• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Kannagi.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (TV).

While not having gotten an entirely impressive review on ANN thus far (above average still), Kannagi has certainly attracted my attention and is probably one of the better shows of the season. Animation is better than I'd expect from this kind of series, and Haruka Tomatsu, still a newcomer, does a really nice possibly memorable job voicing the main girl lead, Nagi. The premise is cliche, but the variation on the tired theme and good execution thus far make it a refreshing watch that doesn't warrant a facepalm.

I like it a lot so far, and here's hoping it delivers the rest of the way.
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:56 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Kannagi: Crazy Shrine Maidens (TV).

While not having gotten an entirely impressive review on ANN thus far (above average still)

Just wait, I'm still writing mine. Wink

Anyone who follows my reviews knows that these are the kind of comedies I gladly eat up.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:09 am Reply with quote
This one had enough of an appealing cute factor to it (or at least the kind of cute that I tolerate well, anyway) that I may give it a second try. I don't, at this time, consider it a high priority, however.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
I don't see the point in reviews by only a handful of people when you can self-review it.

Seemed interested, but highly cliche of goddess lives with an ingrate who lacks a spine a pair of tentacles. Sure, he may have some thoughts, but he can never live up to them, not because he's a nice guy, but just because he's usually a weakling/coward. I'll probably just watch it regardless since it's short.
Elfen12

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:56 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I don't see the point in reviews by only a handful of people when you can self-review it.

Well for starters they're called Reviewers becuase they're specialty is reviewing. They wouldn't be reviewers if they couldn't write a good review. Also, they review, so you can help get an idea of what to expect. Do you find it to be the same with Movie Reviews. If a show or a movie get a bad review, people may not go see it.. reviews help in that regard too. The reviewers also have a pretty good expierence in doing it. Not to mention, they've seen enough shows to make comparisons and tell whether or not a show is good based on other shows. That's all i know, but it is sufficient enough i think. I like the idea of it, and for that...
Thank you ANN Reviewers Smile

Oh also... i'm excited for this show.

-Elfen12-
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:53 am Reply with quote
Key, care to explain why you said the most fluidly animated title of the season has unremarkable animation? I really don't know why actual "movement" is hated by so many people, if you want to look at pretty stills look at a manga. I watch anime for fluid movement and in that regard Kannagi > everything else that has aired though I would say Index is the better overall look.
_Earthwyrm_

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

Maybe you can self-review, but not everyone has the time nor the inclination to pick up the first episode of every new series that comes out. Personally, I find them very useful as they give me a good idea of what show is what and what's worth checking out for myself.

Quote:
but highly cliche of goddess lives with an ingrate who lacks a spine a pair of tentacles.

Is lacking a pair of tentacles a bad thing? Laughing
CloverKuroba

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:12 am Reply with quote
This has been my favorite first episode of the season, so far. It really does seem cliche, and to a certain degree it is, but the execution, as Frentymon put it, is refreshing. The OP is definitely misleading but very, very catchy (it's been going in a loop in my head and I don't even have a mp3 of it yet...). Nagi is adorably quirky-- she reminds me of Horo from Spice and Wolf. She's not used to modern times (her old style of speech came as a suprise) but is fascinated by modern things. Haruka Tomatsu really does a great job voicing her as well. I also think Jin is rather funny...I did get a kick out of him labeling his dirty magazines as textbooks.

I'm really looking forward to more.
Psyco13

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this anime aswell but there were some unanswered questions and left me out of the loop idk i thought it was a little confusing maybe the second episode will clear it up Razz

other than that i liked it so far i've liked two shows this season this and Toradara!
frodonk

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:57 pm Reply with quote
i hated the OP sequence of this show, i really don't know why though

maybe its because i was expecting something more somber since this was a supernatural show, but then again a personification of a goddess becoming a pop idol? then imitating a magical girl show? i really have to see the second episode to know where this is going Very Happy
Aromatic Grass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Glad I decided to add this one to my very short fall season to-watch list. It's actually the last one I decided to watch (out of six shows). But I think it'll be worth it just because the style really caught my eye, and the animation looks fantastic. The reviewers seems positive about the series, too. Smile

At first I thought the season'd have a large amount of "so-so" shows, but instead it looks like it'll have a few very good ones instead. (There may be more that I'll miss out on, but oh well.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spoon89

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:30 pm Reply with quote
I though Kanagi was pretty impressive, and the opening displayed some nice dancing animation, probably the best since the time of suzumiya haruhi. I guess i would continue to watch it, the storyline has gotten my attention and my favorite quote in the anime so far is "even gods go to the toilet" >.<
Riah

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:43 am Reply with quote
It was unexpected, but I found Kannagi pretty funny. The timing and dialogue was really good, and Nagi seems like she'll turn out to be an extremely fun character.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 8:55 pm Reply with quote
- Awesome op is (still) awesome
- The character animation in this episode was outstanding, Kannagi is going to utterly spoil me if it keeps this level of animation up.
- Kittens! and the song from the trailer is used!!
- spoiler[Tsugumi makes her on screen debut!]
- I forgot Nagi spoiler[had a split personality! Kittens :( ]
- The spoiler[super ball] manga chapter is probably the least exciting/interesting chapter I've read but it's still fairly decent, some nicely animated scenes here too.
- New picture of Nagi during the ending song, awesome one too boot.
- spoiler[School time] next episode, can't wait ^^ especially for what should be in the last scene.

Now this is how you adapt a manga, the rearrangements and additions improve the show (and keep it more fresh for manga fans) and it loses nothing important. Animation is awesome, Nagi is awesome and Tomatsu Haruka is just doing a knock out job with her. Sorry Zange-chan but I'm becoming a Nagi fanboy!
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

Nagi's the best! She's a real ball of energy and the accent and the overreactions are supercute. spoiler[I still can't tell whether she actually has a split personality or was faking it. Either way, it was clever no matter how you slice it.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8