• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unlicensed/Untranslated Manga

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hotaru's Sister

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 8:54 am Reply with quote
I'm probably one of only a few but I'd die for the Blue Seed manga.
thatismynoodle

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 10:07 pm Reply with quote
I would be interested in what Excel was based off of. I'm sorry I can't think of the name off the top of my head. Oh and I would like to see a better translated version of Ragnarok.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Oh, this is easy. Wangan Midnight. It'd be the perfect complement to my Initial D mangas and Over Rev fanscans. Though I'd like Over Rev licensed too.

Akuma no Z > Tofu shop Hachiroku.
nancyn

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Hasn't Fruits Basket manga been licensed? I thought it was picked up by a smaller publisher in the U.S.? I don't know why I thought that...

I'm not sure how a scanlation for untranslated/unlicensed manga is considered "bootlegging"? Isn't a fansub of an untranslated/unlicensed anime series the same thing?
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 11:01 pm Reply with quote
nancyn wrote:
I'm not sure how a scanlation for untranslated/unlicensed manga is considered "bootlegging"? Isn't a fansub of an untranslated/unlicensed anime series the same thing?

The logic is this:
Legally, if you make a product that is a copyrightable work (a film, a new story, a comic, etc) you are inherantly granted the right to distribute your work however you wish, across the entire world. As such, the Japanese producers of the show (and sometimes other companies) hold the same worldwide rights to their show.

That means Shogakukan could sell Saishuu Heiki Kanojo in America -right now- if they chose to do so (Shogakukan produced SaiKano). They could sell it in Japanese with English subs, an English dub only, or maybe in French with morse code subtitles. They have the right, as they produced the show.

As such, someone does hold the North American distribution rights to SaiKano... and it is the Japanese company.

What typically happens is that the Japanese company will sell the rights to an American company, because the American company is more familiar with what Americans like and dislike.

Shogakukan saves themselves time and effort by selling the license, which means they can produce more anime and such.

However, Shogakukan is not obligated sell the rights. If they wanted to step in the American anime-releasing market right now, directly, they could do so. They could dub it in French and subtitle it in morse code, because they have the rights.

For example, on Japanese DVDs, you typically won't find animated menus, nor will you find extras. Half the time, you don't even get background music on the menu screen. These are all rarities in today's anime DVD market.

When we talk about 'unlicensed anime' and 'unlicensed manga', we mean "anime that does not have a domestic licensor".. but the Japanese companies still hold the North American distribution rights, and as such they legally have the right to do with the titles what they wish.

We do not permit linking to scanilations or fansubs because of this legal issue -- people should not be here, looking for translations not permitted by the company. If the fansubbers had permission from the Japanese company, then maybe there would be a difference... but afaik there's only been a handful of groups (mostly cons) who even bother contacting the Japanese companies for any reason.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nancyn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:54 am Reply with quote
Actually, I do understand copyrights Wink , what I was really trying to gauge was what constitutes "bootlegging" and if it applies to unauthorized distribution only (not selling), which it does--I just looked it up.

My point is that there are harsher "unofficial" community rules for "unlicensed" manga than for "unlicensed" anime. For instance, scanlations are "bad", but text-only translations are "OK" if you've bought the Japanese manga to read alongside. However, fansubs of anime seem to be more widely accepted as "OK" (because if the shows become popular it can lead to American companies buying the rights and distributing a dubbed and/or subtitled versions in the U.S.) but no one buys the Japanese DVD and has a text-only script to read alongside. To me it just seems that scanlations and fansubs are the same--they should either be revered or abhorred accordingly.

[add] I wasn't questioning or arguing with ANN policy, I meant the general perception in the overall community regarding fansubs and scanlations.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:47 pm Reply with quote
Please Save My Earth

Rose of Versialle (sp)

Five Star Stories
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Aaron White wrote:
Five Star Stories

Five Star is already being released (slowly) in English.
Aaron White
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 1:41 pm Reply with quote
Wow; I never dreamed that posting my wishes would have such quick results!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime
Ramen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 2:29 pm Reply with quote
I know you can get the FSS manga at places like Kinokuniya. I've also seen them at conventions. A google search comes up with some results. Here's one:

http://www.dmd-sales.com/manga/fivestarstories.htm

However, my understanding is that the releases are a standstill. I have a few friends who have given up waiting on the next English volume to come out and just went out and bought the Japanese. Maybe someone else here know more about this than I do.

Oh, also, there is a new FSS DVD that came out. I think it's the real deal (Japanese Import) and it has English subs and works in region 1. I saw that at Kinokuniya as well. (They don't usually sell bootlegs)
isaacada1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:35 am Reply with quote
FSS the manga is quite nice. I like how it's released in English with the large size format.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Arkard

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Well - these are the titles I would want to see in Poland (but I will probably never do.. but a man can dream Wink)

- Monster
probably one of the best titles in the world
- Real
- Bremen
- Hellsing (I guess I could order them from the USA but...... lack of cash Wink)
- Black Cat
- Rave
- Soul Hunter
- Eiji (have the scans and the original japanese manga - but I woudl liek to have it in english/polish)
- Shaman King (got 11 volumes in japanese + scans but still would like to see them in english/polish)

Those titles arent licensed in Poland and probably never be.
Cerberus

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 9:14 pm Reply with quote
I would love to see Pretty Face in America, as well as JoJo's Bizzare Adventure and just a few volumes of Kochi-Kame. I heard it was really funny and you could pick it up from anywhere in the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2