• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime you can't get out of your head!

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gundam83

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:40 pm Reply with quote
A couple of months ago I stopped watching School Rumble,there were a few funny parts but I didn't like it. But for some reason I CAN'T GET IT OUT OF MY HEAD,especially the theme song! So i decided that soon I'm gonna give it another try especially since a lot of people liked the show.
So is there any anime that you can't stop thinking about?
poilk92

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:55 pm Reply with quote
does your mom count as an anime?

but seriously I had that feeling after watching a few titles elfin lied was one. GANTZ is another one, but only because of the terribly unsatisfying ending. Actually I think I get that feeling whenever there is a lack of closure
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I've mentioned it in passing in a number of posts lately so if you've noticed that it should be no surprise that the one going through my head a lot lately is NANA. And not for the best reasons. I marathoned it in two days when I got far enough to know it would be the type of show that would really weigh heavily on me and I didn't want to dwell on it without knowing what was coming next. The show sets up emotional situations time and time again- screws over most of the charaters and at the end it leaves everything hanging in bad situations. I guess I should commend it for making me feel for the fictional characters but they all make me feel like crap.

And because of the manga-ka's poor health and possible unwillingness to continue writing the story may never finish. And I can understand why a person in poor health might not want to spend their time on such a story, it's emotionally exhausting to watch a story about these poor bastards, these character put through emotional wringers, what must it be like to come up with that stuff?

And though I adore School Rumble I understand humor being subjective. I too have a highly rated comedy series I gave up on but have thought about occasionally, Great Teacher Onizuka. But I for one do not want to return to it. I simply found him too unlikable and personally found the stories unfunny . What got stuck in my mind wasn't the comedy, it was my curiosity of where the plot went.

Good point on the lack of closure, that's what gets stuck in your head. You know there must be something going for a story if you keep thinking about it. The stuff you stop watch and never come back to? You know those are bad.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:03 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
Good point on the lack of closure, that's what gets stuck in your head. You know there must be something going for a story if you keep thinking about it. The stuff you stop watch and never come back to? You know those are bad.

you're right, it must be for those reasons (closure, personal taste in humor, etc) i still think about the dogs of anime that i never bothered to finish walking around the block.

then there are times when i can't put my finger on why i've stopped ... like with Area 88 OVAs, which had a really engaging storyline, interesting enough characters -- but i stalled out 3-quarters of the way through and haven't gone back, even though every week as i wonder what i'll watch next that one does cross my mind ...

but on the other side of the pendulum are the anime that pop into my head when i'm at work or thinking about something else entirely ...

Kino's Journey
Millennium Actress
Tekkonkinkreet
Sword of the Stranger
Mushi-Shi ...

etc ...

.... those come to mind most frequently, but that list of great shows that have stuck with me goes on and on ...
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Lum the Forever. I can't honestly say I enjoy it. It exists somewhere beyond the enjoyable/painful distinction, i think. Smile But I can't just write it off, as some do. It's taken up residence in my head, where it sits confusing me.
EricJ

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:38 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
Lum the Forever. I can't honestly say I enjoy it. It exists somewhere beyond the enjoyable/painful distinction, i think. Smile But I can't just write it off, as some do. It's taken up residence in my head, where it sits confusing me.

I can't honestly say ANY Lum fan enjoys it, as we tend to prefer humor or emotion in the show. (At least "Beautiful Dreamer" had a point, but the "Forever" writers told us flat out they were making it up as they went along)--
But that's not to say that UY itself doesn't fall under the header. Smile

And as far as shows "stuck in my head", there are just SO many examples of Azumanga-ana that have crept into my daily life:
Whenever I realize something with an "Aha!", my subconscious immediately pictures an image of Osaka going "A! Surprised "
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 9:31 pm Reply with quote
EricJ wrote:
I can't honestly say ANY Lum fan enjoys it, as we tend to prefer humor or emotion in the show.
Yes. Well, I have to admit that while I've enjoyed the UY I've seen, I'm not a fanatic. I rather suspect that this is even indicated by the fact that my favourite movies are the second, third and fourth...

Some of what is really and truly lodged in my mind is due to childhood imprinting. Especially Ulysses 31. It was a pretty good show, but I think the main reason it's stuck in my memory is the lyric from the opening song "And me Nono (small robot, you know), friend of Ulysses!" Very Happy
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:28 am Reply with quote
Well, let's see.....
Both have:
  • Great plot;
  • Great character development;
  • Great and interesting graphics; and finally,
  • Great and terrific original soundtracks.
For special runner ups:
  • Video Girl Ai
    This OAV just cries out to be made into a 13-episode series.
  • R.O.D. O.A.V.
    Even though it has plot holes big enough to drive 18-wheel rigs through, I am still smitten by this Indiana Jones-cum-librarian story.
  • Descendants of Darkness
    I just LOVE Edward MacLeod as Kazutaka Muraki.
gartholamundi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:22 am Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:

[*]Haibane Renmei[/list]Both have:
  • Great plot;
  • Great character development;
  • Great and interesting graphics; and finally,
  • Great and terrific original soundtracks.

i loved Haibane Renmei. bought those single discs twice. worth every dollar. love the mystery, the charm, the character designs, the background art, the opening and closing songs (i normally skip openings and endings, but not in this case). really good show. not the kind of show that sticks in my head, but i love revisiting the space it creates.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:44 am Reply with quote
Mostly things of great psychological or philosophical depth like Haibane Renmei, Boogiepop Phantom, or Serial Experiments Lain. Something that makes me lose sleep attempting to sort out and requires more than one viewing.
ben-chan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:02 pm Reply with quote
It's definitely Gintama.... The series is so funny and it is so special that with just some different kind of jokes, it can last to 200 episodes.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:16 pm Reply with quote
nbahn wrote:
Video Girl Ai
This OAV just cries out to be made into a 13-episode series.
I disagree. I disagree. I disagree. My affections for the anime are bound up with its slightness, and with its gorgeous, delicate artwork. Puffing it up to 13 eps, with the almost inevitable consequent insertion of filler business and coarsening of the artwork, would ruin it!
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:28 pm Reply with quote
ben-chan wrote:
It's definitely Gintama.... The series is so funny and it is so special that with just some different kind of jokes, it can last to 200 episodes.

ah, that's more like the obsessive type of "can't get out of your head"- a show you've seen so much of and are so familiar with that you think of it in everything you do. Like the years when I watched The Simpson's every day, sometimes twice, in syndication. In any situation I could think of a Simpson's quote to fit it.

Definitively a way to look at the category.

These days Azumanga Daioh fits that reckoning the best. Like, whenever I eat rice lately I start thinking of Osaka's "Grains of Truth."
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1