• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yozakura Quartet's Yasuda Designs Characters for New Tenchi Muyo! Series

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:48 pm Reply with quote
D-Rock wrote:
They did the same for Tenchi Muyo GXP (new characters) and that turned out sh!tty... Scratchin' this offa my 'to watch' list.

GXP is awesome, it just looks like crap.

The biggest problem with this: where the science fiction element? A guy, girls and crazy technology, that's Tenchi.

Ancient local demon turns out to be an alien, I always loved that but with this, there's the girl with a name like Oninoshiro, that club, that outfit. The plot twist would be is she turned out to be human rather than an legendary or alien ogre.

And to think I first envisioned the classic characters of Tenchi sight seeing and then hijinks ensue but they couldn't make it that simple?
EricJ2

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
The biggest problem with this: where the science fiction element? A guy, girls and crazy technology, that's Tenchi.

Isn't this one the local commercial funded by the tourist board?
Or am I thinking of another short-form five-minute revival series?
AstroNerdBoy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
They did the same for Tenchi Muyo GXP (new characters) and that turned out sh!tty... Scratchin' this offa my 'to watch' list.

GXP is awesome, it just looks like crap.

Amen. (GXP did have its flaws, but I liked it a lot.)

EricJ2 wrote:
Animegomaniac wrote:

Isn't this one the local commercial funded by the tourist board?
Or am I thinking of another short-form five-minute revival series?

I think this is that series.
antvasima

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:58 pm Reply with quote
I am feeling really depressed about this. I had waited 10 years for a continuation of the OVA series, my favourite show of all time, was looking forward to the original creator Masaki Kajishima being involved in this, and now after being excited about the new series since its announcement, get something that has absolutely nothing to do with the original, not even the characters.

Why did they even have to call this Tenchi Muyo? How exactly does this qualify as a 20 year anniversary celebration? And how is something extremely generic looking possibly going to generate tourism and merchandising money? I don't get what the people behind this were thinking, at all. Sad
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:26 am Reply with quote
I honestly like Gxp, while the art was somewhat of a shift the characters were still identifiable.

But this has literally nothing to do with Tenchi whatsoever. I mean the guy looks like the main character of Yozarku Quartet, not Tenchi. The other characters are completely made up. I was already hesitant with the 5 min format, but this just sunk any interest.

I still hope that it has some success which helps get some more real Tenchi off the ground, but I am passing on this.
Dagon123

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:23 pm Reply with quote
antvasima wrote:
and now after being excited about the new series since its announcement, get something that has absolutely nothing to do with the original, not even the characters.....
Why did they even have to call this Tenchi Muyo? How exactly does this qualify as a 20 year anniversary celebration? And how is something extremely generic looking possibly going to generate tourism and merchandising money? I don't get what the people behind this were thinking, at all. Sad

People need to calm down and start setting back into reality here a bit, the website has been live for 2 days, we have a full 2 months until the show starts airing, there are plenty of spots left on that page for the girls to be there, and they will be there. They didn't start with the old girls because no one would care about the new girls anyway, they want to give them a chance because naturally everyone will flock to the new girls when they start popping up on the page.

The reason they got Yasuda in the first place is because for every person bitching about it, I've seen a person say "I really like Yasuda's design, I don't normally watch Tenchi, but I'll give this a shot", and that's the whole point, Tenchi fans are going to watch it regardless even with all the misdirected vitrol being thrown around, this is a way to get new fans who wouldn't normally watch Tenchi, to watch Tenchi.
antvasima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:29 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi is called Misaki now, not Masaki, is illogically taken from his original setting to become a schoolteacher, and Negishi is involved, not Masaki Kajishima. At the very "best" this will likely be another Tenchi in Tokyo alternate universe with everything changed about the characters and setting, and at worst it will have nothing to do with Tenchi Muyo whatsoever. I am only interested in the OVA continuity in either case.
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:14 pm Reply with quote
antvasima wrote:
Tenchi is called Misaki now, not Masaki, is illogically taken from his original setting to become a schoolteacher, and Negishi is involved, not Masaki Kajishima.
Article says "Masaki," or is it wrong?
antvasima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:17 pm Reply with quote
I rechecked, and you are correct. I could have swore that it originally said "Misaki" though. Maybe it was a corrected missprint?

In either case, I am really worried that, after Tenchi Universe, Tenchi in Tokyo, Nabeshin messing up GXP, and now this thing, the concept has been so continuously severely mismanaged, that this is the final nail in the coffin for the fandom of a franchise that I loved above all others, to the point that I bought all the Blurays, DVDs, and even mangas, and kept following it for 15 years.

