• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Valkyria Chronicles -- discussion thread.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:10 am Reply with quote
Valkyria Chronicles

Guess I'll start the thread for this one, since I fully expect that this will be one of the 2-3 series I follow this season.

Although this series is apparently based on a strategic RPG for the Playstation 3, its first episode certainly doesn't feel like it comes from a console game - and I can't think of much higher praise for a game-based series. Its story is not smashed into the confines of game mechanics, nor is it a slave to some incredibly hackneyed premise. After all, what's not fully believable about a country being invaded for its mineral resources? Given that the story is set in the equivalent of 1935, it's a premise not too dissimilar from some of the conditions that led to WWII, especially in the Pacific Theater.

I've already taken a liking to Alicia, but I've always favored tough-minded, no-nonsense heroines who don't hesitate in the face of danger. I already look forward to seeing how things go with her, Isara, Welkin, and spoiler[the tank] in the next episode, and I haven't been able to say that about most of the other series that have come out so far this season. I want to watch more of this one because it's well-made and interesting, not because I just want to figure out what the hell is really going on here. Also, it's got an interesting visual effect going on with its color fill, somewhat like a more subtle version of what Gonzo did with Gankutsuou.

Anyway, I made other comments on this one in the Spring Preview Guide entry (which should be up soon if it isn't already), but if you thought this one looked promising based on previews then you probably won't be disappointed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:15 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Also, it's got an interesting visual effect going on with its color fill, somewhat like a more subtle version of what Gonzo did with Gankutsuou.

I guess you haven't played the game. This is how they animated all the cut scenes.

Anyway, this will be the very first anime I've followed via fansubs as it is released, and I'm very much looking forward to it.
darkchibi07

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:18 pm Reply with quote
If there's one thing that's a pet peeve of mine for ANY TV shows whether they're anime or not is to have a spoiler["misunderstood plot" which sort of bothered me when the first episode actually stretched the accusations Alicia made on Welkin compared to the game. Though I would give the staff props on interweaving quite of bit of plot points from the game into this first episode. ] Also plus points for using some of the same music from the game! Cool
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:17 pm Reply with quote
(copying from another forum)

Things we learned from episode 1:

-Eastern Europeans are evil bearded men;
-Imperial trained soldiers can't shoot, but teenage girls have a great aim;
-It's really easy to hide a tank, for a very long time, without anyone knowing.
-Modern armies protect themselves with breastplates.

Watch in the next episode:

-How to annihilate a whole army with just one tank and three people without military training.

Ridiculousness aside, it was decent, we have a standard boke male lead, and a tsukommi female lead, will probably be source of some comedy, I can already see a romantic subplot with war in the background. On the other hand, I hope it doesn't turn into a "good guys at war with bad guys" kind of thing, they'll need some more depth.

Also, since when did Germans turn into the "good guys" at war (hmm, hmm Confused )? And what did we (Eastern Europe) ever do to the Japanese? Shocked
Zoe

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:00 pm Reply with quote
I think you're over thinking the parallels...
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Maybe. I still find it hilarious tho.
HyugaHinata

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:22 pm Reply with quote
I love this show so far. I translated it as soon as it came out. Smile

Ausdoerrt wrote:
(copying from another forum)

Things we learned from episode 1:

-Eastern Europeans are evil bearded men;

They're actually Chinese. Wink There may be a subtle undertone about the need for population control.

Ausdoerrt wrote:
-Imperial trained soldiers can't shoot, but teenage girls have a great aim;

They're expendable. Wink

Ausdoerrt wrote:
-It's really easy to hide a tank, for a very long time, without anyone knowing.

It's the last thing they'll expect in the boondocks.

[quote="Ausdoerrt"]-Modern armies protect themselves with breastplates.

Ausdoerrt wrote:
Watch in the next episode:

-How to annihilate a whole army with just one tank and three people without military training.

In typical RPG fashion, the weakest enemies are where you start the game.

Ausdoerrt wrote:
Ridiculousness aside, it was decent, we have a standard boke male lead, and a tsukommi female lead, will probably be source of some comedy, I can already see a romantic subplot with war in the background. On the other hand, I hope it doesn't turn into a "good guys at war with bad guys" kind of thing, they'll need some more depth.

I don't think they'll be able to fit every important plot point/character development from the game in 13 episodes (especially the character development from unlockable side-missions), but there should be a decent focus on the three leads.
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Well, I saw the first episode, and I liked it, but I hope they tone down the comedy a little. I think that with 13 episodes, they'll have to cut out quite a few of the story arcs from the game though (especially if you count the reports as story arcs). If they don't I fear that it will quickly start feeling rushed, which would make this show suck. Also, lots of people hate/are leery of Darcsens in the game, but I don't remember Alicia being one of them. So far, my favorite moment in the series has been the end credits, because it was fun to sleuth out the (very) ancillary characters from the game, who are apparently supporting/main characters in the show.
Ausdoerrt

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:41 pm Reply with quote
HyugaHinata wrote:
There may be a subtle undertone about the need for population control.

Eeh, there's never been a population control problem in Eastern Europe... If anything, it's the other way round.

Well, that aside, I'm glad the series will be watchable (a miracle this season it seems), although probably not too great. I was expecting something more Allison&Lilia-like, but it looks like they're mostly appealing to the fans of the game, and I've never tried it.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 8:27 pm Reply with quote
I got the game because I really liked the character designs. Plus it was one of the few RPG-like games for my PS3. (I still have to finish it, I am so slow with videogames)

When I saw the trailer for the show I got really excited about it. Now I have seen your review of the first episode that you did Key. I will have to see it.
Labbes

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:18 am Reply with quote
I really want to like Valkyria Chronicles, but I just can't get over the sheer ridiculousness of the "meeting" of the main characters. Seriously, they are on patrol through a town they don't know, they meet a guy who is really obviously sketching fish (or at least something in the river), and assume he's a spy. Even after seeing his "spy notes", which consist of sketches of fish. That's clever, really. And even after it's quite obvious he knows some people there, they still assume he's a spy. What kind of logic is that? I mean, they're young, okay, but that's no excuse for a character to stop thinking.
If they need to continue the plot by such means, then I don't think I will watch this, even though story, animation and music are really good.
Hazumu-san

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:16 am Reply with quote
Don't worry Labbes, if it follows the game storyline, that will go away and soon.
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:45 am Reply with quote
It's not 13 episodes, it's 26, that got confirmed about a month ago along with heaps of other stuff in director interviews,
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
I just the show includes most of the battles, since, well, that's a big part of the game. I don't think there'd be an easy way to put all of them in for a 26 episode show, but who knows, they could pull it off.
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:15 pm Reply with quote
As a huge fan of the game, this was my most anticipated series of the season and I was quite pleased with the results. I'm happy to see that the anime isn't afraid to change things up a bit. They are hitting the plot points and revealing the information in their own way and not trying to just regurgitate the game in another medium.

They should have no problem fitting the main story into 26 episodes. Fitting one or two of the special reports in (I'm hoping for the beach episode and Rosie's side-mission) probably won't be a problem.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 14