• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANN Book Club: Texhnolyze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HellKorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Haven't re-watched the first two episodes yet. Will do so tonight, and comment with more in-depth points tomorrow.

I'll also make an extensive post detailing the five factions of Lux and its characters when I receive my computer back in the next few days.

JesuOtaku wrote:
Well, I don't know about everyone else, but that interview told me to expect a lot of style and not much depth, actually.

It's been a while since I watched it, but ABe and Ueda (well, mostly the latter) seemed to emphasize that they were stressing the setting and its characters in the first half, and then actually delve more heavily into answering those questions in the second half. (Which I kind of agree with. Texhnolyze is one of the few anime where the narrative -- both the plot and the symbolism -- are constantly progressing. Makes more sense to have the audience gain a feel for the city and its citizens.)

Quote:
It also said that, like Lain, this is not a particularly overtly symbolic series and furthermore, multiple interpretations can and should be gleaned.

Eh, not really. While there are some ambiguous plot elements in TEX that allow fans to return to the series again and again -- like every other ABe series -- it's a very, very straightforward thematic drive. It's more cohesive, linear and also richer than lain.

I liken Texhnolyze to being the 2001: A Space Odyssey of anime, with elements from gangster films, German philosophers and especially Buddhism. (It's to Buddhism what Wolf's Rain is to Hinduism, in a way. Neither of those two religions have really been given such emphasis in anime outside of those two series.) There's different ways to see certain story progressions, but, in the end, there's a defining skeleton that makes thematic interpretation fairly easy if one pays attention enough.

And like 2001, Texhnolyze is very, very slow, massively allegorical, emotionally detached (though neither without its tender moments) and extremely ambitious.

Quote:
Clearly Ichise (got the name right, I hope?) would be a dead man without some very tight twine. Seriously, you can NOT lose that much blood and survive. The tourniquet probably barely held him together.

There's a reason for Ichise's seemingly superhuman ability to survive such harsh actions against his body, but I'll leave that unsaid until much later in this discussion.

Quote:
That aside, I find it interesting that his punishment from the yakuza, harsh as it was, squarely fit his crime. Did anyone else notice this? He slapped their prized whore with his right arm when she made advances on him. Therefore, they cut off his right arm. For as much still doesn't make sense to me in this show, that rang pretty true. The yakuza are true gangsters in that they are deadly, organized by twisted (but rational to them) rules that govern everyone below them.

Nice catch. That methodology and rule is very defining of the Organo. It's a nice example of Onishi's beliefs as a leader.

Quote:
There appears to be a resistance to whatever Al-Capone-esque totalitarianism exists in the city far below ground, in this Lux place, or was it Nage?

There'll be details revealed in volume two as to why the city of Lux is in the constant warring state it's in.

Quote:
I'm still pretty confused, but I know that Ran is a valuable asset to whatever underground respite hides out from the Alliance of Yakuza up top.

?

Could you clarify this?

Quote:
No, who Ichise is and why he was had to sleep with the whore to get his money is ANYBODY'S guess.

I'll have to confirm it tonight, but basically she wanted to cheat on him from her husband/lover. Didn't work out, obviously, and so she had him contact the Organo (or perhaps he's in the Organo; don't remember which) to punish Ichise for hurting her.

Quote:
He's a boxer. From above.

Again, could you clarify this?

Quote:
On a side note, guys, I will be rejuvenating the Haibane Renmei and Kino's Journey threads for thoughts on ANY part of the series for a while.

Yes! Will definitely be looking forward to the Haibane thread.

Quote:
This will be in about two weeks, mind you, but I will be doing Book Club threads on Paranoia Agent and Wolf's Rain.

Dunno about Paranoia Agent, but I'm definitely going to participate in the Wolf's Rain discussion.

aya_honda wrote:
When that man came (forgot whether he has a name or not Embarassed)...

Onishi, the leader of the Organo (the currently ruling syndacite of Lux).

Quote:
... and wanted to shoot him, he told him that living is a matter of choice under any circumstance. This is what I see in Ichise's ardent desire to walk, to do something ... anything except to stay there and face death by losing blood.

Ichise's will to live is a key device in this series. It manifests itself in interesting ways, and contrasted, as well.

BrothersElric wrote:
The only thing that had me a little skeptical going into it is some of the things I hear about how depressing it is.

People tend to ignore the more uplifting aspects of Texhnolyze. I mentioned to AG that it can be a life-affirming story. It has one of the most touching and universal messages in anime -- it's only rivaled by Haibane and Honneamise in that area, for me.

On the other hand, there's no use denying that it's also incredibly dark. It tackles very dark subjects with very little -- if arguably any -- of the conventions in anime. It doesn't emotionally pander to the audience. It isn't preachy. It's sad.

I compared it to Wolf's Rain above. The results of both series are not the same, but they both tackle heavy themes. They both use religious symbolism (Buddhism and Hinduism, respectively) to get their messages across.

Quote:
It also sounds like this series will have more graphic content in it than I'd prefer as well, however I do hear it isn't like, on the level of Berserk or Elfen Lied or anything like that, so I may be able to handle it more than I think.

The violence in Texhnolyze isn't like either of those series. It is a hyper-violent series, but doesn't glorify the actions.

Aromatic Grass wrote:
One scene that especially stuck out to me was when Ichise saw (imagined) the stairs, which would look short from our point of view, stretch out as though walking up them would be like walking to his death. This was also emphasized because of the shining golden quality of the stairs as he saw himself (with both arms and legs) walking up past his real self, like an important part of him died.

That scene kept throwing me off on my first couple viewings. Talked about with Kagemusha, and his take seems similar to yours. Will see what I think when I watch it tonight.
solinari67

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely LOVE the first episode of Texhnolyze. The lack of dialogue is such a brilliant move. So many series break storytelling's most important rule: show, don't tell. I can't even begin to count the series that have characters explaining backstory ("Oh, you've been this way ever since you moved to Tokyo three years ago after your girlfriend left you") instead of taking a much more subtle approach.

