• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
ANN's Encyclopedia entry for Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood series claims that Brice Armstrong is still playing Dr. Marcoh, and MAL backs that up. English Wikipedia on the other hand doesn't mention who the VA for Dr. Marcoh is for this series.

Just throwing it out there as a discussion point.
hyoumirai

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2010 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
I wish I had paid attention to the credits. Whoever is playing him, this Marcoh sounds a bit different from the previous one.
The credits shown were inaccurate anyway. The correct credits were shown for the first four episodes, but episodes five and six have episode four's credits shown instead. I checked the fifth episode when it was put on AS' website, and the credits are inaccurate there as well.

Since I add data for the Brotherhood page on another website, I'm finding their sudden refusal (or maybe it's just laziness) to show the correct credits quite annoying. I'd much rather have a complete cast list instead of just those I know.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:20 am Reply with quote
I am enjoying this anime very much, as well as the english dub, I can't wait to watch episode 7 this weekend Smile.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Dune wrote:
Even though it was mostly exposition, I thought Pinako's VA nailed that scene with Armstrong.

Yeah, I've liked her Pinako since the first series and that scene was voiced great, her and Sabat were fantastic.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:27 pm Reply with quote
Nice, he only had one line so far but creepy skeleton dude is still voiced by the same guy.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 12:05 am Reply with quote
Sheska sounded a little different in this episode than in the last series. Is Gwendolyn Lau still voicing her? Maybe I'm just getting paranoid because Marcoh didn't sound like Brice Armstrong last week.

Some of the other performances were a little weak this episode, too. Except for Alphonse. I've already forgotten that it's a new VA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 1:44 am Reply with quote
Oh right, this episode. Not a big fan. The comedy was more overdone than usual, presumably to make up for the lack of action. The revelation about the Philosopher's Stone kinda loses its weight amidst all the zaniness.

However I'm still enjoying the English dub. Sheska sounded the same to me, btw.
mglittlerobin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 9:22 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Sheska sounded a little different in this episode than in the last series. Is Gwendolyn Lau still voicing her? Maybe I'm just getting paranoid because Marcoh didn't sound like Brice Armstrong last week.

Some of the other performances were a little weak this episode, too. Except for Alphonse. I've already forgotten that it's a new VA.

Yeah, it's still Gwendoly Lau, she has been confirmed to reprise her role, she didn't sound different to me.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:16 am Reply with quote
Just saw the latest episode and it sucks. The episode was to well animated (it was clearly 12 frames a second instead of 8 and sometimes 6 that the original has), and their was a complete lack of people standing around doing nothing for seconds, and absolutly no panning. How dare they not pan!

They also removed the scene where Scar pulled some amazing ability to take a code and somehow uncode it. How dare they try to have Alchemy make sense.

Ok I am done, seriously I was never a fan of the changes the first anime made, and I was shocked at how badly Lab 5 was animated in the first series, and was glad to see that brotherhood really brought it's A game with this episode. The Slicer Battle was really good, and fast paced.

The dubbing is still an improvement over the first anime, and considering how good the first FMA dub was that's a huge compliment. Maxey in particular has impressed me with her voice which has improved rapidly over the course of the first few episodes.

Wendy Powell is awful, but Wendy Powell was always awful so that's fine.
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 1:53 am Reply with quote
Ugh, I am going to have to completely disagree - I hate hate hate this episode of Brotherhood, and, sadly, the dub did not help at all for me. I think it made it worse in places, actually - some of the dialogue just struck me as awkward. The dialogue between Ed and the older Slicer bro. at the beginning, in particular. Just felt really forced to me, like they were spouting out all of the junk they had to get out of the way so they could get to the fighting, really rushed. I feel like this whole episode was rushed, actually. It's all just a perfect example of the pacing Brotherhood sometimes has that I absolutely hate.

My first thought while watching the episode was that Barry the Chopper definitely sounded different, but I couldn't decide if it was a new VA or the same VA doing a gruffer voice. It's not a bad voice, though, I think it suits this version of Barry pretty well, as he is shown to have been a bulkier guy. Makes sense to me, anyways. And I either I just got used to this new voice really fast, or it is the same VA, and they started to sound more like they did in the 1st series as the episode progressed - can't decide which it is, heh.

