• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
Fawfulhasfury wrote:
A beginning of a Brotherhood/Original Series comparison.

I'll make this short: The animation in FMA:BH is better, but it has a *lot* more problems.
The art and style are completely inconsistent. In the first series it may had some glitches here and there but it still was a lot more consistent. Also, i did re-watched recently the entire first series again, and yes, it also had some foolish cartoonish humor, but unlike BH, it dosen't use it *every few seconds* and after every emotional moment. Actually, what make it better was that the director of the first FMA was actually smart and he want to stay faithful to the manga's style but he know it dosen't work most of the time so he focus more on the emotional and dark stuff, which was a very smart choice.
p3rseus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:40 pm Reply with quote
They have improved but the animation in episode 3 of Brotherhood was downright horrible. What I like more about BH is the fight sequences which are more in-between than in the original anime and well done most of the time (not ep3). The first one created a more serious atmosphere so when dramatic things happened it had effect ( spoiler[ when Scar almost destroys Ed and his brother, in the 5th lab how Ed was almost push to kill all those people ] , haven't seen something to that effect on this version) , in this one when something serious happens it's hard to take it seriously, probably due in part to how they try to push comedy every few seconds.
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:15 pm Reply with quote
@RhymesWithEmpty - It may not be fruitful, but it's what people are doing the most everywhere I look. It's always "Wahhh. The music isn't as good as Series 1. Wahhh. The animation isn't as good as Series 1. Wahhhh. The characterizations aren't as good as Series 1."

I mean what happened to the people begging for a manga transition to anime? Did they crawl back into the woodwork out of fear? I'm hard pressed to see this new series getting the praise it deserves as an adaptation. What's worse. Changing the ENTIRE storyline halfway through with gems like Rose being the leader of a cult and Alchemy drawing on dead people from our world, or making important but not nearly as huge cuts like Ling and Co. Vs. Homonculi.

@KPK - Honestly, it's somewhat noticeable in the Dublith episodes and episodes 2 and 3, but other than that I've been at a loss to notice most of what you guys are saying. I mean the problems with facial animations for one thing don't look nearly as bad as in Series 1. Don't even get me started on nose placement; in some palces it looked like it was drawn by an American. And you know how most Americans draw anime noses. REALLY FAR DOWN ON THE FACE.

Episode 3 had horrible animation, but so did Episode 19 of series 1. Keep in mind I'm watching this in HD, and the old series problems definitely stand out more on a digital screen than on a TV screen.

Eye nose placement just seems to be a FMA curse. As far as the backgrounds, again, they look very similar to the ones in Brotherhood, except the ones in Brotherhood are crisper and clearer, and I think they made a mistake of not using really any depth of field in B. And if I look at it, the background work in the fight with Slicer in Series 1 is downright horrible. The room is SO narrow compared to the room in Brotherhood and the fight just ends up being moving back and forth with no space to really get around too much. In a way it's like comparing Batman to Spiderman. One is more realistic and darker, but the other is more stylized and pretty to look at.

I understand that you're making these assertions because FMA is such an important series (it's MY favorite), but most of them are just the result of too much nitpicking and also probably of watching the series on a digital screen, where flaws are easier to pick up on.
I bet once Adult Swim picks up the series, or if it does, and you watch it on a TV, the graphical flaws will be harder to pick out. The biggest flaw the series has is pacing, but now that it's starting to finally slow down there's no reason to pick on that anymore.

As far as the comedy, it's not that there wasn't a lot of it, its just that there was so much more going on in the serious realm that there wasn't much time for characters to stop and make jokes. As this series progresses you'll be seeing that more and more as well, until comedy becomes almost nonexistant. Really, a LOT of people wanted to see the comedy in the manga animated, and lets face it, there is a LOT of comedy in the manga, but as the manga went on, comedy became less and less apparent until there barely is any at all. I think now that the series is starting to really take off, you'll be surprised with it. I do agree that Brotherhood kind of shoved the comedy in your face too much. Look at Full Metal Panic: Fumopffu(sp?). The comedy in that was done with normal animation during situations that called for it, and it felt realistic. In Brotherhood, I can agree at times it takes you out of it. But once again, as the series goes on, I believe you'll see this less and less.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Fawfulhasfury wrote:

Believe me, it's not going to be *that* hard. Especially not with the fact that Ed's faces look different almost every scene. Oh and is pupils are always curve.. that's really bizarre.

