• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN 2015 Survey Feedback

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ninja noir

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:44 am Reply with quote
I think this site needs more manga coverage. Sad
Knoepfchen

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:12 am Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
I would like to see ANN in some other languages, such as French and Spanish.

I believe you guys are doing an amazing job to keep everyone up to date with many kinds of news from the world of anime, manga, and related stuff in Japan, and although I prefer reading in English, making the ANN articles available in more languages would be great for many people who are either lazy or don't understand english. Thanks to the quality ANN has, it would spread like wildfire, and in due time it would be nice to include articles aimed at those territories (releases in France, Spain, etc.).

It would also be nice to have articles that compare different editions of anime and manga, such as the Japanese Blu-ray vs the NA Blu-ray and the like.

I agree.

Also, if other languages are not possible (and I'm fine with English, as it enables me to communicate with a lot more people, which is a plus), I'd be really interested in seeing more news coverage of anime related events going on in parts of the world other than North America. (Which is obviously going to be the focus with the majority of writers and members living or coming from there, so no argument there.) But, personally, I'd be really interested in seeing pictures and reading reports from conventions and the like in Brasil, Mexico, Italy, France, ... not just my own country. I suppose releases and dubs from other countries/languages aren't going to be of interest for most of the members, but convention and event reports might be - for me, they absolutely would. If ANN does not have any writers and contributors in non English speaking countries, maybe there could be guest writers or something like that.

I wish the would have had a comment function when asking about where I watch anime. I would have wanted to explain that I live in a country that doesn't have Netflix or funimation, and that availability (or lack thereof) is the only reason I resort to use certain streaming sites from time to time. I still support Crunchyroll, even though not all the shows I want to watch are available in my country, but by paying for the shows that I can actually watch there (which, of the ones I'm following, are exactly 2), I feel I am at least supporting the possibility they might make more available to me in the future.
escahime65

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:10 am Reply with quote
I would also like to see the return of Right Turn Only and more manga coverage. Ditto on getting the encyclopedia updated.

I would also like a transcript version of the podcast since I rarely have time to listen to it. But overall, ANN is doing a great job! Smile
Oraculo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:40 am Reply with quote
Ingcoliptis wrote:
1. On the Topic of AdBlock: I think there should be something saying "please don't block ads". Kind of generic, but I wasn't even aware that ANN ran ads until this survey, and I bet there are other people that use AdBlock and don't know. Most people download it and forget about it, so something asking to turn it off might alert people that they should turn it off (which I am promptly doing in response).

tuxedocat wrote:
Re: ad-block and premium memberships.
I think a lot of people who use ad-block do so for the same reason I got a premium membership. Sometimes ads can be so intrusive and/or distracting that it can be an unpleasant experience to even visit a site.

So think of this what you will... but the main reason I use AdBlock for ANN are none of the above. I primarily use it to block the many offensive female T&A pictures on your site. Therefore I have to use it pretty much every time I visit... which is not as often as it could be, since anticipating pictures of grotesque 3D boobs or panty shots makes me rather ill. It wouldn't bother me as much if you did equal time/objectification treatment for male charas, but neither you nor the anime industry does so, so there we are. But, say, if there were to be some kind of subscription option that automatically blocked such pictures or only showed pictures of males, I'd gladly pay for that! Yeah, right, like that'll ever happen... (It's amazing I'm still an anime fan after all that, isn't it? *sighs*)
So let the flaming begin!
potatopurplexs3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:46 am Reply with quote
I just love how one of the choices on "hobbies outside of anime" was Paul Blart. Laughing

Also, I would love it if RTO came back. And more coverage of light novels would be nice too. Either way, you're doing a great job ANN! There's a reason why this is pretty much the only anime site I go to.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:10 am Reply with quote
*looks at the answers*

But what if you already know Japanese and live in Japan? (would you like to go to Japan? Would you like to learn Japanese?) Hahaha
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:49 am Reply with quote
Oraculo wrote:
but the main reason I use AdBlock for ANN are none of the above. I primarily use it to block the many offensive female T&A pictures on your site. Therefore I have to use it pretty much every time I visit... which is not as often as it could be, since anticipating pictures of grotesque 3D boobs or panty shots makes me rather ill. It wouldn't bother me as much if you did equal time/objectification treatment for male charas, but neither you nor the anime industry does so, so there we are. But, say, if there were to be some kind of subscription option that automatically blocked such pictures or only showed pictures of males, I'd gladly pay for that! Yeah, right, like that'll ever happen... (It's amazing I'm still an anime fan after all that, isn't it? *sighs*)
So let the flaming begin!

I admit, it has been a while since I have seen the site with ads. From what I remember, there weren't that many NSFW ads.

I think that any ad that is really offensive can be reported here:
animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=129981

I agree with you that the sexy should be equalized a bit more. Maybe those of us who want more "objectionable" male images should start demanding them from these advertisers!
Razz
ParaSitius

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:01 am Reply with quote
My fave anime company would be AllTheAnime but it wasn't included on the list.
Hollow body

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:08 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Outside of anime and manga and other Japanese culture related interests, what are your other favorite hobbies / activities / interests

Masturbation...
da fudge did you know dat Shocked
championferret

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:27 am Reply with quote
Ditto on the lack of options for the 'do you want to go to japan' and 'do you want to learn japanese' questions...I figured 'I have been and also lived there' and 'I am' falls under 'yes' but given how other questions have multiple answers it seems weird for these to be just yes/no.

