• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mobile Suit Gundam 00 - Sci-Fi broadcast (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:55 pm Reply with quote
troizen wrote:
You're wrong about it being unacceptable for networks to cut unimportant portions of a program. it happens all the time.

First, they're unimportant to YOU. But to others, they may be vital links between plot points. As long as SOMEBODY thinks they should be there, they should be there, because they've already been animated, they're already there to begin with. If they were just extra scenes added for DVD release, you can make an argument for including them or not, but if they're in the original run of the program, excluding them shouldn't be tolerated.

Movies are sometmes edited for broadcasting, but that's a different issue, as movies aren't set to a certain time restraint like television episodes.

For some reason, Adult Swim has no trouble at all fitting in commercials. They may speed up the closing credits from time to time (which I also object to) but at least the content of the program isn't cut up.

Do you pay attention to the number of commercials being aired on SyFy? It's an onslaught.

This post has been brought to you by Lysol disenfectant spray.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
troizen

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Look I see your point you want as "pure" anime watching experience as possible. and I commend you for that. All I am saying is that if the only way I can see Gundam 00 an television is for it to have horrible commercial placement than i can tolerate that. And as it has been noted before in this forum these scenes were not cut out of the show they were just moved to before the credits or at the beginning of the next episode.
daedelus

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:08 am Reply with quote
Slowzhand wrote:
This is starting to sound like soapboxing to me. Albeit sarcastic... from both of you.

I may be wrong, but isn't this the Gundam 00 thread?

Not the 'should TV Channels cut programs to run commercials' thread...

I agree. I believe both of your points have been made, so can we get back to the show itself, please?

In less than 48 hours there will be two brand new(to some of us) episodes. So let's have at it, shall we?
The Third Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:23 am Reply with quote
I actually prefer the UC timeline over all of the others but 00 is quite entertaining so far
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:25 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I've had it with this guy too. I'm confident that he's exposed himself as such a crybaby that noone respects his opinion anymore. One last thing, penguin-boy: if this is such an injustice, what have you actually *done* to make things right? If you don't think what you're getting is truly Gundam00, sue for false advertising. If you disagree with the number of commercials being aired, write the sponsors to tell them you won't be supporting their products until this is corrected. If you think Sunrise will take exception, write them and draw their attention to it. Or, organize the fans into a big letter-writing campaign to raise awareness. Buy stock in the companies involved and show up at their shareholders' meeting with your concerns. Hell, if you're good at that stuff, buy a LOT of stock and ORDER them to do things your way.

To hear you say it, this is a major, major offense against the fans and the creators. Well, men don't just sigh sadly and look the other way when they see a crime in progress, they call the cops. (Or they jump in and play superhero, but that stretches the analogy a bit much.) There are any number of ways that you could change this state of affairs- if not by yourself, then you could raise awareness and get a fan army on your side. (You could even- heaven forbid- STOP WATCHING THE SHOW.)

But what, exactly, have you done? You've griped about it on a message board that a handful of fans read and which is not considered a venue for discussion of serious issues. If you truly believe this is an injustice, show that you have the courage of your convictions and do something. Until you do, you're just another whiny fanboy.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:06 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Until you do, you're just another whiny fanboy.

No, he's a whiny fanboy with a point. I too am annoyed at how companies always seem able to stuff more ads into an arbitrary timeslot, especially when said ads aren't even any good. And I'm disgusted at how Gundam 00 has had pieces taken out of it to make way for said commercials. But I haven't been posting here for two reasons; one is that to me Gundam 00 - especially the second season - is little better than Gundam SEED Destiny; ouch. Secondly, I already have another topic to bitch and moan about, and that's Endless Eight. It's quite hard to hate two things simultaneously, though God knows I've tried. Well, he would know if he actually existed . . .

However, penguintruth, you've made your point. Extensively and thoroughly, though given this apathetic crowd not very persuasively. I know from past experiences that arguing further isn't going to help your cause. Best to leave it alone, at least for a little while.

This is dtm42 Peacecraft, signing out.

