• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tatami Galaxy (Yojō-Han Shinwa Taikei) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
animalcalls

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:17 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
I dunno, I could see the spoiler[repetition continuing for the whole series, at least up until the last few episodes. Presumably it'll "end" whenever "I" finally figures out how to dump Ozu and win Akashi's heart.

Unlike Endless Eight, however, I see this staying amusing. It's not just that Yuuasa Masaaki is just that good, but also the premise really is different: it's not the same events repeated over and over, it's the same two years, trying out different paths.]

Given that we've already got a god in this, and that Ozu spoiler[seems to be aware of the time loop], does anyone else suspect Ozu may be the demon he appears to be?

spoiler[Wait, how do you think Ozu is aware of the time loop?]
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:54 pm Reply with quote
animalcalls wrote:
spoiler[Wait, how do you think Ozu is aware of the time loop?]

spoiler[Their conversation while eating about how he (the narrator) "always winds up back here" or some such. Where Ozu says "deja vu" when the narrator gets suspicious.] That. I mean, it's all so psychedelic that it can be hard to tell what's meant in seriousness and what's meant in jest, but still.
Ian K

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Just watched the 3rd episode. Man, it's been years since I had to wait a week between fixes, usually I just wait until the show gets posted and marathon the thing. It's nice to have something to look forward to from week to week, though.

I think that, after having established the time loop in the previous episode, the creators are less interested in carrying over formula elements from episode to episode. We still have spoiler[the fortune teller, the doll, and Ozu telling the protagonist that he can't escape this fate], but spoiler[the promise to Akashi wasn't there (at least not explicitly), nor was the cake thing, and the interaction with Ozu was actually pretty small. Heck, I'd even go as far as to say the main character is less of a loser than in the previous eps]. Instead, it uses previously introduced characters to tie the arcs together.

This is a good thing, as it helps the episode to stay fresh and intriguing. The only thing I missed was spoiler[a new superpower for Akashi], but I suppose that's small potatoes.

As a college student, I wonder if I find this show more affecting than others would (or myself at a different time of life). I've generally avoided the disastrous experiences of the Protagonist (with the exception of also having spoiler[my bicycle stolen], but the whole sense of uncertainty about life (and the need to stop moping and accomplish something) I can definitely relate to.
braves

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:15 am Reply with quote
Ian K wrote:
As a college student, I wonder if I find this show more affecting than others would (or myself at a different time of life). I've generally avoided the disastrous experiences of the Protagonist (with the exception of also having spoiler[my bicycle stolen], but the whole sense of uncertainty about life (and the need to stop moping and accomplish something) I can definitely relate to.
Yeah, I definitely see a bit of myself in the main character. I'm not as bombastic in my thinking, but his thought process does seem to reflect what I would think of in the situations he finds himself in.

Also, Michio Mihara is set to appear in ep. 7, for those who were wondering when he would turn up. Should be great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
garfield15

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4:

EPIC ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS!

spoiler[-Oh my god, the title sequence was so funny when he tried to escape from Ozu and Higuchi

-Wow, we really had some screwed up animation today. From the fish head people to the "Everything turns pink around Akashi-san." My favorite was the guy who had the scrub brush and half his body was in darkness and you could only see his smile like the Cheshire cat.

-What I really liked about the episode was all the callbacks to previous episodes like the doll in Jougasaki's room, the snapshot of Higuchi riding Watashi's bike from episode 3, and my favorite, "I wanted to set some fireworks on these couples, but I get the feeling I did that already." Very Happy

-Ozu, you backstabbing troll. I figured he seemed too normal this episode.]
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 12:12 am Reply with quote
So at this point, I've largely given up on my hope that The Tatami Galaxy would be some epic mind-twisting journey through the multiverse. Now I'm just watching it as a fun way to spend 25 minutes every Thursday, and I guess that's probably what Yuasa and Co really had in mind with this show. That's not to disparage the show - it's doing a great job of balancing the tropes it has established for itself with the introduction of new elements and fleshing out of the characters. And, of course, it looks gorgeous.

This sort of reminds me of the Yoshitoshi ABe show Niea_7. After working on the dark and mind-fragging Serial Experiments Lain, the crew needed a break and went in a more light-hearted and light-weight direction. Then a couple years later, they gave us Heibane Renmei.

After wowing us with Mind Game, Kemonozume, and Kaiba, I can't really blame Yuasa if he wants to take a different and less overtly spectacular route this time.

On the other hand, I could be wrong about all of this, and Yuasa is just lulling us into a false sense of security before springing some amazing surprise. Which I'd be completely okay with.

