• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:58 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Quote:
As for Lin being the worst character ever, I can't believe someone would say that unless they never read volume 12.

I've read all 94 chapters, and I've always felt like Ling is a complete waste of character. He does some cool things, granted, but most of his actions and development feels like afterthoughts by the author and he just annoys me to no end. He's really Arakawa's biggest mistake in the story.

You know who i hate? May and her little panda, they really annoying me Confused
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 8:15 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

You know who i hate? May and her little panda, they really annoying me Confused

Two other characters in the manga I adore. In fact I love how spoiler[she first thinks she wants Ed but when she actually meets them she falls for Al instead].
kpk

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:44 pm Reply with quote
You know, i just watched episode 16 of the first anime and... dammit, i really miss Winary's old voice Sad
the new one is good too, but the other one was *PERFECT* Confused
and also, i think that Gluttony's new voice is terrible, don't you?
p3rseus

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:38 am Reply with quote
Happy to see they did well on episode 4 especially after the terrible episode 3. Things moved alone rather nicely and there was actually something I liked in this version more than the first, and that is, that Scar was presented as a scarier looking guy than the first one. The introduction of Scar was just superb, definitely looks like a guy you don't want to mess with.
arachneia

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:37 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Yeah, not like Father, who willingly ressurects the most rebellious homunuculus knowing he will just rebel again. Super competent, that guy.

I always got the feeling that this situation was a symbolic one, that Father is compelled to create and that Greed is compelled to rebel in order to parallel the relationship of God and Satan in late Christian mythos. If you look at Greed speech when he is crucified, it mirrors Satan's (purported) reasoning quite remarkably.
Westlo

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:13 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
You know, i just watched episode 16 of the first anime and... dammit, i really miss Winary's old voice :(
the new one is good too, but the other one was *PERFECT* :?
and also, i think that Gluttony's new voice is terrible, don't you?

We should wait until we get Winry introduced properly before judging her new voice... but I am disappointed that Megumi Toyoguchi isn't reprising this role. Though I don't know if Bones had a choice in the matter considering she's doing nothing new this season and also didn't reprise her role in Valkryia Chronicles as Rosie.

No idea what has happened to her... hopefully she's just busy or something for a couple of months.. Black Lagoon wouldn't be the same if she didn't come back as Revy... her finest role imo.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:44 am Reply with quote
Nooooo!!! Envy sound like a little boy Mad

where all his creepy-nes go? where Crying or Very sad

Oh yea, and i thought that the episode was weak, actually, it was the weakest so far (yes, even more than episode 3). it was too rushed, yet it felt like nothing was moving forward, and also the attempt to mix humor with sadness wasn't very good. I didn't laugh or felt emotionally attached in any part of it, actually, i think that the humor parts was the one that ruined the sad ones, and the opposite Confused
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think any of the humorous scenes intruded on any emotional scenes (and there really were not that many comedic scenes until the later part of the 2nd half). And I definitely disagree it was the weakest so far. Not as good as 4 but I thought it was better than episode 2 & especially 3.

I would have preferred if they adapted one chapter per episode though. They seem hell bent on doing the opposite unfortunately.

That being said I did have some issues with this episode. The way Scar just randomly appeared didn't work for me (in the manga a soldier is looking for Ed & Al and calls Ed's name). I also missed Roy's concern about the Elric Brothers being out alone with Scar out there (this also explained how they knew where to find the brothers since in the manga Riza knew they were on main street).

And I thought the scene when Ed lost his automail looked really poor. This version is supposed to be closer to the manga yet Bones last attempt in the 1st series was closer to how that scene looks in the manga. Maybe they are just saving their budget for the new stuff because I definitely felt they were cutting corners here.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I thought the scene when Ed lost his automail looked really poor. This version is supposed to be closer to the manga yet Bones last attempt in the 1st series was closer to how that scene looks in the manga. Maybe they are just saving their budget for the new stuff because I definitely felt they were cutting corners here.

