• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oshii Calls Hollywood Film the 'Most Gorgeous Ghost in the Shell Yet'

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:50 pm Reply with quote
SHD wrote:
SAC which is overall tragically underrated in the west...

Really? You think Stand Alone Complex is underrated? Doesn't it get pretty much universal acclaim? Confused

anddo! wrote:
I don't care what Oshii has to say, he's not the creator of Ghost in the Shell. His testimony means nothing to anyone.

Masamune Shirow does almost exclusively hentai now. I think he's going to be fine with it. Oshii's approval has a little more luster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jdnation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:00 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:
I don't care what Oshii has to say, he's not the creator of Ghost in the Shell. His testimony means nothing to anyone.

As far as many are concerned Oshii' adaptation defined GITS and is also superior to the original manga.

In fact I personally prefer the manga least behind every other adaptation.

Shirow just does nothing but hentai now, even Pandora in the Crimson Shell is weird and uncomfortable imo. The man has ideas for sure, but I'd much rather Oshii or someone else filter them.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:08 am Reply with quote
12skippy21 wrote:
I have never seen a production team attempt to cater so hard to a fanbase. We know the controvesy regarding white washing and trying to satisfy the fans of the source material but almost every day we get a "It is good, look, look, we have the author saying so...oh you want more, you remember the original music, well here it is...look here are some behind the scenes stuff"!

Well, we had that sort of thing with Watchmen and Warcraft. Frankly, a franchise's fans are the hardest group to please, and it winds up as high-risk, high-reward: There's a very high chance you'll just tick them all off, but on the off chance you don't, you have a group who will sink lots of money into your work.

It's a much safer investment to aim for the mainstream and try to gain new fans in that way.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
anddo! wrote:

I feel similarly. I'm actually rather tired of hearing this guy defend this movie - it's the second time in a week. At this point he's sounding like an apologist. I want the film to speak for itself.
russ869

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:13 am Reply with quote
SENPAI-- wrote:
Remember James Cameron, and look how Terminator Genesis turned out.

I loved Terminator Genisys. Mostly because against all odds it managed to do something new and tell a story that was interesting in a franchise that had really been run into the ground storytelling-wise. It was weird and meta-textual (like the scenes where they reproduced scenes from the first film shot for shot for shot). Plus it managed to just flat-out ignore the existence of the terrible 3rd and 4th films.
anddo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
jdnation wrote:
As far as many are concerned Oshii' adaptation defined GITS and is also superior to the original manga.

Defined GitS insofar as completely defiling the original manga's potential legacy and ruining any chance of a proper adaptation? Sure. Also I'd like you to consider the order in which you picked up the series before boasting the movie's "superiority". You may have a biased approach.

jdnation wrote:
Shirow just does nothing but hentai now, even Pandora in the Crimson Shell is weird and uncomfortable imo. The man has ideas for sure, but I'd much rather Oshii or someone else filter them.

Shirow doing anything besides GitS is a complete non-sequitur to this debate, and your statement here seems to detract quite a bit from Shirow's talent? I'm assuming you've never read his serious works like Black Magic, Appleseed, Orion and Dominion. I highly recommend them.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Live-action Ghost in the Shell may look great visually, but how good is its adapted story?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
Live-action Ghost in the Shell may look great visually, but how good is its adapted story?

Well, it could very well be that Oshii is being diplomatic by emphasizing how good LOOKING the movie is. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:03 am Reply with quote
Kon'Doriano wrote:
Gemnist wrote:
Visually or as a movie? We want specifics, dude!

He sais gorgeous so it's safe to assume he mean't visually. Hooray, we're guaranteed to see lots of pretty colors in the film! Very Happy

come now. its pretty clear that mamoru is doing a massive PR stunt with these statements to calm down the nay sayers of the live action movie since the announcement of having scarlet to be the major has caused a massive crapstorm. dont be surprised that cause of the controversy that this movie will bomb. and very hard. probably even worse than samuel l jackson's take of the kite movie.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ochinchinsama69

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:46 am Reply with quote
If that's what Oshii thinks then he must have grown incredibly senile..very sad
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:52 pm Reply with quote
Ochinchinsama69 wrote:
If that's what Oshii thinks then he must have grown incredibly senile..very sad

Why's that? It definitely looks quite nice to me and to a lot of other people here.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:20 pm Reply with quote
So the old director has the right to an opinion until he praises the film. Rolling Eyes
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:07 am Reply with quote
OK, so the anime director gave his blessing, but what about Masamune-sama? The only justification I could see to this white-washing is the fact the Major switches bodies being a cyborg.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2