• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Last Sailor Moon Crystal Episode Ends With 'À bientôt' Message, Toei Plans Announcements

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hoppy800

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Just announce some merchandise and be done with it or a spiritual successor.
Danette-Anime-Otaku

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:27 pm Reply with quote
zeo1fan wrote:
manapear wrote:

Same here, Emma.
I mean, Crystal was far from perfect, but so were the manga and Classic.
I loved it for what it was, and look forward to more.

I hope it isn't as far off as 2017. I was thinking it would closely follow S's musical, in terms of release. But I suppose we just have to wait and see.

Same. A number of people are insanely hyperbolic about Crystal. If a composition has even one flaw, Crystal haters hone in on it, and ignore everything else about the image. It's ridiculously unfair.

I agree with all of you, I enjoyed Crystal and would love to see the rest of the manga adapted. While it wasn't perfect must the haters ruin it for the rest of us?
KENZICHI

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:47 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
^ Agreed. If you can't do the series justice, stop while you're still ahead.

Ahead? Lolol.

Anyway, I hope this is the end. It's really been crap since the beginning and honestly it really hurts that such a beloved series gets this sort of treatment. So unless they get a new team that actually cares about quality good riddance to Crystal.
Marimai

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:11 pm Reply with quote
tbh I think they will continue, and aside from the bad animation sailor moon crystals problems are unfortunately the mangas problems. It really is just that, the manga is pretty terrible when you think about it, Naoko in every arc repeated the same type of scenarios and the classic series just forgot about the large chunk of what was bad and made sailor moon good. The art quality in the manga is far from perfect and I recall reading when Viz re-released it and the inner senshi really didn't do much. The anime is basically the confirmation that sailor moons manga really is a ''meh'' at the end of the day.
pcj

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching the classic anime on Hulu (for the first time - I never saw it back in the day) and Crystal side-by-side, and enjoying both. Seeing two different takes on the same story is kind of cool, and I really don't understand the haters. Especially with Crystal basically using the manga as a script. The haters should just get over themselves and admit that the manga sucked if that's how they see it.

I appreciate how much less of a crybaby Usagi is in Crystal. She got to be pretty annoying in the classic anime. It's one thing to have a crybaby personality but it was a bit extreme.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:16 pm Reply with quote
Surprise surprise. The faithful adaptation will apparently do the whole manga (some of the later side chapters will be skipped i guess) as the anime is an advertisement for it in the end and the manga shot up in the bestseller charts so the original intent was fulfilled. I proper advertisement campaign would have done the same job but the girls in my library like the anime and non-anime sites cover it too so well done Toei. The 90s anime is also pretty derailed on the web, has worse animation, misrepresented characters a lot, worked of unfinished manga scrips (to put it mildly) and is thus nearly unwatchable in retrospect. 18 volumes = 200 episodes. Of course!
Crystal at least put the manga i read and (mostly) liked on screen with a mediocre budget but most tv anime barely feature animation ether so i don´t care. On to the next 39 episodes and animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-04-10/toei-europe-2nd-sailor-moon-crystal-season-coming-this-summer/.86989 may have meant this announcement.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cetriya

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:09 pm Reply with quote
at first, wasn't so o much a fan of crystal because of the pacing.
I know its based off the manga, of which I could barely read???

I've warmed up to it and accepted as it is. My biggest grip is the same thing that happens to shows like like Outlaw star and stuff. Its the constant change of drawings/ quality. This last ep has Sailormoon/Queen's hair looking like tentacles yet spoiler[Pluto's death scene] had the nicest hair animation, movie quality. Then they have the senshis' transformation in 3D but that final attach against nemesis (the gold beam) should have been CG instead of that weird scratchy look.

basically, I just don't like the inconsistency. either make everything the quality of hair tentacles or movie quality.

I do hope they continue as these first 2 seasons weren't that different in how the story line ended. I want to see the later stories that were vastly different in the manga and the other senshis.

{Added spoiler tags. ~nobahn}
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:11 pm Reply with quote
I take it I'm the only one who thinks Crystal is teeerrrible -not just the animation, I could live with bad animation if the story was good- but the plot is super dumb and the characterization is to cry for, and yet still wants it to continue? I don't know, there's something very enjoyable in watching it suck so bad Laughing
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 6:25 pm Reply with quote
I'm hoping against hope that the Infinity arc gets animated.
overlordrae

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:44 pm Reply with quote
CrowLia wrote:
I take it I'm the only one who thinks Crystal is teeerrrible -not just the animation, I could live with bad animation if the story was good- but the plot is super dumb and the characterization is to cry for, and yet still wants it to continue? I don't know, there's something very enjoyable in watching it suck so bad Laughing

Oh no, you're not the only one. It's kind of turned me off to reading the manga. It certainly hasn't aged well
Razor/Edge

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I thought the BD sales were pretty bad.
ChronoBall X

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:57 pm Reply with quote
I hate to say this guys,as much as I love Sailor Moon Crystal, which I'm happy it's closer to the Manga compared to the Original Classic 1992 series,but this was one of the biggest dissapointments since the Anime version of Yumekui Merry, another good wasted potential series that suffered with Poor budget and writing.

I really wanted to like this series,I was trying so hard to like it but with the lack of any character development for Ami,Rei,Makoto and Minako,this series just felt rushed in every way,sure the Music score by Yasuharu Takanashi was unique and awsome and he's already become one of my fav Anime composers next to Arisawa Takanori,Shiro Sagisu and Keiichi Oku. Very Happy

but something just.......seems missing. Toei should have spent more effort and time on this,but my possability explanation for this seems to be because Toei spends more time these days with the Pretty Cure franchise, that means they're putting less effort into the New Sailor Moon series.

{Fixed your second set of bold tags. ~nobahn}
CandisWhite

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:09 pm Reply with quote
Crystal, to me, feels like a copy of a copy; Outside of the music, nothing about the show produces a lasting, or really desirable, impression. I have the manga well done already, and it's called the manga.

Unless Crystal goes through a Movie Buffy vs. TV Buffy overhaul, I won't be tuning in to any future episodes.
NateSelwyn25

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:03 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I adored S, please don't defile it. Just let it die. You did everything you could to kill it, don't prolong the suffering.

It wouldn't really be an adaption of "S" arc/season of the old anime, it would be an adaption of the "Infinity" arc of the manga, and they are drastically different. Only real things in common are having the same team of characters: 10 Senshi, the Witches 5, Professor Tomoe and Kaolinite.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:20 am Reply with quote
I can't wait to see just what is all the fussing is about. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3