That being said, Texhnolyze's first episode really allows the viewer to soak in the setting first and learn about the characters later (although there is PLENTY to pick up on when it comes to characters).

In response to the concerned forum member who stated that "Texhnolyze is even more confusing than Lain," I have to peacefully disagree. It takes 7 or 8 episodes before the pieces of plot all start to come together, but once they do, it makes for one hell of a tale.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:20 pm Reply with quote
HellKorn wrote:

I liken Texhnolyze to being the 2001: A Space Odyssey of anime, with elements from gangster films, German philosophers and especially Buddhism. (It's to Buddhism what Wolf's Rain is to Hinduism, in a way. Neither of those two religions have really been given such emphasis in anime outside of those two series.) There's different ways to see certain story progressions, but, in the end, there's a defining skeleton that makes thematic interpretation fairly easy if one pays attention enough.

And like 2001, Texhnolyze is very, very slow, massively allegorical, emotionally detached (though neither without its tender moments) and extremely ambitious.

"Daisy...daisy...give me your answer...do..." Laughing Wow, that is a good comparison. I get the feeling that will become more obvious with further episodes...

And, ah! You caught the extensive use of Hinduism in Wolf's Rain, did you? It's highly prevalent, yes, and it's something I'm excited about exploring when I do a book club thread on it BUT although Wolf's Rain explores Hindu beliefs moreso than any other anime, I also have to argue that it borrows various ideas from Buddhism, Shinto mythologies, and even Christianity extensively. Basically, any belief about the apocalypse that they COULD ruminate on in that show, they jammed it in somewhere. But that's a bit off topic, so I'll save it for later.

Quote:
I'm still pretty confused, but I know that Ran is a valuable asset to whatever underground respite hides out from the Alliance of Yakuza up top.

Quote:

?

Could you clarify this?

Um, yeah, sorry. I simply meant that Ran having precognitive abilities has got to be a huge plus for a society that's constantly under rogue attack. We saw what happened in episode one. Without her foresight, they'd all be fish paste.

Quote:
He's a boxer. From above.

Quote:

Again, could you clarify this?

Just a guess. If he was involved with the syndicate, he must live in the city. He knows them and the Organo whore-woman somewhat well. Hence "above," I meant the city.

I don't know if he's a boxer like we think of in terms today, but he seemed to get paid for beating the crap out of people in some kind of organized fight. Whether it's sport or some crude form of a button-up man, I don't know.

solinari67 wrote:
In response to the concerned forum member who stated that "Texhnolyze is even more confusing than Lain," I have to peacefully disagree. It takes 7 or 8 episodes before the pieces of plot all start to come together, but once they do, it makes for one hell of a tale.

At this point it can not be as confusing as lain. Absolutely no way. Laughing After now having watched it twice, lain has got to pop right under Evangelion as the most vaguely deep but horribly pretentious anime I've ever seen. I got...the message...but there seemed to be an awful lot of baggage. Anime dazed

I've seen a lot of stuff he's written or story-manned now (Lain, Pet Shop of Horrors, Digimon Tamers, Alice in Cyberland and now a bit of Texhnolyze) and I think Konaka could stand to take a lesson from Satoshi Kon and try to "keep it simple stupid" when dealing with psychological/philosophical ruminations. I still think he's a genius, but he's not very accessible. Honestly, his best writing might have been in Digimon Tamers just because he had to talk down a little and leave off (some) of the extra disturbing imagery.
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:27 pm Reply with quote
solinari67 wrote:
I absolutely LOVE the first episode of Texhnolyze. The lack of dialogue is such a brilliant move. So many series break storytelling's most important rule: show, don't tell. I can't even begin to count the series that have characters explaining backstory ("Oh, you've been this way ever since you moved to Tokyo three years ago after your girlfriend left you") instead of taking a much more subtle approach.

I agree it's a powerful move whether I like it or not; however dialogue doesn't always have to be "telling" it can be "showing" as well. A character can say one thing and mean something completely different and that can be the insight into who they are. For example, I just watched the first episode of Madlax whereupon the main character continues to say that she would like to have pasta after this mission. To herself, in a war zone. I'm not sure yet what that says about her, but it obviously shows her as being mentally unhinged or out of the accepted norm somehow, without a doctor ominously talking about her "condition." So you can't really pin "telling and not showing" on dialogue as a concept; it's pinned on the writing itself.

I myself enjoy dialogue the most in film (well maybe it's tied with cinematography, in this case animation) which is why Texhnolyze has been so hard for me. I mean, that does make every little thing they say more significant, and it was probably the right choice for this series...just not for me Anime catgrin But I'm still going to appreciate it, damn it!
Labbes

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:59 am Reply with quote
So, this will actually be the first Book Club thread I will participating in, and I think it will be great.
Anyhow, Texhnolyze is a series I wanted to watch for a long time, and the first two episodes sure make me crave for more.

Episode 1:
The lack of dialogue might be connected to the level of "civilization", if you want. The first scene where there are people talking is when Onishi phones somebody - in a brightly lit room. Dialogue doesn't seem fitting in the grim city, where they seem to communicate with different means - violence and hidden "rules" you play by (grammar?).
Anyway, I didn't get why Ichise was punished, and I still don't understand the twisted rules of the gangsters, but I guess that the more power you have, the less sense your rules make...
The man with the mask (Yoshii?) sure seems interesting, is he some kind of immigrator?
So much for episode 1.

Episode 2:
I'm not sure whether this episode had more dialogue or only felt that way, since things were a lot clearer. The cuts do make it hard to connect the characters to one another*.
Anyhow, the "live!" message of this show is really strong, and the VA of Ichise did a terrific job of portraying the desperate, angry will to live without words. It really impressed me how convincing this was.
I liked the scene where Ichise fell and wanted to use the arm which had been cut off, and he later accepts the loss of his old body (I guess that's what the scene with the stairs meant).

