• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:35 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
kpk wrote:
Oh god, why oh why did they have to make the ceiling ventilator in that poor computer CGI? It bother me a lot Confused

Personally I thought the ceiling fan looks great and blended very well with 2D animation. In fact that whole scene was excellent.

Speaking of DVDs I wonder when we will get them. I guess it won't be until Japan gets 13 episodes on DVD which could be awhile. Also I was thinking it would be really nice if Funimation could design a boxset to keep all the 13 episode sets in. They probably won't but I don't see why we can't have something nice when it comes to packaging this time around. That's one thing about the old series the packaging of the original singles was so nice.

I thought it was way too obvious and disturbin in the eye.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Westlo wrote:
kpk wrote:
Oh god, why oh why did they have to make the ceiling ventilator in that poor computer CGI? It bother me a lot Confused

It could be worse, it could be CGI armors :p

I agree, but I still like that part in the movie. Alphonse was awesome. :p
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Crimson_Reaper

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 3:54 pm Reply with quote
I only saw the vent for 5 seconds and it did not bother me. Bah.

My usual reaction to reading the comments about VENTS would propably be "lolwut?", but nonetheless, literacy and intelligence appear to be promoted on this forum. So I will simply say, wheter people liked it or not, I guess it can be forgiven becuase it was only in there for a few seconds.

Also, on the topic of the series's pacing, I like how they do it, so we can get to the good stuff soon. At this rate I suspect, the season finale (13th episode) will be when spoiler[Hughes kicks the bucket.] A good place to end it.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:26 pm Reply with quote
Crimson_Reaper wrote:
Also, on the topic of the series's pacing, I like how they do it, so we can get to the good stuff soon. At this rate I suspect, the season finale (13th episode) will be when spoiler[Hughes kicks the bucket.] A good place to end it.

I think they're just going to keep going, actually.

As for "that event", try episode 10. spoiler[It's titled "Each to Their Seperate Paths". ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 4:46 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, I was gonna say, if we're at lab 5 now, I very much doubt they'd stretch things out so that spoiler[Hughes' death] is episode 13. Definitely not gonna happen if they keep going at the pace they've set. Plus, I think stopping right when they've basically finished rushing through the old material would risk turning some people away from the series - I'd hope they'd want to actually show that this is more than just a rehash before stopping. And yeah, I haven't seen any indication that they'll be stopping, either.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cnav

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 1:33 am Reply with quote
thinkin that series is a 13 episode series..sounds like a crappy joke to me......
Westlo

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:21 am Reply with quote
It's not 13 episodes... ANN really should scrap that "Episode titles: We have 13". It's bad enough that other forums don't know but when you own forum users don't...

At minimum it's going to be 4 cours, most rumors have it running for 5 cours though.
Sariachan

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Are you dumb or what? So for calling names, but the ANN system is more than clear.

It lists episodes' titles and date of airing.
Then, in a separate place, it lists the total number of episodes.

Sorry for being blunt and rude, but I read everywhere on the internet of people worrying about this FMA being only 13 episodes long, because they can't understand a page.
Really. -__-'

About Italian DVDs. I don't know when they'll be out, actually, but since they already have licensed it it won't take a long time for them (I hope).

By the way, computer graphic can blend well with 2D animation if well done, I bet most of people neither notice when it's used, since it's used a lot lately, even in anime.
If someone doesn't like it, well, it's their problem, not mine. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 8:27 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

By the way, computer graphic can blend well with 2D animation if well done, I bet most of people neither notice when it's used, since it's used a lot lately, even in anime.

Well, here's the thing.. today most of the 2D animation we see in cartoons is actually a 3D computer animation who just look like it's 2D.. here's an example...

A part from the Disney's masterpiece Little Mermaid (which was their last movie in hand drawing):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T1CBWUoFrsE

Know, compare it to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EyS3weMlxLA

Can you see the difference? barely, right? that's because the computer animation looks like it's 2D animation so that's okay, but when you put something in 3D computer animation who looks like it's 3D computer animation in environment who looks like it's in 2D animation... well... it will be like putting a 2D house in a line of real houses in real life... do you get my point now?
Westlo

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:46 am Reply with quote
Ah kpk... there's a massive difference and you can easily tell between those two lol...

Sariachan wrote:
Are you dumb or what? So for calling names, but the ANN system is more than clear.

The question is are you dumb? Since I've already explained how it works.

Quote:

You see what confuses people (not me!) is that they continue to list episodes they don't have the title for which makes them think that is the total count.

Quote:

Which airing series don't have, a N/A for that would clear things up for people (not me!)

