• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Breaking News: Halko Momoi Slams Anime Expo on Blog

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:45 pm Reply with quote
Not to hijack a Momoi thread, but Hirano-san has started updating her blog again.

It's mostly about food, but on one post on July 4:

"できる限りの事はしました。
みなさん楽しんでくださったので本当に良かったです。
ただ、日本から来てくださった方は申し訳ありませんでした。
日本でやっているようなパフォーマンスが十分にできなかった事、本当にすみません。
悔しいので、最後にも言ったけどまたここに来て挽回します。
必ず。"

Which translates to:

"I've done everything I can.
It's a good thing that everyone had fun.
However, my apologies to everyone who came all the way from Japan.
I couldn't put up a performance that's as good as the ones we had in Japan, I'm terribly sorry about that.
I am extremely regretful about that, so I'll say this again: I'll definitely come back again and make it up.
For sure."

Awwwwwwwwww Aya-san
We'll always welcome you! It's not your fault!!! It's f**king AX's fault. *AX STAFF BURN IN HELL*
Not all hope is lost. Come back again! Maybe Otakon next time?
Next time, I'll be sure to fork out $$$$. I'm willing to pay up to $1000 to Bandai just to interact with Hirano-san and take a picture with her
Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:37 pm Reply with quote
That last bit sounds pretty scary...

Like 'The Fan' scary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
FiliKlepto

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:50 pm Reply with quote
BattlEdge wrote:
wouldnt anyone who watched haruhi be enthusiastic? If you are going to be working with a guest of honor you should get an idea of what they would be considered rude (the japanese are a very polite bunch).

I agree but at the same time, if etiquette hasn't been outlined for you, then it's very easy to make a social faux pas, particularly with someone from a different culture! (Look at all the movie stars who go abroad and cause an uproar, IE Richard Gere kissing Shilpa Shetty.) And based on all the unpreparedness we've witnessed in this situation, I doubt that the Americans on stage were briefed.

BattlEdge wrote:
also if i recall correctly, somewhere on ANN someone posted a quote from johnny boshe (don't know if i spelled that right) saying " its not fair, I didn't know the dance". again horrible planning.

SharinganEye wrote:
Interesting, so they (PJL + JYB) were badly scripted and [un]prepared to be misunderstood as acting like idiots?

THANK YOU.

Immediately after the first Hare Hare Yukai finished and everyone left the stage, Johnny actually apologized and said he wasn't trying to be a do*che (my word choice, not his), that he honestly didn't know the dance. I believe he had no idea that he would be called upon to do that much on stage at the concert, maybe he wasn't even expecting to do more than show up for a few minutes and then leave. I mean, they made him do Kyon's part because Crispin Freeman was not there. He looked even more confused than Patty, who at least knew she was going to be called upon to emcee.

BattlEdge wrote:
Lastly, just because people are japanese doesnt mean much. i know MANY asian people that don't have a grasp on their culture. not sure about the ASOS girls but you get my point.gah i gota go now, rants more to come.

Yes, but I believe that Kana and Haruka are nihonjin, not nikkeijin (Japanese-American). Or at least that was the impression I gleamed from speaking with Haruka personally. Also weren't you saying above that the Japanese are a very polite society? To quote, "the japanese are a very polite bunch." Anyhow, I haven't heard anyone say anything against these two. Most of the negative comments have been directed toward Patty and Johnny. I just hope that enough of the misunderstandings can be clarified so that people don't get the wrong impression.

As I said before, let's blame the people who caused the problems, not those who were caught in the crossfire. Those people have been through enough as it is.

(Edit: By the way, to steer this back towards Momoi, has anyone checked out that 2chan link posted a few comments back by Midori Kou? The response to Momoi Halko's blog were pretty... mixed, and some were kind of harsh, I'd say. For instance, Halko talked about feeling disrespected (paraphrashing here), and several commenters replied with something along the line of "Respect? From administration? LOL")
W-General

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well I definitely think they deserve all the respect they get, as long as they are fulfilling their part of the contract/deal. If they give the fans a good time, then they deserve the proper treatment from AX, and AX failed on this part.

From what I read, looks like the ASOS/America VAs really did not know what to do as well, and that makes the blame on AX staff even deeper.

(burn in hell please!)
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Zoe wrote:
jvowles wrote:
(Even a single competent part-time admin assistant would run the organization something in the neighborhood of 50-60k per year.)

Wow. Guess I should switch careers.

