• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Anime Sales Drop Only 2% in Q1 2009 vs. Q1 2008

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:54 am Reply with quote
I think DVD sales will only continue to decline.
Why? Not only do people have less money to spend than ever before, but there are also various other ditribution options emerging such as Blu-ray, and most importantly, digital distribution.
Kinda expected FUNi to have a larger market share though considering they must be pumping out more than 10x the amount of stuff other companies do...
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:09 am Reply with quote
Given that DVD sales on the whole dropped 14% for Q1 2009 vs Q1 2008 http://www.cepro.com/article/study_blu_ray_sales_increase_105_dvd_sales_fall_14_in_q1/, and a craptacular economy, this is relatively good (and somewhat surprising) news for the industry.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:12 am Reply with quote
The anime industry was doomed once their market shifted from young adults who have control over their own money, to teenagers who can't even legally hold a credit card.

Okay, "doomed" is a bit of an exaggeration. But let's face it, a hobby that based around buying lots of videos is an expensive hobby. And as the market gets younger, they're just not going to be able to afford it.

------RM
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:18 am Reply with quote
If you've ever checked out any of HyugaHinata's orders in the "What did you just buy" thread in the Retail forum, you won't be surprised that anime sales only dipped 2 per cent! Very Happy

But this is good news. It seems to indicate that even in rough economic times, the precipitous slide in NA anime DVD sales of the last couple of years appears to finally be bottoming out.
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:20 am Reply with quote
Well, I guess it's better than another 11% drop, but 2% in addition to 11% makes 13% overall in two years.

In other words: It's still a decline.

But, expected as all DVD sales are in decline.

FUNimation better hurry up and figure out what to do because 40% of nothing is still nothing and this is one company I don't want to see go the way of Geneon.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:26 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:
Why? Not only do people have less money to spend than ever before, but there are also various other ditribution options emerging such as Blu-ray, and most importantly, digital distribution.

Well, the more important aspect is the survival of the video format, so Blu-Ray doesn't really hurt DVDs aside from advancing a higher video format.

Top 10 anime surprised me pleasantly. The top 3 were obvious, but Ouran doing so well is great. Also glad Bandai/FUNi are still profiting from Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho, and FMA. Bandai mentioned a while back that Code Geass sales were going to be important for the company, so it being in the top 10 is a good sign. Kinda wish they'd go back to doing top 25 anime though, I'd like to see where One Piece is on the list (last 25 list had it at #13).

Top 25 manga, glad to see Tsubasa has a big crowd, and Viz's One Piece is still doing well despite a painfully slow release. No Gantz or Gintama makes me sad though. Top 10 shonen and shojo are about what I expected.

Anyway, hopefully these good signs will quiet down the doomsayers a bit. Once the economy kicks back up eventually, things should start improving overall.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:37 am Reply with quote
vulcanraven01 wrote:

The thing with Blu-ray is that most people don't really need or want Blu-ray right now, plus there is not that much anime that has been released on Blu-ray. Most people are still content with DVD's I know I am. With DD (Digital Distribution), people may still decided to buy the DVD's a of a show that they have watched on DD if they liked it enough to decided "I want to spend my money on this, or I want to watch this more than just online, I want a physical copy."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
braves

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:45 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:
Well, I guess it's better than another 11% drop, but 2% in addition to 11% makes 13% overall in two years.

But that's not how the math works out....

It's a two percent decline from last year's total, not a two percent decline from the total of 2 years ago. The actual number of sales lost in comparison are probably very different- as in, the losses in '09 are less.

Sorry, just had to nitpick.

That aside, the news that FUNi has 40% market share isn't surprising.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:53 am Reply with quote
braves wrote:
But that's not how the math works out....

Sorry, just had to nitpick.

No problem. I was just being simple as the last thing readers want to do is think about a math problem.
Wink
ninjapet

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:58 am Reply with quote
About the market being ranged to younger kids

I fit the teen age range and I still buy at least 2 anime box sets a year and at least 10 volumes of manga a year.

You have to understand I rarely get money and I still have a year to go before I can get a job. So please don't say younger fans don't have money to buy things.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:07 am Reply with quote
Seeing as the need for the concept of entertainment content on a physical media format is going the way of the doodoo, this is not surprising. When so many are getting their entertainment fix via the intarweb. I can see a time in the not too distant future when one wants to show off their shelves, they will be virtual shelves, and not pictures of real ones. Sadly I will be with the rest of the DooVDoos of DVD anime fans. Crying or Very sad
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:14 am Reply with quote
hissatsu01 wrote:
Given that DVD sales on the whole dropped 14% for Q1 2009 vs Q1 2008 http://www.cepro.com/article/study_blu_ray_sales_increase_105_dvd_sales_fall_14_in_q1/, and a craptacular economy, this is relatively good (and somewhat surprising) news for the industry.
Indeed. It almost got to an increase.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, I guess with all the doomsaying and the lousy economy I was expecting this to be much worse (my own personal purchasing of DVDs has dropped off massively this quarter from last thanks to a loss in income).

There is another worrisome thing to me, mostly that one company makes up such a large share of purchases. While I think it's too early to blow the sirens of monopoly, the loss of Geneon and the major decline of ADV are not healthy for the market.

Other things that bug me? That Afro Samurai is the top-selling anime DVD (not a very good show) and that nothing by Urasawa made the top 25 manga titles (I'm a fan).
bayoab

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:37 am Reply with quote
PetrifiedJello wrote:

In other words: It's still a decline.

But, expected as all DVD sales are in decline.
And it's completely meaningless without context of what changed and how it changed.

There was the period where anime DVDs fell 11%, but regular DVDs also fell 10%. One would conclude there that it was overall market contraction.

There was also the "30%" drop which actually wasn't 30% when you did out the math after adjusting for things like FF7:AC and Geneon's death.

Also, calling you out (again) on that math just because that's just bad math. It's <13% (12.78% to be exact)
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:53 am Reply with quote
bayoab wrote:
Also, calling you out (again) on that math just because that's just bad math. It's <13% (12.78% to be exact)

Because the difference between 12.78% and 13% is so huge. Rolling Eyes

I know, I know, the real problem is how the person came up with 13%. Here's how you'd do it:
If you take 2007 as 100%, then the 11% fall makes 2008 89%.
But then for a 2% decline from 2008, you multiple 89% by 98%, rather than taking off another 2% from the 2007 total (since the decline is from 2008 and not 2007), which leaves you with 87.22% or a 12.78% decline over two years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4