• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - The Ultimate Teacher

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brand

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:33 am Reply with quote
I remember seeing this a few years ago. MY friend's room mate had it. I do remember it being freaking strange, if I remember correctly the one girl had kitten woolen panties, and there was a strange spider-man joke. From what I remember I didn't think it was that funny more like WTF? It's high up there on the bizzarro meter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
doc-watson42
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quote
Justin Sevakis wrote:
CPM licensed a metric ton of anime with such random taste that it's almost as if they bought it sight-unseen.

Actually, I suspect that that was essentially the case—at least in part. Remember, Central Park Media was set to release Minna Agechau (under the title of "I Give My All") as one of their first two anime (along with Dominion Tank Police volume 1 in October 1991[1]), but pulled it because of the bad publicity surrounding the inclusion of a pair of pink paper panties as an extra. Sony Music Entertainment (the licensor, and John O'Donnell's former employer—he had been a vice president in the American subsidiary) apparently bought back the entire production run of VHS tapes (see TRSI's History of Anime in the U.S.) and (IIRC—it may have only been a rumor) in recompense gave CPM a number of other series instead. I infer that those series were the ones listed as "NO LONGER HAVE THE RIGHTS TO" in Anime on DVD's CPM entry in Catalog Check (or at least some of those titles comprise the "gift". An exception to that list is Here is Greenwood, which was a Software Sculptors release from before SS was bought by CPM (thus helping give John Sirabella the money to found Media Blasters).).

Some more (circumstantial) evidence:

The Ultimate Teacher was released in mid-1992.

• Checking I found that of the titles listed in Catalog Check, the following belong to Sony (per the copyright information on my copies; I don't have a copy of Space Warriors (Space Warrior Baldios)):
    Crystal Triangle (Movic/Sony Music Enterainment (Japan) Inc.)
    Dog Soldier: Shadows of the Past (Movic/Sony Music Enterainment (Japan) Inc.)
    The Ultimate Teacher (Movic/Sony Music Enterainment (Japan) Inc.)
    Wanna-Be's (Movic/Sony Music Enterainment (Japan) Inc.)
:::::

[1] Patten, Fred, "Fifteen Years of Japanese Animation Fandom, 1977–92", Watching Anime, Reading Manga: 25 Years of Essays and Reviews, p. 41.

For a bit more on the I Give My All non-release, see this 1991 rec.arts.anime discussion. (No, not much has changed in the last 16 years. ^_^ )
ichido reichan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:38 am Reply with quote
Justin...Please..PLEASE!!!

Review "10 little gallforce + scramble wars"

My favorite classic of all time
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 7:44 am Reply with quote
doc-watson42 wrote:
it may have only been a rumor) in recompense gave CPM a number of other series instead. I infer that those series were the ones listed as "NO LONGER HAVE THE RIGHTS TO" in Anime on DVD's CPM entry in Catalog Check (or at least some of those titles comprise the "gift".

In my three and a half years working at CPM (often directly with John) I never heard that story. Doesn't mean it didn't happen, and I have no doubt that John, Sony-man that he is, went directly to his friends there to source a large package deal. I doubt he got it free, though. Japanese companies just don't work like that.
xgemina

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:52 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The narrative lumbers along drunkenly, getting distracted by shiny things and occasionally forgetting where it's suppposed to be going.

This one sentence in the review makes me really want to see this OAV. I mean, I like shiny things too, you know.
Arakis
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:35 am Reply with quote
Holy heck, I can't believe you reviewed Ultimate Teacher. I saw this early in my anime fandom, and my friends and I thought it was one of the oddest things ever. I admit with some shame that for a while we were in the habit of doing the "kitty bloomer" taunt, weird sound fx and all. I've always liked the closing theme as well, which I think was done by Kome Kome Club.

My enduring memory of this anime will always be linked to an AMV I did to Weird Al's Dare to be Stupid. For the "Stick your head in the microwave and get yourself a tan" line, I had found a rather mediocre scene from Sailor Moon to use. One of my college buddies expressed some interest in watching UT, and I hadn't seen it in several years so I said sure, why not. He knew about the AMV I was working on, and when we got to the scene in the convenience store where a burly assassin actually disguises himself by hiding his head in a microwave, our jaws hit the floor. Needless to say it made it in. Good times indeed.