I don't know what you've been looking at, but that's way too high, especially for part-time, even taking taxes into account.

You may be confusing pay with cost.

Pay is about 30k-40k for an experienced admin assistant. A good rule of thumb is that it costs roughly twice the salary to actually employ someone. Add in some reimbursable expenses.... it doesn't take long to reach the number I quoted.
Zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:50 pm Reply with quote
jvowles wrote:
Zoe wrote:
jvowles wrote:
(Even a single competent part-time admin assistant would run the organization something in the neighborhood of 50-60k per year.)

Wow. Guess I should switch careers.

I don't know what you've been looking at, but that's way too high, especially for part-time, even taking taxes into account.

You may be confusing pay with cost.

Pay is about 30k-40k for an experienced admin assistant. A good rule of thumb is that it costs roughly twice the salary to actually employ someone. Add in some reimbursable expenses.... it doesn't take long to reach the number I quoted.

30K-40K would be pay for a FULL-time assistant, and that's actually rather generous. You clearly stated part-time. A quick glance at craigslist showed the average pay to be in the range of $10-$12 in the LA area. That's under $15K a year before taking the other costs into account.

Pay + federal taxes + state taxes + unemployment taxes do not add up to anywhere near that amount for that kind of job. Being part-time, benefits wouldn't have to be taken into account. I would argue that expenses are a non-issue because those would be occur whether somebody is in a paid position or not.

(I used to be in charge of these things when I was an administrative assistant, BTW)

Paid positions are very common in non-profit organizations and can even pay well. If a large, successful convention (or the organization in charge) can't even afford part-time help when it's clearly needed, I'd have to question their priorities.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:42 am Reply with quote
There is NO reason to hire an admin assistant for a con for more than 16 hrs a week (and even that is heavy IMO) outside the con. Let's say you give em a full 40 for two weeks before the con. And then for fun, let's say 40 hrs overtime (at time and a half) right there around/during the con. If you pay them $20/hr (which would be INSANE for an AA) that's still less than $20k for the year.

As noted by Zoe, you have no real reason to give benefits, so even with miscellaneous expenses surrounding the hire, there's no reason to exceed $30k or so. Now, if you wanna argue a competent administrator could even cost you in the six figure range, that's a whole different question and plausible. But then, I think you SHOULD be able to find someone "on the cheap" BECAUSE they would want to do it for love of anime, but granted, it is debatable how good the people you'd get under such a criteria. But really, there's no reason a good AA should cost that much. I respect you a great deal Jim, but c'mon.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:00 pm Reply with quote
W-General wrote:
The sound issue STILL didn't get fixed. It was played on WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER FOR CHRIST SAKE. The music lagged several times, God Knows and all the songs before it only had ONE CHANNEL coming out - you couldn't hear Yuki's guitar part. Hirano-san also had trouble hearing the music herself because her singing lagged the music by almost half a second, which means that she was hearing the music BOUNCING BACK from the far-end of the wall (yes, sound travels slowly)

I wouldn't say Patricia Lee was lazy or didn't care about the concert, but she was certainly unprofessional on stage and looked like she only saw the rehearsal stuff 5 minutes before the concert started.

Very very very disappointed at AX. Where's the professional staff? Professional sound crew? The volunteers knew NOTHING at each event and each time I asked, the answer was different - questions ranging from seating, ticketing, to what we can bring in to the signing session.

In terms of technical difficulties, I would say this year was the worse. I'm completely with you regarding the SOS event. That was such a HUGE disappointment, and I felt REALLY bad for the three seiyuus. I didn't mind Patricia Lee, and I actually thought her sarcasm added to the event more than anything, but what I found more annoying was them dragging out the dub voice actors out on stage. No offense to the American voice actors personally, but I didn't pay for the premier tickets and stand in line for hours to watch THEM. I actually felt bad for them because compared to the original seiyuu's, their skills were clearly inferior. Actually, when they had Patricia Lee do Haruhi's voice instead of Wendy Lee, it only showed how miscast the American Haruhi is (a general issue I find with dubs, but that's another topic for another day). When the American voice actor for Mikuru was on stage and responded to the question about voice acting training by saying she didn't go to any school, it only made me think maybe she should have. I hate to bash the American voice actors because I'm sure they're underpaid and underappreciated as it is, so I really blame the SOS organizers for putting them up against the original seiyuus and actually forcing us to make a comparison. Not to mention, that whole bit was just LAME.

