• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Free! (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:36 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I don't really hate on Nitori, but his plaintive voice drives me up the wall, which I suspect might be behind the Nitori bashing for others too.

I gotta admit that Miyata's voice did have a large part in my opinion of Nitori. Miyata's a great actor (and a really funny person) but guhhhh!! This one voice of his is just so annoying. ^^;; It's (probably) fine when it's for an animal voice or something but when it's for a human character... yeah.....
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:43 pm Reply with quote
and wouldn't you know it, spoiler[he's got a girly name as well]
Crisha

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:43 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, my dislike for Nitori is in large part because of his voice. I don't want Rin around him because I don't want to hear Nitori. His whiny, plaintive voice nearly drove me up a wall. If he was quiet or subdued, that would be one thing, but he was always trying to chat up with Rin in whatever scene he was in and demand his attention.

But there's another reason I didn't care for him, and it's how the senpai/kouhai dynamics are portrayed. The kouhai is this cute, innocent kid who's always trying to get the senpai's attention and please the senpai. His entire world is about getting in his senpai's favor. In whatever scene he was in, Nitori's entire focus was on Rin, whether it was trying to cheer him up or boost his ego. There really wasn't anything else to Nitori. Rin/Nitori borders too close to seme/uke, which I really don't care for in BL or yuri couples. I dislike it when the dynamics and power between the couple are too uneven. Rin and Haru are a lot more on an even playing field, in comparison.

Yeah, I could have gone about explaining my dislike of Nitori without the bashing, but I couldn't help letting out my immature, inner thoughts. Being the type of show this is (with a lot of fanservice for females), I reacted accordingly, letting my "inner fangirl" be more free to express herself, so to say. I don't often get the chance to fan over couples (especially BL couples), at least on this site. It was nice to have fellow fans to do that with.

DuskyPredator wrote:
And I thought my description was pretty much the essence of yaoi. "Nitori is the type that Rin can easily dominate when he gets all frustrated, perfect fit."

You're right, seme/uke is really popular among many BL fangirls. I just personally don't care for it. Seeing those dynamics between Rin and Nitori turns me off from them as a potential ship.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Nescio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
... etc so my solution let them have a big swimming orgy, which seems to have been the ending anyways with their joint practice sessions. Gou can join in on the fun too. Wink
Out of all these shippers, only you seem to undestand this show. It is about being Free!
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I see the Nitori hate as one part 'his voice is annoying' another part 'he's interfering with my ship!' I personally like Nitori and think he's adorable. Yes, his voice gets on my nerves after a while but I think he really does care about Rin and is trying to do the best for the senpai which he admires with the bare minimum information Rin gives him about his problems.

As for the ship, as the series progressed I began to lean more and more toward Rin being a porcupine uke-type character that switches on the occasion versus jerkish all the time seme, so Nitori tops. Mind you this would be on down the line, nothing happens now. I've been reading yaoi for years so this is a fun pairing for me but I'm also partial to ReiRin but it's really whatever the scene or episode fancies me, Kyoani is that good. Wink
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Finally found the time to do some catching up on the 10+ series still waiting for me to finish them, first one being Free!, because it makes me the happiest. Laughing

That was a very nice show, pleasant on the eye, lots of lovely moments and fuzzy feelings. I could have done with less backstory drama, I think, as I found it hard to follow the oh-so-big drama emotionally (that, as it turns out, spoiler[wasn't so huge in the end after all]). Still, I didn't think It would be possible to make me care so much about swimming, which really isn't even close to any kind of sports I'm even remotely interested in. But they made me care, and the animation of the swimming scenes was just gorgeous. Not really a shipping fan, but I felt the Haru/Rin dynamics were overshadowing all possible other pairings by far. I'm rating this show good and will watch a second season if and when it should come out.

Oh, and Rei is a total hero for his actions in the last episode.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:49 am Reply with quote
What a weak pathetic capricious selfish hysteric looser diva drama queen the red-hair is. Authors did not disappoint me with how much thoroughly annoying, obnoxious, unbearable he was right to the very end of the series. Even Bunny in Tiger and Bunny anime was fixed towards the end, but it did not happen here. You disdain the character as strongly as ever with unparalleled passion.

This anime is a disaster on character part (even other characters are pathetic for turning all of their lives to babysitting the useless red-hair character), but otherwise is good enough.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:01 pm Reply with quote
Glad to see KyoAni hasn't forgotten that men like this show too.

I'm pretty stoked for season 2.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:19 am Reply with quote
IT'S BEGUUUUUUUUUUUUUN!!!

And one more-- DON! XDDDD

Not even 10 minutes in and I'm already laughing my head off.

EDIT: I lied-- Two more from the ending because it was awesome!

AAAHHHHHHHH!!!

And now it's time for sleep.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:14 am Reply with quote
I was about to go to sleep and saw this was up and literally lost my shit. I'm now waiting for the episode to load. IT'S FINALLY BACK!!!!

This episode.This show. My heart. I just can't.
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:41 am Reply with quote
Free: Eternal Summer episode 1:

WOW. That was glorious. Well, okay I liked season 1's OP song better but it was still fairly good.

So we get an reintroduction of all the main characters in style. spoiler[The way the crowd were like WTF made me chuckle a bit. It's kinda funny how the rain just came down at that moment though. Bad luck much.]

I'm curious to see spoiler[what kind of relationship this new guy named Sosuke have with Rin. Inb4 some flashbacks. I bet he's a talented swimmer as well.]

Good episode.

Oh wait, that ED song. WOW. Just wow.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ookamigirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:08 pm Reply with quote

It's BACK!!!
spoiler[Another summer of boys in bathing suits, nice ^^
Hoping to see more competitions this season.
Haru is amazing as usual ^^
Looks like Samezuka-Iwatobi relationship has improved significantly.
It was nice to see Rin promoted.
Getting new members... such a pain again this year.
New characters are always welcome though!
This is gonna be an awesome season!
Will be watching this ^^
ED is great, totally loved it.]
sakuragtin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:24 pm Reply with quote
This episode was beautiful. I'm so happy it's back!

I really love the new ending theme song. spoiler[Sexy cop Rin was awesome and Makoto makes an excellent firefighter!]

It's gonna be a long wait till next week. spoiler[Maybe Sosuke will have more then two lines in the next episode.]
WhiteHairGirls

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:48 pm Reply with quote
Damn I thought the new main character would join Iwatobi swim club. Looks like they will be forever 4 members.

Also this Rin ending song scene lmao.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2014 4:36 pm Reply with quote
It's like it never left...

Many laughs were had. Gou's fetish is so powerful even her brother can't escape it Laughing Wednesdays can't come fast enough.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 21 of 34