• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What's Happening with ADV Films

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I understand the restructuring and all that. What I don't understand is why they needed to do it under four different companies, five if you include Sentai(<--debatable add-in)? I mean why not just restructure under one umbrella company (possibly two to take care of the Anime Network). Any insight on that would be much appreciated.

Once you start a different corporate entity then the slate should be clean from the get-go. Unless there are laws in Texas of which I am unaware.

Separation of assets probably. If company A owns asset 1, and company B handles the asset for company A, a future bankruptcy of company B won't affect the asset.

Could also be that they needed outside investment to make this work, so the new investors might own the assets (AEsir Holdings owns the IP and licenses) while the company owned by the old owner (Ledford) has an exclusive right to market the titles. They then split the revenue.

There you go, two possible reasons to setup multiple companies. There are more...

-t
child of Lilith

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
There you go, two possible reasons to setup multiple companies. There are more...

Like say, having five different companies so a certain, possibly vengeful, former Japanese partner will have a hard time deciding where to strike in a attempt to collect on possible past revenues?
John Casey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:03 pm Reply with quote
Soooo! Who's ready to see some of ADV's finer and more popular titles get price scalped all the way to frakking Broadway? ...Cause they gots the ADV logo on em. :3

I'm honestly not terribly worried about this situation itself, since it seems like it'll get handled. What pisses me off is that those godless, bear-revering price scalpers will take callous advantage of this. Remember Geneon? I remember some of those Black Lagoon used DVD prices reaching in the $48 range, despite the very fact that Funi was simultaneously re-releasing the exact same DVDs... Reason for the price scalp...those were the "original versions."

Geneon:

Funi:

Well, golly gosh will I ever be darned. The difference is so vast and distinct!
omoikane

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:10 pm Reply with quote
Great article explaining what's going on and to deal with all the misinformation out there.

However I have to threadcrap on one thing--the whole "editoralize" bit. I think the original news article in question screwed up because it used the phrase "shut down" when nowhere in the press release or in the facts cited in the article itself said anything about ADV Films shutting down, and that bit of sensationalist conclusion-jumping is a BIG ROOT CAUSE of the confusion now that's spreading on the internet. If someone has heard the phrase somewhere and used it in that article, it wasn't cited in the article. Maybe it was just mis-worded, but if it was, it was a really poor choice of words. Anyways, it encouraged people to jump to the wrong conclusion!

Which is to say I think you should really stick closer to the "no editorializing" bit if you're going to use that excuse to split off a much more informative and helpful post away from the misleading news article. It might be better if you just combine the two.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
PetrifiedJello wrote:

Well, the good news is I'm going to have no choice but to break down and the buy Clannad and Aria sub only DVDs as there's no way in hell they'll get a dub anytime soon.

Aria is a Nozomi title, not an AD Vision title.

On the bright side, you do have someone interested in buying Aria Laughing
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:35 pm Reply with quote
I'm with you on what you said in the article, Chris. Leaving the logo/branding on the anime would be a sensible move. Even though the shows will still be with more or less the same company, a new logo throws people off. It's always easier to leave what's visible to the consumer the same as a way to say, "Yes we've changed, but everything you care about is the same."

I have no idea if this will happen, or if it even can, but if the option is there I say leave the ADV Films branding.
AJ (LordNikon)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
I understand the restructuring and all that. What I don't understand is why they needed to do it under four different companies, five if you include Sentai(<--debatable add-in)? I mean why not just restructure under one umbrella company (possibly two to take care of the Anime Network). Any insight on that would be much appreciated.

Once you start a different corporate entity then the slate should be clean from the get-go. Unless there are laws in Texas of which I am unaware.

Makes things a hell of a lot easier to CYA in case anyone comes looking for back credits just in case one said company has defaulted.
LordRobin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Re: What "ADV" stands for.

Back in the early days (10+ years ago), when AD Vision was still selling tapes under the name "AD Vision", John Ledford and Matt Greenfield would occasionally tell the story of the name's origin at conventions.

The story I heard was that "AD" didn't stand for anything.

A.D. Vision began as two guys trying to get the US rights to Devil Hunter Yoko. During negotiations via telephone, the party on the other end of the line inquired as to the name of the company they were dealing with. It was at this point that the American negotiator (I think it was Ledford) realized that they had never bothered to come up with a name.