*This also goes for episode 1: The red-haired woman and Ichise are not shown in the same picture for about 10 seconds, so I wasn't sure if they were really connected in some kind of way. In episode 2, it was Onishi talking on the phone about "not taking revenge".
rainbowcourage

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:

Anyhow, the "live!" message of this show is really strong, and the VA of Ichise did a terrific job of portraying the desperate, angry will to live without words. It really impressed me how convincing this was.

Yeah, the VA would sure have to have some potent psychic mind-waves to influence you without even speaking. Damn, that's powerful.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:54 pm Reply with quote
some of you wrote:
-The violence isn't so 'violent' (pardon my French). I have seen worse but then again I have seen only the two first epsiodes because I don't want to cheat and I want to watch them together with the rest of the people interested in this series.

-The violence in Texhnolyze isn't like either of those series. It is a hyper-violent series, but doesn't glorify the actions.

-The graphic content isn't too bad, although this is just from my point of view. As you may have guessed, and assuming you've watched the interview by the time you read this, the series has quite a bit to do with losing one's limbs, so there's only so much that can be done with that.

Wow, I mentioned the term "graphic content" and all you guys mention is violence and absolutely nothing about sex..... Anime smile + sweatdrop

But yeah, it's not just the graphic violence I'm concerned with, it's any graphic sexual content I'm worried about as well. I've heard there were some sex scenes in it but I also hear it's nothing too bad at all, more inferring such rather than actually showing it or anything like that, but I don't know exactly. So how is it in that sense? Clean enough it'll be okay with me? Sounds like the level of violence should be just fine by my standards as well.

aya_honda wrote:
Ok, one: I may actually be the one who gets the things in a slower pace (trust me I do that many times) and maybe this series isn't that hard to get (I am trying to reassure you and myself at this point Wink ). I think the different way of telling the story is the key and makes a different note from other series. Also the pace is slow, indeed, but then in the second episode the action really intensifies itself and it goes at a much rapid step. I think it really depends on what the creators wanted to focus on that particular episode and what they tried to make out of it. But honestly, I can't have a definite opinion on the series yet, but I really want to watch it and see what happens next. So please, just watch it and make your own opnion; I wouldn't like to be the cause of your giving up on this series or not enjoying it too much because of what I said. Who knows? Maybe you will find it even more interesting than me! (See what you have done? You made me panic! Anime hyper )

I think you might have taken my words a little out of context. Anime smile + sweatdrop I have no problems at all with it being slow paced. Although I can't necessarily say I understand a series any better that way or anything like that, I find myself liking slow paced series just fine all the time. All the more power to it if it does eventually get more fast paced with action and whatnot though, heaven knows I have no problems with that. Cool But yeah, as skeptical as I indeed am going into it, that doesn't mean that I don't want to at least give it a try. I will indeed see it for myself and make my own opinion on it just like I do with everything else, in fact I was going to anyways. And if I don't like it, then trust me, it has absolutely nothing with what either of you to ever said at any point. But I think it's looking less and less likely that'll be the case though, after watching that interview last night and from other things I keep hearing about it in this particular thread it may be more liking to my taste then I might think.

AG wrote:
You heard that? I heard Texhnolyze was more straightforward. But anyway, yeah, you shouldn't have too much to worry about thanks to this thread. What you may have trouble with is just the heavy emotional aspects of the series rather than trying to understand it. Either way, it doesn't bother me cause I'll watch anything and be fine even if I'm emotionally scarred in the end or have no idea what happened.

I don't know, I swear it might have been in like, the Lain thread or even the main Book Club thread that I heard someone talking about something like that. I wonder, was it Ggultra maybe, when he was responding to HK inviting him to come talk Tex with us? I don't know, whoever said it though I swear I got this "if you think Lain is bad just you WAIT till Tex!" type of feeling from it or something. But yeah, from the sound of things I take it this series won't be NEARLY that bad in those regards.

HK wrote:
People tend to ignore the more uplifting aspects of Texhnolyze. I mentioned to AG that it can be a life-affirming story. It has one of the most touching and universal messages in anime -- it's only rivaled by Haibane and Honneamise in that area, for me.

On the other hand, there's no use denying that it's also incredibly dark. It tackles very dark subjects with very little -- if arguably any -- of the conventions in anime. It doesn't emotionally pander to the audience. It isn't preachy. It's sad.

I compared it to Wolf's Rain above. The results of both series are not the same, but they both tackle heavy themes. They both use religious symbolism (Buddhism and Hinduism, respectively) to get their messages across.

Well yeah, if it's sad and explores dark themes and whatnot but at the same time is positive and uplifting then that'll be just fine, just like I explained in my Wolf's Rain example (or in that case positive and uplifting because of depressing and dark events that made it happen, and from the sound of things Tex will probably be much the same). Where my problems lie is if something is an entirely dark, depressing, and overall pessimistic kind of series, like if it's the sound purpose of the main theme of the series to be that way. Like take Elfen Lied for example. The reason why I've decided not to watch that series in the end is simply because of the fact that it's a series who's main theme is the exploration of the violent, dark and shockingly disturbing side of human nature. Yeah, not my cup of tea as you can see. Wink As overwhelmingly emotionally powerful as I'm sure it is, that's what I'd call overwhelmingly emotionally powerful in the wrong way.

But from what you say I may not have to worry about that either with this series. I guess I just hear far too much about how dark and depressing and overal negative and pessimistic this series is and rarely ever hear about it's more uplifting and positive aspects like you said that I've always wondered if it was more like Elfen Lied in that sense. But I'm sure it's not quite as bad as everyone says it is. I mean heck, all I ever hear about Wolf's Rain is how sad and depressing it is, yet everyone who speaks about it in that sense always seems to not realize just how positive and uplifting it was in the end because of it.

