• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Maiden Japan Adds Patlabor: The New Files OVA

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
treatment

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:26 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
And just when I think Maiden Japan pulled its final disappearing act, they release another show with limited appeal from their only franchise.

I want to see more license rescues from them, not this rerelease of CPM's original pity release.

Well, not quite a re-release since CPM never have nor have ever released the BD edition...

Very Happy
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Oh, I don't know if I'm gonna triple-dip on this one for financial reasons (if I do, it'll be a while), but "The New Files" are easily my favourite Patlabor installments, particularly "Our Karuizawa", which had wonderful tension between Section Chiefs Gotoh and Nagumo forced by circumstances into a Love Hotel, and Kumagami and Clancy's argument about whether the ability to find information quickly is better than rote memorization in "Versus".

If anyone's wondering what I mean by "triple-dip"; I still have the CPM/U.S. Manga Corps VHS tapes in addition to the DVD release. Other than the ugly cover, I don't have any problem with the quality of the old DVDs which looks about as good as I can reasonably expect for a transfer of an early 1990s OVA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Good news, now we just need the movie collection with all dubs, including the third film. It may not be a good Patlabor film, but it's a fine monster mystery.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:26 pm Reply with quote
I bought the original OVA and the TV series in the Maiden Japan Blu-rays. They are an extreme improvement over the DVDs (which I had). I assume the New Files will show similar improvement.

The new Blu-rays make it hard to watch the New Files. Interestingly, the Bandai Visual and Pioneer versions of the movies still look good.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Good news, now we just need the movie collection with all dubs, including the third film. It may not be a good Patlabor film, but it's a fine monster mystery.

It's very underrated. It's the weakest of the Patlabor movies, to be sure, but still a pretty solid film overall.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 9:36 pm Reply with quote
pachy: Don't forget Mini-Pato.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:53 am Reply with quote
Tenchi wrote:
If anyone's wondering what I mean by "triple-dip"; I still have the CPM/U.S. Manga Corps VHS tapes in addition to the DVD release.

Heh... When I order ADV's version of New Files, it'll be the ... 6th(?) time that I've purchased the episodes. Of those six releases, the only version that I no longer own is the CPM VHS. ;p
teferi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:17 am Reply with quote
Touma wrote:
Since they are not going to dub it the CPM DVD release that I have will be good enough.
I like the show, but not enough to buy it again just to get better video.

CPM DVDs are terrible in comparison. I usually agree that BDs aren't worth double dipping for, but for patlabor the quality on the DVDs was terrible. The one downside would be that 1080p makes it a lot more obvious when it gets sloppy.

Quote:
Oh, I don't know if I'm gonna triple-dip on this one for financial reasons (if I do, it'll be a while), but "The New Files" are easily my favourite Patlabor installments, particularly "Our Karuizawa", which had wonderful tension between Section Chiefs Gotoh and Nagumo forced by circumstances into a Love Hotel, and Kumagami and Clancy's argument about whether the ability to find information quickly is better than rote memorization in "Versus".

+1.

Personally I liked the bath house episode (Black Trinary) the most. The way each of the all the guys from SV2 tried to coerce their targets really showcased why Patalbor is a lot more fun than your typical mecha anime.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:46 pm Reply with quote
teferi wrote:
Touma wrote:
"The New Files" are easily my favourite Patlabor installments, particularly "Our Karuizawa",[...]

+1.

Personally I liked the bath house episode (Black Trinary) the most. The way each of the all the guys from SV2 tried to coerce their targets really showcased why Patalbor is a lot more fun than your typical mecha anime.

You didn't like Black Trinary for that reason. You just liked watching the black censorship circles go flying back and forth in the bathhouse. ;p

Those are two of my favorite episodes. Patlabor's still my favorite anime because of both the characters and mecha designs. I'm happy to have bought the series several times over the last two decades... ^_^

Now I'd like the opportunity to buy Planetes for a third time...
CR85747

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:51 am Reply with quote
The New Files were uploaded to Anime Network and Hulu a few days ago.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2