• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Well I think people have to understand that the manga storyline is less dramatic than the 1st series storyline. That doesn't mean it doesn't have its serious moments but there is a lot more humor. It might be something to get used to if you expect the tone to be the same as the first series. Maybe it will be easier to accept for people when the storyline really diverges. Because although the manga storyline is not as dark its plot line is still just as compelling.

As for the SD faces I don't really mind them but I guess they could cut down (actually oddly enough they even add in some extra ones that are not in the manga such as in the last episode all the cartoony meat surrounding Barry). I mean I do understand the argument that manga and anime are different mediums. And maybe the comical faces work a little better in the manga but I do actually find them amusing most of the time even in the anime.

Moreover most characters seem to have both a comic and serious side. I know some people won't like this but for me at least it lets me enjoy every character because there is more than one side to them.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:46 pm Reply with quote
I actually thought the SD element of Barry's story and the meat flying around was the best part of the episode. Sort of darkly comedic, since he was referring to murders he committed.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 8:52 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I actually thought the SD element of Barry's story and the meat flying around was the best part of the episode. Sort of darkly comedic, since he was referring to murders he committed.

Oh I wasn't necessarily saying I disliked it just that it isn't actually all from the manga. Although most of those scenes are and obviously adding in other SD moments does fit the tone of the manga so to speak.

You know I think darkly comedic is not a bad way to describe Arakawa's humor. Even the way she makes little comics of the character that died in each volume sort of fits that.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 9:01 pm Reply with quote
I love those. Especially the guard Barry kills at the Fifth Lab.

"Look mom, I got to be part of an extra in a comic!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
This episode...I'm not really sure what to think of it right now, actually. It wasn't bad, but it was missing something, for me. Atmosphere, I guess. I can't really explain it any more than that, I just didn't get that sinister lab 5 feeling, not until Envy showed up and spoiler[started stabbing the 2nd Slasher brother repeatedly,] that was pretty spot on for Envy's character, and added a lot to the mood of the scene. Too little too late, though.

Fawfulhasfury wrote:
Now on to Barry the Chopper, as I have a few words to say on him. His portrayal was something I found to be a bit creepier than his first portrayal, largely due to his voice, but also because in the first when he came back as armor he didn't make me feel like he was a cold blooded killer, just some clown.

See, I don't mind Barry coming off as a clown in the suit of armor at all, because, lets face it - his armor does kind of have an amusing, over-exaggerated design, and even in the manga, he is largely used as comic relief. It's dark humor, yeah, but it's still humor. In the 1st series, I felt they nailed down his creepiness quite perfectly with his introductory episode, and that carried over, for me, so he could get away with being less threatening as a suit of armor.

Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Although I did like episode 8 of the 1st anime a lot the rest of the stuff they did with Barry just really didn't do it for me. And I also didn't like that Barry in the armor was conveniently the same character that attacked Ed & Winry.

I can agree with this, though. Aside from his introductory episode, Barry is used much better in the manga than in the 1st anime, no question. Actually, that entire episode where Al deals with his memory problems is one of my least favorite in the 1st anime. It was all so horribly forced. I found the manga's handling of that issue to be both much simpler and much more effective, so I'm looking forward to seeing that in this series.

The anime-isms have been getting to me a lot, too. I didn't mind Barry's little story telling portion that much, since it fit his personality, it's just the little things that they're constantly throwing in - basically what FLMikeATT said. Goofy faces, all of those cutesy little exclamatory things flying all about, the constant over-exaggerations being thrown into whatever scene they can be thrown into, it all piles up rather quickly. And it really does just work better in the manga, because it's static, so it can be amusing but remain a secondary aspect of that scene, whereas when it's animated, it kind of dominates and distracts from everything else, imo. With animation, you really don't need to go to such lengths to make the same statement. I don't mind some of it being in, but they really need to be more selective with the scenes they choose to overly-garnish with that kind of stuff. When they start adding more than was even in the manga is when it really becomes overkill.

Overall, I guess I'd say this episode was too much Shounen action with too little atmosphere, but considering how condensed it is compared to the 1st series, I shouldn't have expected certain aspects of the story to carry the same weight here. And for being that condensed, it was still pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cnav

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 12:53 am Reply with quote
hey 8th episode rocks...nice one...seriously...ill give my full experience after a while......sry
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:32 am Reply with quote
Honestly, I always thought that in the first series, Al's identity crisis was weak. Not just relatively weak compared to the usual stellar material, but just weak. And stupid. There was little basis for Al to believe Barry, it was obviously just a trick to try and throw Al off guard, devised because Barry knew he was losing, and yet Al fell for it hook line and sinker. I was annoyed to have to sit through this poorly thought-out character arc back in the day, and I'm even more annoyed to have to watch it play out once again.

That said, the rest of the episode was great. As usual. I too loved the Super Deformed parts, especially when Al lifted his helmet and Barry made just the pose he was imitating moments before.

