• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion (TV) - dub.

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freezespell

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:43 am Reply with quote
I saw this episode and I have a few things to say about it:

1. I absolutely HATE the new opening theme song! When I first heard that god-awful voice, the first thing that came to my mind was, "Oh, God, that's the girl who sang that shitty Blood+ OP!" There are times when we're better off not listening to the original song. Oh well, at least that didn't set the tone for the episode or, hopefully, the rest of this season.

2. The episode itself was pretty good but, unlike some that might post after me, I still fully support Zero and the Black Knights because even though they're branded as supposed "terrorists", they're actually fighting for the right cause against Cornelia and the Japan Liberation Front, who are the real terrorists at work in Area 11.

3. I really think that Suzaku and Euphie would make a great couple even though it really hasn't been hinted at in the series so far. Of course, Cornelia would probably not approve of her little sister dating an Eleven but hopefully she won't be alive to discover that they're an item if they do get together.

Did I mention that the new opening theme SUCKS?

EDIT: Yay! Spoiler-free! Very Happy
Richard J.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
As for the more important parts of the episode, I find it interesting that Zero is now just blatantly using C2 like he did. I guess I figure she is kind of a trump card, but the more he exposes her, the more people are going to put two and two together. I was also unclear whether it was him or C2 that was controling the nightmares at the Kyoto group headquarters. Maybe someone can clear that up for me.
I know it's been a while since you posted this Dargonxtc but I felt compelled to respond to it for a few reasons. (Also remember I've never seen this show before so it's all new and relatively spoiler-free to me. Heck I haven't even wanted to read this thread regularly since some are watching the episodes on [adult swim]'s website, which hates me for some reason.)

First, as the latest episode shows and as her actions against Suzaku clearly showed, C2 is both Lulu's mentor, enabler, and willing ally. Plus she's kind of unkillable based on the first episode having her head blown off and her memories seeming to indicate that she's quite a bit older than she looks. She's Lulu's partner rather than a pawn. (Kallen and the Black Knights might perhaps be mere pawns though I don't think he seems them that way. . . yet.)

Even if she is being exposed, it's not like Lulu's enemies know enough to comprehend her importance. It's clear that only a select few in the Britanian military know anything about her and they are so cloak and dagger they likely won't move for some time. Currently, she's linked to Zero, not Lulu the school boy. Shirley at this point is far more of a problem.

The second thing I wanted to bring up is a similar point to freezespell's mention of support for Zero's actions. Lulu's first use of Geass was brutal but at the same time it's unlikely he really expected that reaction. In a way, it was a test of the power. Killing Clovis wasn't exactly something he gloated over later either. Causing the deaths of innocent people like Shirley's father clearly has not sat well with him. Before C2 started pointing out that this was all a logical result of his crusade against his father, he seemed on the verge of abandoning the whole scheme.

He killed the JLF for two reasons: First, they were terrorists or at last more inclined toward terrorism, not guerillas. The line of difference is thin but I think important. Zero and the Black Knights didn't intend to kill innocent people in the last action (Lulu even stated in episode that the result was more destructive than he'd anticipated) but it happened. The JLF on the other hand has shown a willingness to do just that.

The second reason is a pragmatic one. The JLF was a threat to the Black Knights survival as an organization. They were one of the strongest, if not the strongest, group fighting against Britanian rule before the Black Knights. They also indulged in direct terrorism and expoused a Japanese-first mentality which while understandable made it extremely unlikely they could gain support from Britanian sympathizers. By removing them from the field of battle, Zero can fight without concern for salvaging less-clever allies (possibly preventing an incident like the one at Narita) and allows him to set the tone of the rebellion, casting it as a struggle not merely for Japanese indepence but one of equality.

