• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:

That doesn't really tell us anything of where he went and what he's doing.

Would you like it to be spoiled for you? In other words you'll find out.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Analog_Now wrote:

That doesn't really tell us anything of where he went and what he's doing.

Would you like it to be spoiled for you? In other words you'll find out.

It can be spoiled since no one knows unless you can watch episodes before they come out but I'm sure you can't and I was just stating that he dissapeared and we don't really know why. And being a smart-aleck isn't very necessary if you have nothing to say informative don't bother.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:30 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:

It can be spoiled since no one knows unless you can watch episodes before they come out but I'm sure you can't and I was just stating that he dissapeared and we don't really know why. And being a smart-aleck isn't very necessary if you have nothing to say informative don't bother.

No you are right I have absolutely no idea where Hohenheim went because I did not read it in the manga. Now I am being sarcastic.

In other words I know exactly what he is doing and where he went but saying so would spoil the story and I would rather not do that. In my other post I was only trying to say it is something that will be revealed later.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now: Just because Hohenheim isn't in one episode, doesn't mean he was forgotten about. We'll get plenty more of him in a bit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:09 pm Reply with quote
Maidenoftheredhand wrote:
Analog_Now wrote:

No you are right I have absolutely no idea where Hohenheim went because I did not read it in the manga. Now I am being sarcastic.

In other words I know exactly what he is doing and where he went but saying so would spoil the story and I would rather not do that. In my other post I was only trying to say it is something that will be revealed later.

Alright I know if you read the manga you can know but by following the show I meant and it just looked as if you were being like a smart-aleck. Sorry for the misunderstanding Maidenoftheredhand.
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Analog_Now wrote:

Alright I know if you read the manga you can know but by following the show I meant and it just looked as if you were being like a smart-aleck. Sorry for the misunderstanding Maidenoftheredhand.

That's quite alright, sometimes it is hard to understand someone's intention on a message board. I've gotten confused myself at times. Smile
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:30 am Reply with quote
Episode fifty-two:

Wow, the opening fight of the episode was quite something. In fact, I'm picking it as one of the best battles we've seen yet. Just the tempo of it was incredible, and then there are all the nifty moves and smart tactical decisions.

However, I'm not sure why later on in the episode Al gives the Philosopher's Stone to Marcoh. Seems like a really dumb thing to do, which contrasts greatly with the intelligence he displayed in battle.

Ed's battle wasn't as good; part of it was simply him assuming fighting poses in between black screens with slashes across them. Kind of a let-down after Al's first battle.

How did the immortal soldiers get out of the underground chamber where Ed and Scar were fighting? Did I miss something?

May looks so cute when she's hopping around like that.

Why couldn't Mustang just force his way into Headquarters? With his abilities, Riza's aim and their willingness to shoot soldiers in their feet or legs (probably sentencing them to a lifetime of pain and loss of mobility), it would have been a cinch.

So let me get this straight. Sloth, who by definition should be slow, is actually extremely fast? His super strength I could buy, since he has to make up for his slowness somehow (sort of how a tank is heavily armed and heavily armoured). But super speed is ridiculous, and not keeping with his nature. Also, all of a sudden his bullet-proof skin can be penetrated by a simple sword and his strength has diminished so much that Alex Armstrong can match him. I'm pretty annoyed that they would screw around with his abilities so much.

I just thought of something. Shouldn't impatience be a deadly sin as well? I guess the Bible isn't as good as people think it is. Let me put it this way. I can just see Father sitting around at Central making rash decisions because he flogged off his slothfulness onto Sloth. That would have made him super industrious, and therefore more impatient than usual. And impatience leads to rash decisions, which for a meticulously-planned operation can be a Very Bad Thing.

Eh, eleven more episodes left. Makes me wonder what the hell they're going to do for that time; how many episodes does it take to get to Father's lair?
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:55 am Reply with quote
Al gave Marcoh the stone so he could heal Heinkel so Heinkel could kill Kimblee.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:16 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Al gave Marcoh the stone so he could heal Heinkel so Heinkel could kill Kimblee.