Also, you can't really compare the two shows, animation quality wise. I mean, of course the animation from the 2009 series will be better in quality terms than the series from 2003. Still, and again, at least the first show had consistency most of the time in her art and style.

And by the way, did we read the same manga, because the last time i checked, it still had alot of humor in it.
Fawfulhasfury

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:12 pm Reply with quote
It had some but the humor was mostly replaced by action and the progression of the story.

And yes, it is ridiculous to compare the two since they're so far apart year wise, but people do anyway, and I DO have to defend against that.

In the latest Episode of Brotherhood, episode 20, by the way, a lot of manga humor was cut in favor of seriousness and story progression.

spoiler[The scene where Ed asks Al and Winry to remember the past] is there, but it was significantly shortened to one memory. You can either complain that your favorite joke didn't make it in this time around or be happy it was taken out to make way for the more serious events going on.

Also, Edwards laughter spoiler[ at the discovery concerning his mother]will haunt my nightmares. Romi Paku is amazing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kpk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:33 pm Reply with quote
Fawfulhasfury wrote:
1. It had some but the humor was mostly replaced by action and the progression of the story.

2. And yes, it is ridiculous to compare the two since they're so far apart year wise, but people do anyway, and I DO have to defend against that.

3. In the latest Episode of Brotherhood, episode 20, by the way, a lot of manga humor was cut in favor of seriousness and story progression.
spoiler[The scene where Ed asks Al and Winry to remember the past] is there, but it was significantly shortened to one memory. You can either complain that your favorite joke didn't make it in this time around or be happy it was taken out to make way for the more serious events going on.

4. Also, Edwards laughter spoiler[ at the discovery concerning his mother]will haunt my nightmares. Romi Paku is amazing.

1. Well, yeah, but you know, with all the cuts they are probably going to make i'm pretty sure it will have a lot of humor in it (at least that's what i presume).

2. We agree here Wink

3. It was probably because they couldn't skip on that part so they had to sacrifice the funny parts. It doesn't really mean that it's a beginning of a new direction for the show (although i really hope it is).

4. True, but most of the time in this show she's really overreacting with her voice acting, so most of the time she's really annoying as Ed. I really hope she'll calm down soon and be more like she was in the first series, because right now i can't stand her (most of the time).
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:39 pm Reply with quote
Look, I may be critical of the new series, but I want to get it straight that I'm actually enjoying it overall. My only big problems were the speeding through the Dublith/Greed arc, and my usual problems with the Xingese characters. The rest are just little nags and nitpicks I'd probably have discussing any show.

I can't really say much about the newest episode until I can get it with subtitles, but I actually sort of feel good about the shortening of the more belabored over-explaining of volume 11 in the manga that made it one of my least favorite volumes. Well, that volume and the Rush Valley one. Urgh.

I just don't like them shortening the Hohenheim scenes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Fawfulhasfury wrote:
@RhymesWithEmpty - It may not be fruitful, but it's what people are doing the most everywhere I look. It's always "Wahhh. The music isn't as good as Series 1. Wahhh. The animation isn't as good as Series 1. Wahhhh. The characterizations aren't as good as Series 1."

True, true. And I know I've made a lot of comparisons between the two series in the past - I think that's just something that is inevitably going to happen, and has to happen, really. But I do feel that I've been making an honest attempt to step away from that to compare the series more to the manga, now that it's getting into the manga-only material, or even just to look at it based purely on its own merits. And I do feel like there is a lot of discussion to be had there - it's just a shame that all people seem to want to do is talk about it in the context of the 1st series.