Quote:
Sorry for being blunt and rude, but I read everywhere on the internet of people worrying about this FMA being only 13 episodes long, because they can't understand a page.
Really. -__-

All they have to do is add one [expletive] line for Total Episodes N/A and stop adding in cours (cour being 13 eps which is why every airing series has 13 in What We Got) for What We Got and stick to episode titles revealed. None of this retarded bulllshit would happen than, I'm sick of explaining how this works on various forums. Seeing how people on it's own forum don't even know how it works is lolz.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:55 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:

Can you see the difference? barely, right? that's because the computer animation looks like it's 2D animation so that's okay

I admit I thought it was easy to tell that the fan was done by computer animation but I still saw a bunch of people that were fooled despite you saying that it was done poorly.

And like Westlo said I can easily see the difference between those two clips you pointed out.
kpk

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:23 am Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
kpk wrote:

Can you see the difference? barely, right? that's because the computer animation looks like it's 2D animation so that's okay

And like Westlo said I can easily see the difference between those two clips you pointed out.

I'm sorry, i didn't say it right, what i actually meant was if you can tell that the animation in the clip from The Hunchback of Notredame is actually a 3D animation who looks like it's 2D? only if you look at it really hard, right? so put something like that in a "real" 2D environment doesn't gonne bother you too much in the eye because it's look like 2D, right? but to put a 3D... (well, you know the rest).
cnav

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:36 am Reply with quote
Sariachan wrote:

Really. -__-'

About Italian DVDs. I don't know when they'll be out, actually, but since they already have licensed it it won't take a long time for them (I hope).

i hope u did not direct that comment at me...cause i believe that this series is not going to end at 13......hahhahahah
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Well, I saw Episode 8, so I'll go ahead and give my impressions on it.

Warning as this post will be made up mostly of spoiler tags.

So, I was incredibly happy with the amount of things they left in this episode, while managing to keep the pacing to a more quality degree.

However, I am starting to dislike the manga words and icons that hover around people's heads, as they can take away from the scene.

They aren't horrible, but even now that this series is starting to establish it's own style, they could still drop that portion of it.

The fight scenes were great, and I enjoyed the Barry Vs. Alphonse fight much more than in the original anime. However I thought the animation work on the first anime's fight between Ed and Slicer was a bit better, mostly because of the lighting. The lighting in this one was much brighter in the room where they fight, and I felt it took away from the overall menace of Slicer the Homicide. spoiler[The transmutation room in this instance being the place where they fight was a better choice than an empty hall I thought, and I also liked how the transmutation room in this was more occultish and less scientific looking.]

The plot twists concerning the fight and Slicer lost the impact they had the first time, of course as it's the same thing we've seen before, but I felt every bit of Slicer's screentime was handled just as well as before. Now as far as the cinematography and the choreography of the Slicer fight, I thought it was beautiful. I liked the decomposition scene in this more than in the first anime, and liked how they animated it.

Now on to Barry the Chopper, as I have a few words to say on him. His portrayal was soemthing I found to be a bit creepier than his first portrayal, largely due to his voice, but also because in the first when he came back as armor he didn't make me feel like he was a cold blooded killer, just some clown. The fact that Scar took him down so easily made him seem even more idiotic. In this version, I found him much more of a threat, especially with spoiler[his being able to convince Alphonse that he is nothing more than a man-made doll] and living to see the consequences of that. spoiler[ The scenes where he talks about his past were animated like something out of a gory chibi nightmare, with chibi figures with giant cuts in them and a hanging chibi above some grotesque graveyard. The part where he kills the guard was gory and random, but immediately made me feel for sure as if this is a guy who would have no hesitation to kill, and I found that to be much more menacing.]

And of course those who read the manga know which characters show up at the end of this episode. spoiler[ The homonculus and Edward have a nice little first meeting, and Envy and Lust are absolute jerks. Lust filling out the category of bloodthirsty quietly cunning ***** and Envy filling out the role of a sadistic ******** that you would feel no regret for if he died horribly. The way they so casually and cruelly off Slicer and his brother was a great introduction for Edward. It's too bad his arm broke, because he was ready to kill. Seeing Envy save Edward from the crumbling ruins was interesting even in light of his being a sacrifice, but I doubt Edward will feel any gratitude later.]

Oh, and the scene where Hughes tells Roy to get a wife was left in! YEAH for not cutting anything!

I would say that this episode comes close to being as well executed as the Nina episode.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 1:39 am Reply with quote
I enjoyed the latest episode. The action was good, the animation was smooth, the music wasn't bad, and the voice acting was strong, too. I did miss the dark ambiance and desperation that was present in the first series adaptation of this material, but I didn't have much of a problem with them getting this arc over with as quickly as the manga did. They really managed to get a lot done in one episode and it didn't feel too sped up, either.

Minami Takayama really is an excellent fit for Envy. He was really starting to sound like Dilandau in this episode, which is good, since both characters are utterly demented.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 35 of 64