• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood -[adult swim] (w/index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:12 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Ugh, I never liked Ed Blaylock's Bradley. It lacks that deep, commanding quality to it that the Japanese voice has.

Yeah, it's a totally different type of voice so it seems pretty natural to like one over the other. Given that he doesn't have a deep booming voice, for his version of Bradley with his particular voice I actually thought he did a pretty good job at giving a commanding presence in this particular episode and he successfully sounded quite dangerous throughout and did the scene with the kid to cap it off well too.

braves wrote:
He animated spoiler[Greed vs. Bradley].
You'll really get to see Kameda leave his stamp on the series in ep. 19-- his part is unmistakable.

Cool.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
Never really understood why they removed so many scenes from some parts of the story, I mean did we really need to move everything up one episode? Especially when while some of the new scenes from later episodes are fine, the parts they took out are still better.

I think that's an inherent problem with rebooting for the sake of making a version closer to the manga, especially when it really hasn't been that long since the original. Things will go by too fast for people new to the series, while vets will still think it's not getting to new material quickly enough. It's going to be impossible to please everybody.

I don't think Brotherhood's bad, but frankly I'm still not sold on why a reboot was necessary so soon aside from the obvious issue of striking while it was still possible to reassemble the majority of the original casts. Still keeping an open mind as I'm not familiar with the manga though, and from what I saw in the last episode we've gotten to the divergence point between the original series and the manga material which from what I've read alot of manga fans were apparently disappointed was not originally included.
kpk

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 9:09 am Reply with quote
I just thought about it, and i think that if there will ever be a live action adaptation to film for FMA, Liam Neeson should play Bradley..

Who's with me?! Very Happy
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 11:31 pm Reply with quote
LOL Ed when spoiler[ he learns Al can now do alchemy without a circle like him]... priceless Smile

spoiler[ Also, Hawkeye's scene, awesome. ]
everydaygamer

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kelly wrote:
Charred Knight wrote:
Never really understood why they removed so many scenes from some parts of the story, I mean did we really need to move everything up one episode? Especially when while some of the new scenes from later episodes are fine, the parts they took out are still better.

I think that's an inherent problem with rebooting for the sake of making a version closer to the manga, especially when it really hasn't been that long since the original. Things will go by too fast for people new to the series, while vets will still think it's not getting to new material quickly enough. It's going to be impossible to please everybody.

I don't think Brotherhood's bad, but frankly I'm still not sold on why a reboot was necessary so soon aside from the obvious issue of striking while it was still possible to reassemble the majority of the original casts. Still keeping an open mind as I'm not familiar with the manga though, and from what I saw in the last episode we've gotten to the divergence point between the original series and the manga material which from what I've read alot of manga fans were apparently disappointed was not originally included.

as far as i know there was no reason to do the new series other then to appease fans who wanted a version that followed the manga. i guess that since the manga was finally coming to an end they thought it was as good a time as any to do the new series. but yeah you'll be amazed at how different it is compared to the original especially when it comes to some characters.

anyways haven't seen the dub yet but i pre-ordered the first set on blu-ray so looking forward to finally checking it out this week.
kpk

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:24 am Reply with quote
So now we know.

Todd Haberkorn is voicing Ling.
Aaron Dismuke will be voicing "Slave 23" (aka "Young Hohenheim").
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:41 am Reply with quote
Though I'm not a fan of the character, I do think Ling has a set of really good voice actors, both Japanese and now English. It took me a few minutes to adjust to his English voice, but it's pretty near what I hear in my mind when I read the manga.

Monica Rial's Mei might take some more time to adjust to. It's cute, but it sounds a little too much like her Ai Satoume in Shin-chan, and has me imagining Ai doing rentanjutsu to impress Shin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 2:48 am Reply with quote
Your version of Ling sounds like Sgt. Keroro? I am fine with Todd as a comedic actor but from what I have seen he just doesn't have the voice for Ling's dramatic moments.
Dune

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
kpk wrote:
Aaron Dismuke will be voicing "Slave 23" (aka "Young Hohenheim").

I'll be looking forward to it.
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:49 am Reply with quote
Episode 16 aired, I thought it was very good :3.

I cried when Edward and Alphonse found out the truth about Hughe's Death Crying or Very sad.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, the performances were really good last week especially Ed, Al, Winry and the Hughes family.

Totally gripping episode tonight, I'm glad I waited to experience the new stuff like I did season 1 once I knew I really liked it, I was riveted to the screen the entire time.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:54 am Reply with quote
One thing that I have really began to notice is that Travis Willingham has continually stole the show with his Mustang, I don't know if it's a difference in the two version of Mustangs or if Willingham has just improved his acting but he doesn't sound like his growling all of his lines like he did in the first series.
Revolutionary

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 3:59 am Reply with quote
Todd sounds very strange as Ling to me. Although I guess that could be because I'm so used to seeing it in Japanese and spoiler[also am more used to seeing Ling as Greed.]
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2010 5:48 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
One thing that I have really began to notice is that Travis Willingham has continually stole the show with his Mustang, I don't know if it's a difference in the two version of Mustangs or if Willingham has just improved his acting but he doesn't sound like his growling all of his lines like he did in the first series.

It's good to know we agree on something. Travis Willingham's Roy has been thoroughly awesome lately.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:40 am Reply with quote
Okay so one of the best episodes of the series just aired, and the dub was just what was asked for. Colleen Clinkenbeard really got to show off her stuff as Riza, and she was better than I hoped for. Everyone else was really solid, especially Jerry Jewell, who was just incredible as the psychotic Barry the Chopper. Even though I saw this episode several times sub, it was still just as good, and I can say that for just a few shows like G Gundam.

I would love to see if people who discarded this series as just another rehash watched this episode but I am just certain that they would bitch about the boob joke.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 28