Last edited by dtm42 on Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:10 pm Reply with quote
I will say that annoying commercials are a huge reason I don't watch anime on TV at all. That and my lack of ability to maintain any sort of schedule for TV viewing for the last couple of years.

I don't mind commercials if they are well done, or if they are non obtrusive, but I'm finding more of them to be as obtrusive as possible, to have nothing to do at all with the content I'm watching (or anything similar/related) and to be extremely offensive or just plain annoying.

I despise the desire of everyone to sell medications to me, specifically regarding "ED" or to try to get me to watch a really disgusting toilet humor show when I'm watching something nothing like that.
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Woah! Action aplenty tonight with these latest episodes. I was on the edge of my seat during the Memento Mory assault. I wasn't at all sure what was going to happen.

The battle between spoiler[Setsuna and Ali] was epic! I'm not surprised at the outcome considering where we are in the season.

I also like the new op. Both visually and musically.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
I keep forgetting how annoying Marina's song was. I mean, the song itself is sort of nice (except the dubbed version, apparently), but as a plot device it seems a little too Macross-y. At least they downplay it later on.

What was with Nena's dialogue? Who wrote the script for the dub? "Dude, you're a stud!"? "Nena likes what she sees!"? My eyes rolled so far, they fell out of my head. Like the voices themselves aren't bad enough.

(Who even uses the word "stud" anymore? What is this, the 1970s?)

The Memento Mori assault.... ehhh, it's the Death Star trench scene.

Also, if Ribbons wants the 00 gundam that badly, he should have just killed Setsuna right there and taken it. There was plenty of time to do so before Setsuna escaped.

I'm starting to remember the problems season 2 had.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Well, with a title like "Prelude to Tragedy", coupled with the fact the A-Laws seem to be willing to do anything to push their agenda, I can't help but be a little nervous about what may happen next.
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:00 am Reply with quote
Nice to see the Awww-Laws using Soviet-style disinformation regarding the coup, spoiler[doctoring the pix & vids to show the rebels gunning down the civilians instead of the automatons.] Stalin would be impressed...

I'm interested in seeing what Sergei is going to do & which path he'll really follow with the coup, he is one of my favorite characters this season.

I didn't know that Tieiria really spoiler[offed Bring last week, I know he took down the suit Bring was in as he revealed Seraphim but I figured since Bring was an Innovator he had one of the ejection capsules the other Innovators had used. Surprising to see an Innovator gone so soon...]
daedelus

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:24 pm Reply with quote
It just occurred to me that Anew spoiler[is probably an unwitting mole, as opposed to my previous thought that she was aware that she was acting as a homing beacon.] Of course, I could be wrong.

It was quite a sight how everyonespoiler[stopped fighting each other and joined together in destroying the solar panels.]

The A-Laws ability to whitewash truly astounds!
B-503_MIA

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 2:44 am Reply with quote
More fun tonight, I think when the series' focus turns to action-based episodes it really shines...

spoiler[NOOooooo..... Not Sergei!!! I did not see that coming... I really thought they baited us into thinking that Marie would take the hit, now she's back to being Soma ]

spoiler[A second Memento Mori??? There can't be any more of them, can there? The attack Setsuna used to take it down was pretty slick though... Did another Innovator already bite the dust too? ]

Looking forward to next week, Celestial Being is looking to spoiler[capture an Innovator & a big battle looms...]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:30 am Reply with quote
I like how Gabe Khouth does the portrayal of Saji's pushover but good hearted character. I feel bad for Saji that his girlfriend is on the opposing team.
LordofNoe

PostPosted: Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Big Gundam fan and I just now saw this was up? For shame...

B-503_MIA wrote:
spoiler[A second Memento Mori??? There can't be any more of them, can there? The attack Setsuna used to take it down was pretty slick though... Did another Innovator already bite the dust too? ]]

That's what I'd like to know. Given how they performed early on, I was expecting a lot more from them. I'm also wondering if spoiler[the plan to capture an Innovator] would really be that much trouble, given what the 00 Raizer can do. Well, then again, killing and capturing are two very different things. I'm looking forward to next week (if my college TV gets Syfy), I can't predict what will happen next!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 20