• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:30 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so i saw EP 7 again and this time in HD and i will admit it... i was wrong... the 3D fan does looks good and mix well with the 2D animation. But don't you think that that's change my opinion about the attempt to combine the two... i'm still against the idea of putting a 3D object in a 2D environment (and the other way around) because i still think that it's just doesn't look good most of the time.

Oh, and i actually liked the new EP, it was a fun episode, a lot better than the Rush Valley EP from the first series in my opinion. I also really liked the previous episode, except for the spoiler[Hughes's last words] part that little ruined it for me, but the rest was good. You know what? I now finally believe that this new FMA still has a chance to, at least, end's up at the same level as the first series, though it still has a lot of problems that need to be fix, like: the ED of this series is annoying (for now, at least) and it also suffer from an inconsistent art and style (in one episode [EP 3] the main gimmick is a split-screen and in the other [EP 5] is this disgusting jellyfish animated movement and in the other [EP 6] is this colorful screen that every character has something in the background of that screen that defines her and she also say something about something that also defines her [like: Winry - cog-wheels in the background and she say something about auto-mail]) and, of course, the series most biggest problem: way too many funny moments and SD that ruined the more serious parts.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 9:40 am Reply with quote
Ohoni wrote:
I really don't get the absurd Rush Valley hate around here. Personally I thought the episodee was a lot fo fun. Yeah, it wasn't all drama and philosophers' stones and homunculi, but it was a nice character episode with a lot of fun bits and some nice personal development too.

I also really like the Rush Valley arc. Are they my favorite chapters? No! But I do genuinely enjoy them. Quite frankly I couldn't tell you what my least favorite chapters of FMA are because I honestly adore every chapter. Maybe the first volume! At least when I started reading FMA I didn't become a fan until the 2nd volume. But on re-reads I now enjoy the first volume as well because I think they are fun side stories if not the best chapters (and I will always be sad that we didn't get to see the Yoki story animated because that's my favorite chapter from Vol 1 and I didn't like the episode in the 1st series. I don't mind so much that they skipped the train chapter since I did like how the 1st series handled it).

Anyways as for Rush Valley it doesn't add too much to the plot but I liked how it further developed Ed, Al, and especially Winry. And I also always liked Paninya. Sadly since they cut the chase scene so short I don't think she is as fun as she came off to me in the manga. But I do understand why they only made Rush Valley one episode. At least the pocket watch scene was handled quite well.

That being said it looks like they are making Izumi and the Island only one episode as well and that also covers 3 chapters so I am a little worried. The first series did cover the Izumi stuff well but that's no reason to rush through it here.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:10 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate the Rush Valley arc, it is simply one of my least favorite parts of a great series, meaning it tends to become one of those parts that I read through just to get to the better bits. Despite having minor complaints about a few things, I really do love all of FMA, but that doesn't mean I love every part 100% equally. I definitely have my favorite bits, and then the bits like this, which serve as a segue to my favorite bits - aka, bring on Izumi! Razz

This episode went pretty much how I expected/thought it should go, though. The humor was actually my favorite part of this episode, so, yeah, I'm not just some anti-humor curmudgeon, heh. Loved Al's helmet falling off when they slid, although Mr. Riddle opens the door the next moment, so you'd think he'd notice something, heh. Tall Ed was funny, too. And...were those little Ed-sperm? Anime hyper;

I'm glad they cut down the chase scene, too. The one thing I thought when Ed finally sees Paninya and starts chasing her down in earnest - 'holy crap, it would be terrifying to be chased by an alchemist." The pacing was pretty good for the amount of stuff they crammed in there. I did think some parts got a little too dramatic a little too fast. I'm chalking it up mostly to the music, actually, which is probably my biggest complaint about this episode. Sometimes, the music for this series is dead on, but other times, it just seems really out of place to me. I mean, it was really nice music, but I think something a little more subtle would've worked better for the drama in this bit.

Overall, an ok episode for some ok material. I'm mainly just glad it didn't get dragged out. Now, Izumi, let's go! And hey, we're getting closer and closer to the new material! I mean, I guess this episode was new in that the 1st series approached it differently, but still...well, you know what I mean, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:11 pm Reply with quote
Those idiots! Why didn't they put the flashback scene with Ed and Al's Mum in EP 2? It would have give so much more impact to the funeral scene, and the sacrifice scene, and to the all episode in general. It was so stupid of them to put it in this episode Confused

The new EP was pretty nice by the way.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:15 pm Reply with quote
I notice that they took out the character of Mason altogether, to speed up the island portion. Frankly, I understand that the brothers still came to the same conclusions, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that they should disregard the source so much, especially when the first series had it, and this is supposed to be an even more accurate adaptation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:14 pm Reply with quote
By the way, by the preview for the next EP it seem like they are going to cover up 4 chapters this time.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:15 pm Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Those idiots! Why didn't they put the flashback scene with Ed and Al's Mum in EP 2? It would have give so much more impact to the funeral scene, and the sacrifice scene, and to the all episode in general. It was so stupid of them to put it in this episode Confused .