Oh, and ah, every time I watch the Tricia in the opening, the more evil she looks when she smiles. I've got to appreciate the foreshadowing. Her smile is creepily like a facsimile of spoiler[Lust's.]
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 2:53 am Reply with quote
I agree for the most part, although the 1st series did add a few little things to at least try and make it seem more reasonable, like Al not being able to remember that childhood friend of theirs, and they tied it in with Tucker, which I thought was nice. That, and there was what Ed wanted to tell/ask him, of course, but I thought that was poorly played out anyways. I think it's a good idea, but, yeah, I don't think it is executed as well as it could be. And like I said before, I found the resolution of it to be especially weak in the 1st series - it was all very contrived and anticlimactic. So hopefully at least that part will be stronger this time around.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:04 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Honestly, I always thought that in the first series, Al's identity crisis was weak. Not just relatively weak compared to the usual stellar material, but just weak. And stupid. There was little basis for Al to believe Barry, it was obviously just a trick to try and throw Al off guard, devised because Barry knew he was losing, and yet Al fell for it hook line and sinker. I was annoyed to have to sit through this poorly thought-out character arc back in the day, and I'm even more annoyed to have to watch it play out once again.

That said, the rest of the episode was great. As usual. I too loved the Super Deformed parts, especially when Al lifted his helmet and Barry made just the pose he was imitating moments before.

Oh, and ah, every time I watch the Tricia in the opening, the more evil she looks when she smiles. I've got to appreciate the foreshadowing. Her smile is creepily like a facsimile of spoiler[Lust's.]

I agree, I always thought it was almost out of character for a brother as devoted as Al is to be shaken by a baddie's suggestion, a baddie I might add who they've clearly established is freaking mental (especially in the first series). I mean believing Barry in a snap may have been the writers showing that even though Al's big and all he's still really vulnerable but it just sort of came off as out of character.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 3:28 am Reply with quote
Well, if it makes anyone feel better, the Alphonse identity crisis doesn't stay around as long in the manga as it did in the anime. This is one of the things that I thought the manga handled a lot better, in fact.

Though, yeah, to begin with, Alphonse believing Barry at all was pretty ridiculous. But I think that at that point they were both pretty vulnerable after discovering that the thing they sought for so long was made of human lives and Al's in the middle of a battle and still has Ed's unasked question on his mind. Still, I would agree, it's not one of Arakawa's better handled plot elements.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 6:29 am Reply with quote
Well personally I love the arc in the manga because of how it plays out. I think they deal with it in a very charming way and it is one of my favorite Ed & Al moments.

But anyways do I think it is stupid for Al to believe Barry yes. But you have to remember he is only a 14 year old boy. And sometimes we all do stupid things when we are thinking with our feelings.
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:02 pm Reply with quote
Just finnished watching ep 9, overall it was pretty good. But what I wanted to know wasspoiler[ did anyone else notice Izumi and Sig walk past Winry when she gets off the train around the 6:45 mark?] I don't remember the manga, it's been a while, but is that forshadowing for something or were they in central at that point or is it just a little visual joke for people who knew who they were.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Blackpeppir wrote:
Just finnished watching ep 9, overall it was pretty good. But what I wanted to know wasspoiler[ did anyone else notice Izumi and Sig walk past Winry when she gets off the train around the 6:45 mark?] I don't remember the manga, it's been a while, but is that forshadowing for something or were they in central at that point or is it just a little visual joke for people who knew who they were.

That visual joke was in the manga too. Of course in the manga no one knows who they were at that point.

Anyways I was overall very happy with this episode. Maybe the animation could be better but they adapted the scenes from the manga quite well. I especially loved the scenes spoiler[of Winry bashing Al with her wrench and the little heart to heart between Ed & Al on the roof. I also love the moment when Ed & Al put their fists together and promise to both get stronger]. I was very happy to see these scenes animated. Smile

On another note I loved the music that played during the scene when spoiler[Winry and Hughes were talking about Ed & Al]. The track was so beautiful. I actually played that scene a few times just to listen to that track. Overall I would say the music is not as good as the 1st FMA series (which had an amazing OST) but it is still pretty strong on its own. They did play that track that Penguintruth dislikes in this episode though. Confused
crow-kun

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 8:50 pm Reply with quote
Nice episode. It looks like they will be cutting the Ishbal War flashback short.

Ah ha ha Fullmetal Alchemist.

Last edited by crow-kun on Sun May 31, 2009 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blackpeppir

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 9:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually really looking forward to the next episode, I've been waiting to see the Isball scenes since Brotherhood was announced, the only down side is that the other part of the episode will be "that" part. Which to this day is the only part of a series, anime or manga (both in this case) that has actually gotten me choked up. But yeah good episode overall though. While I still don't like how easily Al's faith in Ed was shaken, I wasn't as ticked off with it in the manga and by extention (sort of) Brotherhood as I was with it in the first series.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 37 of 64