Other than the really retarded technical difficulties, it was also embarrassing that they were obviously ill-prepared with the questions. It was almost as if someone who was completely unfamiliar with Haruhi, the seiyuus, or just anime voice actors in general was put in charge of the event. The questions they came up with were so pathetic! Also, was ANY rehearsing involved for this event? I find it hard to believe that there was. Even if there was a delay, weren't the people involved given scripts at least days before hand? I shudder when I think of the negative impression the Japanese seiyuus must be bringing back with them to Japan about the American con experience. Sad, really sad. Whoever organized and ran the SOS Brigade tour should be ashamed of themselves.
jvowles
Otakon Representative

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:23 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
There is NO reason to hire an admin assistant for a con for more than 16 hrs a week (and even that is heavy IMO) outside the con. Let's say you give em a full 40 for two weeks before the con. And then for fun, let's say 40 hrs overtime (at time and a half) right there around/during the con. If you pay them $20/hr (which would be INSANE for an AA) that's still less than $20k for the year.

As noted by Zoe, you have no real reason to give benefits, so even with miscellaneous expenses surrounding the hire, there's no reason to exceed $30k or so. Now, if you wanna argue a competent administrator could even cost you in the six figure range, that's a whole different question and plausible. But then, I think you SHOULD be able to find someone "on the cheap" BECAUSE they would want to do it for love of anime, but granted, it is debatable how good the people you'd get under such a criteria. But really, there's no reason a good AA should cost that much. I respect you a great deal Jim, but c'mon.

You know, you're kinda right. We'd looked into so many different options, I got them confused in my mind.

$30k-$40k was the range for a full time admin assistant; I believe the $50k I'm thinking of probably included the cost of leasing space and/or paying for internet/phone/whatnot. (The $30-$40k came from Salary.com.) Or possibly I'm remembering the cost of a virtual office assistant.

Whatever the case, the duties included dealing with pre-reg questions, playing phone tag with hotels and vendors and venues, dealing with travel arrangements, routing and prioritizing mail and messages, shipping for the online store, etc.

I'd argue that you'd want to hire your admin person *outside* the world of people who think it's cool. Hiring "on the cheap" frequently results in getting exactly what you pay for. (Kinda like "free" legal advice.) And you want your admin person's priority to be getting the job done, not getting off on the coolness factor.

It's also worth noting that the labor market is often quite different in the DC/Baltimore/Philadelphia corridor than it is in California.

I do recall we were looking at 20 hours a week or possibly full time, because there are endless details (travel arrangements, company contacts, etc.) that can be challenging to do in evenings and weekends, and we kinda wanted someone there on the phones all day. Playing phone tag eats up an enormous amount of time for volunteers. And as you mentioned, there'd be a spike in hours as the con approached.

At any rate, even *cheap* paid staff can add up considerably, which was my overall point.

(That's partly why we haven't done it -- that, and it takes time to interview, find the right fit and supervise them, and nobody could spare the time from their other duties to be in charge of that.)
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I wrote this on another forum but I think that this fits in with what has been said here:

Quote:
To be honest, I have zero clue on how to fix it. But, if what has been said on how the Japanese guests were treated - no hotel room ready, not allowed to prepare properly for events, etc. - are true, then it will be harder to get others to come.

Yes, the Japanese do not say derogatory things in public. But they are human and you know as well as I do that the talent are going to tell their friends about all of the bad things that went wrong. And the managers and producers sure as hell are going to spread the word amongst themselves about how poorly run AX is. And it is going to be harder and harder to get "name" Japanese talent to AX if this continues.

AX is broken, IMO. And broken badly. The problem is...how is going to be fixed.
FiliKlepto

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
W-General wrote:
The sound issue STILL didn't get fixed. It was played on WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER FOR CHRIST SAKE. The music lagged several times, God Knows and all the songs before it only had ONE CHANNEL coming out - you couldn't hear Yuki's guitar part. Hirano-san also had trouble hearing the music herself because her singing lagged the music by almost half a second, which means that she was hearing the music BOUNCING BACK from the far-end of the wall (yes, sound travels slowly)

I wouldn't say Patricia Lee was lazy or didn't care about the concert, but she was certainly unprofessional on stage and looked like she only saw the rehearsal stuff 5 minutes before the concert started.

Very very very disappointed at AX. Where's the professional staff? Professional sound crew? The volunteers knew NOTHING at each event and each time I asked, the answer was different - questions ranging from seating, ticketing, to what we can bring in to the signing session.

