• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japan's Kodansha Reports Its Largest Annual Loss Ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frubam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
How long has it been since anime became dependent on US sales? I mean, throughout the 90s and into early 2000, they didn't seem to rely on US sales to make shows. And just for the record, i'm not defending anything, I'm just asking a question.
sdhd

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
The two reason are why Kodansha took a loss.

"Advertising revenues declined under the effects of the recession, and a drop in magazine and comic sales led to 135.058 billion yen"

Kodansha is in the same spot as the American newspaper and magazine companies a decline in readership of the hardcopy due to the internet. The internet is more current then the daily newspaper or/and magazine.

It would be in Kodansha's interest to hold off establishing a USA company at this time. VIZ is having problem staying on top with the current economy.

Last edited by sdhd on Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:06 am; edited 1 time in total
LordRedhand

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 am Reply with quote
It became important when "we" bailed the industry out with Funimation, ADV and other NA distributors were also producers for it as well. Effectively the NA anime fans are, as a group, investors in the anime market. So if sales are down here and they're down in Japan it means the investors are not investing. Now some of it could be that they simply moved on from anime, which is understandable people change. But it could also mean that some are getting their "fix" of anime in other ways, some legal like Crunchy Roll or Joost or Hulu or they are doing so in which nothing goes back into the system. So it would be when the industry almost tanked.... I think it was in '97 or '98 but it could have been 2000 memory is a little fuzzy and the closest thing I can think of to look for it would be to search for Greg Ayres fansub panel on youtube, he mention it there.
configspace

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:06 am Reply with quote
Jesus, no matter how much logic you use people here will insist on blaming fansubs on anything and everything.. Mad

You can pour money into R1 dvds all you want and it still wouldn't do a damn thing for Kodansha's publishing business. You can get rid of scanlations and it still would not do anything to help. Heck, you can get rid of all the raw scans and it still would not make one bit of difference! Simply because the amount being scanned pales in comparison to the other amount being published weekly amongst all of the serial publications -- it's much more convenient just to borrow your friends copy or pick up issues for less in used manga stores, or go to a manga cafe for certain issues, or just wait a little while since people are literally throwing away old volumes (although I think more are turning to the used manga stores now to make a few yen as opposed to stacking them up for recycling)
jsieczka

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:05 am Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:

"Advertising revenues declined under the effects of the recession, and a drop in magazine and comic sales led to 135.058 billion yen"

Kodansha is in the same spot as the American newspaper and magazine companies a decline in readership of the hardcopy due to the internet. The internet is more current then the daily newspaper or/and magazine.

It would be in Kodansha's interest to hold off establishing a USA company at this time. VIZ is having problem staying on top with the current economy.

In addition to the sales drop for magazines and comics in the west the value of the insert add slots have been dropping as well. If you pick up a Marvel or DC you will see the same trend with the ads. Using X-Factor as an example #40 out of the 12 ads spots 8 are for internal products. If you go back to issue #30 there were 14 ad spots and only 4 were for other marvel products. This means one of two things, 1) they can't sell the ad spots or 2) the ad space price is so depressed that it is worth more to try and boost sales. Marvel Editor Joe Quesada said at Comic-Con (i think it was Comic-Con) that the advertisements make almost the same amount of revenue for comics and magazines as the cover price. From the sounds of it Kodansha is dealing with the same issues.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:41 am Reply with quote
jsieczka wrote:
sdhd wrote:

In addition to the sales drop for magazines and comics in the west the value of the insert add slots have been dropping as well. If you pick up a Marvel or DC you will see the same trend with the ads. Using X-Factor as an example #40 out of the 12 ads spots 8 are for internal products. If you go back to issue #30 there were 14 ad spots and only 4 were for other marvel products. This means one of two things, 1) they can't sell the ad spots or 2) the ad space price is so depressed that it is worth more to try and boost sales. Marvel Editor Joe Quesada said at Comic-Con (i think it was Comic-Con) that the advertisements make almost the same amount of revenue for comics and magazines as the cover price. From the sounds of it Kodansha is dealing with the same issues.
QFT. This is also happening in the anime industry because anime series are being pulled off from prime time TV slots. When people aren't reading the ad-supported official magazine prints, other businesses will no longer support the publishers because a lack of audiences. At the same time however, anime fansubs and manga scanlations have all the ad inserts removed while stealing the ad supported intellectual properties known as anime and manga. So whatever this guy was whining and complaining about is nothing more than a stubborn & spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum.
bayoab

