• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2007-01-26]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pat_payne

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
The writer who said he was a professional voice actor seemed to be a bit flakey for me. IANAA (I am not an actor), but it seems to be that if you've been hired by Disney to do voice work for them, you've been around the block a few times and have most likely an agent that handles things such as finding the major VA studios in town.
Kouji

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:10 am Reply with quote
I don't understand the point of the rant of the week. They rant about how nobody likes their favorite show and then they turn around and take cheap shots against Naruto fans just because they don't like Naruto? Maybe, just maybe, people might be more willing to give your favorite show a try if you didn't act like such a hypocritical elitist ass. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Hotaruzuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Eruanna wrote:
Yeah, Ill try and make a banner. Why not.

That rant was so surreal and bizar, I couldnt for the life of my figure out what to make of it. I honestly can't figure out what he was trying to say, unless it was no more then "This is a great show, why don't people like it?"
Hmn.

heh, yeah but, atleast we got a laugh out of it. ^^ I loved the intro..

You cant really help it if youre biased.....you feel the way you feel and you think the way you think! you cant change what people think by just going "ah youre stupid! this is a good show!" Really people.....
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quote
The "Flake" reminded me of this classic gem posted by gyrobot at the DBZOA board (who also posted as asaqe here until he was banned) way back in 2003:

Quote:
it is possible we move to NY and buy stuff from home depot that is explosive or flamable then we pose as janitor and clean up the boiler room and light it on fire and BAM 4kids is history.

I was actually wondering if that kid grew up and got some perspective or whether he just focuses his cunning tactical genius to raging against whichever domestic dubber it is that distributes whichever anime it is that is most popular now. I have no way of knowing if the "Flake" is the same person, but it wouldn't surprise me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
me and my friends are planning to burn viz headquarters to thr ground for the edits they made to naturo and fullmetal alchemest. then the world will know what real animes are

ROFLMAO *comes up for air* ahahahahahahahaha
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:12 pm Reply with quote
I take issue with the author of the first letter claiming that "many animes contain sexually exploitated young girls and even boys". They're exploited in the context of their fictional universe, perhaps, but in real life, nobody's being exploited. You can't exploit non-existant people. The argument that lolicon or shotacon scenes/themes exploit children is wrong by definition.

The rant seemed just like an uncessary defense of some obscure anime. Maybe I'm missing something.

Last edited by penguintruth on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Veoryn87

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quote
I wonder when people will understand that VIZ doesn't edit Naruto (assuming they're talking about the anime)? Cartoon Network does. They still release uncut episodes on dvd.
ArielTsuki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Omega13"]
HitokiriShadow wrote:

If this section by the ranter wasn't enough clue that the entire thing was a joke rant, I don't know what is:

"I'm not alone in my van, down by the river. I have company all the time! The county commissioner drops by now and then, makin' sure I haven't been altering the virtue of the city's drinking water, and the police show up every time somebody goes missing. Sometimes I feel like I'm living in a miniature hotel! That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what that thing is, so you're going to have to bear with me."

It was, however, hilarious, IMO.

I dunno, it seems he's borrowing a joke for that section. I thought it was familiar. Does anyone remember Chris Farley's (RIP, the world is a little less funny without you) salesman on Saturday Night Live? He usually says that as a ptich to sell something.

Man, am I old....

@Ranter: There are going be people who just won't like some anime that you watch. I saw the first couple episodes of Sister Princess and though it was boring. Out of 10 harem anime, there would be one that enjoyable to watch and out of 5 of enjoyable harem anime, there's one that is actually good. Sister Princess seems to me to fall into alot of traps that most harem do: the main loser character, many girls with each stock character type for girls (ex. the childish one, the bossy one, the sweet one, etc), fluffy plots.
Only harem title I actually like alot was Happy Lesson, mostly because instead of the women being potential lovers, they're all the main character's adopted mothers. Plus, the main character isn't the loser type but the cynical one (which is not often used in harem anime). They have stock characters but they do have time to shine out of their roles. I also like Ken Akamatsu's work, my most favorite being Negima! but not as much as HL.
Harem titles rarely do well with American audiences anyway unless it's either by Ken Akamatsu or it's Tenchi.

@The reviewer's bias question: People like to think their opinion is fact. That's a fact of life, sadly. So as a reviewer, you gotta expect when some inane fan scream bias at you. When I recommend anime or give my opinion on it, I try to be as unbaised as I can. And when I don't agreed with a review, I usually state the reason why. Like the review for the Gakuen Heaven GN, I thought it was given too high of a rating but I gave some reasons why. There's nothing much you can do than ignore them.

@ The Flake of the Week:
Buy the uncut DVDs, duh!

Last edited by ArielTsuki on Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:23 pm; edited 3 times in total
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Veoryn87 wrote:
I wonder when people will understand that VIZ doesn't edit Naruto (assuming they're talking about the anime)? Cartoon Network does. They still release uncut episodes on dvd.

No, Viz does do the editing before handing it off to Cartoon Network. Although based on some comparisons between the American and Canadian versions, it is speculated that two or three episodes were given additional edits by CN on top of those done by Viz.
Omega13

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:46 pm Reply with quote
ArielTsuki wrote:
@ The Flake of the Week:
Buy the uncut DVDs, duh!

Unfortunately, since he's referring to FMA with respects to Viz, he must be (for that title, at least) referring to the manga, not the anime, and unlike (most) domestically released anime series, if you're unhappy with edits made, there's generally no uncut version to go to. Not enough reason to firebomb the building, of course, but for manga there's generally little recourse if you're unhappy with the production of the domestic release.
johnmora

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
This week's column was hilariously bizarre, from the King looking for work to the obviously fake Rant.

And about the FMA manga edit, honestly the cross-shape wasn't significant to anything but to make an allusion to the Christian imagery, which is a whole lot less inflammatory in Japan than it is in the U.S. And even then, Viz said the creator gave the edit the thumbs up, so yeah, that e-mail was appropriately flaky.
TestamentSaki

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Just sent a pair of "banners" for the contest... Hope they're not too bad n__nU
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
ZeroRyoko1974

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:04 pm Reply with quote
johnmora wrote:
This week's column was hilariously bizarre, from the King looking for work to the obviously fake Rant.

And about the FMA manga edit, honestly the cross-shape wasn't significant to anything but to make an allusion to the Christian imagery, which is a whole lot less inflammatory in Japan than it is in the U.S. And even then, Viz said the creator gave the edit the thumbs up, so yeah, that e-mail was appropriately flaky.

I think the idea that the artist gives their "ok" to edits is kind of funny. What are they going to not release it, or not edit it if the original artist is not ok with it?
hanachan01

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quote
@ the rant: Wow. I've been bored by the last few rants about You Tube, so this one was a breath of fresh air. It was so funny! It was clearly a joke, and I have a feeling even the ocasional bad grammar was on purpose. I read it outloud to my friend, and we thought it was hilarious! And did anyone else notice that he abreviated Haibane Renmei as "haRem." heheheheheh Smile
Murasakisuishou

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:29 pm Reply with quote
....It's physically possible to get sick of looking at Howl???

Just kidding :p I haven't done anything graphics-oriented in ages, and I miss it! Maybe I'll give it a shot!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5