I put another vote in for Scramble Wars. My buds and I picked that up on the way home from Otakon '94, and as the only anime parodied therein we'd seen was Riding Bean, we were thoroughly confused. That didn't stop it from being entertaining, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:08 am Reply with quote
Now this take me back down memory lane. I remember this OVA well. It was all we talked about and still talked about back during my HS days. At that time my knowledge of Japanese culture was practically non-existant. You watch a title like this in the raw and you have no idea what the hell was going on or why things happened the way they did. All I knew was that some aspects of this show made me a "little" uncomfortable. I guess now that I'm a little seasoned I probably would look at this one a little differently. But I still remember that it was entertaining to a great deal of even when we didn't know what the hell was going on.

I would love to see this title released on DVD. I would love to add it to my collection. Considering that CPM released 'Outlanders'. I never would have ever expected that title to see the light of day. Let alone 'Prefectual Earth Defense Force' which was released by 'ADV'.

But yeah this is one odd little title that attracted it's share of fans. As for the reviewer that said, "don't show this to anyone if they're getting into anime for the first time." Hmm...well, if that being the case then I guess the one they should choose (and have) would be 'Legend of the Overfiend'.
jgreen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:41 am Reply with quote
YES, Ultimate Teacher! I only ever saw this once (rented it from the local Blockbuster back in, cripes, '96 or so) but this OAV absolutely cracked me up. I would love to see more of these strange one-shot releases that US Manga Corps cranked out get a DVD release, especially the long out-of-print Takahashi adaptations Fire Tripper, Laughing Target, and Mermaid Forest. Maybe this would be something for Imaginasian to add to their line? Wink

Good to see the love for Scramble Wars....I never did get to actually see this movie, but I always wanted to.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Swissman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:49 am Reply with quote
The more I read Mr.Sevakis' reviews, the more I get the impression his collection of odd/old anime ressembles mine, and this isn't meant as insult Surprised

Ultimate Teacher was one of the very first UK Manga Video Tapes I bought back in 1993 and I find it still as hilarious as back in the old days. The humour wasn't completely strange to me in the beginning because I already had some experience with lunatic characters from shows such as Highschool Kimengumi or the UY-cast thanks to french television. One of my favrorite jokes was the english sign "Grave of the unknown teacher" with some skeleton man crushing through the school hallway. The fighting in the convinienve store had also some hillarious and crude humour. Too bad the english dub sucked a lot. I'd like to see this OVA in its original language but I guess this is virtuably impossible.

Justin, do you have any plans of writing a review for "Judge" as well? I recently watched it again and would love to read a well written review for it.

Last edited by Swissman on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:53 am; edited 1 time in total
ANBUx3

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'd really like to see this. Random, oddball humor is right up my alley.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Truly manly men wear enough thong underwear such that if someone attempts to strip them naked by hitting off their thong underwear with a stick, they've got enough backup pairs on to form a twenty foot pile of thongs.

I for one really want to see this MD Geist AMV since there are no animation mistakes in that at all. No sir.
shadow_Hiei

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:15 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like one of those garbage anime that's just annoyingly random and not really funny at all, kinda like Bobobo and Excel Saga.
Mediaminer77

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:30 am Reply with quote
EDIT:

Teh Rules wrote:
10) Users may not request or link to bootlegs, fansubs, scanlations, active fan-translating groups, peer-to-peer networks, timed scripts, MP3s, unauthorized movie clips, or websites that house these groups or products. Links to and discussions about websites that provide authorized, legal downloads are permitted.

-TK
nicomorr

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:34 am Reply with quote
Although I'm a little worried that Buried Treasure is turning into an obscurity contest with itself ..... I've always liked the "School from Hell", scenario, perhaps because I went to one myself in the 50s - it was called a British Public School. God I'd love an anime set that comes with a pair of pink paper panties. Torrent is active & fast BTW.

Nico M
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:58 am Reply with quote
Mediaminer77 wrote:
Good fortune my friends.

Found some clips on You Tube, 1 laser disc for sale on eBay, 7 dubbed VHS on Amazon for $2, but even more amazing is a torrent that's over a year old with 1 seeder.

Don't post torrent links in the forum. The rules are very clear about this. Take it down before the mods take action.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2