I think the last few episodes should have completely dispelled the Zero/Light comparisons. They make no logical sense given his emotional reactions. Light could mercilessly kill even completely innocent people. Do you think Light would have hesitated to shoot at Suzaku just because Shirley was there? Do you think Suzaku would even be alive right now if Lulu was like Light? (Light would have Geassed him to write a letter about hating Britania and being angry about being accused of murdering Clovis and then had him assassinate Cornelia first chance he got.)
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:12 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
(Also remember I've never seen this show before so it's all new and relatively spoiler-free to me.

Same here.

Quote:
Plus she's kind of unkillable based on the first episode having her head blown off and her memories seeming to indicate that she's quite a bit older than she looks. She's Lulu's partner rather than a pawn. (Kallen and the Black Knights might perhaps be mere pawns though I don't think he seems them that way. . . yet.)

I know you have seen more anime and movies than that Richard. Wink The moment someone thinks they are unkillable is the beginning of their downfall.

Plus how long did it take her to recover from that gunshot wound. I wonder what a missile, or a nightmare blade would do. True she has shown power over such things, but unexpected accidents do happen.

As far as the partner stuff goes, maybe the mechanics of the relationship are more towards a partnership. But the fact remains that she is the key to a whole bunch of locks. And to me it seems more of bad planning more than anything to use her like he sometimes does. Whether one thinks her invincible or not, if some thing does happen to her, Lulu's journey down the rabbit hole ends rather quickly. Even she has moments where she says stuff like, "I can't believe I am doing this."

Quote:
Even if she is being exposed, it's not like Lulu's enemies know enough to comprehend her importance. It's clear that only a select few in the Britanian military know anything about her and they are so cloak and dagger they likely won't move for some time. Currently, she's linked to Zero, not Lulu the school boy. Shirley at this point is far more of a problem.

True, but it's the cloak and dagger stuff that you never see coming.

Quote:
He killed the JLF for two reasons: First, they were terrorists or at last more inclined toward terrorism, not guerillas. The line of difference is thin but I think important. Zero and the Black Knights didn't intend to kill innocent people in the last action (Lulu even stated in episode that the result was more destructive than he'd anticipated) but it happened. The JLF on the other hand has shown a willingness to do just that.

The second reason is a pragmatic one. The JLF was a threat to the Black Knights survival as an organization. They were one of the strongest, if not the strongest, group fighting against Britanian rule before the Black Knights. They also indulged in direct terrorism and expoused a Japanese-first mentality which while understandable made it extremely unlikely they could gain support from Britanian sympathizers. By removing them from the field of battle, Zero can fight without concern for salvaging less-clever allies (possibly preventing an incident like the one at Narita) and allows him to set the tone of the rebellion, casting it as a struggle not merely for Japanese indepence but one of equality.

I see what you are saying and all, but they were people fighting for their (very much righteous) freedom in the only way they knew how. Heck the only way they could probably. They were up against immeasurable odds. Even though theirs and Zero's views were parting, they were also in a way very much similar. And depending how you look at it, the JLF saved Zero's ass at the mountain.

But what do they get? Thrown under the bus. Their thirst for freedom wasn't good enough for Zero. So he killed them in the name of publicity despite their common enemy. That is more in line with what a politician would do rather than a soldier waging war and liberating a country.

---------------------------------------

Oh and for the record I have never compared Light and Zero. They are pretty much incomparable, except one is evil and the other is a bastard.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:15 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, Light never shows remorse for his actions, he's a true sociopath, incapable of such feelings. Zero clearly has remorse, but is able to supress it when he needs to, because he is a driven person that values results over cost. He is a bit dickish though.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:59 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I know you have seen more anime and movies than that Richard. Wink The moment someone thinks they are unkillable is the beginning of their downfall.
Indeed that trope is quite pervasive. Still, I think C2 might be perhaps correct in her belief.

I think her comments about her actions have more to do with surprise at her own desire to act rather than concern that what she was doing was dangerous. I get the impression she hasn't exactly been treated well by people in the past that she's given powers to.