Unless Heinkel's death was imminent and Al knew of that, giving such a powerful tool to someone who cannot properly fight is kind of stupid. Besides, if it hadn't worked (and it didn't; they needed that loser dude to pop out of nowhere to save them), all the souls trapped in the stones would have been lost and wasted. The risk was too great, the payoff too small.

I know Al wanted to save everyone, but to play around with so many human lives like that is not like him. It's like Al was deliberately made extremely stupid all of a sudden so that the story didn't have to make Pride and Kimblee die then and there. Well, all I can say to Hiromu Arakawa (whom I assume wrote this part) is that she shouldn't have written herself into a corner like that in the first place.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:30 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:

Unless Heinkel's death was imminent and Al knew of that, giving such a powerful tool to someone who cannot properly fight is kind of stupid. Besides, if it hadn't worked (and it didn't; they needed that loser dude to pop out of nowhere to save them), all the souls trapped in the stones would have been lost and wasted. The risk was too great, the payoff too small.

I know Al wanted to save everyone, but to play around with so many human lives like that is not like him. It's like Al was deliberately made extremely stupid all of a sudden so that the story didn't have to make Pride and Kimblee die then and there. Well, all I can say to Hiromu Arakawa (whom I assume wrote this part) is that she shouldn't have written herself into a corner like that in the first place.

Or Al could screw up and have Kimblee blow him up. Yeah, Al was doing pretty good, but it wasn't like he was kicking their ass. Al took a risk and it succeeded taking Kimblee out of the fight permenatly. I think Heinkel and Al could hold Pride off for Al to get the philosopher's stone back but Yoki's running over Pride allowed them to escape.
Analog_Now

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:57 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Episode fifty-two:

How did the immortal soldiers get out of the underground chamber where Ed and Scar were fighting? Did I miss something?

So let me get this straight. Sloth, who by definition should be slow, is actually extremely fast? His super strength I could buy, since he has to make up for his slowness somehow (sort of how a tank is heavily armed and heavily armoured). But super speed is ridiculous, and not keeping with his nature. Also, all of a sudden his bullet-proof skin can be penetrated by a simple sword and his strength has diminished so much that Alex Armstrong can match him. I'm pretty annoyed that they would screw around with his abilities so much.

I don't think the only exit for the immortal army was from the laboratory because that would be a flaw just having them leave from one exit instead of many. But that's only a guess.

Also for sloth it was kind of inevitable to see sloth have an extra ability because every homunculus would show off there super ability during an important fight and sloth has never been in one until now. His ability of speed isn't very good either since he can't control it properly.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:00 pm Reply with quote
The point of Sloth is that it's a waste of potential, laziness. If he was just slow, it wouldn't be a waste, that would be as fast as he could go. I guess that would make some sense in itself, but it's even better that he's actually the fastest, but he's constantly wasting his potential because he's so lazy.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Dune

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 1:47 am Reply with quote
Time to catch up.

New Opening: Mostly good. One too many characters crying, and the Winry-Ed bond is a little overemphasized/ though I wouldn't be surprised if Ed wakes up in Resembool like that when the show ends. Greed looks awesome! Why can't he always look like that?

Episode 51: Flesh-eating zombies, really? ...Really? But still fun-- this was one of those 'enjoyed it way more than I should have' episodes. The Sloth fight looks like it's going to be interesting. It's a bit presumptuous on Heinkel's part to assume the souls in the stone want to sacrifice themselves, methinks, but still good.

Episode 52: More shonen action. I almost feel like I'm watching 'FMA: Z' now, Al even gets to pull off a Solar Flare attack. Kimbley and his nice white suit will surely be missed (RIP?). Edward better do something important soon; you could have cut him from this entire arc so far and not miss anything. This is kind of a problem considering he's the title character. Also he should have defeated these zombies by now, what happened to the Edward who was so formidable with his alchemy?

Episode 53: It figures, Ed was doing poorly against the zombies to make Mustang look good by comparison. We finally have the big showdown now Dilandou vs. Allen Schezar! Envy vs. Roy Mustang. Waitaminute *flips through the manga* Envy's been defeated over and over again. This is fun and all, but Envy's had his comeuppance already, plus this is more than a little convenient... oh well. Ed and Scar's sudden concern about Mustang killing his enemy is interesting, if a little odd. I wonder if they'll show such concern the next time Olivier Armstrong decides to off someone.