Maybe the fact that this thread has only really livened up again now that you've brought that matter to the table again speaks to this series' strength - or at least, the impact that those 1st 14 episodes had on it. And it's sad, because I feel like this show still has a lot of potential, and I agree with you on a lot of things. Yes, Brotherhood, overall, has better animation, but that's not really surprising. Yeah, the 1st series wasn't flawless, I don't think anybody is saying it was. I still think the 1st series simply did a lot of things better up until this point, but I think Brotherhood has pulled far enough away from that point and is doing well enough right now that all of that doesn't matter so much at the moment.

Quote:
I mean what happened to the people begging for a manga transition to anime? Did they crawl back into the woodwork out of fear? I'm hard pressed to see this new series getting the praise it deserves as an adaptation. What's worse. Changing the ENTIRE storyline halfway through with gems like Rose being the leader of a cult and Alchemy drawing on dead people from our world, or making important but not nearly as huge cuts like Ling and Co. Vs. Homonculi.

Well, seeing as I liked those changes, I'm going to have to say that cutting Ling and Ran Fan vs. Envy and Gluttony would be worse Razz

Quote:
As far as the comedy, it's not that there wasn't a lot of it, its just that there was so much more going on in the serious realm that there wasn't much time for characters to stop and make jokes. As this series progresses you'll be seeing that more and more as well, until comedy becomes almost nonexistant. Really, a LOT of people wanted to see the comedy in the manga animated, and lets face it, there is a LOT of comedy in the manga, but as the manga went on, comedy became less and less apparent until there barely is any at all. I think now that the series is starting to really take off, you'll be surprised with it. I do agree that Brotherhood kind of shoved the comedy in your face too much. Look at Full Metal Panic: Fumopffu(sp?). The comedy in that was done with normal animation during situations that called for it, and it felt realistic. In Brotherhood, I can agree at times it takes you out of it. But once again, as the series goes on, I believe you'll see this less and less.

Uuuh, yeah, what kpk said - there is still plenty of humor in the manga. And I have no problem with them including it in the anime. In fact, I think there are some jokes they cut that could've been included. It's just an issue of timing, and, unfortunately, I've gotta say that poor timing has been one of Brotherhood's major weaknesses - not just with comedy, but with many things. It seems like a directorial problem, or something, I don't know. It does, however, seem to be getting better as we go along, so I can only assume that the director has gotten more used to it as he's gone along. And also, I think comparing Brotherhood and FUMOFFU is a bit of a jump, although I guess I see what you're saying. It would certainly be nice if the humor was more seamless.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:03 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, after a while the first series just removed a lot of the charm of the series. The most obvious is the abysmal Rose rape storyline where Rose has lost all personality, and all Ed does is whine about it constantly.

Having humor in a serious storyline isn't bad, it gives character charm. Not only would Olivier not be my favorite character if Hiromu removed the humor, I wouldn't like her at all. The humor softens her, and makes her a lot more likeable because of it.

I don't understand where this idea that humor, and charm is bad, while people constantly complaining about their past is good. That's the reason I could never get very far with Evangelion, The only likeable cast member was the god damn penguin.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Honestly, after a while the first series just removed a lot of the charm of the series. The most obvious is the abysmal Rose rape storyline where Rose has lost all personality, and all Ed does is whine about it constantly.

Yeah, because Rose was so relevant and had such personality beforehand? If anything, it helped test her resolve, pushing the limits of Edward's advice, and even bouncing back to him at a time when he was freaked out by the appearance of Sloth. As for "whining about it constantly", Ed never really said anything about what happened to Rose, it was all implied and he just sort of understood without mentioning it.

The only time he regarded it is when Rose got her voice back and he thanked her.

So, in other words, not only did Rose remain a relevant character, but she even helped Edward develop, instead of simply being a one-off character.

As for Olivia, I would probably enjoy her even if she didn't have the humor, though I do agree that it definitely makes her more likeable.

Anyway, we're going to disagree on the first series, no matter what, and if we get into another protracted debate, it'll only waste more time than can be spent discussing this one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:29 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Anyway, we're going to disagree on the first series, no matter what, and if we get into another protracted debate, it'll only waste more time than can be spent discussing this one.