Dargonxtc wrote:
True, but it's the cloak and dagger stuff that you never see coming.
That's true but they, at least currently, don't seem to be doing anything. (Well, they might be the ones who found Jeremiah, so perhaps they are experimenting on him since he's been listed as KIA.)

Dargonxtc wrote:
I see what you are saying and all, but they were people fighting for their (very much righteous) freedom in the only way they knew how. Heck the only way they could probably. They were up against immeasurable odds. Even though theirs and Zero's views were parting, they were also in a way very much similar. And depending how you look at it, the JLF saved Zero's ass at the mountain.

But what do they get? Thrown under the bus. Their thirst for freedom wasn't good enough for Zero. So he killed them in the name of publicity despite their common enemy. That is more in line with what a politician would do rather than a soldier waging war and liberating a country.
You're not wrong exactly but the politics must be considered. Zero isn't just trying to liberate one nation. He wants to destroy Britania (or at least his father's legacy) so that requires far more political maneuvering.

Also, while the JLF certainly were in a desperate position, their actions were clearly leading to their inevitable demise. While the intervention of their "swords" at Narita helped Zero, without him that battle would have been lost regardless. They were doomed the moment Cornelia arrived. (She's a brutal strategist with the straight forward slugging of Sherman and the finesse of Lee by all evidence and a formidable Nightmare pilot to boot.)

Currently, I think Lulu's strategy is sound. We'll see how it turns out.

Dargonxtc wrote:
Oh and for the record I have never compared Light and Zero. They are pretty much incomparable, except one is evil and the other is a bastard.
I was trying to address that debate separately, sorry if I didn't make that clearer.
abominaSion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:30 pm Reply with quote
After the opening(which I like) and before the episode title. There were 10 seconds of dialoge. that I could not connect to the series.

"[inaudible human sounds] It's the buzz of mighty angel wings decending from heaven,[male voice] Tammy it's actually a sworm of hungry..."

Considering that every other episode leaves less than a second. Is this an Adult Swim Thing?.

Every other post has a different bg color, causing my avatar to not mach,dammit.
BladeDragoonZETA

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:22 pm Reply with quote
abominaSion wrote:
After the opening(which I like) and before the episode title. There were 10 seconds of dialoge. that I could not connect to the series.

"[inaudible human sounds] It's the buzz of mighty angel wings decending from heaven,[male voice] Tammy it's actually a sworm of hungry..."

Considering that every other episode leaves less than a second. Is this an Adult Swim Thing?.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's it (it wasn't on The streaming version
Zivil

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
abominaSion wrote:

It almost seemed like one of their April Fools' Day pranks... or some attempt at advertising Fat Guy Stuck in the Internet or Saul of the Mole Men (I kept wondering who the heck Tammy was)... or some of CN's infamous fun-poking at the anime geeks.
I ran it through several times before cutting it out trying to determine if there was any relevance to the Code Geass episode. Other than the obvious dialog mismatch, the sound "brightness" was off also.
Kelly

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
A little late because I've just come back from vacation, but my reaction to these last two episodes is that they're a good example of why vigilanteism sounds good on paper but usually doesn't work out. As spoiler[the gruesome fate of Shirley's dad] demonstrates, sooner or later innocent people get caught in the crossfire. I do believe that Lelouch has a conscience, and he's going to have to live with the weight of that for the rest of his life.
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I agree with freezespell in that I strongly dislike the new opening. Not only do I not like the song, but it didn't seem to mesh very well with the images. But the insert song and the new ending song made up for it.

I think that the part where [as] added some random dialogue was funny, and at least [as] didn't do it during the actual episode.

And with the recent events, I have to say that I like Lulu better than Light. He's more like a person with emotions than a cold-blooded killer. Though, I don't agree with some of his decisions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
abominaSion

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:53 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
I think that the part where [as] added some random dialogue was funny, and at least [as] didn't do it during the actual episode.

