of knowing what is going on with her friends. Not just with Tohru but also with Uo-chan since she was the first one to realise that her friend is in love though Uo-chan hasn't mentioned much. ]

spoiler[I think she has become friends with Tohru and with Uo-chan because she is has been accepted just the way she was and not seen as a freak like all the others have seen her, plus the fact that in their own way all these three girls have a uniqueness about them that many characters in this story get to know it but not much understand it. In the mean time Saki remains a strong figure within the story taken into consideration that she feels everything about her friends and she is there to help them when they need it. She has also been lucky to have a wonderful family that understood her and loved her for what she is. She is one of the few lucky characters that actually have wonderful parents.]

now, missyqueen, start writing cause we are waiting for your post. Wink Laughing
missyqueen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
So sorry for my infrequent posts Sad I had a lot of job-related classes/obligations, but those are over now Very Happy

When I was first introduced to Fruits Basket it was the anime, and like most peoplespoiler[I thought Hana-chan was a bit of a loon. However, when I started reading the manga my view changed. In volume 9 when her background is revealed she baceame my favorite. Without a doubt she is probably one of the most mistunderstood characters in the manga. She was born with the ability to hear everyone's thoughts. That means she probably read the minds of murderers, rapists, perverts, etc., at a very young age. Those thoughts mixed with the thoughts of everyone else probably contributed to why she was always sick and didn't want to mix/talk with people. She had a harsh understanding of the human psyche at a very young age, so I think that in essence even when she was a little girl, she probably had an understanding of the human race that rivals an adult's. ]

spoiler[Because of this she was more mature than her fellow classmates and couldn't understand their level of play which is why she didn't want to play with them. This is probably one of the reasons she was targeted by those bullies. She never fought back nor defended herself. We know those kids eventuslly went too far and we FINALLY see what Saki is truly capable of. This is her first taste of what happens when she can't control her power. What initially was thought of as hearing other's thoughts turns into being able to manipulate others electomagnetic waves, which I consider their electical impulses.( the synaptic electicity) which controls peoples CNS, a very intimidating power. ]

spoiler[Then Saki considers herself too dangerous. She isolates herself from others, because she feels that being alone for the rest of her life, and letting others treat her cruelly is the way she must atone for the sin of hurting someone. I think this shows she is inherently kind-hearted and gentle. Her family is very supportive of her during this time and tell her to never give up hope since the bullying at school escalates. Finally when the bullying becomes ridiculously cruel (classmates burning her to "see" her power) her family decides to move. This shows the level of commitment Saki's parents have toward Saki, something rare in this manga. That they are willing to cut all ties with their current environment just so their daughter can have a fresh start.]

spoiler[Eventually, she meets Tohru and Uo and she learns to control her power. Because she knows how rare true friendship is and appreciates her friend's acceptance of her, even with all her quirks, Saki is very protective of her friends. In chapter 29, she realizes that she feels jealous of all of the Soumas, because Tohru spends time with them now, but also realizes that Tohru being happy makes her happy. This shows how mature she is that she cares so much for someone that their happiness with others makes her happy too. Also in this chapter, Tohru is revealed to be Saki's weakness. When I read that thought Saki might have "romantic" feelings toward Tohru but proved to be more maternal feelings, because in Vol. 12 she is instantly attracted to Kazuma Laughing ]

spoiler[I'm not sure why but most people are convinced that Saki is only teasing Kyo about her feelings, but in a side note in Vol. 17 Takaya wrote that Saki's feelings for Shishou are strong. Honestly, despite the age thing, I think that Kazuma works for Saki relationship wise. I HONESTLY can't see Saki with anyone her own age, because she is much too mature and boys her own age are intimidated by her. Even the slug, I mean Shigure, is scared of her Laughing She is very open about her intentions toward the man and even mentions that she's worried about having such a large child (Kyo) Laughing When she fell she fell hard, that's for sure. Whenever she's around Kazuma, (in chptrs 89, 127, 136) she shows a much happier side. I almost died in chapter 127 when she pretty much invites Kyo and Kazuma to talk more comfortably inside as if she was living there. And Kazuma's silly grin shows that he didn't mind at all. Very Happy I think Kazuma is a sensitive man and if he didn't have feelings for her he wouldn't cruelly have her around just to dangle the carrot before the horse. Besides, Saki would know if Kazuma didn't like her and I think SHE of all people would know (she can read people's hearts). ]

spoiler[The fact that he hires her, a girl Takaya admits can't cook, to help out with meals tells me he likes having her around. In, chapter 136 they are talking very comfortably together (standing very intimately? close). It seems they have a quiet understanding of each other as both are people of few words. I imagine them talking in 3 word phrases and understanding each other perfectly. This is good, because in Vol. 11 kazuma was reavealed to have been in a relationship the disentegrated because they couldn't agree with each other. Well Kazuma has no problem agreeing with Saki Laughing I think he would appeciate her more because she would underatsnd him and his feelings so well. I kind of picture them spoiling each other. NE ways enough of my fangirlish rambling (I could go on forever) but I'll let others post about but I will be back.]

OmG this is a long post Embarassed
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 38 of 170