• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:13 am Reply with quote
Thank you, kind sir! Embarassed

As for the OT, I confess I couldn't possibly take advantage from the ADV sale since I am utterly and completely broke. Yes, just the other day, I bought some manga and anime and therefore I have so little money until payday that I feel like crying. But I'll laugh instead cause it's a beautiful day and I believe that winter has just left my town. Wink Laughing
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:03 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
[ OT but did anybody here take advantage of the ADV sale going on at rightstuf right now?

I was bad... Crying or Very sad Bought Aquarian Age, Princess Tutu and Windaria. Only ten...but still, adding on to my March new releases... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad And I'm still waaaay behind on other stuff that I've bought (21 box sets or individual DVDs behind...I really need to stop being on this computer and watch more anime!)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Here goes for next week's topic. This will definetly be one of the more interesting topics, as is always, I hope that there will be some great conversation generated from this week's character.
Welcome to Rin week. She didn't make her debut till quite midway into the series, but turned out to be one of the most important characters crucial to the series. Her struggles, and her motives aren't just for the heck of it. She is out to show her affection for one true love, and will stop at nothing for him to be happy, she could care less what happens to herself.

Characters related to Rin:
- Hatsuharu
- Shigure
- Yuki
- Tohru
- Kagura
- Akito
- Ren
- Kazuma
- Hiro
- Kureno
- Rin's Parents

I am looking forward to everybody's replies to this character, ENJOY!!! Very Happy

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:02 am Reply with quote
Ok, since no one came these days to start the discussions about Rin, I will do it and hope that there will follow more. Wink

What made this character stay in my memory is probably the fact that spoiler[ she was one of the most tormented zodiacs. Akito didn't spare any effort in making her life miserable and I think that it all started from the fact that she has noticed the love that existed between Rin and Haru (probably if not the most beautiful love story in the manga, I would say definetly the second as beauty, emotions and suffering). Probably also the fact that Rin was similar to Ren (another infamous character for Akito) didn't help much either. Nonetheless, Rin has always had a miserable life starting with her childhood when she discovers that her parents don't love her at all and that they were pretending to be always happy just for a facade. From that moment when they deny her as a daughter I would say that her life has started to go only downhill, even if there was always Haru by her side. ]

I think that her parents spoiler[were the most annoying characters, ever. For me they are right in the same category as Momiji's mom. incapable to accept their children as they are, they only reject them and what's even worse is the fact that they also make the children aware of this fact. They make their children believe that it somehow their fault for being born like this and perhaps Rin's parents are one of the worst cases that exist in the manga. ]

The proof that spoiler[Rin won't be able to face all her troubles for a very long time is the fact that towards the ending of the manga, she still has trouble to forget. She observes that everybody behaves like nothing wrong happened while she is unable to forget the horrible things that she has experienced.]

More, coming later. Wink Laughing
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
There is nobody here right now, nor was there anybody today. Quite dead. Anyways, I have to agree with you. Rin spoiler[faced abuse after she uncovered the truth about her parents, until one day she was found lying on the ground by Haru, and taken to the hospital. It's not just Rin's parents and Momiji's mom, but also Kyo's dad, who's probably pretty close to the worst of them. Personally I am glad that Rin's parents got rid of her. It pains me to think of what was happening to Rin and she gained freedom from the two hypocrites. ]

I think spoiler[how Rin was being treated was how she caught Hatsuharu's eye. Like Hiro, it meant that he found something to protect, but he didn't know how to deal with the situation so it wouldn't turn out bad, which it did. Still, he gave hope to Rin, until that fateful day. So from then on, Rin swore to herself that she would find a way to release Haru from his suffering, which was being cursed. This shows she truly loved him, but just couldn't express it in a nice enough way.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Most probably spoiler[Rin's parents were a bunch of hypocrites, low persons who didn't know that a child should never be treated like that. I also agree with you: Kyo's dad definetly deserves a spot right next to these cold blooded people. But no matter how worse one parents might be, one would still like to feel appreciated by them or at least wanted at some point. Which never happens to Rin. She has that period when everything seems to be so great in her family and once she discovers the truth she is doomed. I would understand her father's reaction (let's say that he would have found difficult to get close to his daughter when she is transforming at a simple hug), but her mother has no excuse. Which all makes the matter worse for Rin. When she is finally kept by Kazuma and then by Kagura's parents, I think that she finally sees how it is to be part of a a family which makes the matter for her even worse because she sees how it is to be loved or desired by the others, and yet she hasn't experienced that.]

