• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Good points, fighterholic and LydiaDianne. That kind of acceptance is always different coming from a different adult than your own parents. It's like advice that your parents area always giving you, but you ignore because they're your parents. But the same advice coming from another adult you respect has a different impact. Are Kyoko and Hana spoiler[ever shown interacting in the manga? I know there was the once flashback to a party congratulating the girls on their admission into high school, but I don't think they spoke to each other. Just wondering. ]

Slightly off topic, my impatience got the better of my and I found the rest of the manga through "other means." I still plan to buy the rest of them when they're released. I own the first 16, another 7 over the next two years won't stretch my budget too much. But I couldn't wait for the rest of the story.

You'll enjoy this Lydia: I recently finished the chapter where spoiler[Haru confronts Akito about Rin. I was cheering for Haru because he was finally telling many things that needed to be said. I'm still not where whether he went full Black in that scene or not. ]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
spoiler[Kyoko and Saki were never shown interacting in the manga, though it was probably made known that since in Arisa's flashback Saki joined the group later, over a time they interacted. It probably would hae been interesting to see how they would have dealt with each other, Kyoko being a daughter lover and Saki being the denpa shojo.] Laughing

I'm glad to hear about your recent discovery Murph. No, spoiler[Haru was not Black when he went to Akito, that was him in the flesh because of the truth behind the person he held dearest to his heart.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quote
With good hearts and stuff, I direct your attention to our hint for next week, which comes down to one of three people left.

HInt: spoiler[Sold out by his parents, found motherly love in one girl, found true love in another]
That should be pretty easy to figure out.
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:00 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
With good hearts and stuff, I direct your attention to our hint for next week, which comes down to one of three people left.

HInt: spoiler[Sold out by his parents, found motherly love in one girl, found true love in another]
That should be pretty easy to figure out.

I am evil and I will answer this question first Twisted Evil Could it be spoiler[Yuki]? I can't believe that we have reached such a huge number of characters. Shocked
Ningensei

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:02 pm Reply with quote
My predictions are coming true! Laughing I though this week would be spoiler[Yuki]. That means there are only two more characters left and I think I know who they are.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Yep. We've come all this way. I'll have to go back and dig up when we started our little escapade here in the thread. I have to say though, with the character discussions, it really helped the thread grow and bring in a lot more people to talk about Fruits Basket. LydiaDianne had been around here and there but her participation really grew with this section, and Murph and Ningensei joined the thread thanks to the discussions as well. As of now we have 73 pages in the thread, over 1000 posts, and have had over 23000 views.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Yep. We've come all this way. I'll have to go back and dig up when we started our little escapade here in the thread. I have to say though, with the character discussions, it really helped the thread grow and bring in a lot more people to talk about Fruits Basket. LydiaDianne had been around here and there but her participation really grew with this section, and Murph and Ningensei joined the thread thanks to the discussions as well. As of now we have 73 pages in the thread, over 1000 posts, and have had over 23000 views.

Yay! Go us!
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:05 am Reply with quote
Laughing

Which means that there will be more! Now we just wait for the official post! Wink Which by the way are going to miss me a lot since fighterholic has some unfinished business to attend to. Sad I wonder how this thread will look like after we finish these characters..... Shocked
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:31 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

The character discussions are actually the reason I joined the ANN forums in the first place! Very Happy I have been using and reading articles on ANN for 2+ years now but never really felt comfortable with joining the forums, although I did browse in them quite frequently. But when I saw the FB discussion change from following the Japanese releases to character discussions I though that it was something I could participate in. Thanks for letting me join in with you guys! Embarassed
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Welcome to Yuki week!! Very Happy We're on the homestretch for the character discussions, then onto various other subjects concerning the series.

Characters related to Yuki:
- Tohru
- Kyo
- Shigure
- Hatsuharu
- Kagura
- Momiji
- Hatori
- Ayame
- Akito
- Ritsu
- Hiro
- Kisa
- Rin
- Kureno
- Arisa
- Saki
- Kakeru
- Machi
- Kimi
- Naohito
- Motoko
- Yuki's Parents

spoiler[The Prince. The one who was "protected" by the pretty-boy crazy girls only to find that his once cold and distant personality was turned into something of humor and what it meant to talk to be people and be human.] Takaya sensei certainly did a wonderful job of developing his character to what we saw of him at the end of series, much obliged to being able to read about Yuki through the entire series.

