• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Senki Zesshō Symphogear

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:22 pm Reply with quote
I've hear people complaining about Aoi Yuuki not singing very well, but it was on purpose. Hibiki was a very poor singer in season 1. She got much better in season 2. In the last episode of season 3, she went back to singing poorly when she was upset and not focusing on the battle. Also, it seems that the battle songs are recorded on the spot for each battle, and that's why the never sound exactly the same.
Saffire

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:41 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
I do not like the idea of having this series outside of Japan. If they keep the songs in Japanese, I'm fine with it, but it sounds weird if they speak in non-Japanese and then sing in Japanese.
Even assuming that this would ever get an English dub (which is pretty unlikely in itself), why wouldn't they just dub the songs? Would hardly be the first time.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:19 pm Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Another problem are the licenses for each song. Most if not all Nana Mizuki songs are protected from copyright, that's why most of her songs are not available on YouTube. Licensing every single song might cost too much. The worst case that could happen if the English voice actresses try to sing in Japanese, but that's never going to happen.

This has been a problem for older shows like Gundam Zeta and is one of the many reason Macross 7 is such a license hell. But most anime since 2000 tends to be produced in such a way that the music licenses are tied with the show and bundled. So it might not be as much an issue as you'd think.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Merxamers

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
This show sounds absolutely amazing; it's just been added to my 'To Watch' list!

Great review; it's hard for me to describe shows to other people that I love, but aren't "traditionally" good, but you do a great job of justifying it. You convinced ME to check it out, at least Smile
Kimiko_0

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Magical girls with the power of music? Sounds like my kind of anime Very Happy

This was already on my to-watch list, but this review just bumped it up quite a bit.

Pretty cool that a magical girl anime gets streamed with English subs. This genre too rarely makes it out of Japan/east-Asia.

But when will I get around to watching this? First there's Fushigiboshi No Futagohime, then Dokidoki and later Precure seasons, and Milky Holmes S2 onward, and Yuu×3, and Pleiades, and a few more I don't recall atm. Magical girl overload Anime hyper
Suncraft

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:45 pm Reply with quote
One of the most awesome experiences that just keeps raising the bar as it goes along. "How can they top that?" Might be asked again and again all the way from season one to the latest episode of season three. I still cannot image how they're going to top itself, and we're only half way through season three.

It has a huge following in Japan with some of the top pre-orders for this season, but the lack of legal streaming for the earlier seasons definitely stopped it from being talked about in an official sense. Still, it has had a large following in other parts of the internet since the start.

Definitely too bad it didn't get any notice here with no ep reviews of s3 etc. Thank you for reviewing season one and putting a spot light on this wonderful series.
Space☆Candy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Sounds like a fun show.I might have to check it out Smile
Nozomi Tojo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:41 pm Reply with quote
Yes i just finished season 1-2 and i was waiting for this Very Happy Favorite character is the cute little pet one Confused Surprised
Neko-sensei

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Yup, hit the nail on the head here. Symphogear's dialogue redefines "expository," swiftly reaching the point where one just has to assume that the writers are actually secret poets. (The most blissfully absurd line is from the most blissfully absurd episode thus far, the first of season three: "K2 is now only the third-highest mountain in the world!")
Tenebrae

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Voice of dissent!

I wached the first season... and managed somewhere halfway through. As the review admits, the plot is incoherent and clunky, drama is contrived and the characters are one-note and shallow. It is not a show that is so-bad-it-is good, it is a show that is so bad it is rather bad. If it was ridiculous in the manner TTGL and Code Geass managed to be ridiculous and over the top, it might be good, but it doesn't reach those heights.

Animation quality is mediocre throughout, even in many fight scenes. The singing felt mostly disconnected from the fighting, and it would have felt natural if the charcters had spoken something right over the background song.

Symphohear sinks into the gray goo of average shows, except for the point that it feels like it tries too hard. I hear that sequel seasons might be better, but I don't want to sit through bad stuff to get to good bits at the very end (which is how S2 of Shakugan no Shana played out) nor do I feel like rewarding a studio for making something mediocre.
kotomikun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:47 pm Reply with quote
Tenebrae wrote:
As the review admits, the plot is incoherent and clunky, drama is contrived and the characters are one-note and shallow. It is not a show that is so-bad-it-is good, it is a show that is so bad it is rather bad. If it was ridiculous in the manner TTGL and Code Geass managed to be ridiculous and over the top, it might be good, but it doesn't reach those heights.

If you don't like it, you don't like it. It's a fun and melodrama sort of show, so there aren't really any objective arguments for enjoying it or hating it. Personally, I felt like Gurren Lagann was so overloaded with exaggeration and bizarre nonsense and sheer stupidity that it was barely entertaining (it was my first anime and I barely even remember any specific plot points), and Code Geass never quite figured out what to do with itself amidst all the plotting and stakes-escalation so it randomly pulled a Watchmen-esque ending that didn't feel plausible.

To me, Symphogear is fun and ridiculous without becoming stupid (crazy things happen but they seem to fit the limited internal logic and aren't yanked out of nowhere) or impossible to follow, which is all that really matters for this type of show.
DLH112

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 8:09 pm Reply with quote
my favorite line has to be "I blocked the explosion with a martial arts technique", I <3 genjuro. Also, as if it wasn't obvious, the writer had only written RPGs before this. I think I also remember that there was supposed to be 5 gear users and a mascot animal thing, and a lot more stuff about the moon mythology. It was cut down to what it is because of the length mainly. I think less characters and the jrpg elements make it a... rather unique? show. it's made its way up to #5 on my top 5 anime.
AholePony

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 2:09 am Reply with quote
Been watching since season 1 and can't stop. It's not that good but it's plenty entertaining.

My favorite thing in this series is the extremely slow fade-in to the ending credits, the music blasting in after some revelation or cliff hanger gets me pumped for next weeks episode every time! Cool
MajinAkuma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 5:55 am Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Even assuming that this would ever get an English dub (which is pretty unlikely in itself), why wouldn't they just dub the songs? Would hardly be the first time.

I doubt that any English voice actress can compare with Nana Mizuki.
Yuukiwr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 7:28 am Reply with quote
MajinAkuma wrote:
Saffire wrote:

I doubt that any English voice actress can compare with Nana Mizuki.

C. Vee may can compare.

Back to the story. Yes it's somewhat of an mess but an well researched mess. Just compare the origin of the artefacts and be surprised how some nit bits that are seemingly unrelated are ties in with the myths.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3