• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Pony Canyon USA Reveals Details for Kuromukuro Anime's Blu-ray Disc Release

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CooperRC

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 6:07 pm Reply with quote
thekingsdinner wrote:
I also don't like this trend of only having collector's editions.

I do not like to think about it, but as more and more people switch to streaming, the expensive collector's sets may eventually become the only option for physical versions. Just about everyone I know is dropping physical anime purchases and just watching streams now-a-days.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:56 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
@relyat08

Actually, for at least the last year, Amazon has been considerably less than Right Stuf for Sentai releases, even during their Studio Sales. As I said, I paid less than $90 for all of my Sentai CE's except for Dan Machi (which was just a few dollars over that on Amazon), and several were in the $60-70 range without a sale. So no, I would still be paying considerably more per episode for PC's releases, even with their new MSRP and lower store prices. Of course, the Sentai prices on Amazon, Deep Discount, B&N, and others seem to fluctuate more often than PC releases.

That's still 30 bucks less per set, or 60 for two cours. That $60 could buy me another collector's set on, possibly on sale, or a regular edition and movie. As I said, it's a move in the right direction, but it's still more than I'm willing to pay for what they give you. The Sentai and Funimation CE's can be easily found for less and have superior packaging. Some of Sentai's even offer the soundtracks, booklets, and manga volumes. Right now, I have Chivalry of a Failed Knight's Collector's Edition preordered at Amazon. It was about $160 when I placed my order, but has since dropped down to $97. That's $23 less than the lowest listing I've seen for Kuromukuro. For both releases, I would be spending $46 more than a comparable LE from Sentai, which could easily buy a regular edition Bluray with a few bucks left over.

I should've double checked Amazon, but oh well. I don't really shop for CE anime there anymore because whenever I did price check back in the day they tended to be significantly more than rightstuf, especially during pre-orders. I guess I didn't take into account the pre-order price guarantee thing either, which it sounds like works for anime.
But anyway, back to my point. Even so, the store price for the sets I listed is currently pretty close to that of Kuromukuro. What you paid for them when they were on sale, or when you were doing a good job of being financially responsible, wasn't really relevant to my point. If you bought either, one of the Sentai CEs I listed, or the Kuromukuro CE, on rightstuf right now, you'd be paying pretty close to the same. I didn't really intend for this to devolve as it did, but oh well. My point was about the hypocrisy of people looking at these prices and speaking as if they are aghast at the corporate tyranny of these demons who would dare suggest they pay such ridiculous prices for a show when a couple of US based companies have shows listed at prices on rightstuf at this very moment that are not all that far apart with a similar amount of content. There are certainly far better deals from Sentai and Funimation and everyone else for various shows and with various formats, but $240 for 26 episodes is not all that horrifying, really. And it's a significant drop over their past releases. Like literally HALF. Just trying to encourage what I see as a pretty good business decision. That's all.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 5:41 am Reply with quote
I think the pricing is a move in the right direction. However...is this a new trend for all their titles going forward or is this a result that Netflix IIRC payed for the dub (therefore making it cheaper for PC) and also that it came out later and does not have the benefit of initial streaming enthusiasm to charge higher prices?

I guess we will have to wait and see. I might add that my interest in the potentially new pricing model might be dampened if that slipcase is a paper box and not a chipboard one. AoA ticks me off when they do things like this and then label it an LE or something along those lines.

@relyat08
While I agree with some of what you are saying--a price model situated between companies like Funi/Sentai and higher priced AoA is the way to go (something I advocated when they first announced they were coming into the market)--I think you are relying too heavily on using RS as an example of pricing. RS prices fluctuate throughout the year (in the past they did so a lot) even when there are no sales. However, AoA and PC prices tend to stay consistent throughout the year. Yes, we've seen AoA go on sale during xmas (last year was one of the biggest considering how many titles were on sale), but its always been more about clearing out stuff and their titles usually are not on any other sales. PC its only been I believe this past xmas that several titles went on sale, because obviously they were not selling those big plastic cases at the initial prices and they seem to be adjusting their packaging and pricing models. So get rid of the old. The prices may seem comparable right now as a current snaphot, but in the larger scheme of things I don't think they are considering they've been consistently higher over time (plus normally they want to be premium seller and not do sales if they can). As far as bang for the buck, that is always subjective and hard to measure.

I understand you wanting to decry the "hypocrisy", but I also think part of the negativity is that PC has earned that response due to their past pricing and its not going to change overnight. I think that if they do show this is a new pricing model and maintain quality product (no paper boxes please) consistently then more people will be willing to cut them some slack. I personally hope this is a new model, and I'd be ok paying these prices if I liked the show enough. This show? No. It started off pretty good for me then descended into mediocrity, so wont buy if they even were to cut the price in half.
relyat08

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 12:36 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, you're right. Those are all good questions and things to keep in mind.
I'm especially interested to know if Netflix had anything to do with this release(outside of the obvious inclusion of the dub). I didn't think about that till my last comment, but it seems like a fairly good possibility. Also curious how their past releases with Sentai have done for them.
I'm tempted to get this release for a number of reasons, but just can't justify it for this show personally. Though, and I know many many people would disagree with me, I would readily pay $120 for The Lost Village in its entirety. Looking at it that way for me, $120 for a full one cour series like The Lost Village or Yuki Yuna is a pretty solid deal. I'll be curious to see what they do with that Yuki Yuna second season/prequel and what they do with Euphonium 2 now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3