The parts between Al and Barry aren't bad. And the Slicer brothers sound pretty much the same to me - well, at least the older one, don't really remember the younger one that well. But, like I said, I don't really like his dialogue with Ed, and their whole confrontation really just feels like FMA sparknotes to me, as somebody has put it before. I don't feel like any time at all was spent on building the atmosphere, and the whole affair was just quick and dry and much more emotionless to me. The end of the episode with the older slicer bro. laughing about the irony of being treated as a human in the 1st series gave me chills. And sure, that bit was still in there, but it didn't carry anywhere near the same weight. It all felt much more like your standard shonen material, and I was just rather glad once it was over.

I think the one thing that really threw things off for me aside from the pacing was the music. The bit towards the end, to be specific, where spoiler[Ed has defeated the Slicer brothers,] but it keeps building and building, and then, yeah, spoiler[the homunculi show up,] but it's already jarring to me at that point, and just doesn't fit the mood anymore. I think it was all a bit too dramatic, anyways. Some nice silence there might have been even more effective. And then, of course, you have that bit of SD humor thrown in, which just kind of throws everything off even more, and, ugh. Just not working for me.

Envy did sound rather strange here, and I liked Wendy Powell as Envy enough in the first series. She got really raspy towards the end, there, though. I guess Envy must be a hard role to just jump back into? Or maybe she's trying to take a different route with it, so to speak? Either way, it threw me off.

Anyways, I guess my disappointment shouldn't be too surprising, given how incredibly underwhelmed I am by most of these 1st 13 episodes, but I think I just liked lab 5 so much the 1st time around that it made this episode even more painful to me. Thankfully, the manga/Brotherhood handles the resolution to Al's whole memory crisis much better than the 1st anime, so it almost balances out, I guess.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 am Reply with quote
I prefer the Lab 5 arc in the first series, but Charred Knight is right about Scar's little globe of floating text from that. It happened, never happened again, and was never explained. I mean, he could just have easily seen the brothers head in the direction of the lab or saw the map of Central with the lab circled. When they could easily have made something easily understandable and instead opted to do something completely out of nowhere, it comes off kind of dumb.

But as far as the dub, Wendy Powell has always been a pretty awful Envy, and hasn't really improved. The only difference I can hear is that she does sound a bit more consistent with every line, but it's consistently bad.

Maxey Whitehead is now an excellent Alphonse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
RhymesWithEmpty

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:19 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I won't deny that the weird alchemical text globe thing was pretty stupid. Especially since it was Scar who did it. Alchemy stopping at the deconstructive stage = mystical sphere of translation... what?? I'm hardly about to let something so insignificant color my perception of an otherwise great story arc, though. I just kind of laugh at how dumb it is and move on, heh.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 3:33 am Reply with quote
Barry sounded the same to me as in the first series and just as good.

Maxey's Al was fantastic.

I agree, the first series' Lab 5 and especially Barry's messing with Al had more power combined with the added impact of Michiru Oshima's awesome music for the series.

It would be nice if as we get to the new stuff Akira Senju's score gets more of an identity and isn't played quite as blatantly, as there are a lot of nice pieces. The orchestral piece that's been used a few times so far that plays this time when the homunculus show up for example is great but could be placed better.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 5:43 am Reply with quote
Guess I am the only one who values an action series whose fight scenes don't suck. The first series lab 5 bored me to tears because they where throwing half the cast in their and with characters like Scar I can't even remember what he did, all I just remembered that sphere scene just because it was so stupid.

Though in defense, the arm being only able to use deconstruction is a plot only found in the manga and Brotherhood.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:19 am Reply with quote
I thought the first series version of the Lab 5 arc had a little bit more action. The fight with the Slicers and Barry was much the same, but there was also a battle against Lust and Gluttony with Scar and Alphonse. I guess if you think it was too busy, that makes sense.

But I value other elements in FMA over action, anyway.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 12 of 28