This arc (so far) is starting to remind me of the Universal Studios FMA attraction: there's a lot of action that I'll probably enjoy a lot more if I just shut up and go along for the ride. I'm curious about how the remaining ten episodes will fare.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:32 am Reply with quote
54: spoiler[I know Arakawa tried to make a twist there, but why would Envy disguise himself as Roy when he doesn't suppose to know that Riza is in there?! And even if he knew (and he shouldn't) it still seem pointless to me for him to try and tricked her when she's not suppose to be much of a challenge for him to handle when she's alone.

And to hear that "Humans are pointless and stupid beings! NO wait, they're actually smart, and great! LOOK how they're ALWAYS one step ahead of us, the bad guys!"-dialog for the 132054359847 time is really irritating Confused. And when Ed's revealed Envy's jealousy of humans and explained why he jealous at them.. that all scene felt really Naruto-ish (Oh, and it's not true, not for all humans anyway Confused), but for the bright side, his death (though a bit dragged) was very emotional and make me felt sorry for him.. ]
Maidenoftheredhand

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
oh well. Ed and Scar's sudden concern about Mustang killing his enemy is interesting, if a little odd. I wonder if they'll show such concern the next time Olivier Armstrong decides to off someone.

No because you see Olivier is not taking joy in torturing her opponent and going after them for revenge. Certainly not something, someone who is aiming to be leader should do. This is over Hughes, is Roy going to seek revenge every time someone he cares about might be killed?

And yes the fight with Roy and Envy was one sided but that is because it was not meant to be oh look at how cool Roy is for beating Envy but oh no look at what this is doing to Roy. In fact I think this is one of the best moments of the series because most of the fanbase thought they wanted to see Roy get his revenge but in the end we realize this was not a good thing for Roy at all. It wasn't sweet, it wasn't fun, it was downright disturbing to see Roy like that. But clearly all you saw was "cool action scenes" which I find highly amusing.

Also Al did not get a super power up to fight Pride and Kimbley he used a philosopher stone. And that scene showed his growth that he is not going to be like "oh no I can't use the P Stone because there are human lives" when now there are other lives at stake, the same lives he wants to protect.

And if you think FMA is just a pure action series, than sorry you are missing the point. Yes there is a lot of action but it isn't just for the sake of action. There is more to these scenes (character growth and exposition) such as the examples I highlighted above. But you obviously seem to miss this.

As for oh no Ed not doing anything he will have his moment to shine in this final arc. Just because the series is called "Fullmetal Alchemist" does not mean it has to be all about Ed. In fact in my opinion FMA's strength is that every character gets their moment to shine and it's not only focused on one or two characters. So yes this means that there are times when Ed does not do a lot but because of that other characters like Roy, Olivier, Riza, and Armstrong and many others are also important to the story. Don't get me wrong I understand that some people like a story that is more focused on a few characters. But that is not what FMA is. This is not a fault it's just a different way of telling a story. Personally I highly prefer it to the first FMA's method where everything was about Ed & Al. With the Manga and Brotherhood's method of focusing on so many characters the FMA world just seems so much more real & alive to me that I end up caring about the "Amestris" that the characters are fighting for. I love Ed but when he is missing (and in the manga it is for months not weeks) I don't miss him because I love every other character as well.

Also KPK

spoiler[yes Envy saw Riza in episode 53. He even smirked when he saw her. And why would Envy change into Roy. Wow you obviously missed the part when Envy turned into Gracia when he killed Hughes. Envy likes to torture people like that. Having her killed by someone that looks like Roy is right up Envy's alley. And not to mention Riza is not some helpless weakling.

Also Envy's hatred and jealousy of humans was foreshadowed throughout the series. He is "Envy" after all. Unlike a lot of people I never felt Envy was that strong, but he had an ability (taking the appearance of someone else) that allowed him to manipulate and trick his enemies. But the fact that he had to change his appearance to trick was always a weakness to me]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 60 of 64