Edit: Tagged

Last edited by fighterholic on Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:03 am; edited 1 time in total
imrhien

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 3:30 am Reply with quote
I feel a bit sad that I've missed most of this discussion - especially as Fruits Basket is the only manga series I've ever actually read through to the end (I'm not much of a manga reader).

So basically, we're just talking about anything about Yuki? I agree that his character was really well developed. Yuki (at the beginning of the series) sort of showed how being good looking and being popular didn't necessarily mean having a lot of friends. He would always be on the outside, not really knowing how to get involved with other people or how to express himself, which I guess is something a lot of people could relate to. It was really great to watch him grow, which obviously Tohru helped with a lot, but I also think his friendship with kakeru spoiler[was really important - maybe because Kakeru didn't put him up on some podium like most of his classmates seemed to do. He didn't take him too seriously - which was really good for Yuki.] Also, Kakeru was the person (unless my memory's really bad) that Yuki eventually told what he thought about Tohru - spoiler[that he thought of her as a mother. On that note, I was pretty glad that he said that, because I never really thought Yuki/Tohru could work as that sort of a couple.]

Yuki/Kyo's rivalry/enmity was also interesting to watch develop - at the beginning, it seemed pretty childish to me, but as the story progressed and you learnt more about their relationship, it made more sense. In the end, spoiler[I really loved the sort of understanding they seemed to come to. It was great to get some closure on that.]

Also, out of all the heartbreaking childhood stories in furuba, I'd have to say Yuki's was definitely one of the most devastating (and disturbing). I was bawling my eyes out, anyway. Embarassed

(I wasn't sure what counted as spoilers, so please tell me if I need to hide anything else, and I apologize if I spoiled anything!)
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:01 am Reply with quote
I don't like much Yuki's character, I must confess at least this, but I found myself really interested in the developments that his story might have. I mean, it all began with the discovery that this girly-looking guy has more heart pains that I would have expected at the beginning.

Particualrly his parents and the relationship with Akito turned him in what he was at the time Tohru met him. I mean, let's face it: spoiler[in spite of the fact that Yuki is the mouse we find him in a very troublesome situation. He has been practically sold to Akito by his parents and it took many years for this wound to heal (if it actually healed). His mother was a very cold woman, I remember her coming to that parents meeting with Mayu and she was so cold that even now I'm wondering how come Ayame is her son. Laughing Not that it would be easy to have a son like Ayame.... Yuki also suffered because of this. His brother prefered to have much more freedom and therefore he didn't mind that Yuki was always pushed around to keep Akito company and later on even to be his pet. Cause many times I had the feeling that Akito has seen Yuki like a pet.]

As for the relationship between Yuki and Kyo - spoiler[I really loved the way Takaya-san reflected what was actually going on between them. The fact that they saw each other as enemies, definetly put some fire in the story, especially that at some point we get the feeling that actually it would be Yuki who would get Tohru. Even more, there's this rivalry between them since one of them has made the other be the most despised one of the zodiac. Kyo can't forgive Yuki for his because he must have someone to blame for the situation in which he is. On the other hand Yuki finds all the situation even more troublesome because he knows how many things he has lost n favour of being with Akito and bein tormented by her. ] If I remember correctly, there's an image which shows spoiler[the zodiacs going to school and laughing while Yuki is sitting in the car and would badly wish to go along with them.] Sad
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:33 am Reply with quote
I think I'm going to break down my thoughts a little at a time here. It would be a very long post if I did everybody.

Tohru - spoiler[Tohru was a bit of a rescued puppy for Yuki at first, IMO. She was in a bad situation and he felt the need to help her. But he learned that she had something that could help him. Namely cooking and cleaning skills. But, as time went on and they learned more about each other. Yuki saw her in a romantic light or at least thought of her that way. Especially when he came to get her at her relatives house and referred to her family member as a lowlife and not to speak about her again. But as the story progresses, you see that romantic feeling ease off until you see him admit that she's a mother and a friend to him then as a lover. Shigure began cracking Yuki's shell but Tohru was the one who removed the pieces.]

