• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dragon Ball Z Kai (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BellosTheMighty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:

I wonder how fast Goku will reach King K--- er, Kaio-sama--- er, King Kai's little planet. Which, by the way, should have much lower gravity because it's smaller, not the opposite.

Mass != Volume

And besides that, it's in another frakkin' universe. You expect the laws of physics to be the same everywhere? A completely parochial attitude from a three-dimensioneer...
Psyco13

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:40 pm Reply with quote
I really wish they would make the anime hd quality i mean sharpen it up some i mean the intro looks amazing! why is not possible to do that with the whole anime?

you can clearly see a difference in the sound effects though
braves

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Psyco13 wrote:
I really wish they would make the anime hd quality i mean sharpen it up some i mean the intro looks amazing! why is not possible to do that with the whole anime?

It is in HD. You must mean re-animating the whole series.

I'm guessing that they decided to hold off on doing that until 10 years from now. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
penguintruth

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:33 pm Reply with quote
braves wrote:
Psyco13 wrote:

It is in HD. You must mean re-animating the whole series.

I'm guessing that they decided to hold off on doing that until 10 years from now. Wink

It would probably take ten years to do it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
jsc315

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 4:47 pm Reply with quote
Most people who are complaining are probably watching it in regular Standard Def. It looks all the same and really cant tell the detail from the original DVD cut. If you watch it in HD a lot of it looks much better much more vibrant color cleaner animation and the detail in a lot of the minor details just look better over all.
The biggest complaint i have is the opening and ending song. What horrible music for one of the largest anime shows in history. They should have just kept to original music and animation for the open/ending themes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Whalestoe

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2009 5:13 am Reply with quote
It looks a lot better. I'm enjoying the newer pace that the story is proceeding at so far. Do you think they'll eventually air and release this in NA? Hopefully NOT before Dragonball gets put on DVD again...
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 am Reply with quote
Well, it looks like some filler episodes are going to be cut; finally. It took the original English run five episodes to get to Gohan's metamorphosis, and what do you know? It has taken Dragon Ball Kai the same amount of time. I'm beginning to think more and more that 100 episodes is a rather ambitious target.
loraen

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:36 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
Well, it looks like some filler episodes are going to be cut; finally. It took the original English run five episodes to get to Gohan's metamorphosis, and what do you know? It has taken Dragon Ball Kai the same amount of time. I'm beginning to think more and more that 100 episodes is a rather ambitious target.

Well, the beginning of Z was pretty faithful to the manga. I'm expecting things to speed when they start cutting stuff like "I scream for half an episode to power up!" Frieza took 30 episodes to beat, this time around I'm thinking 10 or less. All the characters in Z seem kind of retarded when they let their enemy power up for minutes on end and almost never interrupt. For comparison, I think Bleach with the reiatsu releases does it much better. (ETA: And a major power upping is just a "BANKAI!" and not 5 minutes of screaming and looking constipated)
loraen

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 9:05 am Reply with quote
So, I looked at a list of episodes already aired and compared to the episode names of DBZ. Unless they've done some shuffling around of things (like showing Krillin & co's training), at episode 6 Goku has reached King Kai's planet (episode 18 in DBZ).
This tosses out totally implausible crap from DBZ like Goku getting a ride on a truck (!! .. where exactly is the truck going?), takes a nap and the truck hits a bump so big (!?!?) that Goku falls off Snake Way (!!!??!?) down to Hell / HFIL and spends a few episodes getting out.
Not sure if they completely edited out Princess Snake's place at the midway point or if it's a short pit stop in episode 4 or 5.
Also no Vegeta & Nappa on bug planet.
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:19 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
The only thing that could possibly enhance my enjoyment of this is a dub. Absurd dialogue aside, I thought the Funimation dub was good (although the season or so of Ocean Group was better IMO) and I'd like to hear those voices again. I'm also just not a fan of the Japanese voices for DBZ. They're either really deep or really high and even factoring in the disconnect from my childhood I just don't like them.