Anyways, looks like I may very well be watching either one of the episodes or both of them tonight sometime, I think I may be able to fit them in here.
Paludis

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:23 am Reply with quote
BrothersElric wrote:
some of you wrote:
-The violence isn't so 'violent' (pardon my French). I have seen worse but then again I have seen only the two first epsiodes because I don't want to cheat and I want to watch them together with the rest of the people interested in this series.

-The violence in Texhnolyze isn't like either of those series. It is a hyper-violent series, but doesn't glorify the actions.

-The graphic content isn't too bad, although this is just from my point of view. As you may have guessed, and assuming you've watched the interview by the time you read this, the series has quite a bit to do with losing one's limbs, so there's only so much that can be done with that.

Wow, I mentioned the term "graphic content" and all you guys mention is violence and absolutely nothing about sex..... Anime smile + sweatdrop

But yeah, it's not just the graphic violence I'm concerned with, it's any graphic sexual content I'm worried about as well. I've heard there were some sex scenes in it but I also hear it's nothing too bad at all, more inferring such rather than actually showing it or anything like that, but I don't know exactly. So how is it in that sense? Clean enough it'll be okay with me? Sounds like the level of violence should be just fine by my standards as well.

Out of curiosity why do you care about "graphic" sex? I can understand someone being squeamish about violence but everyone likes sex, right?

To answer your question there are some bare breasts and sexual references but that's about it.
halfadeckshort

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:53 am Reply with quote
Writing off the woman as a "whore" and the sex scene as gratuitous really does an injustice to the interactions that are going on between Ichise and those around him. One of the shots during the scene focuses on a porcelain doll sitting still and lifeless; the shot then zooms in on the doll's eye, which fades into the eye of the woman. A similar shot of the same doll's eye later fades into the eye of the man observing the act. These two shots, and the woman's obviously artificial hand, set up a relationship between the dolls and the people in the scene that would seem to indicate that their actions are as empty of life as the dolls themselves: empty lust in the case of the woman, bored indifference in the case of the observer. The most doll-like of the three, however, is Ichise.

Though there are no direct links between the dolls and Ichise, either through his eyes or body positioning, he remains motionless and expressionless wherever he is placed. He doesn't react at all to the woman, or what is happening to him, until she begins to take his eye and he responds with violence. Even then though, as the camera pulls away from him sitting up on the bed, he still has the same blank expression he had throughout the entire scene. In fact, the only times in the episode where he shows any kind of expression at all are his recollection of his smile during the fight, and the agonized look he has when he is maimed at the end. When it comes to normal human interactions -- sex, or merely acknowledging the presence of others on the street -- Ichise is as lifeless as the dolls.

I'm interested to find out how he got where he is, and where he goes from here. At this point I've only seen through episode two, but the groundwork has obviously been laid for a lot of personal growth on the part of Ichise. The scene where he watches his former self walking up the stairs seems to be an acknowledgement of his old life, the fact that a part of it has passed him by forever, and the fact that he can no longer afford the luxury of being as disengaged from other humans as he was. Of course, it could just as easily be a simple recognition that in his former life he wouldn't have given his new maimed self a second glance on the street, but I'm betting that it's deeper than that.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:38 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:
Ah-HEH-ah-HUH-ah-HEEEEEH-ah-HUUUUUH-AGH-AGH-AGH-AH-HEEEEEH-ah-GGGGGGGHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!

Yeah, so that's all I got from the lead character in that episode. Laughing Well, there was a wicked cool OP...

Ha ha! That's been his only line in the entire series so far, hasn't it? Laughing Of course we're only 2 episodes in, but still.......

But yeah, a few things here and there I felt kind of left in the dark on so far (in fact some of the things some of you have talked about so far I was kind of overwhelmed to hear it was all in just these 2 episodes, because I sure as heck didn't catch on.... though most of it does sound familiar, some of it just seems to be, like, explainations for things I didn't get that I assumed would be touched upon in latter episodes or something..... ) but for the most part I'm actually quite surprised how easy to follow it's been. Definitely FAR from what I feared going into it. I guess if anything, what I might have been fearing that was described by people in that sense is how, yes, I'm going to say it, slow paced it's been. In this case it's a little different than your typical everyday slow pacedness that's been about other series. Basically I'm talking about how the plot of the series so far has been entirely based off of, as already has been stated, showing us rather than telling us. Or in other words, the lack of dialog. I mean normally I'm able to follow a story just fine even if it doesn't have any dialog in it, or in Sasaki Kojiro's case from Vagabond, follow a particular character, but in this case it's done in such a way that, wheras even though I was able to follow the basic idea of what was going on most of the time, yeah, a whole lot of it still has a few things here and there that is really kind of hard to pick up on. So at times it kind of makes me feel like I'm watching some random bunch of dialogless scenes more than it does make me feel like I'm following an actual story at times. So by the end of the episode I couldn't help but think "man, if the rest of the series is like this I'm not so sure I can take it! Anime dazed "

But nah, when you put both episodes 1 and 2 together, it makes a whole lot more sense of things. In fact I think episode 2 may have reassured me quite a bit about this series, not only more liking to my tastes but also as a possible top 25 favorite cantidate if the rest of the series is more like episode 2 than 1. I mean of course it still very much was in the same mode as episode 1 that way, it just seemed like it also at the same time helped episode 1 make more sense and a whole lot more was explained. It's just like AG said, I'm glad we watched these 2 episodes together instead of seperately, because I don't know how much I would have been put off by the first episode had it not been for ep. 2 being there to back it up immediately following. In fact you know what I find kind of interesting about the nature of this series? Most other series like this you want to watch as little of it as you can, either to savor the feeling of the series or to not overload your brain with too much complexity. But I feel like it's the exact opposite with Tex. If the rest of the series goes about the same way these first 2 episodes did it might actually be a better idea to indeed rush through it, just simply because of how constantly flowing and developing this series seems to be. It almost seems as if stopping all of a sudden in the middle of that flow or development and waiting a while before you go on hampers the experience more. Of course once again, that's just based off of the first 2 episodes. Of course even if this is true, I'm sure there are other obvious, real life reasons applying to each of us why it's better for us to take it slowly, so I won't be confrontational about that. Wink

JesuOtaku wrote:
He slapped their prized whore with his right arm when she made advances on him. Therefore, they cut off his right arm.