Kyo - spoiler[Whew! Talk about hatred! And they do hate each other. A lot of which is caused by the Zodiac tale but a lot is because of the fact that Kyo is very competitive and can't stand the fact that Yuki (who looks like a girly wuss) is better and stronger than he is. But, even though they don't like each other, they do join up with each other against Shigure's idiocy. In the beginning, being against Shigure's idiocy is the only thing that they can agree on. That and the fact that they should protect Tohru. And due to Tohru's influence and the fact that they live together, they learn more and more about each other and discover that the other's life has not been a bowl of strawberries and cream. I think that not only Tohru's presence helped Yuki grow but Kyo helped Yuki grow as well. Kyo helped Yuki see that he could be more comfortable with others and that he could eventually become that way.]

Shigure - spoiler[Dear insane, happy, cruel and manipulative Shigure. For Yuki, Shigure was shelter. Protection from the torture that was Akito. And because of the fact that Yuki was living with Shigure, he was able to meet Tohru, live with Kyo and begin to shed his tormented past and become the person that he really wants to be. Yes, Shigure drove Yuki nuts with some of his behaviors but Yuki kept things very internalized. Shigure's antics caused Yuki to break through that barrier occasionally and become more human. Or at least, cracking the shell to start becoming the person that he wants to be.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:05 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. Shigure spoiler[at times would be driving Yuki (and Kyo) crazy but without him, Yuki would have been trapped in the Sohma house for the longest time, and probably would have broke (I think he already did, but his mental capacity would have gotten even weaker). Shigure was just one of the tools to help Yuki become the person that he is now.]

Without Hatsuharu spoiler[begging Shigure to get Yuki out of his prison, Shigure would have never asked Yuki if he wanted to go. Hatsuharu like Kyo was laughed at and ridiculed by the Sohma household because of the nature of the Zodiac spirit that possessed him, the Cow. The Cow was ridden on by the Mouse to the gathering of the Zodiacs, and Hatsuharu was thought of as a dumb, lazy animal. So when Hatsuharu first met Yuki, he unloaded on him, saying it was all his fault that he was being treated the way he was, and how he was stupid. It was then that Yuki asked him if he was, and that changed Hatsuharu forever. And Hatsuharu would go to see Yuki often, and then when the time came, Haru saved Yuki, at the expense of having to call Shigure "sensei" for the rest of his life.]

Kyo and Yuki spoiler[didn't see each other much in the younger part of their childhood. If they did, would they have ended up like Yuki and Haru? They both hated and they both envied each other, to have the life that the other had. It was only after Tohru's incident did they tell each other how they really respected each other. Their rivalry though cannot be blamed on them, they were just unfortunate souls caught in the torment of the Sohma household, for their parents' own gain as well as Akito's.]

And Tohru, spoiler[who helped Yuki become the better man that he is. She listened to him, and all his thoughts, and reflected on them to give him advice and words of kindness. I thought for a while at the beginning of the series that there might develop a relationship between the two, we were already seeing one but to see if it might go beyond that point. Then the unexpected happened and we see that Kyo likes Tohru, and it is becoming obvious with each passing volume of the series to Yuki and the others. Yuki finally realized his true feelings for Tohru, and was sad to see that it was turning to the way he had not wanted to see it, but couldn't ignore those feelings. But as time goes on, he saw Machi, who was in a similar situation like him, and with him growing the way he was, he was able to help another lost soul.]

Kakeru spoiler[really brought out the humor of Yuki as we saw in him towards the end of the series. Without Kakeru, Yuki wouldn't have become so light spirited, and wouldn't have seen in Machi (probably wouldn't have seen her at all) what he did later.]

My goodness, look how much I've written Shocked I think this is my longest post (excluding all the charater intros) in the thread yet.
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Okay, my next group. I just woke up from a nap so forgive me if I'm a bit incoherent.

Hatsuharu - spoiler[Another memeber of the Zodiac who may have a reason to "hate" Yuki. And when he is younger, he actually does. But as time goes by, he learns and realizes that Yuki doesn't exactly have it so good. Haru is the one who buys Yuki's freedom from Akito. He went to Shigure, promised to call him "sensei" if Shigure would get him out of that house that was, really, killing them all. Haru sort of transfered some of the "hate" he was feeling to Kyo but mainly as an "I want to get stronger" sort of things. Haru, I feel, was Yuki's first true friend.]

Kagura - I don't think that I can really say much about Kagura and Yuki. Mainly because Kagura really doesn't see or think about him. Her focus has been entirely on Kyo.

Momiji - spoiler[Momiji drives Yuki a little nuts with the way he acts but Yuki seems to like him. Momiji shows Yuki that you can have tragedy in your life but you can also be of sunny and cheerful personality.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 73 of 170