• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The List - 7 Eras of Japanese History via Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trunkschan90

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Karate Master takes place during the Post-WWII era.
http://www.hulu.com/karate-master
Crossadder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen Otome Youkai Zakuro in a long time, but ain't it set in the Meji era? It even says so in the plot summary on the page linked in the list.
"In an alternate history of the Meiji era"

The tags on AniDB also states it as Bakumatsu Meiji era.

If something is said in the anime that makes the Taisho era claim true, then disregard what I have said.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:28 pm Reply with quote
Millennium Actress sort of runs through all of Japanese history (as seen through Japanese cinema) from about 1500 to ~2500. It's practically the godmother of this List. Very Happy

Shura no Toki runs from about 1610-30 and 1853-1868.

In spite of its supernatural trappings, Mirage of Blaze does a fair job of depicting the people and political machinations (~1550-61) surrounding the 4th battle of Kawanakajima.

I wish someone would do a serious, straightforward Sengoku anime. Setting aside all the Nobunaga spinoffs which clearly don't even come close, Samurai Deeper Kyou twisted the history into a pretzel (it had its reasons), Sengoku Basara was fun in its game-driven insanity, but anachronisms were its bread and butter, and Sengoku Musou sabotaged itself by chasing after Basara's flair without the fun and turning the Sanada brothers against each other while writing out their father altogether. As I understand it, though the brothers did fight on opposite sides, it was most likely part of their father's hedging strategy for getting the clan out the other side of the conflict as unscathed as possible. There are a lot of interesting and often tragic stories to be told there, and I don't know why no one in anime has done it in a serious way.
Mikeski

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
For the new poll, I voted for The μ's from Love Live. I find their singing to be beautifully fun. Smile

As invalidname said on the first page, though, an idol group is not a "band". No instruments. (Unless they do vocal instrumentation ala Pentatonix, perhaps.)

Though I guess Attack on Titan got 12% in the "zombie" poll, so what the heck.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Millennium Actress sort of runs through all of Japanese history (as seen through Japanese cinema) from about 1500 to ~2500. It's practically the godmother of this List. Very Happy

Hear. Hear.

Quote:
I wish someone would do a serious, straightforward Sengoku anime...

Hyouge Mono is, behind the lampooning facade, deadly serious. It's hardly straightforward, though. That, combined with its narrow target audience, means this magnificent series will never get an Anglophone region release. Such a shame.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch that when it came out, but the comedy (and I think the art style?) made me quit before the first episode finished, if I remember correctly. It was just too goofy for the mood I was in at the time I guess, and it wasn't what I was expecting. I dunno, maybe I should give it another try.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:05 pm Reply with quote
It's directed by Koichi Mashimo so you can expect it to be slow (though nowhere near his worst) and very, very, very po-faced, which means that it's difficult to "get" at times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyamanMS

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Dcast wrote:
Damn, that Pokemon list. It's just a nostalgia trip, isn't it? Did anyone actually look at the flaws and strengths of each film and decide which one was the best from that?

No? Mewtwo just makes everyone smile? Everyone's obsessed with orbs? ORBS?!

Okay, Entei was okay I guess, but having 1, 2 and 3 in the 1, 2 and 3 spots is kinda annoying.

If we're going by the Japanese version, I'd say the first three films are the best. Pokémon was always at its best with Takeshi Shudo writing the script. Of course, most people are probably voting off nostalgia for the 4Kids dub. (The Mewtwo Strikes Back dub is the worst thing 4Kids ever did to Pokémon other than Pokémon Chronicles.)
whiskeyii

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:27 pm Reply with quote
Cutiebunny wrote:
Hakuouki would have been a far better choice for the Meiji period than Kenshin. Because it's an animated version of Hijikata's route, the anime focuses on the setbacks faced by the Shinsengumi as they are gradually forced to retreat north.

I have to disagree with that. For me, though the Shinsengumi are famous and all, their defeat signals the coming of a new age, so I'd view Hakuoki as more of a "here comes the Meiji era" kind of story rather than Kenshin's "here *is* the Meiji era (and how do we deal with it?)"

That said, I've been hankering for some new, more historically-based anime to watch, so definitely gonna' comb the list and the comments for stuff to try out.
Nerroth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:38 pm Reply with quote
While the early-to-mid Sengoku era gets a lot of attention, there seem to be few, if any, Japanese series which look at the Azuchi-Momoyama period.

Not coincidentally, there seem to be plenty of dramas produced over in South Korea set during that period of time...

Similarly, I found it surprising how few, if any, series (animated or live-action) make any mention of the Mongol invasions of Japan - despite how critical a period this was in east Asian history.

Indeed, I recall how the original Shogun: Total War had an expansion covering the Mongol invasions, which even included a stand-alone battle set during the Imjin Waeran - but that Shogun II avoided revisiting either topic. In fairness, the alternate eras they did cover were of interest in their own right; but I wonder if the Creative Assembly's choices may have been influenced by their being owned by Sega at the time the second game was being made.