Ah ha! One of the things that has been hard for me to understand so far is why exactly the Yakuza were after him as much as they were, and I knew it had something to do with that! Of course I went off on other tangents of possibilities of things that was probably going to be explained latter on, such as the possibility of Ichise (was his name mentioned at all in these episodes? If so I must have missed it somehow..... ) being and important person in of some kind of religious movement that created Texhnolizing and and found it sacred, just like those Yakuza guys were saying about opressing these outbursts of religious groups that were rebelling or something like that, can't really remember exactly what they were saying. But yeah, I guess not, huh? ..... Anime smile + sweatdrop

That was something I took note of though, the whole idea behind what that Yakuza guy that was beating the crap out of Ichise was saying along the lines of "petty scum like you shouldn't be allowed to Texhnolize." That's why I brought up that whole idea of a religious movement or something of people who found Texhnolizing to be sacred, and along comes the Yakuza, taking complete control of the area and stripping the people of their sacred practice, hogging it all to themselves. Definitely makes you wish he had hit that lady when he was going for that punch, doesn't it? Wink

AG wrote:
At the very beginning and throughout most of the first episode he was like an emotionless robot. And at other times, like in the beginning when he was boxing and at the end when he was defending himself from the yakuza, he seemed more like an animal. So I'm getting the impression that he was made to seem unhuman to the viewers, at least for now. Or at least the world he lives in has made him this way.

For me this kind of goes back to the idea that Ichise's only line in the series thus far has been "Ah-HEH-ah-HUH-ah-HEEEEEH-ah-HUUUUUH-AGH-AGH-AGH-AH-HEEEEEH-ah-GGGGGGGHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAUGH!" Laughing I mean even into episode 2 when things were being made mroe sense out of and there was more dialog and whatnot, Ichise's character, along with Ran's, still remain to be the only characters who haven't spoken a word and still keep you in the dark about them. There's just so much mystery surrounding both of their characters because we know so little about them, other then they both seem to be emotionless, empty shells. Not too sure yet about Ran but Ichise definitely strikes me as a very, very interesting character that's going to be quite the experience finding out more about him as the series goes on. One things for sure though, and that is that he most certainly isn't a happy camper who lived such a joyful little life, no doubt. Wink No, definitely some pretty heavy emotional scars there I'm sure. And that's probably an understatement too.

AG wrote:
One scene that especially stuck out to me was when Ichise saw (imagined) the stairs, which would look short from our point of view, stretch out as though walking up them would be like walking to his death. This was also emphasized because of the shining golden quality of the stairs as he saw himself (with both arms and legs) walking up past his real self, like an important part of him died.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I got from that scene myself. I think the reason why I was able to see it so easily in fact was that scene earlier where he's falling and he imagines his arm there to break his fall as if he wished it was still there, but it indeed wasn't, so he just fell flat on the ground. That one made enough obvious sense to me, and that's kind of what I connected the stairs scene with.

HK wrote:
JO wrote:
Clearly Ichise (got the name right, I hope?) would be a dead man without some very tight twine. Seriously, you can NOT lose that much blood and survive. The tourniquet probably barely held him together.

There's a reason for Ichise's seemingly superhuman ability to survive such harsh actions against his body, but I'll leave that unsaid until much later in this discussion.

I was kind of wondering about this myself. I mean I'm typically one who just adores scenes like that where a character has this incredible will to survive no matter how badly damaged they are. I find those to be some of the more emotionally powerful and invigorating scenes in a series personally, no matter how unrealistic or humanly impossible it may be. So yeah, so far Ichise's strong will to live has been a big part of what I've loved about the series so far, and no doubt it will continue to be if what has been said about it is true about it being a major theme of the series. However, my issue with it so far has mostly been what was said in the interview about how they wanted to portray something like this more realistically rather than the typical shounen jump-esque "I loose more blood than my body can hold but somehow I'm still alive!" type of thing. It's great in those other series but in a series like this, especially after that interview, it not only doesn't seem to fit very well, but seems to also contradict what the original creator's main intentions were. But I guess if there's an explanation for it latter on then I guess I'll just have to hold out, now won't I? Wink

HK wrote:
I'll have to confirm it tonight, but basically she wanted to cheat on him from her husband/lover. Didn't work out, obviously, and so she had him contact the Organo (or perhaps he's in the Organo; don't remember which) to punish Ichise for hurting her.

Wow, you were actually able to determine this how now? Confused Because dang man, if that's true they didn't make it any kind of obvious at all, now did they? Anime smile + sweatdrop If that is indeed true, then holy crap was that a good catch! Shocked

Quote:
Quote:

At this point it can not be as confusing as lain. Absolutely no way. Laughing After now having watched it twice, lain has got to pop right under Evangelion as the most vaguely deep but horribly pretentious anime I've ever seen. I got...the message...but there seemed to be an awful lot of baggage. Anime dazed

Yeah, after episode 1 I was wondering but then after episode 2 I think that's pretty much confirmed it for me that this isn't anywhere NEAR as confusing as Lain. I mean I actually understand what's going on here for one Laughing but for another, it actually seems to me like what I don't know now actually will come together and make more sense latter on. With Lain it all fit together, yeah, but it never really seemed like it did, and it never really made any sense. In fact it's in that very nature that I'd honestly say I think I'm without a doubt going to like Tex MUCH better than I did Lain. Another thing I've noticed is that I actually feel like I have a desire to go back and rewatch episodes if I have to, because I actually feel like they'd make more sense if I did. With Lain it just felt so confusing to the point where I was never really sure if rewatching it would help at all, if I'd feel like I was watching the same confusing things over and over again still making no sense of it.

