• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fruits Basket (see 2nd post for thread info)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suna_suna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quote
thank you Aya Smile

even in a series that hasn't deeply inserted itself into my mind, i think that i will always be curios about the realm outside of the series. sure, i could always read...ugh fanfics but then it will feel dirty.

EDIT: 130th page. that's awesome
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:04 pm Reply with quote
suna_suna wrote:
thank you Aya Smile

even in a series that hasn't deeply inserted itself into my mind, i think that i will always be curios about the realm outside of the series. sure, i could always read...ugh fanfics but then it will feel dirty.

EDIT: 130th page. that's awesome

130 pages does mean that we have come a long way. Although there's quite a few things that go on outside the realm of Fruits Basket in our world, such as FB doujinshi. A lot of what I've been finding on Ebay has been, "interesting."
aya_honda

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Still, what we were able to see was met with some appraisal, and it never lets up in the way that we read the series. I think we're getting towards the end of the week, I wonder who we will be talking about next!

That's true. Well, here it's already friday and I have a lot to do around the house because we have some celebrations to do, but still I will be around and most curious to see what murph prepares for us. Wink

Well, I too have found some "interesting" material outside the main framework of Fruits Basket but nonetheless connected to it. Shocked I don't think I want to see that stuff again.

Wow! 130 pages make me fill dizzy! Anime dazed
murph76

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Well, this week we're moving from one unrequited love to another -- albeit this one is a tad more violent -- Kagura and Kyo.

spoiler[Kagura makes me laugh very hard, especially when she's drawn like some serial killer while chasing Kyo. Her scenes in the first few volumes are priceless. She may have once thought she could bully Kyo into loving her, but she sees the changes in him brought on by Tohru and realizes where his feelings are directed. Kyo does his best to escape Kagura without injury and wants nothing to do with her.]

I look forward to your posts!

-Murph
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:38 am Reply with quote
in the Neko book, Kagura's spoiler[love is called "A Forced Love, but an Honest one". in volume 12, we are given Kyo and Kagura's history together. Kagura first approached Kyo because he was the cat, and she tool solace in the fact that she was better than him because of it. so, She than decided to continue to be around him so that she could always see herself in a better light. than she took his beads of, and he went all true form on her, so she ran away. she then realized that she was only being nice to him because of her own evil intentions, and she hated herself for running away.

as time went on, she started to "love" Kyo to say to herself that she was above all that, that she could really love him for who he was. but, Kyo would always see her as more of a bug sister, even when he was annoyed by her violent expressions of love. and he tells her straight up, that he will never "like" her.

it is when she hears the little boy say "Wait up, nee-san!" that she realizes that she really does love him, perhaps because she was around him so much. and Kyo apologizes.]
phew, long spoilerspoiler[Kagura loves the Kyo that she first met while he was drawing on the ground. that is her Kyo. ]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
The first time we got to meet Kagura simply destroyed what thoughts we may have had about her when we saw her one moment, and then the next. I think Tohru was thinking the same thing Laughing It was obvious how at times spoiler[the spirit that is possessing them can also make for their personalities. ]That we definetly saw in Kagura. And the comedic elements never failed to disappoint either!
LydiaDianne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 1:12 am Reply with quote
When we first meet Kagura spoiler[she comes across as shy and sweet but then WHAMMO! she becomes utterly violent and beating the crap out of Kyo. But, as the series goes on, she slowly changes.

I think that is because of two reasons: 1) she gets over her guilt over Kyo and 2) the Curse is fraying and while it isn't broken, I think that it no longer forces her into a mold.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:15 am Reply with quote
I liked Kagura from the beginning for her very free spirit (that being an understatement Very Happy) She is a strong girl and the fact that she is the boar in the zodiac definetly gives some hints over her personality. spoiler[I remember that once Kyo explained to Tohru why the animals are drawn to them, referring to the animals from the same sign. But he said that sometimes that's not funny because once they were walking to the mountains and they were surrounded by wild boars. Very Happy That episode I would have liked to see. ]

Strangely enough somehow Kagura was related to Kyo simply from spoiler[pity, as you guys already mentioned. I loved the fact that she said that a kid that draws fried eggs as a game is definetly lonlier than anybody she has known and perhaps she was drawn to him from this priviledged position on which she stood. Not only as a zodiac but also as someone that is loved by her family. Because Kagura seems to be one of the lucky zodiacs whose family has accepted her and loved her. Though that pity grows later into a true love. ]

I definetly like the episodes in which she appears and does all those crazy things like spoiler[breaking doors and make Shigure cry for the spoiled money, beating Kyo and forcing him to do things that he doesn't want like holding her hand, going to shopping etc etc ]She is one of the interesting characters in the manga, that knows a true development.

