• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Dance with Devils

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jelly Beans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:16 am Reply with quote
I never would have thought the show would have gone through with a death scene, much less Azuna's, who despite might have only befriended Ritsuka to protect the grimoire, actually does eventually see her as a true friend. If her proclamation to the Devil Trio before the dance was anything to go by. But it does its job at being the catalyst to the awakening of the grimoire, and for When Shit Finally Seriously Legit Hits The Fan.

However, I'm really not sure if this is worth the emotional distraught of losing your closest friend (despite their ulterior motives) poor Ritsuka is going to have to go through along with the chaos that's about to ensue. Her really emotional crying with a dead Azuna in her hands made even me emotional. This is probably going to do more bad than good for her and with the realisation that she too may be in love with Rem, a demon, I fully expect her to snap. And snap hard, in the next episode.
iamtooawesome

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:36 am Reply with quote
Episode 8: Cant believe the author missed out Azuna, I mean the best girl dies for all the sths I couldnt care less more bout what's happening between Rem and Ritsuka and what's to like about their constipated relationship? Dudes like has 1 line and every fangirl ships him hell he doesnt even talk I really dont get why people like him? I mean Mage is more affectionate if only Rem was drawn weirdly I doubt everyone would want his D.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:37 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I also like how even demons are no match for rabid fan-girls.

That was my second favourite part of the episode. Especially that each boy seemed to have a different type of fan-girl.

My favourite part of the episode was the of course mentioned unicorn and golden retriever. It is like Apollo transforming level.
sunflower

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:48 am Reply with quote
The dialogue during Azuna's death scene was spectacular. "Azuna! Azuna! Azuna! Azuna! Azuna! Azuna! Azuna! Azuna!"
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 8:06 am Reply with quote
Well, so much for me trying not to name Azuna as the dead character! Laughing Although since she's really Ritsuka's only "friend," that was a lost cause anyway...

After reading the posts, I tried to figure out why that scene really didn't do anything for me, and I think it's a combination of the stellar dialogue that Sunflower pointed out and the fact that I honestly didn't see their relationship as being that much of a true friendship. I never got the impression that Azuna liked Ritsuka for who she is, even in the beginning before we knew for certain that she was working for/with Lindo, and so her sacrifice was more "doing her job" than "saving her friend." It also felt to me like Ritsuka was still hanging around with Azuna out of habit and to shut her brother up rather than out of any pure friendship the two shared.

@Gina Szanboti
I watched that song twice through looking for hearts, because I really wanted them to be there - and alas, I only saw stars... And that golden retriever, which cracked me up, because the golden I grew up with was the least romantic dog on the planet. If Kara had been there with Rem and Ritsuka, she'd have been in the water, yipping in a glass-breaking pitch for someone to throw something before having to be carried out of the water because she'd otherwise stay there for all eternity.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 2:16 pm Reply with quote
So apparently unicorns are a girls best friend and Golden retrievers are a mans best friend.

.....I AM Sorry that Pomeranian chorus still has me on the floor in laughing fits.
I seriously want a plush Pomeranian that sings that song.

Also the fan girls were hilarious! Did anyone else notice that they tied shiki up into a little ball or that mages fan girls were mostly guys
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
Did anyone else notice that...mages fan girls were mostly guys

Ha! I missed that in the flurry of bodies.

See, this episode illustrates beautifully why I can't fault Lindo so much for trying to lock her up in the house. The second they're not looking at her, off she goes! They should've put one of those toddler harnesses on her. Even at the end, Azuna takes her eyes off her for just a moment and bam! Taken hostage! I do wonder why her pendant and magic ring didn't repel him though. They don't seem to work very consistently.
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:01 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

Also the fan girls were hilarious! Did anyone else notice that they tied shiki up into a little ball or that mages fan girls were mostly guys

I did not notice that, but I did think that Mage's fans *should* be guys, so it fits. I wonder what kind of girl a Shiki fangirl is...
CrowLia

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 5:08 pm Reply with quote
As ridiculous as the rainbow/unicorn/golden retriever combo was, it doesn't even come close to grazing the magnificence of the Pomeranian chorus. I wonder if anything ever will.

I was mildly disappointed that the other guys didn't get to dance with Ritsuka, especially Mage who's definitely become best boy in the show. I also expected to get a song from Azuna at some point, so definitely didn't see that final twist coming.

Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I want to get a spinoff series about Mage and his harem of fanboys
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 9:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad I hadn't gotten to episode 8 yet. Singing Pomeranians one episode and the death of the only decent character the next .... I'm sorry, but I'm out.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2015 5:27 pm Reply with quote
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:

I want to get a spinoff series about Mage and his harem of fanboys[/quote]
We just did it was called gangsta JK
but it seriously would be a yakuza movie pretty much
WashuTakahashi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:35 am Reply with quote
I'm kind of glad this otome anime is actually picking a final route for the heroine (though who knows if it'll play out happily-ever-after...my bets are towards something more bittersweet) I personally love Urie and would prefer him, but it's still refreshing to see an anime of this nature pick an actual ending.
zztop

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Dance with Devil's anime director recently gave an interview, where she says that since the anime is preceding its upcoming PSVita game version (March 2016), there's no pressure on them to give equal screentime to all suitor characters to satisfy the female fans.

So the anime story will focus on the Rem-Ritsuka-Lindo love triangle. For Mage/Shiki/Loewen/Urie lovers, you'll have to get the game.

Here's the full interview. Feel free to translate into English. https://akiba-souken.com/article/25416/
Agent355

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:54 am Reply with quote
I have some advice for Lindo...you got to have better timing. Your sister/cousin just learned that you're actually her cousin and a half-vampire. Right then is not the best time to tell her that you're attracted to her sexually. Just a thought. Maybe let her digest the news for a week or two, or even wait until after her sixteenth birthday before you try to liplock her. Seriously, dude, her bff just died and you're trying to kiss her. Just not the time.

Boy, was that fight song ridiculous, but it wasn't as amusing as singing pomeranians or rainbows, unicorns and golden retrievers.
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:12 am Reply with quote
zztop wrote:
Dance with Devil's anime director recently gave an interview, where she says that since the anime is preceding its upcoming PSVita game version (March 2016), there's no pressure on them to give equal screentime to all suitor characters to satisfy the female fans.

This entire show exists to satisfy the female fans. It's just that due to this decision they managed to be completely unsatisfying for female fans who are not into Rem.

Quote:
Rem and his gang have consistently explained things to Ritsuka rather than imprisoning her with no reasons offered

Wait... you mean:
Rem: "I have info about your mom, let's go!" *some time after* "lol no, I just wanted the grimoire."
Urie: "I have info about your mom! Let's just go right here to this weird carnival... lol, I was lying, I just wanted the grimoire. Also allow me to sexually harrass you."
Mage: "I'm not going to lie to you, I'll just abduct you. And fyi, the others have been lying to you, we're all devils."
Shiki: "I have info about your mom! ...lol I can't believe you fell for this again. Abduction time! I'll also sing a song laden with unsubtle imagery about how much I want to bone you."
Roen: "Oh hey, I see you haven't been abducted in a while. Gimme the grimoire. You'll die, of course, but who cares?"

Mage and Roen were the only ones who offered her any explanation at all, and both abducted her and Roen nearly killed her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8