Paludis wrote:
Out of curiosity why do you care about "graphic" sex? I can understand someone being squeamish about violence but everyone likes sex, right?

I don't think there's really an answer to that question, really, it's just the way I am. So no, not everyone likes sex the way you seem to assume they do. Wink I mean it's a natural human feeling to, I understand that and I won't deny that even I struggle with it sometimes, but what's more than that is the actual personal, not hormonal state I am in that issue. And basically, as far as who I am goes I know I don't like it, therefore I choose not to give in to those hormonal urges. Simple as that, really.
fullmetal biologist

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:06 pm Reply with quote
I finally got around to seeing these first episodes of Texhnolyze. Overall, I was intrigued and a little disconcerted. It's not a series where I immediately warmed to any of the characters and felt much for them. In fact my husband disliked it so much he refused to watch any more of it. But hopefully the mind will be engaged if not the heart.

Comments on the first two episodes:

- I thought the lack of dialogue fit well with the title of the first episode "The Stranger"; I felt like a stranger in this city where no one seems eager to reach out to anyone else; this is also apparent when Ichise loses his limbs and no one offers help

- there were a lot of symbolic images, such as broken glasses, masks (the fox mask and the gas mask), and dolls

- the sex scene, while I didn't find it particularly graphic, was creepy to me, not an act that anyone looked like they were enjoying; I also wasn't sure at the time if the woman was human or a cyborg because of her prosthetic arm

- the Doc intrigues me, like most strong-willed intelligent scientist figures (especially female), I predict that she will have a heart of stone and a wayward moral compass

- I didn't really follow the gang warfare plot though I assume it will be made much clearer as the story progresses

- I found a lot of parallels to Ghost in the Shell because of the implications of prosthetics and cyberization and even Fullmetal Alchemist, spoiler[since Ichise is now missing a leg and an arm]

Last edited by fullmetal biologist on Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:40 pm Reply with quote
(I keep on receiving errors when attempting to post this. I'm splitting it up.)

Didn't receive the computer back until Friday, and was not available to get on here until today. Mm.

The following is an epic post. Want to pick apart some material not really covered yet. Gonna take it section be section:

Ueda and ABe Interview

- Ueda mentions in the interview that the clothing Ichise wears is not unlike the hopeless. It speaks for itself, considering Ichise's situation, but it will have important connotations in the later episodes.

- He also talks about how the characters losing their limbs exemplify the pain of loss. The texhnolyzed limbs are not mere substitutes for the lost appendages; they are partners to their respective owners. Those who are texhnolyzed must come to endure the pain and depend on this technology to help them through life.

Opening Theme

- Man, isn't the one of the coolest opening themes ever? The art direction and editing is phenomenal. My familiarity with Juno Reactor only reaches to their music in the Matrix sequels (one of the few redeeming factors of those movies), but I like this piece. The music is well-suited for the visuals and the artificial setting of the story. The quote, "If you want anything, anything at all: come to me. I'll be your guardian angel," is also very appropriate for later in the series.

- So many vital visual motifs introduced here: the raised and tightly clenched fist; eyes; Ran's constant appearances in various locations of Lux; the deadened and lifeless people trudging through the city; hazy, dream-like text flittering across a filtered, grainy screen; the railroad tracks that have no end; and the omnipresent Obelisk. Keep all of them in mind.

Episode 01

- Just a random aside: this is one of the best examples of anime on a low budget. Art direction, storyboards and backgrounds are about as good as they come; the characters' expression convey their feelings, not awkward and annoying aural cues frequent in anime. Animation isn't anything spectacular, but gets the job done and is quite impressive in spots.

- To continue the emphasis of the Obelisk: what is it that Onishi first looks at out his window when he's introduced?

- Train tracks, fists and eyes also return here from the opening theme. We see frequent images of a train hurtling through the darkness, seemingly without end. Ichise's fist is brought to focus when fighting and as he stands over the sink. As for the eyes? Well, y'know what the woman does to Ichise to provoke his ire? Yup.

- "Soul! Body! Truth! Salvation! Vengeance!" The mantra of the Salvation Union, repeated by the two members who attack Gabe. What they're referring to will be made clear in the upcoming episodes.

- The lizard shown twice through this episode is evident foreshadowing of losing of and "regeneration" of limbs.

- Sort of depressing when we see Ichise go through the case of guns. Not exactly an easy life.

- The transition from day to night in the city is very controlled. Also take note of the back of the first DVD volume referring to Lux as an "experimental city."

Episode 02

- Doc remarks to Onishi that the texhnolyzed limbs won't last forever, implying an imperfection in her creation.

- There are a lot of references to a Spectacle, and how one hasn't happened for a while. Its importance will be alluded to and stated in the upcoming episodes.

- What are the men working on? Won't say much, other than a possible connection to the Raffia that Onishi mentions.

- Ichise rejects the food the man gives him. Doesn't have the best of social habits. (The image of Ichise having money in his mouth is a sick metaphor, as well.)

- Yoshii's remarks to the Elder of Gabe that it took four more days than he initially expected to come to Lux are indicative of how far down this city is. Why would an underground city like this be so disconnected from the surface world?
HellKorn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:44 pm Reply with quote
(Second part, with the replies. Guess all that text is too much for one post.)

JesuOtaku wrote:
Wow, that is a good comparison. I get the feeling that will become more obvious with further episodes...

There's actually a 2001 homage in episode three. See if you can catch it.

Quote:
Um, yeah, sorry. I simply meant that Ran having precognitive abilities has got to be a huge plus for a society that's constantly under rogue attack. We saw what happened in episode one. Without her foresight, they'd all be fish paste.

Ran's precognitive abilities are both are a blessing and a curse. Can't say much more than that for now.