I guess I'm one of the few people who really don't like the dub voices. There's a certain distinctly Americanized quality to them that just makes everyone sound like punks. I also think the japanese voices are much more fitting than the American ones given the characters' personality. Especially Gokuu's, I've always thought his dub voice was too low and that the japanese one reflected Gokuu's personality much better. Gokuu is basically a big kid no matter how old he grows, that's part of his charm, and you don't really get that impression from the dub. Gokuu may be funny and naive, but he isn't dumb, which he rather appears to be in the dub.

Last edited by jomy on Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 am; edited 1 time in total
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:25 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
What worries me is that if the episode count is going to be a "mere" 100, and they have used up three already just to dispose of Raditz, then how are they going to fit in everything else? I mean sure, there are virtually entire episodes that can be excised, and the Garlic Junior Saga is probably not going to make the cut. But are they going to go right the way to Kid Buu, including all of his previous forms?

I don't know, it just seems that at the rate they are going we'll finish halfway through the Cell Saga. Though I wouldn't mind if the Buu Saga was just dropped, given how silly it got after a while.

The 100 number was probably just an estimate and not an exact figure. But I for one hope that they do not sacrifice any of the original manga arcs, whether Cell or Majin Buu, just to keep the episode count low. If they did, it wouldn't really be an edited version of Dragon Ball Z.
albert35077

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:28 am Reply with quote
I heard a rumor that an English dub will air on Nicktoons
jomy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:35 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
If you don't at least know what Dragonball Z is you'd have to have literally just seen your first anime, googled the word, and come to this site to ask if there's anything else out there like Naruto.

anime#244

I was passively interested in this since I grew up with the show and kinda wanted to revisit those days with this. Then I heard the OP, a huge grin swept across my face, and I realised I was in for a huge treat.

This really is a show for anyone who liked DBZ as a kid and doesn't want to slog through 300+ episodes (with a hefty chunk being garbage). It's DBZ with every bit of charm you remember and no fillers to spoil it.

The OP and ED are both also really great. Particularly the OP. As much as I fondly remember that trash-rock North America OP it can't compare to the insane charm of 80's J-Pop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAYAMmvCQuQ

I've always liked Dragon Ball Z as long as I could ignore the filler episodes and arcs. Not to mention the movies, those sound pretty horrible too. But Dragon Ball Z had really great BGMs in addition to Kageyama Hironobu's great songs. I don't think anything that they come up in this era will ever match the likes of "Unmei no Hi ~ Tamashii VS Tamashii" or the very cute "Aitsu wa Son Gokuu", and "We Gotta Power" was a pretty cool song too. Even though the current OP and ED themes are nice, they're just no match for the original.

As far as Naruto goes, I've watched one episode and have no interest whatsoever in it. Bleach can be summed up in three words: too many characters. Aside from that though, it's all right, but not as good as D.Gray-Man. And One Piece actually has a more interesting main character than any of the others, and especially more interesting than its plot.
Killhunter75

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 9:10 am Reply with quote
Sorry for the big thread bump, but I'm wondering if I should watch DB Kai or DBZ... At the moment I'm watching the original Dragon Ball for the first time. So what do you guys recommend for a first time watcher, Dragon Kai with the HD and no fillers, or the original Dragon Ball Z with all the episodes. I don't know if DB Kai is censored or that there are awesome story arcs cutout. So I don't now which version is better.
EireformContinent

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 10:25 am Reply with quote
If I were in your shoes I would watch Kai.
I wouldn't call those cut arcs "awesome" ("annoying" could be better) and I didn't noticed any censorship. That doesn't mean it wasn't any- it just doesn't bother me. I tried to watch simultaneously and compare them, but after 10 minutes of original DBZ my hand automatic go to remote control to fast-forward it. The trademark of original DBZ were scenes pulled thought to the edge of common sense, that were shorten in Kai- I doubt if nowadays fan could stand it.
What do you think of USA release? Is it worth purchasing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5