Additional feedback - a filter for the responders ability to add their own options. The second-hand embarassment I had reading some of those hurt.
toothless

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:40 am Reply with quote
First time using ANN forums, oh well.

The options seemed very messy and some were even written twice just in different ways (kissanime, kissanime.com) and others seemed just written as a joke, lol. Dunno how you're gonna organize that haha. I saw some people already mentioning the country issue. All legal streaming sites have very very little anime available where I live so even when you're paying for your account you get a ridiculously small amount of anime.
Some questions should have a "I don't play/read/watch". For instance I don't read manga so I just left everything in blank.
Jitsch

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:44 am Reply with quote
EDIT: Okay, this has been pointed out before, but anyway:

I think it would be interesting to include a question which country we live in. I think it's an important questions because it affects things like whether we can use certain legal streaming sites etc.

Also, I didn't like the questions "Are you interested in going to Japan" and "Are you interested in learning Japanese".

I have already gone to Japan and I've learned Japanese (I'm almost fluent), so it sounds wrong to answer "yes" if I'm asked if I'm "interested" in it.

I think for "Are you interested in going to Japan" there should be the additional answer options "I've already been to Japan and I want to go again" and "I've already been to Japan and do NOT want to go there again", maybe even add "I have fixed plans to go to Japan in the near future".

For "Are you interested in learning Japanese" I would add the answers "I am currently learning Japanese" and "I am fluent in Japanese" because, who knows, there might even be Japanese users here who wouldn't know how to answer the question at all.
lebrel

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47 am Reply with quote
One more thing: it would be great if the results from the site search could be reordered, at least by date; the default ordering is inscrutable and painful to page through.

configspace wrote:

lebrel wrote:
Regarding the mechanics of the site, the major thing that bugs me is the advertising skins that make the entire right and left edges of the screen into clickable links; if you have multiple browser windows open and want to shift focus back to the window with ANN, you have to be very careful about how you click on it or you will end up connecting to the advertiser's site rather than just foregrounding the window. I don't know how hard it would be to make the "live" part of these skins restricted to the images, rather than have it run all the way down?

I also would like less of the ad skin area to be active links too.. however, the current ad skins are not fully active either, only the upper half. If you scroll down to the blank areas, you can safely click there to switch windows.

Maybe it varies by platform then? Because this isn't true for me (Firefox on Mac); if the background goes all the way down the screen then the live area does too (for example, the current Funimation "dream girl" ad; the entire pink area on either side is a live link, even though the product images go only a short distance down).
configspace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:20 am Reply with quote
lebrel wrote:
Maybe it varies by platform then? Because this isn't true for me (Firefox on Mac); if the background goes all the way down the screen then the live area does too (for example, the current Funimation "dream girl" ad; the entire pink area on either side is a live link, even though the product images go only a short distance down).

It appears to be that way. With Firefox on Windows, the only active areas are the product image parts.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2015 10:27 am Reply with quote
aquadon1963 wrote:
i think you guys /gals are doing a great job
upgrades i would love to see
1) an additional choice in the encyclopedia / on the search for titles by genre page of ( japanese / with sub titles) OR (DUBBED in english) i understand that newer titles change from sub to dub (sometimes within months ) but with time this could be dealt with.

another option would be to just have a system of (S) for sub (D) for dubbed and (HYB) for hybrids
right with the titles on the search results pages
(and maybe even the other languages the titles have been translated to)

I am 100% against this, a) because it would increase clutter, and b) while it doesn't denote subbed or dubbed, there's already a system in place to denote which series are released in the US.

There is so much that the Encyclopedia editors are responsible for, making them go in and change the listing on every single title when it gets released in the US is ridiculous.

Quote:
2) For A.N.N. to be a bit more pro active in letting the anime companies know which titles Dub LOVERS would be interested in seeing / buying

or better yet a monthly pole of those who would buy/ watch on streaming (said title) if it were dubbed.
BUUUUUT with the added option for buyers of wether it be Standard / LE or Collectors edition that they would buy....

and taken a step further which OP or license rescue titles that folks would be willing to buy if a dubbed version created (especially if said title were being prepared for re-release)

I myself would even be into pre-paying for titles i would like to own dubbed ...so it could take some of the risk factor out of dubbing some titles ( For new releases this is mainly directed at Sentai ... i cringe now every time i read of them licensing a title i was hoping Funimation would get for Sentai only seems to dub about 40% of their new acquisitions )(For older releases it could mean a new lease on life such as City Hunter and Your Under Arrest Season 234
etc.

And take the results from the polls and get them into Licensing companies hands

Many companies have their own polls. It's not ANN's responsibility to do their work for them. I'd much rather ANN's limited resources go to putting out more news and working on the encyclopedia, rather than doing things that companies can do themselves. Most of the US companies have some sort of feedback submission on their sites, people can use those if they want to
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7