• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sidhardha

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:47 pm Reply with quote
I think the dub actually improved somewhat this week, though there's still the need for a lot of ironing out before it's even decent. The Meisters sound a little more natural, but Richard Cox's Hallelujah is more impressive than his regular Allelujah, and they really should have found somebody who could do both well. Sergei's still too scratchy, and it feels like he and a lot of the extra voices could use a throat lozenge, but he wasn't as bad this week. At least Louise's mother was casted well, but it's unfortunate it's wasted on such a small role.

Sci-Fi Channel continues to cut out scenes, which is annoying. There were two obvious ones in episode nine. One has Feldt explaining that her parents were "second generation Gundam Meisters" (which, by the way, we never really got any follow-up and on) and another has Christina eating with Setsuna and Tieria. But I guess everyone needs Quiznos and Scare Tactics commercials every three minutes, right? Urgh.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:59 pm Reply with quote
Same old same old this week.

Sergei's voice is too scratchy, Shirin's sounds like an old maid's, etc. Allelujah still sounds awkward. Unfortunately he was given a lot of screen time, which only exposes this that much more. Richard Ian Cox is fine as Hal, but as Al he's sorely lacking any sympathetic tone. Setsuna and Tieria's voices are still being phoned in. Ali doesn't sound as happily insane as he should. He just sounds like a simple smug mercenary.

At least Lockon's voice is good. Sumeragi's is passable, too. It's sad that some of the otherwise decent voice actors can't do as well. I'm especially disappointed at Brad Swaile and Scott McNeil. The former seems to have lost steam after the Death Note dub and the latter has been poor since he was Hohenheim in the FMA dub. It's unfortunate that once good voice talents have degraded this much so soon.

Also, they cut a key scene showing Saji finally winning over Louise's mother (with pizza!) in favor of more commercials. Nice job, Sci-Fi Channel.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
hughvh

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:06 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Also, they cut a key scene showing Saji finally winning over Louise's mother (with pizza!) in favor of more commercials. Nice job, Sci-Fi Channel.

I thought there was missing something in that story line!

Nuts, looks like I'm going to have to get the DVDs, when they come out.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Watching last week's dubbed episodes, I noticed that the voice actor for Patrick has somewhat worked into the role. Or maybe he's just grown on me. It's unfortunate that he's the only one who has. Scott McNeil's Ali al Sarches still sounds uneven and wavery and I can't even begin to describe Brad Swaile's completely subdued performance as Setsuna, even during fairly intense moments. It's frustrating, because I know he can do better. Maybe the dub just has bad directing.

If I'm right, tonight's episodes will have the debut of the Trinity syblings, so we'll see (er... hear) how they're handled.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:53 am Reply with quote
I thought the Trinity siblings sounded good. Then again, I'm of a mind that the whole dub is good. I guess I'm just easily pleased.

Dig those marvelous machines of theirs! Cool
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 11:58 pm Reply with quote
The Trinity siblings sound decent, especially the eldest, Johann. I think Nena could try to sound a tad more energetic, though.

Watching the dub for the first season reminds me of a few questions the second still hasn't answered. One of them is, what happened to the group Alejandro was working with, the "observers"? And what did Aifman figure out about the Jovian mission from 120 years ago?

I forgot how great episode 18 of this show was. Just amazingly tragic and intense. I think this is when the series finally kicked into high gear.

I think they actually cut out the shot of Louise's arm stub, though, which makes it lose its impact.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I think they actually cut out the shot of Louise's arm stub, though, which makes it lose its impact.

Uh, no. It was right there. In a close-up, in fact. You must have blinked. Unless there was an earlier shot of a bloody stump, in which case they did right to cut it out- revealing it in front of Saji was much more effective.

Come to think of it... did you post that before the episode was OVER? 0_o;;;;
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:14 am Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Uh, no. It was right there. In a close-up, in fact. You must have blinked. Unless there was an earlier shot of a bloody stump, in which case they did right to cut it out- revealing it in front of Saji was much more effective.

Come to think of it... did you post that before the episode was OVER? 0_o;;;;

Hm, I guess I blinked.

And hey, just a couple of minutes before. It's not like I hadn't already seen that episode.
RevyHenriettaRider

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:20 am Reply with quote
Hello! Cool

I thought that the episodes this week were wonderful.

Now does anyone know how long before this series is put on DVD. And does anyone know when the second season will be dubbed and put on TV. I want to have the complete series on DVD with this English dub.
daedelus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:05 am Reply with quote
I don't think there is any specific date for DVD release of season 1 beyond 2009. As for the 2nd season? Time will tell.

Yes I agree that ep 18 was intense. More than I was ready for actually.

I think Setsuna has the right idea at the end of the episode.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:22 am Reply with quote
I'd promised myself that Gundam 00 would be one series I'd follow without fault this year, because I haven't done that since Wolf's Rain was last on Adult Swim and I figured it was time to settle down and commit to something.

This week, I felt it's really been worth it. At first, the show felt like it was just grinding along with its cast of faceless thousands but now it's starting to give some weight and emotional impact to these characters. I want to see more of them, want to see what happens next.

Episode 18 was Gundam 00 stepping up to the plate and knocking it hard. Somewhere, Tomino's smiling.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:54 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Somewhere, Tomino's smiling.

Let's hope not. That's when he's at his most dangerous.
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:27 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Hm, I guess I blinked.

And hey, just a couple of minutes before. It's not like I hadn't already seen that episode.

But the scene in question was the LAST in the episode, except for a brief one where Setsuna prepares to go apeshit on the Thrones... you didn't post that before the scene itself could have aired, did you?
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 12:50 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

Hm, I guess I blinked.

But the scene in question was the LAST in the episode, except for a brief one where Setsuna prepares to go apeshit on the Thrones... you didn't post that before the scene itself could have aired, did you?

There was the part where Saji was walking through the hospital, depondant and I was already typing up the post as it was airing. I probably missed the stub reveal because I was busy typing up my question about the Jovian mission.

Why are we still talking about this? Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 6 of 20