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:45 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
So whatever this guy was whining and complaining about is nothing more than a stubborn & spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum.
His point is completely valid and correct. In the same way that the game industry makes a major stink about gamestop hurting their sales, the manga industry has the same issue with used book dealers. The big difference is that there isn't just one but multiple used books chains throughout Japan. This issue technically also applies to manga cafes which usually let you get away with a ~3:1 cost ratio (about the same as used manga). Especially in troubling economic times, people will turn to cheaper solutions like the 100 yen used book store section. This has next to nothing to do with piracy.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:02 pm Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
DomFortress wrote:
So whatever this guy was whining and complaining about is nothing more than a stubborn & spoiled child throwing a temper tantrum.
His point is completely valid and correct. In the same way that the game industry makes a major stink about gamestop hurting their sales, the manga industry has the same issue with used book dealers. The big difference is that there isn't just one but multiple used books chains throughout Japan. This issue technically also applies to manga cafes which usually let you get away with a ~3:1 cost ratio (about the same as used manga). Especially in troubling economic times, people will turn to cheaper solutions like the 100 yen used book store section. This has next to nothing to do with piracy.
Nice try, kid. But the problem is manga scanlations got their sources from just one copy of the latest ad supported manga magazine, stole the companies' ad sponsored intellectual properties that were the latest releases of serialized mangas, while removed all advertisements from the magazine scans. We're not talking about second hand books, older series, or manga graphic novel releases, no. We're talking about manga scanlations stealing the latest manga releases on manga magazines that's paid by companies' advertisements. And those companies are had it with manga scanlations leeching off from their advertising venues.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:30 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:
I loved the lack of hesitation from users to jump and begin attacking the fansubs. Hey, whatever is cool to hate, you gotta hate, right? Let's not develop opinions after all, those are dangerous.

And there are just as many people attacking the people attacking the fansubs, which is why these threads always descend into the exact same arguments. The people you are replying to have an opinion, it just doesn't agree with yours, nor all the other people who have differing opinions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:40 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:
Nice try, kid. But the problem is manga scanlations got their sources from just one copy of the latest ad supported manga magazine, stole the companies' ad sponsored intellectual properties that were the latest releases of serialized mangas, while removed all advertisements from the magazine scans. We're not talking about second hand books, older series, or manga graphic novel releases, no. We're talking about manga scanlations stealing the latest manga releases on manga magazines that's paid by companies' advertisements. And those companies are had it with manga scanlations leeching off from their advertising venues.

...what in God's name do scanlations into other languages have to do with domestic manga sales and advertising revenue in Japan?

Seriously. Give us all a straight, sensible answer. That's all we want.
DomFortress

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:49 pm Reply with quote
Shiroi Hane wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:
I loved the lack of hesitation from users to jump and begin attacking the fansubs. Hey, whatever is cool to hate, you gotta hate, right? Let's not develop opinions after all, those are dangerous.

And there are just as many people attacking the people attacking the fansubs, which is why these threads always descend into the exact same arguments. The people you are replying to have an opinion, it just doesn't agree with yours, nor all the other people who have differing opinions.
However, people's opinions are based on what they think that's true. So when there are people with different opinions while there can only be one truth based on reality, facts, and reasoning, who's lying?

But this much I do know, the anime fansub and the manga scanlation groups had been telling two biggest lies for as long as this disclaimer had been in circulation: "This is free fansubs/scanlation. Please support the anime/manga series when it gets licensed."