By the way, anyone who is curious how the show so far compares to the narrative structure of the original novel may find the comments on this post interesting. There is speculation on what direction the show will go from here, which could be (very) mildly spoilery.
Mister V

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 6:06 pm Reply with quote
The main character's getting lamer by the episode. Can't even sympathise with him. And there's a definite lack of Akashi-san. When will this rebooting of his life stop? We got the message. Move on, please (although ep4 was different, I wouldn't want them to go back again). The conclusion to this loop better be satisfying, unlike another time loop I can think of.
Ian K

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 1:48 am Reply with quote
@Mister V

Quote:
When will this rebooting of his life stop? We got the message. Move on, please

No such luck, I'm guessing. Apparently the original novel only had four arcs. When adapting it into the anime, Yuasa & co took elements from the first arc, about Protagonist trying to find love in the movie club, and spun it into three different reboots (so the softball and bicycle club eps were essentially new). So we're probably going to see a few more cycles exploring the Proxy War, and then a few on the next theme, and then one or two on the finale.

I'm definitely sympathetic to the frustration you and others are having with this show, it's not what I was hoping for either. Still, I'm continuing to find things to like about it, and hope that other people will as well.
Mister V

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
Frustration is, I guess, the right word. I definitely didn't want to see just another wacky comedy, and many good elements are present here. Remove this time loop, make all these things happen to him while he was in college (a sort of trippy take on slice-of-life), and it would be more enjoyable, personally (and as I mentioned, I would like to see more screen time for the other characters). Of course, it wouldn't be as symbolic, wouldn't be as effective at sending the message, - that's definitely a trade-off. They could have opted for a faster loop, fitting two stories in one episode (since they don't seem to be following the novels anyway). However, right now the repeating - or, more precisely, that it takes up entire episodes, - is getting somewhat annoying.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Have to admit, episode 4 was weird even for my taste. It didn't have me cracking up the way the first 3 did. Maybe there were a lot of in-jokes a gaijin like me won't get...?

Anyway, was that Keiji Fujiwara doing his own singing? He's not half bad.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
The main character's getting lamer by the episode. Can't even sympathise with him. And there's a definite lack of Akashi-san. When will this rebooting of his life stop? We got the message. Move on, please (although ep4 was different, I wouldn't want them to go back again). The conclusion to this loop better be satisfying, unlike another time loop I can think of.

Just what the anime industry needs, another endless eight. The first episode had a tiny bit of promise, but really was much as Arakawa Under The Bridge. But there is no way and I mean no way I am watching a show they continuously go in circles (admiringly, I am relived episode four isn't more of the same.)

But then again, Tatami Galaxy is about 50 times better than Endless Eight. I can't really imagine this series being licensed in US, but there is always that possibility.
Ian K

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 2:55 am Reply with quote
I have a confession to make. After episode 4, which I guess I didn't find that entertaining, I had somewhat given up on this series. I had resigned myself to this show being Yuasa's equivalent of Howl's Moving Castle: A good and entertaining work, but not up to the standards I normally associated with its creator. I conquered my disappointment, and resolved to try and enjoy this show as best I could.

Oh, ye of little faith.

My confidence has been restored, I have no doubts that Yuasa and Co know exactly what they're doing. First, this was perhaps the most entertaining episode yet, with Watashi's choice of the softball club turning out to be a front for a spoiler[health food scam] and a spoiler[religious cult]. Interestingly, he actually takes the blame for the chaos that follows.

Then there is Ozu. Not only he has he found a target worthy of his attentions, for the first time since episode 1 we see an indication that maybe he's doing more for Watashi than trying to sabotage his every move.

Everything was going great, I was having fun - and then the last scene hit. Now I am completely, totally hooked for the long run. I don't know how this show will continue to develop, but I'm sure it's going to end on an awesome note.
braves

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2010 4:00 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Yeah, changing things up and the final blow for this particular episode was rewarding. I enjoyed the animation more for this episode than for any other, particularly the scene with all of the club members confessing to each other.]

The main thing I was looking forward to before this episode was just watching all of these animators come together to put up a visual spectacle, as is typical for a Yuasa project. I was especially waiting for episode 7, where Michio Mihara did another solo episode. But at least now I'm also in it to see where it'll go plot-wise.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mister V

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 2:38 pm Reply with quote
I feel like I missed something important (perhaps earlier), because I don't really understand what final blow you guys are talking about (is it in episode 5 at all?).

Still hypnotised by the ED, though.
braves

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Mister V wrote:
I feel like I missed something important (perhaps earlier), because I don't really understand what final blow you guys are talking about (is it in episode 5 at all?).

You mean you watched episode 5 and didn't catch spoiler[Watashi seeing another version of himself coming out of the wall?] It's right there at the end for a split second.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7