From this point of view I would also say here that in a way Rin felt spoiler[ jealous on Kyo or even Kagura. I remember that it is even shown that Rin and Kyo would stare at each other quite a lot and later on in the manga, when he finds out that Rin will live with Kazuma, there are some jealousy issues all though he says that this way shishou won't feel lonely anymore. On the other hand there is Kagura, who is also cursed but who's family hasn't denied her. It is true that there aren't many things said about Kagura's father, but nonetheless the fact that she is loved and doesn't have any complaints make the matters clear to us and to Rin. ]

Haru is for her perhaps spoiler[the person that she needed the most. Haru has his own weaknesses and he's far from being perfect but he has cared for her from the moment he has seen her and he is also the one who has screamed at her parents to apologize to her. Perhaps the fact that he had so much courage although he was very young or perhaps the fact that he has been so gentle with her made her all the more to release him from the curse. ]
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm only beginning to see Rin's story in the volumes that I'm at. You two are REALLY making me look forward to seeing the heart of Rin's story.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:32 pm Reply with quote
I find it interesting how spoiler[even though Haru is the younger person in the couple by two years, he definetly is the mature one in my opinion. The way he handles things is clearly different from the Rin will handle them, which is usually with an open mouth and angry attitude. I also think that Rin didn't want Tohru to get too involved with the Sohmas, like Akito, because why bring an outsider inside the circle.]

But even though spoiler[they have quite the opposite of personalities, they fit together, and I think it's too bad that it took both of them so long to finally get back together. Haru not knowing the truth, you could say ignorant to Rin's motives, wondering why she was acting the way that she was. And Rin, who was going out all the way to try and find how to break the curse, even offering herself to Shigure for any clues whatsoever.]
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Like LydiaDianne, I feel as if Rin's story is only just beginning in the volumes I've read. I don't know how much I can contribute to the conversation.

I wonder if Rin spoiler[is depressed or on the verge of depression? It's never stated in the volumes I've read (maybe it comes up later), but with her tragic past and her more recent self-destructive behavior, I wouldn't be surprised. I hope her breakdown with Tohru helped. She seemed more subdued after that, but the story so far hasn't told me if that's a good thing or a bad thing.]

Aya_honda brings up some very good points about spoiler[Rin's parents and her life with Kagura's family. I'm sure Kagura's parents made every effort to make Rin feel welcome and wanted, but I'm not sure Rin was ready for that. Like aya_honda said, part of it is jealousy that Kagura wasn't rejected like Rin was. However, I think it's also clear that Rin felt totally worthless at that point, after dealing with her unloving parents for years and their ultimate rejection of her at the hospital. Rin probably felt Kagura taking her in was more out of pity than love, and she probably stays away so much to not be a burden on the family.]

Well, I had more to say than I thought. Very Happy

-Murph
aya_honda

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quote
I would say a few things at this point (referring to what fighterholic said): spoiler[I would say that Haru finds the maturity that you are talking about only when he finds out about what really happened and what made Rin act like that. The maturity of Haru I find it only in that gesture. For many years he has refused to accept the fact that he was harming her in an unwilling way, of course. Starting with the fact that he made Akito aware of his love for Rin. On the other hand I don't support Rin's idea of trying to find out something about the curse the way she does and sacrificing herself at some point uselessly. But just like in some twisted way, similarly to Shigure, she tries to do something and for this I admire her character very much. The strength to holding up even when your darkest fears come true is something truly remarkable. I feel that Rin has many things to learn about life (like for example relying on your friends) but on the other hand she has tried to do something good with the curse and with her life.. She has tried to bring happiness to the man that she loves even in her darkest hours and this makes me admire her even more. ]

It was nonetheless spoiler[a stupid thing to do: she is so lost in her desire to do things right for Haru that she doesn't see how much she hurts him with her acts and her gestures. But the way she proves herself into becoming a better person, the way she wants to do the things better for the both of them and the way she fights the temptation of just putting an end to the misery that she endures for him and choose a better path makes me feel that Rin is perhaps one of the most complex characters in the manga along with Shigure. It is such a huge character in my perspective and so much to offer to the reader. ]