And the truth is, anime fansubs and manga scanlations are not free, they are stolen intellectual properties. And before they got stolen by the anime fansub and manga scanlation groups, they were already licensed to be released and distributed on Japanese TV networks and manga magazines, with a large portion of the licensing fee paid by various Japanese companies' advertising venues to the Japanese TV stations and media publishers.
Top Gun wrote:
...what in God's name do scanlations into other languages have to do with domestic manga sales and advertising revenue in Japan?

Seriously. Give us all a straight, sensible answer. That's all we want.
No. Instead of just another answer based on opinions alone, you'll have the truth.

Furthermore, when the Japanese audiences are relying on illegal duplications of stolen intellectual properties instead of authentic licensed releases that's paid by advertising venues, available legally on Japanese medias, for their latest anime & manga gratifications. They don't get to see any advertisements paid by the Japanese companies because they've all been removed. That's why the Japanese companies no longer want to sponsor the anime & manga industry with advertising venues, because people are stealing the intellectual properties that they paid for with ads, yet they removed all ads as they continue to steal.
melonbread

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Companies can't turn a profit forever, with every rise, there is a fall.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:32 pm Reply with quote
DomFortress wrote:

But this much I do know, the anime fansub and the manga scanlation groups had been telling two biggest lies for as long as this disclaimer had been in circulation: "This is free fansubs/scanlation. Please support the anime/manga series when it gets licensed."

And the truth is, anime fansubs and manga scanlations are not free, they are stolen intellectual properties.

...you do realize that that "free" line simply refers to the fact that no one should be purchasing those fansubs/scanlations as bootlegs, right? No one's denying that they're an infringement of copyright.

Quote:
No. Instead of just another answer based on opinions alone, you'll have the truth.

Yes. Linking to your own post within itself is the complete truth. Thank you for enlightening me.

Quote:
Furthermore, when the Japanese audiences are relying on illegal duplications of stolen intellectual properties instead of authentic licensed releases that's paid by advertising venues, available legally on Japanese medias, for their latest anime & manga gratifications. They don't get to see any advertisements paid by the Japanese companies because they've all been removed. That's why the Japanese companies no longer want to sponsor the anime & manga industry with advertising venues, because people are stealing the intellectual properties that they paid for with ads, yet they removed all ads as they continue to steal.

If the Japanese industry is losing domestic business to copyright infringement, it's via domestic uploading of material, not foreign fansubs or scanlations. Which was kind of my entire point right from the start. But yet again, certain individuals seem content to derail a perfectly-good discussion by continuing their off-topic crusade.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
THIS is what happens when people don't purchase company products. If I were a fansubber, I'd have trouble sleeping at night, knowing I just put a honest hard working person out of a job because of my own personal greed.

This is horriable news, I hope Kodansha is able to recover from this.

No kidding.I have a nasty feeling that it's because of those fansubbers and illegal streaming websites that was the cause of the fall of geneon (pionner ent).

If this ain't proof that the industry needs to take actions against fansubbers and video websites that stream their content without permission,then i don't know what will and by the time they do,it may be too late to save the US industry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:21 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
THIS is what happens when people don't purchase company products. If I were a fansubber, I'd have trouble sleeping at night, knowing I just put a honest hard working person out of a job because of my own personal greed.

This is horriable news, I hope Kodansha is able to recover from this.

No kidding.I have a nasty feeling that it's because of those fansubbers and illegal streaming websites that was the cause of the fall of geneon (pionner ent).

If this ain't proof that the industry needs to take actions against fansubbers and video websites that stream their content without permission,then i don't know what will and by the time they do,it may be too late to save the US industry.

Once again not only is this about the Japanese side of things it's about the Japanese manga industry which means that Geneon and fansubbers don't have a thing to do with it and why on earth would Japanese people be reading scanlations in english.
The point is this is anime news therefore it belongs here but there wasn't anything we could do to affect this in reality. This has nothing to do with us.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4