Maybe it was funny, I just hope this doesn't become frequent.
Josh7289

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:20 pm Reply with quote
Wait, what, huh? Adult Swim messed with episode 13? Hmmm...Good thing I watched it on adultswim.com then, because I don't remember hearing anything unusual.

And as for episode 14, spoiler[Lelouch, you moron! Trying to protect her by wiping out all her memories of you (and I guess also how her dad died)?! People aren't that weak! She could make it through, especially since she has you now! Gaaaah....]
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, haven't been following much with this thread at all lately, and in fact I was going to originally post my comments earlier this week, but I've been busy worrying about other anime/manga related things. Anime smile + sweatdrop

But yeah, with the coming of these last couple of episodes I have to say the series has really kicked it into high gear. I think it just added a level of dramatic tension the series seemed to not quite be on before. In fact now I'm finding myself looking that much more forward to each new episode because of it, it's gotten so intense.

So our protagonist finds himself in a conflicted situation. In a whole lot of ways I have to say this kind of reminds me of Spiderman, with Harry Ozbourne wanting revenge on Spiderman yet feeling more close to Peter Parker than ever. I'm definitely interested in seeing where Shirley goes from here now that she knows who Zero is.

I'd say you could even put in here the whole Spiderman saying of "With great power comes great responsibility." I think Lelouch is justified in his actions, I just think he needs to take a lot more responsibility for his actions and take the consequences more into consideration, and not be so blinded by his rage. And he's beginning to learn that more than ever right now. I'm also interested in what will happen with him in future episodes. Whether he continues to let his rage consume him to the point where he'll do any horrifying deed for his ambitions, a la Light in Death Note, or if he learns from his mistakes and proceeds with a more rational approach.

As for the 2nd OP, WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE!!!? Shocked Nah I know, it's just a simple matter of musical tastes, Anime smile + sweatdrop but I just think this OP is awesome. Cool I also loved the one that same artist did for Blood + as well, although I think I like this song better. Whatever the case though, I really think Jinn is going to become one of my favorite J-artists, that's for sure. Cool
Zivil

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
I think Lelouch is justified in his actions, I just think he needs to take a lot more responsibility for his actions and take the consequences more into consideration, and not be so blinded by his rage. And he's beginning to learn that more than ever right now. I'm also interested in what will happen with him in future episodes. Whether he continues to let his rage consume him to the point where he'll do any horrifying deed for his ambitions, a la Light in Death Note, or if he learns from his mistakes and proceeds with a more rational approach.

Just remember that his goals are not necessarily the same as the rebels'. Lelouch aims for the downfall of the Empire, or at least the imperial line. He has more of an enemy of my enemy mentality than any real purpose of justice for its own sake or independence for Japan.

I believe his true goals are completely driven by his rage, but he does still feel horrified at the damage caused by his actions to innocent bystanders.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Zivil wrote:
Just remember that his goals are not necessarily the same as the rebels'. Lelouch aims for the downfall of the Empire, or at least the imperial line. He has more of an enemy of my enemy mentality than any real purpose of justice for its own sake or independence for Japan.

Yeah, that's kind of what I was getting at actually. That's why I say he's driven by rage as much as he is, because the fact that he hadn't taken into consideration what the consequences of his actions would be I think kind of prooves to us that he's moreso just out for revenge than he is to actually bring justice to anyone. But then again I also think him fighting for justice isn't entirely outside of his goals. Also remember that he's also fighting to create a world he wants Nunally to live a peaceful life in, with her has his motivation for it.

Quote:
I believe his true goals are completely driven by his rage, but he does still feel horrified at the damage caused by his actions to innocent bystanders.

This is actually why I think he has an opportunity to develop in the latter manner that I described, because I know he has enough of a good heart to learn from this and be more rational about his actions. I don't think he's going to let this go at all, because like I say, I believe him to be just in his actions, he just needs to be doing them for the right reasons is all. It's just all a matter of whether it's all about determination for justice or if it's obsession with and stubbornness towards revenge that's the stronger motivation.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 60