Says he who has done little else but compare the two series . . .

Anyway, just watched episode twenty, and I thought it was a very strange episode indeed. The music towards the end did not fit the scene at all in my opinion. And Winry's last line elicited a reaction from me of "Huh? Did she really just say that?". Edward seemed to get back to Central a little fast if you ask me. And what was with him throwing up? The subs I watched had Al saying a very weird thing, something about not wanting to spend his nights alone anymore. Isn't he still a bit young to be sleeping with, er, female acquaintances?

Anyway, it did have some important points and events in it; Hohenheim and his warning, the truth of what the boys actually transmutated, Edward's realisation that Al's body is still in the Gate. Plot-wise, and also with respect to character development, this episode hit the mark. It's just the way the episode was handled in a larger sense that seemed off.
happymoose

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:21 am Reply with quote
snip

Last edited by happymoose on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Fawfulhasfury wrote:

I mean what happened to the people begging for a manga transition to anime? Did they crawl back into the woodwork out of fear?

I am one of those manga fans but I stopped posting because I guess I am less enthusiastic about this adaption.

It's not bad and it is enjoyable to see certain scenes animated (like Roy Vs Lust of course) but overall I just don't feel like Brotherhood is doing the manga justice. And now that we are really past what the first anime covered I can't be as forgiving. Of course I understand that not every scene or line can be included. But I still feel they cut too much or change the order of things for no reason which lessens the impact of certain things. I can understand why someone who has not read the manga might enjoy it and I am happy that people are getting to experience the manga storyline one way or another.

But as someone who has read the manga for so long it doesn't really add much for me besides seeing some nicely animated fights and hearing the dialog spoken. If anything I get more from re-reading the actual manga chapters than watching the chapters animated.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Having just seen episode 20 with subtitles, I have a few thoughts to share on it.

It would have been a little richer if more of those little moments between Hohenheim and Edward were included. Hohenheim just seems like a mysterious douchebag in this episode. In the manga he comes off as being more weird and removed, muttering to himself and making observations on things while Edward is trying to express his anger towards him. Hohenheim is supposed to appear sort of flakey. Here, he's just a dick.

I thought what they were going for with Hohenheim's first apperance is, they presented you little hints about him, how he abandoned his family and his wife died soon after, obviously intending the reader to hate him, but when you finally meet him, it's hard to be angry because he acts so weird. So, you become more unnerved than upset at the character. I guess that was just my point of view.

The scene at the "grave" of the "thing" just didn't feel as important as it did in the manga. It's funny, though, that if I didn't read the manga, I'd probably have thought this scene was just a big "screw you" to the first series, since Pinako even mentions that the bones are that of a man.

I found myself rolling my eyes with the scene with Winry upset and the scene at the end with Alphonse renewing his vow to get their bodies back. Is it just me, or do they do that a lot? I thought they decided after Gracia talked to them that they'd continue? I mean, they don't have to actually SAY they're going to continue. It feels like a lot of unnecessary dialogue, since we can see for ourselves that they're continuing, and the characters themselves can. Making these big, grand vows aloud just comes off as being a little corny.

At least they cut down some of the overexplaining volume 11 did.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:54 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

1. I thought what they were going for with Hohenheim's first apperance is, they presented you little hints about him, how he abandoned his family and his wife died soon after, obviously intending the reader to hate him, but when you finally meet him, it's hard to be angry because he acts so weird. So, you become more unnerved than upset at the character. I guess that was just my point of view.

2. I found myself rolling my eyes with the scene with Winry upset and the scene at the end with Alphonse renewing his vow to get their bodies back. Is it just me, or do they do that a lot? I thought they decided after Gracia talked to them that they'd continue? I mean, they don't have to actually SAY they're going to continue. It feels like a lot of unnecessary dialogue, since we can see for ourselves that they're continuing, and the characters themselves can. Making these big, grand vows aloud just comes off as being a little corny.

1. No, it wasn't just your point of view.

2. Yeah, like i said, they are trying too hard in the emotional parts.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 48 of 64