One of the traumas that she has suffered due to spoiler[her parents' rejection is the fact that she believes that she is not a good person. She feels as the lowest person in the manga and this is one of the most impressive episodes in the manga, the moment she breaks down with Tohru and she says that she is not a good person later on in the manga. But she is. This is her tragedy: she is a very good person. She just has so many demons to battle with that she doesn't know where to start from. And perhaps this is Haru's job: to make her not necessarily a beautiful girl, but a wonderful person inside, a person who deserves everything.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:36 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree that spoiler[she took it pretty hard when her parents rejected her. And I think the trauma of getting pushed out the window of the second story because you found somebody to love only adds onto it. Her parents made it look like they were the victims, and Akito told her she was useless. Which makes her up for what she is while trying to find a way to break the curse.]

I also agree, spoiler[you have to admire her for not giving up, at least until there are no other alternatives at the end. But it only took her going through a lot to finally just let it go, and get back with Haru. And Shigure admired her not giving up as well. So with his tendency to play people in his hand, he sent her off into a mess, and then at the end told her the answer. But he didn't even admit guilt or remorse, which will be an interesting topic when his time comes.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I think that she has tried so hard to be someone good for everybody else that she has forgot to be just for her. spoiler[I was touched by a scene when Tohru went to her to bring her some marmalade (I can't remember exactly) but she didn't showed that she was impressed then. However later on she is showed by eating it and being really melancholic about it. I think that Tohru touched Rin in a really unexpected way. Just like Haru, Tohru was really preoccupied by Rin's wellbeing and Rin felt unhappy in a way because of this. She felt that she had even more responsibility to what she has done so far. ]

Surprisingly it was Rin who spoiler[force Tohru into finally realizing that the only person whom she truly loved is Kyo. By demanding to know who is the most precious being for her and by forcing her to give an answer, Rin forced Tohru not only to admit to herself the truth but also to finally take a decision, which actually doesn't surprise me at all. They are both doing some things which are really wonderful and all because they are in love. Nonetheless each must make huge sacrifices and perhaps at some point they had to ask themselves what exactly are their true desires. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:00 am Reply with quote
Rin spoiler[really watched out for Tohru while she was going through her time of confusion, whether she was trying to help Kyo for her own interest or his own interest. Like when Kagura hit her, and Rin snapped back at Kagura, and it really got into a girl fight. Of all the times that I had seen Rin and Kagura together, this was the first and the only time in the series where there was a serious confrontation between these two. It totally brought out a new mood.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:49 am Reply with quote
Yes, the confrontation between spoiler[Kagura and Rin one quite interesting but they both made Tohru at that point realize that it's time for action. I liked the way Rin acted all protective but when it came to be like this with Kagura as well she was all being ironic and make Kagura suffer even more. Rolling Eyes ]

It was also interesting to see how a relationship was established between Yuki and Rin as well. spoiler[For example Yuki didn't know Rin so well, he remembers her when she was coming with Haru to visit Yuki when they weren't allowed. But later on when he discovers her together with Tohru a real clash of wills is made. I would say that in a way I think that Rin has a too strong personality even for Yuki. She definetly needed a man like Haru although he takes time in getting more serious and mature and finally take a stand in front of Akito.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:18 am Reply with quote
The thing about Rin and Yuki. spoiler[Yuki was at the time being kept alone by Akito, but Haru would come and see him to keep him company and while he was it, keep Yuki alive (psychologically or else he would have broke). Rin was there to accompany Haru, but at the same time she was the guard for Haru in case somebody was coming to Yuki's room which, sure enough, as soon as she and Haru would leave, someone would come into Yuki's room. Rin was also upset at Yuki for being ignorant to Haru, like the fact that Yuki was out of the Sohma house because Haru asked Shigure to get him out of there. Like he was supposed to know that. She was also upset somewhat at Haru for keeping his end of the bargain with Shigure even though it turned out to be a joke, and Haru ended up calling Shigure "Sensei" for the rest of the series.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 54 of 170