On the other hand I think that Kyo later in the manga realizes how spoiler[important Kagura was for him because she made him feel accepted and although it might have been annoying for him at the same time it was something that he needed. Kagura gave him the attention that later is offered by Tohru but at a whole different level. ]
suna_suna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
i mention sometime ago that spoiler[if it ever gets as far as Kyo being Taken away, Tohru and Kazuma would be fighting it. but i also think that Kagura would be fighting it as well. even though that's contradictory to what Shigure said about the relationships between the Juunishi and the Nekotsuki. she really does love Kyo, but he cannot return those feelings.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:10 am Reply with quote
Kazuma definetly, and Tohru spoiler[would have found some way to try and protest about Kyo getting put into the Nekotsuki. Kagura, I don't know how she would have responded. I think though for her, in the fact that she felt guilty for befriending him only because she felt pity for him and considered herself above him socially, still found a connection to him that in the end was platonic. But I guess for her she was able to come to somewhat of a peace since he did forgive her.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:28 am Reply with quote
I also think that if it came to that, Kagura would have definetly spoiler[ fight for Kyo, especially because in spite of the fact that her love is not returned she is still able to seek the good for Kyo. In a way I always thought that it was Kagura who made Tohru think about her feelings for Kyo and she was the one that told her back then that if she feels like Kyo is the one that she loves then she would definetly say that to the person that matters the most to her. She hit her big time, but then again she was right. Rolling Eyes Laughing ]

I think that in way Kagura felt sorry for the fact that back in volume 6 when Kyo spoiler[transforms himself, Kazuma actually hoped that it would be Tohru who would bring Kyo back and not her, especially because she has seen his real nature and her feelings have been definetly more sincere. But after that episode we don't get to see much of Kagura as it used to be. She takes the shadow of the unrequired love and we don't get much scenes with her, hunting down for Kyo. ] Which definetly has been a shame! Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 2:46 pm Reply with quote
Yes. When Kagura spoiler[took off his beads and saw him for what he truly was, she in turn released her true feelings in seeing him. For that Kyo got in trouble and she was not able to see him much anymore after that. But then when he did come out, she wanted to get rid of her guilt.] But to no avail, those feelings about what happened were still there.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:46 pm Reply with quote
You know, I'm one of the few people I know who likes Kagura. I think in general, she's just not a very well-loved character, and people hate her for hurting Kyo, but I can understand letting your emotions and stubbornness combine with damaging results.

I think it's also admirable that as much as Kagura torments Kyo (unwittingly) spoiler[he's tolerant of it, and doesn't hit back or tell her he never wants to see her again or something, which is impressive with his rancid temper. After all, he's both hit and told off Tohru in one very famous scene...

One of my favorite little episodes in the whole series is where Kyo treats Kagura with kindness, having finally grown to a maturity where he can see her feelings for what they really are and still be at peace with it. He's able to care about her because all along she really cared about him, even if it wasn't the kind of love Kagura thought it was, and never really will be. I hope she finds someone for her someday...Momiji maybe? The world may never know.]
fighterholic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I think it's amazing about Kagura, because even all while spoiler[she was growing up, she still was loved by her parents, even though it was difficult for them as well. For the end of it, indeed Kyo had grown up, but I think Kagura realized that it wasn't her doing to help him become the way he was.]
aya_honda

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
You know, I'm one of the few people I know who likes Kagura. I think in general, she's just not a very well-loved character, and people hate her for hurting Kyo, but I can understand letting your emotions and stubbornness combine with damaging results.

Ok, let's just admit that sometimes Kyo just deserved to be hit! Laughing I felt sometimes that I would have liked to shake that boy to the reality (and it's not like I don't love Kyo's character - he's my favourite). But then again, like you said spoiler[it's admirable that he never reacted back (well, he must be a gentleman with the ladies Wink ) but I think that in a way he has always been grateful that she has been there for him in childhood when no one seemed to like him. I remember a scene when Yuki watches them going to school and there's Kyo and Haru and along comes Kagura that hugs Kyo. Perhaps she might have been the cathalyst to other people's attention towards Kyo.]

Therefore he might have been kind to her also because she was there spoiler[when he was lonely and therefore he had to thank her. What I regret is the fact that Kyo never gets to find out that Kagura loved him even though she knew his true form. If I remember correctly she never gets the chance to tell Kyo that she knew how he looked like withtout the bracelette. ]

What is interesting is the fact that Kagura has everything that Kyo hasn't, which is as fighterholic mentioned before spoiler[parental love. Kagura is one of the lucky zodiacs which has a loving family and they are also the ones that take in Isuzu when she no longer has somewhere to stay. Which I guess says a lot about her family, in a very pozitive way. ]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 130 of 170