Quote:
Just a guess. If he was involved with the syndicate, he must live in the city. He knows them and the Organo whore-woman somewhat well. Hence "above," I meant the city.

The Organo are tied in with various workings throughout the city of Lux. The MMA-like fights that Ichise engages in is symbolic, obviously, but it also serves a practical purpose to the backdrop of the series: to let loose the inhibitions of some of the more unruly citizens of Lux. It also serves as distractions to the current welfare of the people. That kind of activity has been popular throughout history and still persists today -- the Roman coliseum is a good example.

Quote:
After now having watched it twice, lain has got to pop right under Evangelion as the most vaguely deep but horribly pretentious anime I've ever seen. I got...the message...but there seemed to be an awful lot of baggage. Anime dazed

Confusing and ambiguous =/= pretentious.

You want genuine examples of pretentious works in anime? Check out these babies.

Quote:
I've seen a lot of stuff he's written or story-manned now (Lain, Pet Shop of Horrors, Digimon Tamers, Alice in Cyberland and now a bit of Texhnolyze) and I think Konaka could stand to take a lesson from Satoshi Kon and try to "keep it simple stupid" when dealing with psychological/philosophical ruminations. I still think he's a genius, but he's not very accessible.

Accessibility doesn't mean that the work is inherently better, though. Hell, while I love Satoshi Kon, his "mind-fudge" adventures are more visibly flawed than his more straightforward works (Millennium Actress, Tokyo Godfathers). He tends to go for oversimplifications with certain themes, and he isn't completely above being trite (see: episode four of Paranoia Agent).

But if you want Konaka at a more accessible level, check out Ghost Hound (same director as lain). Somewhat rushed ending aside, it's an excellent series.

Labbes wrote:
Anyway, I didn't get why Ichise was punished,

He hurt the promoter's lover when she was having sex on him. They have ties to the Organo as made clear at the end and first half of episodes one and two, respectively. They wanted revenge, so...

Quote:
and I still don't understand the twisted rules of the gangsters, but I guess that the more power you have, the less sense your rules make...

... they took revenge by removing the arm that hit the promoter's lover.

Quote:
The man with the mask (Yoshii?) sure seems interesting, is he some kind of immigrator?

Yoshii is from the surface world. Like I note above, he has taken several days, perhaps a couple or so weeks in order to travel down to Lux. (Hence the provisions, such as the food we see him eat, and the mask for any encounters with airborne poisons.)

But I'm surprised no one has asked this question: what does Yoshii intend on doing in Lux?

Quote:
The cuts do make it hard to connect the characters to one another*.

Eh, I find it easy to do that, though I do have the benefit of watching this before and understanding the cues that Hamazaki uses.

BrothersElric wrote:
Like take Elfen Lied for example. The reason why I've decided not to watch that series in the end is simply because of the fact that it's a series who's main theme is the exploration of the violent, dark and shockingly disturbing side of human nature.

Well, that series doesn't really "explore" anything. It's either over-the-top otaku-fodder or else the most brilliant parody of anime clichés ever.

halfadeckshort wrote:
Writing off the woman as a "whore" and the sex scene as gratuitous really does an injustice to the interactions that are going on between Ichise and those around him. One of the shots during the scene focuses on a porcelain doll sitting still and lifeless; the shot then zooms in on the doll's eye, which fades into the eye of the woman. A similar shot of the same doll's eye later fades into the eye of the man observing the act. These two shots, and the woman's obviously artificial hand, set up a relationship between the dolls and the people in the scene that would seem to indicate that their actions are as empty of life as the dolls themselves: empty lust in the case of the woman, bored indifference in the case of the observer. The most doll-like of the three, however, is Ichise.

Though there are no direct links between the dolls and Ichise, either through his eyes or body positioning, he remains motionless and expressionless wherever he is placed. He doesn't react at all to the woman, or what is happening to him, until she begins to take his eye and he responds with violence. Even then though, as the camera pulls away from him sitting up on the bed, he still has the same blank expression he had throughout the entire scene. In fact, the only times in the episode where he shows any kind of expression at all are his recollection of his smile during the fight, and the agonized look he has when he is maimed at the end. When it comes to normal human interactions -- sex, or merely acknowledging the presence of others on the street -- Ichise is as lifeless as the dolls.

Ha, awesome catch. I didn't really consider the dolls, writing them off as some Easter egg (Konaka is a doll collector/maker). But that's a nicely understated use of symbolism.

Keep the doll motif in mind, because it will come up later in the most interesting way in the last stretch of the series. (Your observation certainly makes it clearer as to WHY something is the way it is.)

Quote:
At this point I've only seen through episode two, but the groundwork has obviously been laid for a lot of personal growth on the part of Ichise. The scene where he watches his former self walking up the stairs seems to be an acknowledgement of his old life, the fact that a part of it has passed him by forever, and the fact that he can no longer afford the luxury of being as disengaged from other humans as he was.

Spot-on.

BrothersElric wrote:
... those Yakuza guys were saying about opressing these outbursts of religious groups that were rebelling or something like that, can't really remember exactly what they were saying.

"Those Yakuza guys," the Organo, are at odds with the Salvation Union. We saw two members of the latter attack Gabe before Yoshii disposed of them both. More will be revealed soon as to why they're considered religious zealots.

Quote:
That was something I took note of though, the whole idea behind what that Yakuza guy that was beating the crap out of Ichise was saying along the lines of "petty scum like you shouldn't be allowed to Texhnolize." That's why I brought up that whole idea of a religious movement or something of people who found Texhnolizing to be sacred, and along comes the Yakuza, taking complete control of the area and stripping the people of their sacred practice, hogging it all to themselves.

Not right, but it is important to note that texhnolyzation is considered something of a higher privilege. The maintenance involved to keep it useful is extensive. The doctor (referred to in the series as Doc) is specifically hired by Onishi to create and maintain his texhnolyzed legs (and likely other members of the organization, as well). To be texhnolyzed is essentially an indication of power and influence.

