• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Scores of Free Streaming Anime Added to ANN

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nicholas1978

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm a sub fan myself but I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. It is still a good move by ANN. I see some of the series come in dubs and subs. It would be nice if they continued to add subs to the series that list partial episodes in the future. Any information on that or would that be completely up to Joost and the companies that provided the series to them in the first place?
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:36 pm Reply with quote
I wouldn't object to having Avatar Very Happy

Nice job with the joost/hulu deal
Unholy_Nny

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:46 pm Reply with quote
The available library is much larger than I imagined, which is quite awesome.

Major props for doing this, ANN!

Also, I wouldn't mind Avatar. Pretty cool show, and I've only seen parts of it, so it'd be awesome to see more (TV airings are quite unreliable for the repeats)

Also, when I saw "expires soon" my first thought was "Nooooo, time limits suck!", then I noticed that almost everything on that list doesn't expire until June, ehehe.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:47 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
BTW, we've been having some back-and-forth about adding Avatar: The Last Airbender. Not technically anime, but a great show and enjoyed by mostly the same people. Thoughts?
Streaming more animation is a good thing IMO,and Avatar would be a decent pick.

Justin,do you have a choice in the matter? Is there a list? What else can you get? Are there any 80's stuff to pick from?

Despite being a hardcore Japanophile,I wouldn't mind getting a better look at Avatar.I've heard it was good.In truth though,I'm down with anything you can get for ANN.

bobber205 wrote:
Oh god. The dubs.... Shocked
I know,Dub fans are a strange breed,as well as overly vocal.This site for the most part has a big crowd of dub fans,so it's only natural that ANN would cater to them.
letniinside

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:02 pm Reply with quote
posterior_praiser wrote:
Cool! great work ANN Very Happy

DEATH TO ANIME BY STREAMING... very sad reality. streaming sucks...

Ill dug another meters deeper for bleach now... BECAUSE ITS AVAILABILITY THROUGH STREAMING... TSKTSK STREAMING SUCKS
The bleach anime is already suck... buried it several meters under (because of those STUPID FILLERS & POINTLESS FIGHTING)...
I added another meters deeper when bleach manga still having POINTLESS, SENSELESS FIGHTING & POOR STORY/PLOT.
Bleach as whole is a stupid, poor-plotted series (manga/anime) with a lot of pointless fighting. Its a waste of your time.
Watch another 13 or 26 episodes animes, which have really good animation, story & plot. There are plenty of titles to choose.

For Naruto...
Naruto 1 anime is already been burried several kilometers down since the LONGEST FILLER OF AN ANIME 70+ episodes... another filler now at present, still digging grave for it.
I was in NEAR DEATH EXPERIENCE last time when the fillers lasted more than year...
Now that this year NS streamed... that sucks... i dug deeper for naruto anime's grave... now ANN pick this for streaming... i dug deeper grave.

Naruto manga is the only tie that i held for the longest. Naruto manga is a masterpiece.

Death Note streamed? Dont care... I already seen it.
Death Note s a masterpiece...
I recommend to buy & watch it through DVD or BRD... The whole set just recently completed...
Dont watch it through streaming... Streaming gonna ruin your DEATH NOTE EXPERIENCE.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:07 pm Reply with quote
Hey, ANN's really adding a lot of worthwhile content by streaming some anime titles. This can only improve ANN's overall quality.

jsevakis wrote:
Avatar: The Last Airbender... great show

Whoops, spoke too soon.

Why not stream Jackie Chan Adventures and that anime-inspired Teen Titans cartoon, while you're at it? Both of those were pretend anime better than Avatar.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
Justin,do you have a choice in the matter? Is there a list? What else can you get? Are there any 80's stuff to pick from?

We simply added every anime that was currently in the Joost system into our database. We did that about a week ago, and some shows come out weekly and those will have to be added. Right now we're just making sure everything works properly. (So far, so good. The nice part of having someone else stream your video for you!)

The expiration dates are the dates where the show gets removed, not just from ANN but from Joost as well. Most online contracts are pretty short-term, usually 2 years but sometimes less. Joost has been around a while, and the stuff from GONG was signed when they first started up, so it's all going to expire relatively soon. Hopefully they can renew.