Needing a name immediately, his eyes flicked around the room, finding a stack of anime laserdiscs. The one on top was AD Police. "AD..." he said, and then said the first word that popped into his head, "...Vision!"

Again, this was the story they were telling circa maybe 1995. Since then, the story stopped being told and the meaning of "AD" became an official mystery (I'm guessing because the idea that they named themselves, in part, after a series that they didn't own the rights to was problematic).

------RM
zhir

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:54 pm Reply with quote
John Casey wrote:
Soooo! Who's ready to see some of ADV's finer and more popular titles get price scalped all the way to frakking Broadway? ...Cause they gots the ADV logo on em. :3

I'm honestly not terribly worried about this situation itself, since it seems like it'll get handled. What pisses me off is that those godless, bear-revering price scalpers will take callous advantage of this. Remember Geneon? I remember some of those Black Lagoon used DVD prices reaching in the $48 range, despite the very fact that Funi was simultaneously re-releasing the exact same DVDs... Reason for the price scalp...those were the "original versions."

Geneon:

Funi:

Well, golly gosh will I ever be darned. The difference is so vast and distinct!

I don't know WHY that would piss you off. Just buy the Funi version. Do you have a problem with people selling something for what some people will apparently pay for it?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:25 am Reply with quote
Thank you for posting something to clear up all of the confusion and misinformation, since it looked like way too many people solely read the title and not the article itself. It was very well done and informative, even including some bits on the ownership of the pre-breakup ventures that I didn't know before. On that note, if Sojitz still owned 20% of ADV even after their partnership was cut off, what became of their share after ADV closed down? Would they get anything (money-wise) as a result or be affected by it in anyway? If the company isn't really going anywhere, then does Sojitz have any right to be suspicious enough of it to take any action against them, or would it be out of their hands as minority stakeholders?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:15 am Reply with quote
Sam Murai wrote:
Thank you for posting something to clear up all of the confusion and misinformation, since it looked like way too many people solely read the title and not the article itself. It was very well done and informative, even including some bits on the ownership of the pre-breakup ventures that I didn't know before. On that note, if Sojitz still owned 20% of ADV even after their partnership was cut off, what became of their share after ADV closed down? Would they get anything (money-wise) as a result or be affected by it in anyway? If the company isn't really going anywhere, then does Sojitz have any right to be suspicious enough of it to take any action against them, or would it be out of their hands as minority stakeholders?

There isn't much of anything that Sojitz would be able to do since they represent a minority of the ownership. As for their share, unless they are involved with the new companies they will have what other owners get when a company ends, whatever is left after creditors get their share. Oftentimes this amounts to little if anything since the assets are sold to pay debts. After they're paid there is a pecking order. Partnerships pay out according to how much each partner owns and corporations pay people with preferred stock first and then people with common stock. Usually by this point there isn't anything left for them.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:21 am Reply with quote
Faceman wrote:
Is it just me, or does this sound like "The Company Formally Known as ADV," a la Prince?

That's pretty much how I see it. Considering it seems ADV people are quite possibly behind these new companies it looks more like a way for them to get out of the raw deal they were in, some by their own accord, in an attempt to basically stay alive. Just with some new names and having different divisions split up and not all in one roof. Might help to prevent further Sojitz type problems where they loose a percentage of their titles should things go south.
Dr.G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:25 am Reply with quote
basically this is just a business move and nothing more. Just from now on you won't see anymore ADV stamps on dvds anymore.

My guess is that they just had too much crap holding them down so this move was done in order to clean themselves up.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:30 am Reply with quote
Dr.G wrote:
basically this is just a business move and nothing more. Just from now on you won't see anymore ADV stamps on dvds anymore.

My guess is that they just had too much crap holding them down so this move was done in order to clean themselves up.

To me the big question is is it too little too late or can they actually become a viable money making company(s) again? I mean on paper this sounds like a good move to clear out baggage but I have to wonder if they waited too long to do it. Will this actually allow them to bounce back and become profitable again or is it just giving them a temporary fix to allow them to limp on a bit further until they completely bleed out. I hope they can make things work personally. Really don't want to see any other companies bowing out or people losing jobs.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 am Reply with quote
Let's hope ADV is more active dead and in peices than it was while "alive" in the past few years.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7