• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph76

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Murph: I think if possible they can capitalize on the success of Fruits Basket and possibly bring the new series over here. Since it's brand new, its chances are a heck of a lot better than her older series. Publishers these days (anime and manga alike) look more towards the market of newer series, because that's what people have heard of and will be more interested in. Hoshi wa Utau can make it over here.

Yeah, I guess the bottom line is if they think it will sell, they'll bring it over.

Back to Shigure, Ayame and Hatori, I've always wondered, does the term "Mabudachi" mean anything? I understand its the name of their group, but I'm not sure if the word itself has any extra significance that doesn't carry over in English.

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:16 pm Reply with quote
I think it's a slang term. Or it could be rearranged with one slight change. "Tomodachi" means friend, "dachi" is a slang for friend, I don't what "mabu" exactly means. Sometimes people refer to their friends as "dachi" which I've heard before, if not called that myself.
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Well, it's early Saturday and I'm exhausted after working all week, so it must be time for a new Furuba topic. Very Happy

This week it's all about Kyo and Momiji.

They're spoiler[polar opposites in personality, and Momiji's energy and cheerfulness always irritates Kyo. But Momiji is probably the first to notice that Kyo's becoming nicer, that Tohru is softening him. On Kyo's end, he learns to tolerate Momiji while still complaining about him. In all, they're not really friends, not really enemies. They're family, and circumstances with the zodiac and Tohru force them to be together.]

As usual, I look forward to hearing your thoughts.

-Murph
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
Momiji probably gets on Kyo's nerves because Momiji very extroverted while Kyo's introverted. Momiji is very bouncy and doesn't always pay attention to things that he should not be doing spoiler[Hugging Tohru in public] while Kyo tries very hard not to do anything publicly wrong...and ends up getting angry because he thinks that he failed somehow.

But for all of his bounciness, Momiji can be very insightful, hence his story about the Traveler and he does notice things. And he is like Kyo in that he spoiler[wants to protect the ones that he loves: His mother and Momo.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Momiji and Kyo, an interesting pairing. Both share some of the traits: spoiler[Both were rejected by a parent, and both fell for Tohru.] Over time it was a good read to see the change in the relationship between the two, because they both found out things about each other as time went by. Indeed, spoiler[Kyo did not get mad at Momiji so much, and Momiji started talking to Kyo about things that were to become pretty important within the storyline. ]

And as spoiler[Momiji also grew, his standing towards Tohru was starting to get on the same line as Kyo.] In fact BIG SPOILERspoiler[ when he was released from the curse he in a way gave a challenge to Kyo, that he would go after Tohru, even though he said he was kidding. That was where Momiji had grown up. He felt for Tohru as well.]
murph76

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 6:14 pm Reply with quote
Kyo and Momiji have some of the funnier interactions in the series. Momiji spoiler[uses his youthful appearance to his advantage, even though he's probably one of the most mature characters in the series. I always enjoy it when he provokes a reaction from Kyo, cries and then turns it off in a blink when someone comes to comfort him. ]

-Murph
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Before spoiler[things started getting serious Momiji would poke fun at Kyo, or tease him about liking Tohru. For example, the first time Momiji came to school. And then Momiji took the exact moment he distracted Kyo to hug Tohru. I think he was probably ready to strangle him] Laughing
Ningensei

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Yes, as fighterholic points out, it seems that spoiler[Momiji was able to sense Kyo's feelings fairly early on in the series. I think he was almost the first person to notice it, probably even before Kyo fully realized his feelings for Tohru. And yes, their interactions are usually pretty hilarious, especially when Momiji is teasing Kyo about Tohru. Like wanting to take a bath with her, etc. Very Happy Kyo's reactions are always so priceless. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:32 am Reply with quote
I sometimes wonder, who was the more mature? spoiler[At times Kyo would be caught up in his guilt of what happened to his mother, what happened between him and Kyoko, and his fear of hurting Tohru. Momiji was rejected at such a young age, to have his mother never look at him or even as much acknowlegde him to the point that she had no regrets of erasing him from her mind. From then he had to live with the secret of never being with his mother or even sharing the brotherly love he felt for his sister.]
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:21 pm Reply with quote
Takaya once stated herself that she believed Momiji was the most mature and at-peace of all the Zodiac members. He's one of my personal faves, right up there with Hatori and Shigure.

SPOILER FOR THOSE READING IN ENGLISH:
Oddly enough, when the spoiler[curse breaks, he gets one of the worst deals of the Zodiac members. He has no family to return to, and now that he's big and can be taken seriously enough by Tohru to express his feelings like a man, he has to let her go to Kyo. I like how he and Kyo never REALLY tell each other that they're in love with the same girl until Momiji mentions that he'll be waiting in the wings for her should Kyo ever not treat her right. Razz They have a playful rivalry as cousins, but they're able to communicate on a serious level as time goes on.]

Last edited by JacobC on Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:30 am Reply with quote
Hopefully *CERTAIN IMPORTANT SPOILERS*spoiler[Momiji can find somebody someday, though there are possibilities for who he could end up with, since there were some single people at the end of the series, though I can't remember who.]

Last edited by fighterholic on Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ningensei

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:04 pm Reply with quote
@JesuOtaku, sorry to nitpick, but could you label your spoilers if you are going to mention something that is from the later volumes that haven't been released in English yet? Something like "BIG SPOILER" or "spoiler for English readers" or something like that. Becaue I accidentally read your spoiler since I couldn't tell that you were going to talk about something from the end of the series. Luckily, it wasn't anything major, so it's okay.

Thanks so much! I don't want to come off as rude or anything, I hope, it's just a request. Razz
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:59 pm Reply with quote
You sound like my Japanese friends! Very Happy It's a message board. There's a whole 'nother criterion for "rude." Wink

Yeah, I'll fix it. Sorry.
fighterholic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:18 pm Reply with quote
Ningensei wrote:
Thanks so much! I don't want to come off as rude or anything, I hope, it's just a request. Razz

I went ahead and did mine too. Funny how some of us aren't able to tell when there are certain things we know about that haven't been divulged yet to our fellow fans.
murph76

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 8:48 pm Reply with quote
I think it's obvious that Tohru sees Momiji as spoiler[a kid brother, even after she finds out his true age. I think Momiji takes advantage of that to cozy up to Tohru and to get a reaction out of Kyo. But, eventually it becomes so commonplace Kyo isn't phased by it. It's always fun to watch Tohru and Momiji holding hands a school, and watch Kyo's "yeah, whatever" reaction.] Very Happy

-Murph
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 109 of 170