• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Naruto Season 3 Box Set 1

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Otaking09

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:08 am Reply with quote
Weird thing to review. Especially this was primarily covered by Carl.

Other than more eps for less, isn't this just... a repeating? Like Hope's Blu-ray review repeating an already covered streaming review of the Il Teatrino?

Don't get me wrong, I like Key's take on this crucial arc. I mean those mixed in flashback/extra tagteam partner battles can be a little repetitive, but that's what makes shonen so fun I guess...
It's simple, but occasionally emotive, storytelling.

I, personally, don't own any Naruto sets yet, but with this rare Viz re-release treatment, I don't see any harm in investing.... after Casshern Sins of course.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:42 am Reply with quote
OOOhhhhh Idea ....so that's what these boxsets are. Twice the episodes for the same price (or sometimes less). I may finally be able to finish up my Naruto collection (too bad I had to stop on an uneven number box so I'll be rebuying part of it). I'd probably stop with this box since it contains the last of the episodes that follow the manga until Shippuden. IIRC.

And as over played as those melancholy tracks are, I can't help but love them. It's my most played track on the first soundtrack. Masuda Toshio really knows how to pull at the heart strings and then turn around and get you ready for the action.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 12:03 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I'm new in ANN, and I gotta say I liked the review of the boxset. I agree with most of these things. The fights tend to be awesome, but sometimes flashbacks are tiring. The biggest example may be Naruto vs. Sasuke in which Naruto has like five flashbacks before throwing himself towards Sasuke and punch him in the face. God, that was a slow episode! In the next episodes some of the earlier flashbacks were repeated but I gotta give credit to the way some of them were shown, giving more depth to the friendship between both of them. Finally, the last flashback before the last clash was kind of an abridged version of the flashbacks, but done nicely. Regards.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 1:28 pm Reply with quote
Learn to master the ff button, and the flashbacks are much less annoying. Unforunately, there isn't a way to just skip past them all.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I love Yuri Lowenthal's performance as Sasuke, especially his pronunciation of Naruto's name! He really makes the dub for me (and it's a huge departure from his usual "nice guy" roles).

What is ths "new footage" you speak of? Are there new scenes in this set that weren't in sets 9&10? I'm confused.

Also most of the flashbacks were nice, character adding breaks from the action. I personally like the Choji/Shikamaru friendship story. Wink
v1cious

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:57 am Reply with quote
wow, this feels so... old. Maybe it 's cause I'm up to the current arc, but reading this review was like finding an old magazine you had lying around. I'm not trying to be snobbish or anything, it just feels really weird. I will say though, that this has what i consider to be one of the best animated fight scenes ever.

Last edited by v1cious on Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
braves

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:27 am Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
What is ths "new footage" you speak of? Are there new scenes in this set that weren't in sets 9&10? I'm confused.
I'm pretty sure he means non-flashback scenes.

v1cious wrote:
I will say though, that this has what i consider to be one of the animated fight scenes ever.
It's definitely my all-time favorite. I've watched ep. 133 more times than I can remember.

Wakabayashi's next episode in the Naruto franchise is more ambitious, but it isn't as polished as 133. Not to mention that it drags in the second half due to it having to adapt the manga material. That's where 133 also shines for me. It corrected the shortcomings that were in the manga by adding memorable scenes, including one that's more than just allowing Norio Matsumoto to flex his animator muscles (which I don't mind anyways).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I love Yuri Lowenthal's performance as Sasuke, especially his pronunciation of Naruto's name! He really makes the dub for me (and it's a huge departure from his usual "nice guy" roles).

Also most of the flashbacks were nice, character adding breaks from the action. I personally like the Choji/Shikamaru friendship story. Wink

Well I like the season 3 set cause of the obivious battle between Kimimarou and Garra.

Also agreed with the dub though I would have gived it an A-.

BUT most people (hardore prusuits) dont give the dub a lot more credit. Especially during it's run on CN where a lot of those dub haters compared it to another 4kids knock off years ago.

but from what I saw,there's no major editing on the Cartoon Network version and the uncut version other than the Ending song,blood and potty mouths. those viz versions on CN were ten times better than the crap on 4kids. However if they were talking about disney xd's version on naruto shippuden, i would have to agree.

Also i kinda agree with the new Role for Yuri depature as the good guy on some series, however for Shippuden he should have been as the older Naruto and JYB as Saskue (but that may not have been possible cause of commitment to bleach.)

However I did agreed with those prusuits that Kate as sakura was definitely a miss and was kinda too whiny for my taste.

A hit as Code Geass's C.C , but a big miss as sakura in my view.

Also I thought Blum voiced as Zabuza and not that evil clone of Michael Jackson??? I though some one else voices as him cause I watched all the eps and he sure as heck did not sounded like Blum to me. Zabuza,yes but not orichimaru.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ankoku22

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:33 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Also I thought Blum voiced as Zabuza and not that evil clone of Michael Jackson??? I though some one else voices as him cause I watched all the eps and he sure as heck did not sounded like Blum to me. Zabuza,yes but not orichimaru.

Steven Blum voices both Zabuza and Orochimaru. Although he's known more for more relaxed roles like Spike in Cowboy Bebop, he actually does have a decent range of voices he can perform. I hardly recognized him as the Green Goblin in Spectacular Spider-Man. O_o
Agent355

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:49 am Reply with quote
"Evil Clone of Michael Jackson"? I hope I'm not a bad person for laughing out loud at that! Laughing

Steve Blum's got a great range!

It would have been positively weird for Yuri Lowenthal to voice Naruto in Shippuden after voicing Sasuke in Naruto. I just hope Maille Flanagan's voice survives the series! Wink (note: I think the dub does a pretty good job overall, even with Naruto's more mature [and scratchier] voice.)
_Emi_

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:44 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:

Blum as Orochimaru does not surprise me.
belvadeer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:03 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
However I did agreed with those prusuits that Kate as sakura was definitely a miss and was kinda too whiny for my taste.

A hit as Code Geass's C.C , but a big miss as sakura in my view.

Kate totally fits Sakura, especially during scenes that require that meaner edge to her voice (aka pissed off). I find it a nice coincidence that she voiced another ninja girl (Rue in Magna Carta 2) and pulled off that role using her calm and focused C.C. voice.
barrelroller

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 12:45 am Reply with quote
From a guy that owns every single Naruto Uncut Box Set (the original releases), these are worth it. They are smaller & cheaper. And after this set, don't bother buying the rest of them (the fillers get from okay to absolutely terrible), and move onto Shippuden. I'm just one of those chumps that has to have every single episode or else I feel that my collection is incomplete.

This is what my shelf looked like after I got every box set:
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:44 pm Reply with quote
You're a crazy guy, barrelroller: I stopped at the end of the non-filler stuff (boxset 10). But I do admire your drive for completeness.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1