I agree entirely, I really hope they're just skimming over the areas where the anime and the manga are similar so they can get to the point where they diverge quicker, because god only knows that's what most of us are waiting for. That being said Yeah, again I agree Ed's entire confrontation with scar was handled much better in the first anime. I really hope this doesn't turn into a "closer to the manga but still doing it's own damn thing for some inexplicable reason" sort of anime. I'd loose a lot of faith in Bones if that turned out to be the case.
kpk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
1. I didn't think any of the humorous scenes intruded on any emotional scenes (and there really were not that many comedic scenes until the later part of the 2nd half). And I definitely disagree it was the weakest so far. Not as good as 4 but I thought it was better than episode 2 & especially 3.

2. I would have preferred if they adapted one chapter per episode though. They seem hell bent on doing the opposite unfortunately.

1. You know what? I just watched it again, and you're right, it wasn't *that* bad and not as bad as EP 3 was, but i still think it was weak Confused
and also, i really hate the flow of the animation of the characters in the beginning of the EP (you know, when the characters moved like a jellyfish.. i really hate when that happen in a cartoon. It's disgusting and take you out of the mood Confused, at least in my opinion).

2. agree.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
My impression of the episode is that, while it's an excellent adaptation of the manga material, it somehow falls short of the tension and drama the first anime's adaptation of this material had.

I felt like, when Scar first attacked in the first series, it was very dramatic and there were such high stakes involved. Plus, they split it into two episodes and even added Dr. Marcoh in the mix, so we learned a lot about the Ishbal conflict as well. I remember that the second episode with Scar's attack even revealed that spoiler[it was Roy who killed Winry's parents. ] The episode meant so much more.

spoiler[Of course, afterwards, Marcoh was killed too soon and in the manga it's Scar who killed Winry's parents, but at the time in the first anime, those things were a big deal. ]

Also, I felt like the animation was all over the place in this episode, too. Though some of the action sequences, like the staircase bit, was pretty smooth and exciting. The music improved, too, and the new voices of Scar, Lust, and Envy are all excellent. Gluttony's, on the other hand, just doesn't have the same child-like charm to it.

Not as good as the last episode, in my opinion, but better than most of the others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:46 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

the new voices of Scar, Lust, and Envy are all excellent.

seriously? He sound way too innocent in my opinion.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'm thinking ahead. Takayama was the voice of Dilandau in Vision of Escaflowne. The potential to really let loose is there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 8:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
My impression of the episode is that, while it's an excellent adaptation of the manga material, it somehow falls short of the tension and drama the first anime's adaptation of this material had.

But they did change a bit from the manga so I am not sure if I would say it was an excellent adaption. I guess they got most of the important things in and they got the feel of the manga but it's always those little cuts that bother me.

And it is 2 chapters in the manga too so I I think they could have made it 2 episodes. But that being said this episode didn't feel as rushed and I think that the amount of action scenes in this helped (I mean it's okay when action scenes are fast paced)

As for it being more exciting in the first anime well you already saw it once. I thought it was a bit more exciting the first time I read it in the manga as well. I remember Ed's automail breaking really shocked me and the fact that they were so close to dying and it was only the 2nd volume. This time I didn't feel that same tension but then again as I said earlier that shot of the auto-mail breaking looked sort of weak (it looked much cooler in the 1st series and the manga).

I did like that they kept the whole moving forward and not giving up on life themes. These are things I really love about the manga.

edit: Yes I love Takayama's Dilandau voice, She does crazy quite well. I am not worried about Envy's voice at all. Smile
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:39 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
kpk wrote:
penguintruth wrote:

I'm thinking ahead. Takayama was the voice of Dilandau in Vision of Escaflowne. The potential to really let loose is there.

Takayama's Dilandau voice is amazingly crazy, not worried about Envy period.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 26 of 64