And while they may be less dramatic a series of events, I could think of other locations and settings which could be ripe for storytelling were a mind set to exploring them - be it the early Chinese and Korean presence at Hakata Bay (or the later Chinese and Dutch trade at Nagasaki), the Matsumae clan's interactions with the indigenous Ainu of Ezo (modern-day Hokkaido), or the lop-sided relationship carried out between the Satsuma Domain (and, by extension, the Edo shogunate) and the Ryukyu Kingdom.

But then, even if there were local or regional media outlets willing to commission such series, I imagine more than a few of those topics might run the risk of doing more harm than good if not handled quite properly...

Last edited by Nerroth on Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:43 pm; edited 2 times in total
Misopup

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:42 pm Reply with quote
"Zakuro" is an excellent choice for the Taisho Era.
Another would be "Taisho Baseball Girls", where it's not just social class roles being brought into question, but gender roles, too.
Even though it's Steampunk, "Sakura Wars" delivers the Taisho Era well, also.
yaki-udon

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:54 pm Reply with quote
Actually I'm more of a Townsend Harris fan than a Matthew C. Perry fan.
Covnam

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:08 pm Reply with quote
For the previous poll, I only saw the first two movies, but the first I can still remember the general plot, while I can't remember anything about the plot of second movie other than a Slowking. Plus the first movie has Mew, so that one would have gotten my vote. The second movie did have some good music though: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S--8tGsJtC8

There are lots of bands on that list I wouldn't mind seeing, but I voted for Detroit Metal City since I imagine there shows are quite something to behold.

Zakuro was great, I just wish there was another season (I think that would have covered the rest of the manga). Bought it as a blind buy and was very happy with the purchase.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:37 pm Reply with quote
whiskeyii wrote:
Cutiebunny wrote:
Hakuouki would have been a far better choice for the Meiji period than Kenshin. Because it's an animated version of Hijikata's route, the anime focuses on the setbacks faced by the Shinsengumi as they are gradually forced to retreat north.

I have to disagree with that. For me, though the Shinsengumi are famous and all, their defeat signals the coming of a new age, so I'd view Hakuoki as more of a "here comes the Meiji era" kind of story rather than Kenshin's "here *is* the Meiji era (and how do we deal with it?)"

That said, I've been hankering for some new, more historically-based anime to watch, so definitely gonna' comb the list and the comments for stuff to try out.

I agree completely, the Shinsengumi stood for the Tokugawa regime, they were trying to preserve the shogunate values. Their struggle is the struggle of the Edo period that resists change and tries to persevere but ultimately fails.

Kenshin takes place a few years after the Tokugawa stepped down from power and it's an incredibly insightful portrayal of the transition from one period to another, many of Kenshin's enemies are those who are still clinging to the past and you see many characters struggling to keep up with the times, especially those samurai that went from being at the top of the foodchain to losing their place in society and having to make a new life for themselves.

I really liked this list, I'm a history major and I specialize in Japanese History, so a lot of this series are on my to-watch list.

For the poll I voted for Girld DeMo, I love their songs both with Elisa and LiSA's vocals, and I had the chance to see LiSA live a couple of months ago, she's an amazing peformer and her voice is really powerful and beautiful.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Talk about obscure choices; there are only 48 of us who have rated Showa Monogatari. It was intended to reach an audience of older viewers who had grown up in the early 1960s and wanted a nostalgic view of a perhaps simpler life. I liked the little travelogues at the end of each episode.

I'll warn any prospective Hyouge Mono watchers to read a bit of history about the events at Honnouji Temple to see how the anime deviates from the historical canon. Otherwise it's a fascinating if slow moving political drama covering the period from the end of Oda Nobunaga's reign through the first half of Hideyoshi Hashiba's succession. I only wish that the OST had been released for this show so I could have purchased that in support for this effort. The 39-episode Japanese Blu-rays cost $1,000, far beyond what I can afford. I love the ED for this show, the Samba-flavored "Kizuna" by Saito Yuki: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc7PWQHYSSA. The first OP, "Bowl Man," was pretty good, but it was pulled after four weeks because one of the band members was arrested for marijuana possession. The two OPs after that were bland. Hyouge Mono also gave me a new appreciation for Bee Train, a studio that doesn't often get a lot of love.

Sadly both these shows are unlicensed and will almost certainly remain so.

I have to give a little shoutout for Oh! Edo Rocket, listed as an alternate for the Edo period. This is a zany and often hilarious sci-fi story set right after the institution of the Tenpou Reforms which banned public entertainments. The anime was adapted by Mizushima Seiji and Madhouse from a stage play by Nakashima Kazuki, the screenwriter for Kill la Kill and Gurren Lagann. The Tenpou Reforms may also have influenced Okada Mari and Kawamori Shoji as they developed the script for the idols-in-space show, AKB0048, which also concerns an entertainment ban.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6