We'd love it if there was a more even split between dub and sub, but as for the Joost content, we can only post what they have, and they can only host what they've been provided by their content partners. As we start getting more content directly, we'll try to get both sub and dub if available.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:14 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Hey, ANN's really adding a lot of worthwhile content by streaming some anime titles. This can only improve ANN's overall quality.

jsevakis wrote:
Avatar: The Last Airbender... great show

Whoops, spoke too soon.

Why not stream Jackie Chan Adventures and that anime-inspired Teen Titans cartoon, while you're at it? Both of those were pretend anime better than Avatar.

Uh... haven't seen either of them, but I think Avatar is in fact really good. It's more than just "pretend anime."

But as a possible answer to your question as to why not Jackie Chan Adventures or Teen Titans (though I'm fairly certain you were being sarcastic and dislike them both): as far as I know, neither of them is streamed by Joost. Avatar is. I'm guessing that whatever deal ANN signed allows them to stream most/all of the content on Joost, they just decided (for now) to only stream the anime content.
nicholas1978

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:33 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
We'd love it if there was a more even split between dub and sub, but as for the Joost content, we can only post what they have, and they can only host what they've been provided by their content partners. As we start getting more content directly, we'll try to get both sub and dub if available.

Thanks Justin that answered the question I had about subs and how the providing works.
LKK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
A few of the episodes added this week have not yet been incorporated, but transition will complete within the next couple of days.

Does this explain why I can watch Angelic Layer ep 1 with no problems but get an error code 20032 when trying to watch Slayers ep 1? (Region restrictions shouldn't apply since I'm from the US, right?)
sdhd

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Glad ANN is streaming anime from Joost. The best thing about this is a one stop shop for anime besides FUNimation, and Crunchyroll.

Will ANN have an option where viewers can make comments about the anime episode?
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm not really a big fan of watching anime on my computer, and I'm pretty sure that if I tried doing whatever it is that makes your computer play on your television I'd end up breaking both. Still, seeing Kaiji on there makes me a little happy knowing that I can watch it legally while I wait for it to be licensed. This is a nice little system ANN has, so I look forward to what else will be streamed in the future.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

Being a dick about it is definitely going to get us to listen to you. Works every time chief.
vtnwesley

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:39 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
This deal is with Joost; Joost's deal with the various anime companies allow for "embeds" at other websites. We do plan on adding every anime program Joost adds, as well as more of our own.

BTW, we've been having some back-and-forth about adding Avatar: The Last Airbender. Not technically anime, but a great show and enjoyed by mostly the same people. Thoughts?

Yes please! Avatar is a fantastic show.

As for the nay sayers, well... it isn't like it'll hurt them. They don't have to watch it. I had some misgivings about a certain other video segment because it outright had nothing to do with the subject matter. Avatar (like it or not) does. It may not be traditional anime, but it is (genuinely, as in "not a gimmick") inspired by anime. It also "out-animes" some real anime. It's just a very high quality piece of media.

In fact when it comes to anime, I'm not such a purist as to not allow Transformers Animated or Teen Titans. Just so long as it's the same speed of some of the other material being shown. I mean, over at Crunchyroll people are loving Fairy Musketeers and Shugo Chara... You can't tell me Transformers and Teen Titans is more of a gimmick or more hackeneyed than those, right? o.O

My objections show up when you:

A. Try to be like G4TV
B. Try to be like Adult Swim
C. On the off chance this doesn't work out, start running completely random junk that has nothing to do with anything
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Shadowrun20XX wrote:
bobber205 wrote:
Oh god. The dubs.... Shocked
I know,Dub fans are a strange breed,as well as overly vocal.This site for the most part has a big crowd of dub fans,so it's only natural that ANN would cater to them.
At least we're secure enough in our fandom not to feel the need to constantly whine about the language preferences of other fans. And funny how it was a sub fan to post the first pointlessly antagonist statement. Yes, we dub fans are so vocal. Rolling Eyes

I'd like to say thanks to ANN for continuing to expand and improve upon their streaming service. Up until now, there wasn't anything I was interested in watching but I'm going to check out a couple of these new additions. I've been curious about Angelic Layer for awhile.

It's nice to have more to choose from. I'll throw out a word of support if you guys think you can work a deal to add Avatar. It might help to bring in a little new blood.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7