• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - Casshern In: Anime Remakes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keyl

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Wow, I loved Toward the Terra and Casshern Sins... Maybe I should check out Birdy the Mighty next?

do it but it doesn't get it brilliance until you get to second season. still the first season is good start.
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:33 pm Reply with quote
ZenErik wrote:
Paploo wrote:
manga#6772 The To Terra manga is actually by Keiko Takemiya (and available from Vertical Inc http://www.vertical-inc.com/books/keikotakemiya/toterra.html if anyone wants an idea of it's grandeur)

I'm watching Toward the Terra TV right now and really enjoying it so far. I will definitely be checking out the 1980 movie and this manga. Thanks for the link. I didn't even know the manga was licensed here.

Vertical's edition is quite nice- 3 oversized books [both in page count and in that they're the larger, OldViz/SigIkki-sized trim] with covers graphic designed by Chip Kidd using interior art from the series. They're fun, crazy reads- http://shaenon.livejournal.com/37343.html Shaenon K. Garrity reviewed it a few years ago as part of her Overlooked Manga Festival feature

Vertical also released Andromeda Stories, another scifi series from Takemiya, which has a lot of crazy twists.
Raoh

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:43 pm Reply with quote
There's a lot of good remakes, and some not so good.

I was really hoping Guyver would continue from where the OVA left off, instead of going over stuff again. The ending was fairly inconclusive, too.

I really enjoy sequels and continuations of stuff, like Macross Frontier and new Fist of the North Star stuff. The original stuff is classic, but seeing it with new fluid animation and in HD just adds a whole new way of viewing.

Also, if Hollywood really wanted to rake some money in, they'd make Happy Feet 2 already. I want more dancing penguins, damnit.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:50 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if the amount of words in the article or being of a positive opinion about Casshern Sins staved off the s-storm of comments that Shelf Life got.

This is a young article, though...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Holy cow, it's a column where I actually recognize half the titles! I've actually seen Casshern Sins, Birdy the Mighty Decode, and Toward the Terra and liked them all, really need to track down the original OVAs and movie for Birdy and Terra however, never felt the urge to watch the older Casshern. I thought that all the remakes were well done since none of them felt dated, always a problem with remakes, in either plot of design, kudos to the staff for that!
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 5:53 pm Reply with quote
Paploo wrote:

Macross Plus- Such a wonderful remake of the love triangle, pop idol and advanced mecha elements of the original TV series, but bringing it all down to a very personal, localized element as three estranged friends comeback to their hometown and science goes

If you liked Macross Plus, you'll LOVE Frontier. Personally, I consider it to be the best Macross to be made in years.

unfortunately, it has zero chance of getting licensed right now...

Last edited by v1cious on Sun Sep 26, 2010 8:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Yasuhiro Imagawa should be in charge of all anime remakes. Giant Robo, Shin Mazinger, Tetsujin-28, all amazing revisions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
sonickid101

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:37 pm Reply with quote
who needs wiki when theres mike toole?
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Paploo wrote:

Macross Plus- Such a wonderful remake of the love triangle, pop idol and advanced mecha elements of the original TV series, but bringing it all down to a very personal, localized element as three estranged friends comeback to their hometown and science goes

If you liked Macross Plus, you'll LOVE Frontier. Personally, I consider it to be the best Macorss to be made in years.

unfortunately, it has zero chance of getting licensed right now...

Eh, I dunno, it sort of looks like "trashy current anime gimmicks tossed in a mixing bowl with Macross stuff and tossed out to the masses". Which mind you, I actually liked Macross II : Lovers Again, so I probaby *would* like it. But I'm very doubtful it would be as good as Macross Plus (which is pretty much the opposite of everything currently popular in Japan) is.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:54 pm Reply with quote
Macross Plus is probably my favorite anime of all time. Mac Frontier is in my top 10. If you like Macross at all, Original, Do You Remember Love, Zero, and Frontier are all worth your time).

At any rate this is getting slightly off top, sequels are not, strictly speaking, remakes. (though you might get away with calling Frontier a 'rebeat' of Macross 7. Maybe.)

Last edited by Mr Adventure on Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Paploo

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:58 pm Reply with quote
I have the Clash of the Bionoids edit on vhs- even with wierd edits and Hong Kong and Australian voice actors poorly hiding their accents, it's a wonderful remake with fantastic animation and a touching love story.
Mr Adventure

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:00 pm Reply with quote
Of yeah, Do You Remember Love? I suppose is a remake. And a damn good one at that.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:07 pm Reply with quote
I am actually shocked Mike didn't mention either Hellsing Ultimate or Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood as those are the two remakes that most people have seen the original anime version. Though that might be because both are closer adaptations of the manga.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:11 pm Reply with quote
I guess you can count the original Gundam film Trilogy too, since they apparently are lot closer to Tomino's original vision for the series (Haven't heard anything good about the Zeta films, but oh well) and edit out a lot of unnescassary stand-alone stuff, stock footage and obvious toy-tie-in crap that diverted from the realism he was aiming for...

Like this monstrosity here
old_yoshi

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2010 7:52 pm Reply with quote
now I'll have to see Casshern Sins since people seem to either love it or hate it. (shelf life are you listening?)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4