In terms of technical difficulties, I would say this year was the worse. I'm completely with you regarding the SOS event. That was such a HUGE disappointment, and I felt REALLY bad for the three seiyuus. I didn't mind Patricia Lee, and I actually thought her sarcasm added to the event more than anything, but what I found more annoying was them dragging out the dub voice actors out on stage. No offense to the American voice actors personally, but I didn't pay for the premier tickets and stand in line for hours to watch THEM. I actually felt bad for them because compared to the original seiyuu's, their skills were clearly inferior. Actually, when they had Patricia Lee do Haruhi's voice instead of Wendy Lee, it only showed how miscast the American Haruhi is (a general issue I find with dubs, but that's another topic for another day). When the American voice actor for Mikuru was on stage and responded to the question about voice acting training by saying she didn't go to any school, it only made me think maybe she should have. I hate to bash the American voice actors because I'm sure they're underpaid and underappreciated as it is, so I really blame the SOS organizers for putting them up against the original seiyuus and actually forcing us to make a comparison. Not to mention, that whole bit was just LAME.

Other than the really retarded technical difficulties, it was also embarrassing that they were obviously ill-prepared with the questions. It was almost as if someone who was completely unfamiliar with Haruhi, the seiyuus, or just anime voice actors in general was put in charge of the event. The questions they came up with were so pathetic! Also, was ANY rehearsing involved for this event? I find it hard to believe that there was. Even if there was a delay, weren't the people involved given scripts at least days before hand? I shudder when I think of the negative impression the Japanese seiyuus must be bringing back with them to Japan about the American con experience. Sad, really sad. Whoever organized and ran the SOS Brigade tour should be ashamed of themselves.

*appluase* Thanks, guys, for bringing up a lot of really good points. Personally, I found Patty hilarious as Haruhi (especially when they made her do the voice over!) I think that part of the reason people may have misunderstood her behavior is that she was staying in character as ASOS Brigade Haruhi. Anyone who's seen the ASOS Brigade videos before attending the event probably understood better that she wasn't being an a*s -- she was being Haruhi! But I agree; she did look unprepared on stage. That's because she probably wasn't prepared just like everyone else, which wasn't her fault, and she deserves no more blame for it than the English voice actors (I haven't seen anyone accusing them of disrespecting the seiyuu).

I'm surprised that no one else is saying anything about the one person I am incredibly irked with - the BangZoom! translator. That woman only exacerbated the problems that were already there. She kept trying to emcee rather than translate, and whenever Patty attempted to steer the show in one direction, the translator was all like, "Let's do this instead!" It was ridiculous; she wasn't even doing her job half the time and addressed the audience in Japanese. -_-; Confused No wonder whenever she said "On three, everybody say ______," the audience appeared lackluster to the seiyuu.

Edit:

I agree in particular that the English voice actors should not have been on stage. This event was all about the seiyuu, and it was a bad move by the organizers to bring the dub actors on stage. However, don't take what Stephanie Sheh said the wrong way when she told the audience she did not go to voice actor school. She explained that there aren't any established schools to teach you how to match your timing to the animation as exist in Japan, but there are workshops, etc. and the technique is taught as on-the-job training. (Also keep in mind that many voice actors do have prior experience with stage and improv). Am I the only one who thinks Stephanie Sheh's Mikuru is pretty cute? Much better than her Eureka anyway.

Wow. Looking back on it, I feel like I absorbed every moment of that concert. If anyone else has any questions about what was said / occurred, just ask. Wink J/K
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
FiliKlepto wrote:
I'm surprised that no one else is saying anything about the one person I am incredibly irked with - the BangZoom! translator. That woman only exacerbated the problems that were already there. She kept trying to emcee rather than translate, and whenever Patty attempted to steer the show in one direction, the translator was all like, "Let's do this instead!" It was ridiculous; she wasn't even doing her job half the time and addressed the audience in Japanese. -_-; Confused No wonder whenever she said "On three, everybody say ______," the audience appeared lackluster to the seiyuu.

I mentioned my dislike for her in my write-up of the concert. She was probably the worst translator I've seen at AX.
Kaguzuchi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:55 am Reply with quote
Regarding the Haruhi event, I also agree that the english voice actors were not at fault for anything. I thought they did quite well actually, better than most dubb actors I've heard (though I have to state that I hate most dubbed things and that the majority of dubbed voice acting I hear is strictly from previews or when I channel surf through tv).