Quote:
I mean even into episode 2 when things were being made mroe sense out of and there was more dialog and whatnot, Ichise's character, along with Ran's, still remain to be the only characters who haven't spoken a word and still keep you in the dark about them. There's just so much mystery surrounding both of their characters because we know so little about them, other then they both seem to be emotionless, empty shells.

Wouldn't think of either as being "emotionless, empty shells." Their displays of emotion are much more subdued, and will gradually show themselves as the series develops.

Quote:
I think the reason why I was able to see it so easily in fact was that scene earlier where he's falling and he imagines his arm there to break his fall as if he wished it was still there, but it indeed wasn't, so he just fell flat on the ground.

That's a common reaction for recent amputees; thus, Shinji and Hal remark about him being a new one.

Quote:
However, my issue with it so far has mostly been what was said in the interview about how they wanted to portray something like this more realistically rather than the typical shounen jump-esque "I loose more blood than my body can hold but somehow I'm still alive!" type of thing. It's great in those other series but in a series like this, especially after that interview, it not only doesn't seem to fit very well, but seems to also contradict what the original creator's main intentions were.

If one were to look at the series completely literally and realistically, yeah, that would be a problem -- but then so would most of the events in the latter half of the story. I can't say much without spoiling, but I will reiterate my comparison to 2001: some events of that film and Texhnolyze do not fit neatly in an explainable packaged defined by realism. They are both purely allegorical (though TEX puts more of an effort to make a palpable plot, if you will). And something else that I can't say until this series is over; just know that 2001 and TEX are not thematically removed from each other.

What ABe and Ueda mention seem to concentrate more on is the process of losing something important to you. There are plenty of anime (and fiction in general) that cop-out by having a tragic and life-altering development happen, and the repercussions are skipped over. In Texhnolyze, if someone is hurt, they have to go through that agony. If they die, they're dead. If something awful happens to someone they care about, they don't pick themselves up with trite reassurances that don't fly in real life.

BrothersElric wrote:
HK wrote:

Wow, you were actually able to determine this how now? Confused

Actually have to correct that: it's implied that the promoter was watching and/or aware of her having sex with Ichise.

Anyway... it's just paying attention to what's being shown on-screen. We see Ichise standing in front of the promoter cross-cut with the former having sex with the latter. Ichise hits her. Later, Ishii (the man with the black hair and narrowed eyes) receives a call. The final scene of episode one has Ishii holding a sword and cutting off Ichise's arm as punishment for his actions (with the promoter and his lover there, thrilled at their revenge).

Quote:
With Lain it just felt so confusing to the point where I was never really sure if rewatching it would help at all, if I'd feel like I was watching the same confusing things over and over again still making no sense of it.

Everyone watching lain the first time feels that way. Whether they enjoy that feeling is another matter.

Re-watching it certainly helps; I've seen it three times now and I've caught most of the intricacies in the plot, I think.
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
halfadeckshort wrote:
At this point I've only seen through episode two, but the groundwork has obviously been laid for a lot of personal growth on the part of Ichise. The scene where he watches his former self walking up the stairs seems to be an acknowledgement of his old life, the fact that a part of it has passed him by forever, and the fact that he can no longer afford the luxury of being as disengaged from other humans as he was.

Yeah, I think that's a good way of looking at that scene when compared to what I said earlier. It's kind of a scary thought, too. Losing what you were and having to make a huge change to relying on others, something Ichise doesn't seem to be too good at, and then there's the idea of being texhnolyzed. Like what HK said concerning the interview, these new parts become depended upon as "partners" in life. Not only does it seem physically painful, but it's also a pretty big stepping stone for Ichise emotionally, etc.

HellKorn wrote:
Man, isn't the one of the coolest opening themes ever?

Of all things I forgot to mention in my post it would have to be the opening theme! The second I watched it I decided that it was one of the best themes ever and is now one of my favorites, and also that Juno Reactor is my new hero. (I like trance-y stuff, too.) But the visuals do seem very interesting, and of course the look just plain awesome. Anyway, I'll pay attention to the connections between what's shown in the OP and the series itself.

HellKorn wrote:
...and the omnipresent Obelisk. Keep all of them in mind.

Wow, this totally passed me by. Gotta pay attention next time as it appears to be important.

HellKorn wrote:
Just a random aside: this is one of the best examples of anime on a low budget. Art direction, storyboards and backgrounds are about as good as they come; the characters' expression convey their feelings, not awkward and annoying aural cues frequent in anime. Animation isn't anything spectacular, but gets the job done and is quite impressive in spots.

I would never have guessed. It looks good to me.

HellKorn wrote:
The transition from day to night in the city is very controlled. Also take note of the back of the first DVD volume referring to Lux as an "experimental city."

Oh, I didn't notice that. To me it just seems like a playground for all of these groups to run around and kill each other and control others. Doc is the only one besides Yoshii (obviously) who doesn't seem to fit in.

HellKorn wrote:
But I'm surprised no one has asked this question: what does Yoshii intend on doing in Lux?

Well, he's obviously well armed. Maybe he's going to do something about Organo and all those mafia-esque groups? If not, then I'm guessing he's researching the... texhnolyzations (new word!). It's strange to me that he'd be all alone in this kind of city, though.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
It's that time of the week again. The schedule for September 9-15 is as follows:

Episodes 3-4: "Texhnophile" & "Synapse."

Sorry, I've been so busy lately that I haven't had the time to update until now, but here's the new schedule which starts first thing tomorrow... or in my case, that's today. (Yay lateness!) Anyway, I'm looking forward to the upcoming Thursday threads as well. That way we'll have consistent participation in these things during the entire week!

Oh yeah, and pay attention to the things that've been previously discussed in these next couple episodes, people! Btw, in case it wasn't painfully obvious, this completes volume one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10