What they should have done is moved the entire part of episode 2 so it was combined with this episode like it was in the manga. But too late for that. Still I was glad they included more Trisha scenes even if they would have made more sense in relation to the events of episode 2

penguintruth wrote:
I notice that they took out the character of Mason altogether, to speed up the island portion. Frankly, I understand that the brothers still came to the same conclusions, but it leaves a sour taste in my mouth that they should disregard the source so much, especially when the first series had it, and this is supposed to be an even more accurate adaptation.

I was really disappointed in the lack of Mason. Actually in general this episode seemed to not be the best adaption of the source material. It got the general feel right and there were some great scenes (the hug scene for one) but they definitely did a lot of their own thing here. I mean what was with Ed trying to eat Al?

And I know it's silly but I was a little disappointed they didn't let Ed make his horse. They didn't let him make his statue in Lior, they didn't let him make his horse. They are removing one of my favorite recurring jokes, Ed's idea of good art.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:57 pm Reply with quote
They also missed the part with the kids and the dead kitten. It sort of tied in with the "flow of life" theme.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
They also missed the part with the kids and the dead kitten. It sort of tied in with the "flow of life" theme.

Yeah I was disappointed in that but since I knew they were going to adapt 3 chapters this week I had a feeling that would go. It's one of those little scenes that doesn't seem important but it adds to things so to speak.

Overall I would say this was an enjoyable episode it just wasn't the best adaption.

kpk wrote:

By the way, by the preview for the next EP it seem like they are going to cover up 4 chapters this time.

Yes unfortunately it does look that way so that means we should expect more cuts. I am praying they will slow down again after the Greed arc.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:52 am Reply with quote
After watching the episode subbed, I have a few more thoughts.

It felt like Ed and Al did a lot more chatting on the island than was really necessary, especially with that scene after Izumi's hug. It makes me think they probably could have included Mason if they had cut down on some of that, and it would have kept the desperation of the situation and still got the same point across.

Little flashbacks here and there were sort of neat, though not really that necessary. I liked the addition of the scene in which Hohenheim leaves, but they could have kept it at that, not retreading over material that should have been in episode 2.

What I liked the most in the episode was Izumi transmuting the spear and the short exchange of Ed vs Izumi that it prompted.

Gah, the bit I missed the most from the manga is, after telling Izumi about what happened, Izumi tells the brothers to go to the coffin store and buy two coffins their size!

My favorite arc in FMA, both in the manga and in the first series, was the Greed arc. I guess they'll be speeding through it, based on the next episode preview, which is a huge disappointment, but I hope they at least get in Greed's conversation with Al. Greed really is my favorite character, and I'm interested to see where his new VA goes with him.

Also, apparently Mason is in the next episode, but why bother? If they weren't going to put him in this episode, there's no reason to have him at all!
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:17 pm Reply with quote
I've got a question and was wondering if anyone here could help. As far as I can tell the Funimation video channel has now been region locked preventing me from using it from the UK.

Is there actually anyway for me to watch the series legally in the UK now?

Don't say the Panini FMA:B streams for Europe on youtube, those are region locked to the UK as well.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:
I've got a question and was wondering if anyone here could help. As far as I can tell the Funimation video channel has now been region locked preventing me from using it from the UK.

Don't say the Panini FMA:B streams for Europe on youtube, those are region locked to the UK as well.

Nope, for reasons I have yet to understand the anime market in the UK is apparently utter crap. The result is that no one has been given the right to stream there where as Funimation has the right in America, and Canada, and even Australia has Madmen getting the rights.
Xagor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:40 pm Reply with quote
Yeah I knew about the Madman Entertainment one. I had assumed that up until now no one had bothered to get it for the UK since the Funimation version was open to us. This of course erm no longer holds up...
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:50 am Reply with quote
For the 1st time, I don't really have much to say... I really just didn't enjoy this episode much at all. Of all of the episodes so far, this one has felt the most like a quick recap kind of thing to me. Usually I can at least appreciate where they carried something over from the manga well, or even when they add in their own original touches from time to time, but this episode really fell flat for me, and I just felt like they made the wrong decisions with what to add and remove. I don't feel like it offered anything truly new or worthwhile at all, and I'd rather just watch the 1st series' rendition of these events and pretend that Wrath's appearances are just Ed having delusions as a result of some kind of crazy jungle disease he's caught, or something. I'll put it this way - I'd rather watch the Rush Valley episode over again, and that is one of my least favorite parts of the story, whereas Izumi's bits are some of my absolute favorites. Meh.

I'll stop being such a downer and halt my ranting now, sorry, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Xagor wrote:

I found this on Twitter

http://twitter.com/Funimation

and it talks about how this should only be temporary, and service should resume to people in the UK eventually.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 40 of 64