The main people I hold responsible were whomever planned the event and especially whoever wrote the damn script. I gather there was a specific script when Patrica Lee gave her opinion about having to say "psychedelic" (or some word like that) and pointing to her script. I also believe that no one was probably given there script till probably about an hour or two before the event started judging by how the majority of them were holding papers and how they reacted (frantically looking through said papers) when unexpected events occurred. The guest are all professionals, and I'm sure if they were given the script within a reasonable time they would have had them memorized and knew exactly what would be happening. The result of this was that everyone was unprepared and it really looked like they were winging the majority of the performance. It was still enjoyable and the encore left me with a good impression but it could have been much much better. So once more, whoever planned the event and wrote the script should be the main targets of blame (along with the tech people).

However, I do understand why they did some of the things they did such as bring the ASOS crew into this. The event was titled "SOS Brigade Invasion Tour" rather than "SOS CONCERT" or something to that effect. I'm guessing they were probably trying to market to a more centralized American audience than the diehard Haruhi fans (they already have our souls so they're trying to attract new blood Shocked).Though I also agree that it's not what the majority, including me, wanted to see.

On a related note, Was I the only person that was bugged by the fact that over 80% of the questions at the Hirano, CHIHARA and GOTO panel were all directed specifically towards Aya Hirano? I know she is the fan favorite seiyuu (including mine), but the panel was for all three of them. I felt pretty bad for both Chihara and Goto because they were just sitting there looking kinda down 3/4's of the way into it. When they did have a chance to speak, they were very energetic and cheerful but those times were very few and far between. I did notice that one of the more general questions regarding the three of them was tackled by Hirano as the primary speaker but I felt that some of the questions should have been ask that gave all three of them a chance to speak.

I remember a few years ago, 2005 I think, is when we had Tomokazu Seki as a GOH and during that year, there were online submissions and polling for the desired questions to be ask. During that panel, there was a Q&A session which still involved questions from the audience as well as a mediator which interjected at points with the polled questions. This resulted in a very insightful and gratifying panel on both sides though time was limited as always.

I wonder if they can maybe implement that type of question structure for some of the more popular guest in the future especially for panels with more than one guest.

Any opinions on this? or was I just looking too far into something that wasn't there?
FiliKlepto

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Kaguzuchi wrote:
The main people I hold responsible were whomever planned the event and especially whoever wrote the damn script. I gather there was a specific script when Patrica Lee gave her opinion about having to say "psychedelic" (or some word like that) and pointing to her script.

Oh, good, someone else noticed too! I believe the word was "freakalicious" maybe?

Kaguzuchi wrote:
I also believe that no one was probably given there script till probably about an hour or two before the event started judging by how the majority of them were holding papers and how they reacted (frantically looking through said papers) when unexpected events occurred. The guest are all professionals, and I'm sure if they were given the script within a reasonable time they would have had them memorized and knew exactly what would be happening. The result of this was that everyone was unprepared and it really looked like they were winging the majority of the performance. It was still enjoyable and the encore left me with a good impression but it could have been much much better. So once more, whoever planned the event and wrote the script should be the main targets of blame (along with the tech people).

However, I do understand why they did some of the things they did such as bring the ASOS crew into this. The event was titled "SOS Brigade Invasion Tour" rather than "SOS CONCERT" or something to that effect. I'm guessing they were probably trying to market to a more centralized American audience than the diehard Haruhi fans (they already have our souls so they're trying to attract new blood Shocked).Though I also agree that it's not what the majority, including me, wanted to see.

Agreed on both counts. I didn't really want to spend that much time on the American voice actors, but I could understand the purpose of having them there.

Kaguzuchi wrote:
On a related note, Was I the only person that was bugged by the fact that over 80% of the questions at the Hirano, CHIHARA and GOTO panel were all directed specifically towards Aya Hirano? I know she is the fan favorite seiyuu (including mine), but the panel was for all three of them. I felt pretty bad for both Chihara and Goto because they were just sitting there looking kinda down 3/4's of the way into it. When they did have a chance to speak, they were very energetic and cheerful but those times were very few and far between. I did notice that one of the more general questions regarding the three of them was tackled by Hirano as the primary speaker but I felt that some of the questions should have been ask that gave all three of them a chance to speak.

I missed the panel, but I'll make sure to show Chihara-san and Goto-san some extra love in the future~
Viga_of_stars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Well I guess its never to late to say good things eh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8