After that kind of loyalty and commitment, I do think that I have the right to feel very disappointed.

Last edited by antvasima on Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:30 pm; edited 5 times in total
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
antvasima wrote:
I rechecked, and you are correct. I could have swore that it originally said "Misaki" though. Maybe it was a corrected missprint?
There's no edit blurb, so I'd guess you just misread.
antvasima

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:23 pm Reply with quote
Okay, never mind about that then.
JGZinv

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:32 pm Reply with quote
The old guard will complain as they always have. Kajishima's verse needs to die. It's bloated, full of holes, and he's backed himself into a corner that'd take significant restructuring to even fix. Much less the poor humor, convoluted politics, and character drop ins that don't make sense in the context of the anime being standalone outside of Japan. Oh and there's the matter of bat ears and torpedo class tatas on every female.

And while we're on the topic of the girls, I must have been the only one to notice that OVA3 pushed Ryoko and Ayeka aside for Noike. We're really going to complain about this and defend OVA3 when it has already violated that exact thing you disagree with? Really?

Tenchi desperately needs a reboot, in any direction. Their website isn't even close to finished and I have no doubt the other cast will show up in due course. He's a school teacher, which is ironically fitting considering he has to deal with a bunch of crazy and delinquent space aliens at home. He has to have the patience of a saint, much less his sword skills would allow him to ride heard on what appears to be a martial arts school.

The core Tenchi production staff is doing this one. It's about darn time they got back together. Kajishima is equatable to George Lucas, he's got a great imagination, but without other people to polish them and tell him no, you get the prequels. You've got a guy who worked on Durrara and Baccano, both excellent series. You've got Hayashi and Inque, both Tenchi veterans among other series.

This isn't about the Kajishima verse, it's about making Tenchi relevant again and giving it someplace to go from, get out from under the Tenchi-kami god end all be all with no outlet dead end that is the OVA.

It's 2014 not 2004, time to move on or accept that things change. We can't live in the past in stagnation anymore.

Oh yeah, and even with it being a OVA related series.
We Need More Dual!
(I'll take an updated reboot of that too)

*drops mic*
EyeOfPain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:39 pm Reply with quote
JGZinv wrote:
Kajishima's verse needs to die. It's bloated, full of holes, and he's backed himself into a corner that'd take significant restructuring to even fix. Much less the poor humor, convoluted politics, and character drop ins that don't make sense in the context of the anime being standalone outside of Japan.
Tenchi isn't standalone inside Japan, though. Kajishima has continuously published new stories as doujinshi for years.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:49 pm Reply with quote
JGZinv wrote:
And while we're on the topic of the girls, I must have been the only one to notice that OVA3 pushed Ryoko and Ayeka aside for Noike. We're really going to complain about this and defend OVA3 when it has already violated that exact thing you disagree with? Really?

Tenchi desperately needs a reboot, in any direction. Their website isn't even close to finished and I have no doubt the other cast will show up in due course. He's a school teacher, which is ironically fitting considering he has to deal with a bunch of crazy and delinquent space aliens at home. He has to have the patience of a saint, much less his sword skills would allow him to ride heard on what appears to be a martial arts school.

Tenchi Muyo! doesn't need a complete reboot. It needs an OVA that continues the second one and retcons everything out from since then. No Noike, no Mihoshi's brother, no disappointment Z, no Chibi Tokimi, no crapping on Tenchi's mother's memory, no making Ryoko and Ayeka irrelevant, none of that.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jibrilmudo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
So... it's basically not Tenchi Muyo at all. Or anything even approaching it, design or otherwise. I mean, you might as well have "Tenchi Masaki" be a talking kangaroo.

Well, I guess this is more Kajishima's speed nowadays, anyway.

I don't think MK had anything to do with this. Say what you will, he's pretty set in his world. The credit on the site means little, they obligatorily put his name as original creator on TU and TinT and all other TM animated products as well.

What he was showing fans in Tenchi -If- doujin was the original characters plus their kids. That was his pitch. It looked nothing like this.

My guess is they rejected his proposal, went with something like this, and as the original character designer, he pulled back his designs and so this is what they're making.

I suppose in the 90s he allowed similiar character designs for TU/TinT/etc since he and AIC had a closer relationship back then and for the payoff. Today with it's being bought and sold several time over, who knows?

With Comiket in a couple weeks, I'm sure we'll know for sure from his doujin.

Quote:
The old guard will complain as they always have.

Somehow those passing themselves off as "the New Guard" saw the anime 5 years or so earlier than an old guard like me Anime smile

Last edited by jibrilmudo on Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4